shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice for the Purist..D IF or D VVS1?

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking of getting a local setting here where I live! Part of that also revolves around the fact that if there are sizing issues, I don't necessarily want to ship the ring back and forth, etc.
I bet HPD would provide a shipping label with insurance if resizing after the initial purchase was needed, but that would be a question to ask them up front should you decide to use them for setting. Their settings are of the highest quality.

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you are a purist go with the CBI stone as it is a way better stone most likely. Cut is king with stones, and no VVS stone is going to have an issue with inclusions. You will know you bought her the best with the CBI, and that seems to be what you are after.

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, and one more thing. I have a D IF, back before my pricescope days. It’s my least favorite stone. The D/IF isn’t noticeable to my eyes, I prefer a stone that has an event better cut. I also have a D VS1, and there is no way I could ever find a flaw. As for color I don’t really see any difference between D-H but I’m not sensitive to that. A well cut stone will be prettier every time. And if you want the best you know you will get it at a few places like CBI.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
You are asking what is better based on two certificates: one is GIA and the other is AGS.

Seems like a no-brainer to me? am I wrong? It would be the one tested for light performance and accurate specifications, right? The AGS! Also ... think about the definition of VVS1 .... it is virtually IF ... those feathers are at most difficult to see by an expert at 10x ... so at 20x, that IF might just have feathers that an expert can see too.

One other thing. A D IF is dangerously close to a man-made diamond. I actually prefer some tiny natural inclusions ... they are more reliable than inscriptions for diamond ID.

btw, I am still in love with my D VVS2 (mind issues too) and I still prefer it over my stupid G IF earrings.

All just my opinion, of course.

Good luck!

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
AF3D8951-429E-4668-9D67-72790339B880.png
I bet HPD would provide a shipping label with insurance if resizing after the initial purchase was needed, but that would be a question to ask them up front should you decide to use them for setting. Their settings are of the highest quality.
One free ring resizing included.
Per HPD website see above.

Attachments

• 8999943A-59D8-4BF8-8EFB-AB4B22CC0345.png
    8999943A-59D8-4BF8-8EFB-AB4B22CC0345.png
    279.4 KB · Views: 38
  • B87BC4ED-C492-442F-8A0B-C5EF346D97D0.png
    B87BC4ED-C492-442F-8A0B-C5EF346D97D0.png
    279.4 KB · Views: 46

rocheapplied

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the advice!

I've narrowed it down to two diamonds. Would love to get everyone's opinion on what is the better cut and better diamond overall!!

A 0.40 F VVS1 - Two Pinpoints, however it has a larger table size (57.1%)
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10580

image 2.jpeg

vs. A 0.42 E VVS1 - 3 Small Feathers, but with a smaller table size (55.3%)
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10583

image 1.jpeg

The most noticeable difference seems to be more contrast around the table for the 0.42 E Diamond - is this better?

The ASET Scope seems to be different for the two as well..I'm curious which of the two display better fire??

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the .42. I love a smaller table, and I think you should do at least .42 and up to .44 .46 or so.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just making sure you see that I chose the .43 E. :D I have a tendency to edit posts when I should just make a new one.

rocheapplied

Rough_Rock
This one? .45 E vs1 (my asscher is vs1 and I can’t see anything with a 10x loupe)

https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD9756

Or this one: https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonds/diamonds-search .43 E vvs1

I’d really nudge it up a point or two. Trust us on this lol

I changed my mind, I personally would pick the .43 E VVS1 that only has pinpoints underneath (so to speak)

Hey whitewave,

How about this one vs the 0.42??

https://black.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond-details/bkcags-104107046002

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

There is nothing wrong with that one. It’s going to be gorgeous (in my avatar, the two diamonds with the sapphire are CBI and the six with the aquamarine are BG signature).

I think you may be getting analysis paralysis. You seemed adamant on staying below 50 points, so if you start with the 50s you might drive yourself crazy. Lol.

Maybe take a break and think about what your gut tells you in terms of size and clarity. We know you want DEF for color.

rocheapplied

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice! Yes lol I've been driving myself crazy. I didnt know how picky I was! :cry:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't mind paying more if its a considerably better stone :appl:

It’s a bigger stone.

When you get into super ideals, you start getting into factors like who cuts the stone, does that matter to you, etc, what is the range of parameters, etc.

rocheapplied

Rough_Rock
It’s a bigger stone.

When you get into super ideals, you start getting into factors like who cuts the stone, does that matter to you, etc, what is the range of parameters, etc.

Would you say Brian Gavin Black and CBI are the same in terms of quality?

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't mind paying more if its a considerably better stone
Now you're talkin'!! It's not considerably better, just considerably bigger and more expensive.

Last edited:

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
PSers were not consulted for this article. :roll2:
Anyway, hopefully you have enough info to make your purchase.
I kinda believed the article until it said working women in LA don’t feel comfortable wearing big rings. Are you kidding me! My daughter who has a colored stone er told me when she saw my 3.13 CBI diamond er: I would so wear that! Personally I think they are buying small rings because that’s what they can afford. Think student loans.

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
Oh and my daughter is 24 btw.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

"When’s the last time you saw a huge-ass, wait-is-that-actually-real diamond on the perfectly manicured finger of your #Engaged friend’s “Some personal news!” Insta post?"

Uh, any time anyone got engaged???

I do know a lot of people who have smaller diamonds and are only into smaller diamonds. COINCIDENTALLY these people make much, much less money than those who have and prefer larger diamonds. I suspect the smaller diamond trend is due almost entirely to how comparatively less wealthy millennials are to the previous several generations.

"and by “smaller,” we mean those hovering around the one-carat neighborhood."

uh, ok, so by "smaller" they mean "the average engagement ring stone size"?? that's a way to define it. lol.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"When’s the last time you saw a huge-ass, wait-is-that-actually-real diamond on the perfectly manicured finger of your #Engaged friend’s “Some personal news!” Insta post?"

Uh, any time anyone got engaged???

I do know a lot of people who have smaller diamonds and are only into smaller diamonds. COINCIDENTALLY these people make much, much less money than those who have and prefer larger diamonds. I suspect the smaller diamond trend is due almost entirely to how comparatively less wealthy millennials are to the previous several generations.

"and by “smaller,” we mean those hovering around the one-carat neighborhood."

uh, ok, so by "smaller" they mean "the average engagement ring stone size"?? that's a way to define it. lol.
Exactly! BTW, I dig your sapphire!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results