shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on choosing a lab grown diamond

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know. What a bummer!. I’d totally order it in loose, but hate to waste my one return on that if I didn’t like it since I’ll be doing a custom ring with them. I guess since the ASET images looked good on the F, I’ll play it safe and go with the F. However, I know it’ll probably always bug me wondering “what if” that G performed noticeably better lol

The F's ASET is excellent with no leakage, so the G won't perform "better," just differently, if it can be noticed at all.

aapple0112

Shiny_Rock
Kim N do you see any blue nuance with this one?
I don't see any, but I want a second set of keen eyes, if you don't mind.

Larger view here, in case needed
Video

sheezacowgurl

Rough_Rock
The F's ASET is excellent with no leakage, so the G won't perform "better," just differently, if it can be noticed at all.

Since we have seen the F's ASET, I do feel better about it, but wouldn't the G have just as good of an ASET image since the proportions are great? Are you able to see the color difference in the two photos DejaWiz posted? There I can tell the G is a bit warmer and the F has a darkness to it. Am I wrong about the darkness and am just not seeing as much warmth in it?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since we have seen the F's ASET, I do feel better about it, but wouldn't the G have just as good of an ASET image since the proportions are great? Are you able to see the color difference in the two photos DejaWiz posted? There I can tell the G is a bit warmer and the F has a darkness to it. Am I wrong about the darkness and am just not seeing as much warmth in it?

I think the darkness can be attributed to the photography environment, since you thought the F looked brighter in the face-up view but darker in the side view. The G will likely have a good ASET image based on the proportions and the video, but we wouldn't know with 100% certainty. I do see the color difference in the videos.

sheezacowgurl

Rough_Rock
I think the darkness can be attributed to the photography environment, since you thought the F looked brighter in the face-up view but darker in the side view. The G will likely have a good ASET image based on the proportions and the video, but we wouldn't know with 100% certainty. I do see the color difference in the videos.

Looking at the face up pictures again, and I think the F maybe was in brighter lighting. Kinda looks like some of the bold flashes were captured making me think it's brighter.

sheezacowgurl

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone, thanks for the help the other night! So FD says the G is not available. I do still see it on another site though. Maybe it just hasn't updated yet? She sent me over a couple more videos since they finally have some sun today.
20230128_113149.mp4

20230128_123226.mp4

20230128_113128.mp4

Anyone see a reason to keep looking for one that performs better? I notice with the sunlight videos it seems to be more yellow/brown, especially when viewing the diamond from the side, compared to the original videos she sent me. Is this to be expected? Thanks!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hey everyone, thanks for the help the other night! So FD says the G is not available. I do still see it on another site though. Maybe it just hasn't updated yet? She sent me over a couple more videos since they finally have some sun today.
20230128_113149.mp4

20230128_123226.mp4

20230128_113128.mp4

Anyone see a reason to keep looking for one that performs better? I notice with the sunlight videos it seems to be more yellow/brown, especially when viewing the diamond from the side, compared to the original videos she sent me. Is this to be expected? Thanks!

Good gravy that thing is an absolute fireball.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
20230128_113149.mp4

20230128_123226.mp4

20230128_113128.mp4

It performs beautifully, and I don't see any abnormal tint. Keep in mind the FD rep is wearing brown.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I know! I don't think I've ever seen this bold of flashes!

I think you should go for it. Seriously.
After posting these videos of such amazing optical performance for the whole world to see, someone else will snag it if you don't.

sheezacowgurl

Rough_Rock
It performs beautifully, and I don't see any abnormal tint. Keep in mind the FD rep is wearing brown.

I was kinda bummed the G wasn't available since it had better proportions, but she says after seeing this F, she doesn't believe the G would perform any better. I mean the proportions of the F isn't that drastic from the G and honestly I don't want it to be too warm. I kinda think this one is really warm in the sunlight videos, but your point about her sweater explains it :). I think I'm just seeing her sweater reflect brown and it does look more white in the video showing the side view she added with the tweezers putting it further from her.

sheezacowgurl

Rough_Rock
I think you should go for it. Seriously.
After posting these videos of such amazing optical performance for the whole world to see, someone else will snag it if you don't.

FD has the diamond in hand and we just paid! No one is snatching this beauty up lol! Thank you all for the help and answering ALL my questions. Very much appreciated!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
FD has the diamond in hand and we just paid! No one is snatching this beauty up lol! Thank you all for the help and answering ALL my questions. Very much appreciated!

AWESOME! We're going to need a ton of pictures and videos when you receive it!

aapple0112

Shiny_Rock
Awesome! Can‘t wait to see the final product! FD make beautiful ring!

sheezacowgurl

Rough_Rock
My rings came! The setting is absolutely perfect! It is exactly what I wanted! It's amazing the details on a custom setting compared to the same style mass produced setting! I spent some time yesterday checking the diamond out in different lighting. It performs beautifully, but I feel uneasy that it may be too warm for my liking. In a few different lighting it was almost like it looked pale yellow to me, but I couldn't capture the intensity of the warmth on my cell camera. I only have the D diamond I had previously to compare to from some of the pictures I took of it. I do think this diamond performs better and am now questioning if maybe the one I had just wasn't great and I thought it was due to the D color that was making it look dark/steely blue grey. I know I'm very color sensitive and in stores I can easily see a lot of warmth in G diamonds and preferred a better color. Maybe this F is really closer to a G in color? The lady helping me at Frank Darling said it is a solid F because Gs look warmer than this. I'm contemplating swapping it out for a D. Part of it is me not knowing enough how the same diamond will look different in different lighting. Would a D still look warm/yellowish in certain lighting? I'm wondering if I'm just being paranoid and it's the lighting. For instance, in my bathroom it looks really warm at night. I believe those are the type of bulbs that look more warm though verses more cool toned bulbs. I even look more tan/warmer in my bathroom and I'm pale lol! Do you think in this type lighting the D would look the same or would it remain bright white? I viewed it this morning in the bathroom with sunlight coming in and the lights on and it did not look warm. Here are some pictures I took of the D and then replicated it with this diamond in the same position in my house. I only liked the previous D I had when it was bright white. That steely/grey blue look I didn’t like and thought it looked like that because it was a D. The lady at Frank Darling also said diamonds shouldn't look steely and the D I had probably had grey undertones to it and getting another D, you run the risk of that again.

D in kitchen at night. This is the steely grey I'm referring to.
1677165543635.jpeg

F
1677165646961.jpeg

F still in kitchen, but here it looks warm/yellow
1677165691445.jpeg

This was the D and the only time I liked how it looked - when it was bright white
1677165794010.jpeg

F
1677165841070.jpeg

D in bathroom at night. It doesn't stay bright white here, so maybe it is just the lighting
1677166003186.jpeg

F in bathroom at night when I'm questioning if it's too warm. Only thing I had the same size to compare to was loose this CZ
1677166068800.jpeg

IMG_0213.jpeg
IMG_0212.jpeg

D
1677166248371.jpeg

F
1677166262157.jpeg

D sunlight
1677166650712.jpeg

F sunlight
IMG_0290.jpeg

D in the shade during the day
IMG_9306.jpeg

F
IMG_0260.jpeg

Would u say my F looks like a true F and not warmer than that? If I were to get another D without the grey to it, do u think it would be noticeable if they weren’t side by side to compare to? Since this diamond’s price was so great, I’d hate to spend a lot more on a D for it to look steely grey or end up looking warmer in the same lighting that this looks warmer. Why change it if it’s just the lighting or I could only tell a slight difference between a D and F only if they were side by side. Am I being paranoid/hyper critical about the color?

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock
How does the F look outside to you? Look at the side as that’s how color is graded. It looks like you have cream/beige colored walls so it may be reflecting color from them and the warm colored lights.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There should be no discernable color in D colored diamonds, but all diamonds can pick up different colors from the environment. Maybe the steel gray in your original diamond has more to do with the cut/environment. I'm not sure.

Your new diamond looks lovely to me, but it's very difficult to try to judge diamond color from photos, IMHO.

Diamonds with the same grades and specs can still have different personalities. It sounds like you prefer the personality/performance of your new diamond, but would perhaps like it to have less warmth? If so, I would definitely consider trying another diamond. Is there any way you can order a D or E with a similar cut to compare?

Edited to add that no, you are not being paranoid. I'm super color sensitive. I can absolutely see the difference between a D and an F when viewing them in person.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The F does look like a true F and looks beautiful to me. I agree with Txborn79 that it looks like it's picking up color from your walls and indoor lights.

I would keep wearing it around at all times and see how you continue to feel about it.

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
I love the way both diamonds look. I agree with @Kim N and keep wearing it to see how you feel about it in the days to come.
My EGD is a G and my LGD is a D……I had to get used to it being so white.

sheezacowgurl

Rough_Rock
How does the F look outside to you? Look at the side as that’s how color is graded. It looks like you have cream/beige colored walls so it may be reflecting color from them and the warm colored lights.

I think it is picking up the wall color and warm colored lights at night. Outside in the sunlight the D diamond would look blue and this F looks teal/green.

sheezacowgurl

Rough_Rock
There should be no discernable color in D colored diamonds, but all diamonds can pick up different colors from the environment. Maybe the steel gray in your original diamond has more to do with the cut/environment. I'm not sure.

Your new diamond looks lovely to me, but it's very difficult to try to judge diamond color from photos, IMHO.

Diamonds with the same grades and specs can still have different personalities. It sounds like you prefer the personality/performance of your new diamond, but would perhaps like it to have less warmth? If so, I would definitely consider trying another diamond. Is there any way you can order a D or E with a similar cut to compare?

Edited to add that no, you are not being paranoid. I'm super color sensitive. I can absolutely see the difference between a D and an F when viewing them in person.

Yes! I could easily see the difference between a D and F in the store. I’m only wondering if the F will bother me in the long run or will I let it go (after the return period is over) and then be happy with it. I feel like it won’t be as noticeable to me like it is in stores when a D and F are side by side. I really like the bright white of the D when it’s white, but I think it kinda does stand out whereas the F maybe looks more “natural” as in closer to the color I see on most people. Even though the D diamond I had was ideal cut and hearts and arrows, the F I feel performs better. Maybe the bulky prongs on the D interfered with it, I don’t know.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! I could easily see the difference between a D and F in the store. I’m only wondering if the F will bother me in the long run or will I let it go (after the return period is over) and then be happy with it. I feel like it won’t be as noticeable to me like it is in stores when a D and F are side by side. I really like the bright white of the D when it’s white, but I think it kinda does stand out whereas the F maybe looks more “natural” as in closer to the color I see on most people. Even though the D diamond I had was ideal cut and hearts and arrows, the F I feel performs better. Maybe the bulky prongs on the D interfered with it, I don’t know.
It's a tough decision only you can make. If you could only have "one" diamond, the D or F which would you choose? Which would you be most upset to give up?

Also, by definition, LGs are "real" diamonds, and EG diamonds can be Ds too. ;-)

Maybe E is your sweet spot?

I totally get what you are going through. I'm having similar thoughts about my LG. It's large, beautifully cut, and white, but I sometimes miss that icy whiteness that my EG Ds have. Sorry for rambling. Decisions, decisions....

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just staring up front for I much prefer icy whiteness in my MRBs, and have a 2.47 E ACA. I get your dilemma. I think the F is weirdly brighter than the D but I think that has something to do with the size. The F looks much bigger. I’ve seen super ideal Ds that I liked and some not as much. If you’re second guessing this much I would try a different larger E or D. You may have mind-clean issues with F color and trust your gut. The D is just not as pretty as the F.

sheezacowgurl

Rough_Rock
Just staring up front for I much prefer icy whiteness in my MRBs, and have a 2.47 E ACA. I get your dilemma. I think the F is weirdly brighter than the D but I think that has something to do with the size. The F looks much bigger. I’ve seen super ideal Ds that I liked and some not as much. If you’re second guessing this much I would try a different larger E or D. You may have mind-clean issues with F color and trust your gut. The D is just not as pretty as the F.

The D was 1.53 and this F is 2.07. I wore it out today shopping. It was overcast today with no sun peaking through. Walking on pavement in the parking lots with no green grass around, the diamond was bright white. In the stores like Costco or kohls with high ceilings, it had plenty of sparkle and fire, but it looked noticeably warm to me. It didn’t stay bright white like how it looked outside. Is this because of the surroundings and lighting in the stores? Would a D look warmer in the stores too?

sheezacowgurl

Rough_Rock
Hi all! Ok, so I've been wearing it in different lighting. I can definitely see the difference in color when comparing to the CZ my friend sent. The CZ is white/cool blue toned where I feel mine looks yellow warm toned. It's beautiful, but it's still bugging me if the warmness will bother me later, so trying to figure it out while I can still exchange it! Just hate to do that if a D or E diamond won't look any different than my F now. The lady at FD helping me said CZ doesn't really trap color the same way diamonds do - so in warm environments, the D will still be warm- just not as warm as the F.

Here are two I was looking at, but they cannot get these in on memo. I would have to purchase one.
https://frankdarling.com/diamonds/diamond-P44E-149EL/

https://frankdarling.com/diamonds/diamond-P45A-10EL/

Do you think either of these looks any whiter/less warm toned than my current diamond?

Screenshots of my F diamond now since the video is no longer available
9905147A-B959-45E6-8C03-1E2B05513020.jpeg
CBD12D1C-FACF-494B-BD80-807FDBBB6F02.jpeg

I feel like there’s a very noticeable difference to my eye of the yellow warm tone in this diamond verses the cool blueish tone of the CZ. If the D diamond will still show warm tone then I don’t think it’ll be as noticeable like how the cz stands out to me now.
9E97A648-A3C2-4B19-9961-C976B4096ED3.jpeg 472E59E9-12AB-4B86-86A2-3DDF8D7A736D.jpeg 04C09B63-DADF-44BA-9BF9-0CBC41DCFB36.jpeg AAB5DDD7-A02D-4C88-96EE-1E54CE07DEC9.jpeg 0CD63C41-E8E0-469C-8454-52C724811669.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results