AJS Gems is closing

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I read that.

Very sad.

The hugely growing competition from source dealers and other dealers that are smaller (less overhead) and can charge less for their stones is overwhelming these long time large online dealers. I would expect more to shut down in the future. :(2

I don't know how many knew this but wow, its sad to me. Pretty sure some of us bought too much from them over the years!

In truth, it's probably a good thing. Their quality had been slipping (as is evidenced by all of the diffused sapphires they carry), and Arnold had become increasingly difficult to work with, unfortunately. But perhaps buyers can grab some decent steals with this sale!

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
In truth, it's probably a good thing. Their quality had been slipping (as is evidenced by all of the diffused sapphires they carry), and Arnold had become increasingly difficult to work with, unfortunately. But perhaps buyers can grab some decent steals with this sale!

At least they are honest about diffusion in their Sapphires. Many are not.

They still have one hell of a inventory and while Arnold can be hard to deal with, I don't wish bad for him and his business.

Truth is, he will still most likely be a force in the gemstone world. Just behind the scenes.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a gorgeous Pink Spinel and a few other gemstones from AJS over the last 8-10 years, and always had an excellent experience -- I wish Arnold and his team good fortune in their future endeavors.

At least they are honest about diffusion in their Sapphires. Many are not.

They still have one hell of a inventory and while Arnold can be hard to deal with, I don't wish bad for him and his business.

Truth is, he will still most likely be a force in the gemstone world. Just behind the scenes.

Well, I'm not going to give them a commendation simply because they don't lie about gemstone treatments. They wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes in this industry if they did, and they know that. Frankly, fred, after having been a longstanding and loyal customer with them over the years, I received some terribly disappointing gems, and then a wickedly nasty attitude from Arnold to boot. I won't miss him. If they do continue behind the scenes in the trade, he should let Rung take the lead with customer relations. Arnold is a disagreeable and odious character of the lowest order. I was trying to avoid saying it, but, well, there it is!

That being said, yes, some of their older stock (none of which I've seen move in the last several years) does, from what I can tell, include some nice stones, especially the rubies.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I'm not going to give them a commendation simply because they don't lie about gemstone treatments. They wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes in this industry if they did, and they know that. Frankly, fred, after having been a longstanding and loyal customer with them over the years, I received some terribly disappointing gems, and then a wickedly nasty attitude from Arnold to boot. I won't miss him. If they do continue behind the scenes in the trade, he should let Rung take the lead with customer relations. Arnold is a disagreeable and odious character of the lowest order. I was trying to avoid saying it, but, well, there it is!

That being said, yes, some of their older stock (none of which I've seen move in the last several years) does, from what I can tell, include some nice stones, especially the rubies.

Sounds like spurn to me.

Never wish anyone out of business just because you don't like the owner.

Now, if you did not get refunded or were swindled in some way, then that is a different story.

They have always been high priced. Is that their fault or yours for buying?

Sounds like spurn to me.

Never wish anyone out of business just because you don't like the owner.

Now, if you did not get refunded or were swindled in some way, then that is a different story.

Spurn? That's rather impertinent of you to assume, if I'm being honest. I've related my experience. With all due respect, fred, I'm not sure how you can speak to that with such limited information or particulars. I never said I wished Arnold any anguish or harm, or that he'd go out of business. That's presumptuous of you to say. I simply said I'd had disappointing transactions with him recently, in which I was also treated poorly, and that I won't miss his presence on the interwebs gem scene. You're inferring the rest...

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Spurn? That's rather impertinent of you to assume, if I'm being honest. I've related my experience. With all due respect, fred, I'm not sure how you can speak to that with such limited information or particulars. I never said I wished Arnold any anguish or harm, or that he'd go out of business. That's presumptuous of you to say. I simply said I'd had disappointing transactions with him recently, in which I was also treated poorly, and that I won't miss his presence on the interwebs gem scene. You're inferring the rest...
Um, did not sound that way to me.

"In truth, it's probably a good thing."

"Arnold is a disagreeable and odious character of the lowest order. I was trying to avoid saying it, but, well, there it is!"

But, so be it.

Let's just say it does not break your heart Arnold is closing shop.

Last edited:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Autumn in New England I can appreciate the honesty. I have worked with vendors that I absolutely have said never again, and some that I absolutely loved working with. I think it goes with the territory.

Even though I had good transactions with AJS without any issues, I get and understand where you're coming from and I'm sorry that your transactions were less than ideal.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never purchased anything from them before, however, I have always like their online shop.

Just purchased a couple of items with their 30% closing down discount, a matched pair of pear shaped Petalite as interchangeable earring drops; and an oval Chrysoprase to be set as a ring.

DK :))

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock

I bought my first colored stone which I kept, a heated ruby, from AJS.

Sad to see them closing down :/

Um, did not sound that way to me.

What are you 5? I couldn't care less what it sounded like to you. lol I said precisely what I meant, and that's all anyone need go by. You have exactly zero knowledge of my experiences with AJS. The point is, I'm allowed my opinion and you're allowed yours. But to come at me because you don't agree with mine, while being completely ignorant of the circumstances? Lame. You said it yourself that Arnold is difficult to deal with... I stand by my comments that he is a jerk.

AJS either chose to close the shop for personal reasons or were doing so poorly that they had to. I felt their customer service and newer inventory had gone down hill. The inability to move their older stock is another indication. So, yes, it probably is a good thing. Again though, I never said I wished Arnold harm or misfortune. You straight up put those words in my mouth, and that's not cool. I dislike him tremendously, personally and professionally... I made that much clear. But the other nonsense you mentioned, is just that. Nonsense. Go pick a fight with someone else. I wasn't bothering you.

@Autumn in New England I can appreciate the honesty. I have worked with vendors that I absolutely have said never again, and some that I absolutely loved working with. I think it goes with the territory.

Even though I had good transactions with AJS without any issues, I get and understand where you're coming from and I'm sorry that your transactions were less than ideal.

So sorry to send your well-intentioned thread off on a tangent. Thank you for understanding and respecting my POV. I likewise can appreciate that others have had good experiences with AJS and will remember them fondly.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I received some terribly disappointing gems
Does that mean that they were not as represented on the photos? I’m eyeing a little something but considering how far away I live, return wouldn’t really be a financially feasible option. And they do only have the one single image on their website.

Does that mean that they were not as represented on the photos? I’m eyeing a little something but considering how far away I live, return wouldn’t really be a financially feasible option. And they do only have the one single image on their website.

Yes, there were a couple of issues with colors and quality being vastly different than shown and described. Shipping/insurance both ways can get very expensive, as you know. But the main issue concerned an apatite that arrived with a large chip on the table/girdle that was not disclosed. And that's where Arnold and I butted heads. I'm not a perfect person, of course, but I'm polite and I'm fair. The way I was treated was disgraceful. I will say that I never had an issue with a stone from AJS not being the variety it was described as, or having been treated in a manner that was not previously stated.

I also never once complained about their pricing, so I have no idea where you pulled that one out of...
nuts.gif

Oooooohkay that’s a definite pass then. I had my eye on a small and delicate pink sapphire but if I don’t get the colour I see on the picture then I don’t care for it.

I hate to put you off a gem I'm not familiar with, especially with the great sale price. You can always ask for more photos/videos. But whether you'll receive "I want your money, so I'll grudgingly be polite" Arnold, or "how dare you ask me a question, so I'll angrily berate you" Arnold, is another matter. He must be having some personal issues, because his responses to perfectly innocent and reasonable questions were oftentimes inexplicable and hateful. I also sometimes tend to disagree with his usage of the terms "eye clean," "vivid," and "neon." Rung and Ron, on the other hand, were always patient, professional, and pleasant.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
You can always ask for more photos/videos.

Guess it’s time to hit that “contact us” button and see what happens then. Will report back.

And yeah, I’m not posting a link for obvious reasons. :D There are no vivids or neons in the description. There’s an “almost eye clean” but I can live with less than excellent clarity, especially on such a small scale.

Guess it’s time to hit that “contact us” button and see what happens then. Will report back.

And yeah, I’m not posting a link for obvious reasons. :D There are no vivids or neons in the description. There’s an “almost eye clean” but I can live with less than excellent clarity, especially on such a small scale.

Maybe you'll get lucky and Rung will respond... lol And if the stone ticks all of your boxes, I hope you get it at a great price and love it!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I’ve never gotten anything from AJS given my erm, price sensitivity, but have spent many hours drolling over their beautiful stones. Wish the team behind AJS well whatever they may choose to do going forward.

Am going to miss their gemstone articles too!

Last edited:

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe you'll get lucky and Rung will respond... lol And if the stone ticks all of your boxes, I hope you get it at a great price and love it!

Yes, it was Rung. Sadly the stone sold so apparently I wasn’t the only one eyeing it.

Oh well. I’m not too disappointed, so I guess that says something. It was pretty, though. Hope the new owner loves it.

Yes, it was Rung. Sadly the stone sold so apparently I wasn’t the only one eyeing it.

Oh well. I’m not too disappointed, so I guess that says something. It was pretty, though. Hope the new owner loves it.

That's too bad... but I'm sure you'll eye another "pretty" soon enough! ;-)

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
I hate to put you off a gem I'm not familiar with, especially with the great sale price. You can always ask for more photos/videos. But whether you'll receive "I want your money, so I'll grudgingly be polite" Arnold, or "how dare you ask me a question, so I'll angrily berate you" Arnold, is another matter. He must be having some personal issues, because his responses to perfectly innocent and reasonable questions were oftentimes inexplicable and hateful. I also sometimes tend to disagree with his usage of the terms "eye clean," "vivid," and "neon." Rung and Ron, on the other hand, were always patient, professional, and pleasant.

I only dealt with Ron who was, indeed, very pleasant and professional.

Their prices have indeed risen dramatically over the years, e.g. their rubies, in particular a 3ct heated triangle that magically doubled in price since the last time I checked (probably 1 month ago). Others increased by 60-70% over the last 2-3 months. Then again, other vendors did exactly the same, the situation in Myanmar makes it so any existing inventory appreciates at an alarming rate.

Still said the see them go out of business, the reasons are not publicly disclosed so who knows. But I hear your opinion and truly appreciate the candor, it is essential in a place like this (and anywhere else, really).

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
What are you 5? I couldn't care less what it sounded like to you. lol I said precisely what I meant, and that's all anyone need go by. You have exactly zero knowledge of my experiences with AJS. The point is, I'm allowed my opinion and you're allowed yours. But to come at me because you don't agree with mine, while being completely ignorant of the circumstances? Lame. You said it yourself that Arnold is difficult to deal with... I stand by my comments that he is a jerk.

AJS either chose to close the shop for personal reasons or were doing so poorly that they had to. I felt their customer service and newer inventory had gone down hill. The inability to move their older stock is another indication. So, yes, it probably is a good thing. Again though, I never said I wished Arnold harm or misfortune. You straight up put those words in my mouth, and that's not cool. I dislike him tremendously, personally and professionally... I made that much clear. But the other nonsense you mentioned, is just that. Nonsense. Go pick a fight with someone else. I wasn't bothering you.

"What are you 5? I couldn't care less what it sounded like to you. lol I said precisely what I meant, and that's all anyone need go by."

You sure did.

It takes years of hard work to get to the place AJS Gems was at and many people probably lost their income from his shop closing. I believe he had a cutting factory too. This is just not about Arnold (not sticking up for him) but the people who depended on him.

I was just making a few observations, not really my intent to rouse you as my first reply had no finger pointing and I even said Arnold could be difficult, but then your replied with a little bit a venom, not towards me, but Arnold. He may have deserved it, but there are two sides too every story and he is not here to tell his.

Having been in the business of selling gemstones I know that there are times that can be very frustrating with customers in general. Lot of pressure, especially when times are tough. Sometimes a dealer loses their temper. Not saying it is right or wrong. Not saying it was yours or Arnold's fault. Just saying it is human. I had customers that treated me like a disposable object, dictating to me until I finally said, enough. Not saying you did this, but it does happen.

Refreshing to hear you not candy coat things. Sometimes the real person shows up, because that's human too. Good for you.

Last edited:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have only dealt with Rung and had good experience. I asked a bunch of questions and I guess it was so long ago that they were still sending additional pictures.

JSG2185

Shiny_Rock
Sad to see them go. I dealt with Arnold when I bought my sapphire. He was very nice when I had a some questions. My budget was tight and I wanted a large stone. I appreciate their honesty when it comes to heat or treatment because I hate when dealers lie.

I used to own a business that I ultimately had to close during the pandemic because sales slumped. It’s very hard and sad when these kinds of things happen so I feel bad for AJS. I don’t know why they have to close but I wish them well.

It takes years of hard work to get to the place AJS Gems was at and many people probably lost their income from his shop closing. I believe he had a cutting factory too. This is just not about Arnold (not sticking up for him) but the people who depended on him.

It sure does... but I didn't put them out of business, so I have no idea why you felt, and still feel, the need to direct these comments to me. If anything, I helped keep their company going and employees paid with all of the business I gave them over the years. And, judging by Arnold's behavior, that business was not valued or appreciated in the end. Therein lies my disappointment, to which I'm entitled.

You appear to have a vested interest in this matter, which is curious to me, and seems rather personal. But this is a consumer forum. This is exactly what we're supposed to be discussing, as other people have mentioned in this very thread. Also, this is the first negative review of a vendor I've ever given. To then be met with this reproach from you, a present or former trade member? That's troubling to me.

I was just making a few observations, not really my intent to rouse you as my first reply had no finger pointing and I even said Arnold could be difficult, but then your replied with a little bit a venom, not towards me, but Arnold. He may have deserved it, but there are two sides too every story and he is not here to tell his.

"He may have deserved it." Exactly. And since you are not a party to the transactions, you have zero relevant information to offer on the subject. So for you to start waving fingers at me for relating my personal experience, was meddlesome and arrogant. And I called you on it. Also, it didn't become personal until you accused me of "spurn" and scolded me by saying I should never wish someone out of business for not liking the owner. A. I never said that; and B. Who are are you to reprimand me for an honest comment? This didn't concern you then, and it doesn't concern you now.

Having been in the business of selling gemstones I know that there are times that can be very frustrating with customers in general. Lot of pressure, especially when times are tough. Sometimes a dealer loses their temper. Not saying it is right or wrong. Not saying it was yours or Arnold's fault. Just saying it is human. I had customers that treated me like a disposable object, dictating to me until I finally said, enough. Not saying you did this, but it does happen.

And I'm allowed to be bothered by that poor behavior, as a paying customer who was treated badly. Why is it your place to tell me how to feel? This is why your posts are irritating me... especially since you are or were in the trade. I've only ever treated Arnold, and every single other vendor with whom I've worked, with the utmost respect and courtesy. And that's just how I've always treated the members on this board (more on that in a minute).

Refreshing to hear you not candy coat things. Sometimes the real person shows up, because that's human too. Good for you.

How passive-aggressive of you to point out! Folks like you mistake kindness for weakness. Didn't think I'd challenge you, because I've been good-natured my entire 10 years on this forum? You were wrong (again). Do you often pat yourself on the back for bringing out people's ire? There's another name for that, and it's called a "troll." I've seen you make some intrusive, unfriendly, and instigating comments in your short time on this forum. Yet, you're the first person I've ever had an issue with in 10 years. I'd say that's a pretty strong track record of MY realness.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results