shape
carat
color
clarity

Ahem. My Amelia Stone. Unheated Padparadscha from Richard Wise, take two!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 5:09:40 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Thanks Diana.

The ring below is what I asked for a quote on. Not sure how it would look IRL, but I liked the elements.
Wowzers, how beautiful would that be?? Yellow gold? I wonder if that''s something that Maytal or Ocean Pearlman could do for you....even James Meyer since his pieces are also quite sculpted and organic? I''m curious what someone else would charge for custom work like that - I bet closer to the $2-3000 mark.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 5:19:45 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
This isn''t the one Linda was referring to is it?

It''s lovely though! LOVE IT!
No, that''s the one that I was looking at, not Linda.

But for giggles, check this out. I was on Richard''s website earlier today just seeing what was new and just refreshed the page to see my pad on there.

http://rwwise.com/products/id%7C1555

I will say this however, the photographer did not do the stone justice, IMHO. In person, I''ve never seen the stone look that color, but it could be my monitor, lol. Damn thing is hard to capture. It is much more vibrant and my photos (not the ones on the flashlight) did a better job of capturing it IRL.

But cool nonetheless!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your pictures are MUCH better, his looks kind of tan in color.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Making the grade,

Yes, you are quite right about the image. It is a professional photo, but some stones are simply more photogenic than others. It can be frustrating, because the average internet client is really buying the image. In this case TG did a much better job. An online image can sometimes convince me not to buy, but I must see the stone to make the decision to buy.

I have a number of stones online that truly look better in person, the grading system helps. but it is very difficult to get clients to understand that what they see online is not the gemstone. When you purchase a gemstone you are also buying the eye of the dealer. Luckily some clients trust my eye.

Cheers,

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2009 11:27:58 AM
Author: Richard W. Wise
Making the grade,

Yes, you are quite right about the image. It is a professional photo, but some stones are simply more photogenic than others. It can be frustrating, because the average internet client is really buying the image. In this case TG did a much better job. An online image can sometimes convince me not to buy, but I must see the stone to make the decision to buy.

I have a number of stones online that truly look better in person, the grading system helps. but it is very difficult to get clients to understand that what they see online is not the gemstone. When you purchase a gemstone you are also buying the eye of the dealer. Luckily some clients trust my eye.

Cheers,

Oh, just to be clear, I certainly wasn''t trying to insult your photographer or you, in the last few days I''ve learned how hard it can be to photograph a pad :/ I was just trying to commend TGal on her wonderful job and lovely new acquisition! You certainly have an amazing reputation here :)

(P.S. I really enjoyed your book!)

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 11:27:58 AM
Author: Richard W. Wise
Making the grade,

Cheers,
I certainly believe this is true. The sapphire that I just bought from Wink that was cut by Richard Homer doesn''t look nearly as pretty in the photographs as it does in person.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 5:10:10 PM
front
TGal, I love this setting! I love the organic elements!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you made a decision yet TGal? I love that setting on the last page. Not entirely sure about the little diamond buds, but still, it''s stunning.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Freke, no final decision yet but pretty much decided on JM. I wasn''t sure about the flower buds either since this image is maginified. Honestly, I don''t love the entire setting, but I like the elements of it.

Richard thanks for your two cents...I put my thoughts on this thread on the pro photo before I saw your thoughts on the email link you sent and on your online eval. Funny that we are on the same page. It''s a hard stone to photograph for sure...I got some ugly shots as well. I''m thinking the pro photograph must be reflecting the gray around it or something...the stone has no gray or brown undertones at all. Either way, I''m happy to have the stone.

Speaking of pads from Richard, he has a suite I just saw on his site of pastel sapphires, including a 4 carat pad. Did I read that right??? Some cool new stones...might have to start a new thread on that emerald separately - I loved it!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also saw that suite of sapphires, they are gorgeous!!!! I would love to own them.

T-Gal, I can''t wait to see your beautiful pad in the new setting. Hurry up, I am very impatient yanno?????
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
The setting you picked is perfect!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
AWESOME!!!! LOVE IT!!!

Lori

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
this is a PERFECT example of a pad

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Update:

The pad has been sitting around collecting dust. I just didn''t know for sure how I wanted to set it, and the setting I liked cost 5K. Since I didn''t get a bonus this year, I was in a bit of limbo...

Well, got a call today from my boss that we are indeed getting a bonus this year and it will be deposited tomorrow!!! So next week I''m going to visit a few local jewelers and hopefully get this thing set in the next month or two. JM and Leon are still contenders, but I really would prefer to have the work done locally.

Anyway, thought I''d provide an update for the curious.
35.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
HA, you know we're curious!
9.gif
Congrats on the bonus; it must have been such a lovely surprise.

So if JM and Leon are still in the running, it sounds like you have not even really decided on a style yet. Leaning any particular direction? (maybe you'll help me set my spess too
11.gif
)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2009 3:54:22 PM
Author: icekid
HA, you know we''re curious!
9.gif
Congrats on the bonus; it must have been such a lovely surprise.

So if JM and Leon are still in the running, it sounds like you have not even really decided on a style yet. Leaning any particular direction? (maybe you''ll help me set my spess too
11.gif
)
I''m waiting to see how you set your spess first!

Honestly, while I love the JM rings, I''m not sure if it''s the right setting for this stone. I''m also not in love with them as I once was, but it is still a stunning ring.

Leon is in the running because everything I see from him is just gorgeous.

I''m going to revisit Singlestone and 23rd street jewelers, I think.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay for bonuses!
Can''t wait to see how you set it :)

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
Whoot whoot!!! I can''t wait to see it either!
36.gif

I gotta say, I was SHOCKED with the prices I got from 23rd Street...made Leon seem like a bargain!
25.gif

That pad is just so delicately beautiful...the setting is going to have to be pretty special, huh?

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So looking forward to seeing what you choose for a setting! I know it will be a knockout!!!!!!!!!!!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2009 6:39:24 PM
Author: DianaBanana
36.gif

I gotta say, I was SHOCKED with the prices I got from 23rd Street...made Leon seem like a bargain!
25.gif

That pad is just so delicately beautiful...the setting is going to have to be pretty special, huh?
Well, hopefully soon - sometime before summer ladies!

Diana, I know. I got quoted 5K at 23rd street. I have never gotten a formal quote from leon. May I ask if your setting was at least below 5K? Maybe I should send my stone to him and be done with it. Lord knows that man knows how to set a rock.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
T-Gal, I just saw your latest post. YAY YAY YAY, you get to set your Pad
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Oh boy!!! I can''t wait to see what you choose for that yummmy, delicious looking beauty.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
How exciting! Can''t wait to see how this turns out.
35.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
If this is BAILOUT bonus bling I don''t wanna know ''bouts it!
38.gif
11.gif
HOW EXCITING!!! Wallermama''s new Singlestone is out of this world. Maybe even usurping the holy grailness of a certain vintage setting we''ve all admired for years now
27.gif
. GAH is it expensive though. Expletive!!!

Can''t wait to see what you decide! And oogle the (ill-gotten??) goods!!
25.gif
25.gif
25.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2009 11:31:15 AM
Author: decodelighted
If this is BAILOUT bonus bling I don''t wanna know ''bouts it!
38.gif
11.gif
HOW EXCITING!!! Wallermama''s new Singlestone is out of this world. Maybe even usurping the holy grailness of a certain vintage setting we''ve all admired for years now
27.gif
. GAH is it expensive though. Expletive!!!

Can''t wait to see what you decide! And oogle the (ill-gotten??) goods!!
25.gif
25.gif
25.gif
Thanks again gals. I''m excited to FINALLY get this project underway. I''ve had the stone since February and the pad search started back in December when the JW pad came up.

Deco, ha, no bailout bonus. Just a bonus for a solid work of sales!

Singlestone quoted 3300 on a setting when I was in the store. It was in platinum with a diamond halo (not that I want a halo, but I was curious). That is much more reasonable than the 5K I was quoted at 23rd street. I am wondering if Leon would be even more reasonable.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Yay for a bonus and double yay for a setting for that gorgeous stone!! I got a quote from Leon and it was very reasonable (cheaper than my quotes from SS). Can''t wait to see what you come up with!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!!! Congrats on finally finishing your search. I hope you had some fun searching, along with the dissapointments. And I hope you have a wonderful time setting this lovely stone.

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/8/2009 3:32:26 AM

Date: 5/7/2009 6:39:24 PM
Author: DianaBanana
36.gif

25.gif

Well, hopefully soon - sometime before summer ladies!

Diana, I know. I got quoted 5K at 23rd street. I have never gotten a formal quote from leon. May I ask if your setting was at least below 5K? Maybe I should send my stone to him and be done with it. Lord knows that man knows how to set a rock.
I still don''t have the setting totally figured out
20.gif
...it''s a work in progress! However, if you saw the drawing of my sapphire with the pear sides all halo''d, that design came in right at $5K including all stones. And we both liked this one which was $5880 including stones......

r945_008Wwantiquehalo.jpg

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
For reference....I got a quote on this one from 23rd Street - $6700! It's a beautiful design, but it just wasn't worth that much to me.

They weren't able to tell me the carat weight of the melee, she said no one had ever asked her for that before.....I also asked if the stones would be single cut and she said, "oh no, we only use full cut diamonds" - I told her that I'd heard single cuts give more sparkle when they're that small and she assured me that "no, it's the opposite, they sparkle less".

Of course I may have had a different experience with a different sales rep but I was left feeling underwhelmed. I can't knock the settings though, they are quite beautiful but not necesarily that unique IMHO.

dSMR3702-lg.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2009 11:54:31 AM
Singlestone quoted 3300 on a setting when I was in the store. It was in platinum with a diamond halo (not that I want a halo, but I was curious). That is much more reasonable than the 5K I was quoted at 23rd street. I am wondering if Leon would be even more reasonable.
Ahhhh. I think I misread ... somehow I thought the Singlestone was 5K ... $3300 sounds within reason. I don''t imagine Leon would be *much* less for a halo, if *any* less. If you want pave, pave -- Leon is the master. If you want subtle antique reproduction ... Singlestone is king. You''re lucky that you can go & ooooooogly schoomgly all the Singlestone treasures in person. Sigh. But if simple, sleek, crisp pave is calling to you -- Leon all the way.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deco, no, pave is not calling my name. The ring I am interested in at 23rd has a milgrain very thin bezel, would be in rose gold with french cut diamond sides. Singlestone has something similar but the 23rd street one was exquisite in its detailing and balance.

Diana, yes, I''ve been following your thread. FYI, that setting (or something extremely close) is the one I inquired about at Singlestone. Drop dead price was either 3300 or 3500, I can''t remember. I am not sure if he gave a discount for me being a PS member (I didn''t ask for one, but based on my "lingo", Patti asked me if I was from Pricescope.) So obviously Singlestone is way cheaper than 23rd street.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results