shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice for the Purist..D IF or D VVS1?

sunshowers

Rough_Rock
@sunshowers i applaud you for being honest in your reflections. Respect. Girl just go buy yourself another big rock. Keep the one you have. Get another if you want bigger sparkles. No shame in that.

I wouldn't want to hurt his feelings by replacing the stone he picked out and proposed with, at least not so soon. But the thought has crossed my mind that maybe I could sneakily swap out the stone for a bigger one and he might not even notice the difference? :P2 Perhaps sometime in the future, we'll make use of the vendor's diamond upgrade policy.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My stepmother compromised on D VVS2 with incredible light performance from good old gold. She's considering EVS1 for an upgrade. You do you!

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
I concur with most of the above.
IF is not “pure”; the inclusions are not seen with the naked eye at 10x magnification.
You can score points with a super ideal diamond at VS-VVS clarity, at D-E color with excellent spread (not weight).
My advice: call HBD & discuss CBI between .50ct-.80ct with a spread that is equivalent to that of 0.20mm (give or take), compared to a traditional MRB. Super ideals face up whiter, and larger because of their superior CUT.
If you have an unlimited budget, you should be seeking the top dog.

https://www.hpdiamonds.com/
Please help me with the abbreviations, call H BD,MRB? THANKS

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
HBD should actually be HPD: High Performance Diamonds

CBI: Crafted By Infinity

MRB: Modern Round Brilliant

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HPD=High Performance Diamonds (stinking typo...lol!!)

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't want to hurt his feelings by replacing the stone he picked out and proposed with, at least not so soon. But the thought has crossed my mind that maybe I could sneakily swap out the stone for a bigger one and he might not even notice the difference? :P2 Perhaps sometime in the future, we'll make use of the vendor's diamond upgrade policy.

I recently sat down & had a heart to heart with my DH re: upgrading my EC. I was VERY careful, and gentle; I would never want to hurt him or insult him. My EC has a lot of sentimental value for both of us, and I really don’t want to part with it. He was fine with the idea....down the line.
I, however, prefer to keep my EC, find a match for it, and make earrings. Then, purchase a larger EC for my ER...lol!!
We shall see what transpires, in our future.
For now, I’m thrilled with my EC, and I ogle at it all the time...lol!! I’m extremely appreciative of what I have been blessed with...but I’m a “bigger is better” kinda gal...lol!!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
On a side note, I read today that the average engagement ring in the US is 1.2 carats for a center stone, with an average of 1.8 total carat weight.

I’m gong to post another thread with a couple of fun diamond articles :wink2:

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love your high standards let us know what you decide! With pics :roll

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually I think, at least among some circles of people, it’s seen as a little classless/ “bougie” to have a giant ring, especially when you’re young.

My actual ering is 1.72 in the center and two .45 sides, and I have to explain all the time that the big rock is heirloom. I get a lot more compliments on my .52 Tiffany Novo that my husband ended up getting me. I think the idea of “understated” is coming back along with the idea of minimalism.

My “upgrade” is going to be a .45ish CBI, I think. I’m trying to decide on a setting from a Sholdt.

We get a little jaded on here but some people really are just “small stone” people.

Totally :cool2: that you’re a “small stone” person. I’m not - that’s :cool2: too.

But you don’t have to explain [away] or defend your e-ring to anyone :kiss2: Ever. Whatever size and shape it is, whatever stone(s) it’s got, whatever the specs on that stone. My other half has the perfect response to nosy Judgy McJudgeroo-ing: “that seems like a you problem” :mrgreen2:

rocheapplied

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone!

Thank you so much for providing very thoughtful and useful comments! I enjoyed reading everyone's perspective - this forum is amazing in that everyone is so passionate and willing to help anyone out!

My apologies for not getting back to everyone as to my decision - I had a bit of a health scare, which put a huge dent into my search. I am all better now (knock on wood), and am resuming this awesome thread!

I did a bit of covert ops over the weekend - took my soon to be fiance to a jeweler store. She tried on a couple of rings and............drumroll...........she actually liked smaller diamonds! She explained to me she likes more "daintier" stuff, and would feel a big rock would actually look "weird and uncomfortable on her." I kind of find it amusing that myself as a guy would prefer to go the 0.7-1 carat route =)2

I still have the original diamond in mind, (0.41) D IF

IMG_0247.JPG

However, am comparing it now to this one (0.42) E VVS1

IMG_0248.JPG

They are both the same price, however the E VVS1 has a total of 3 feathers, which is concerning for me, and a bit of a dent to my purist ideals. It is also a CBI (I have been reading with interest, and know this forum loves it)

Given this, which one of the two diamonds has better proportions?

Cheers and thank you all again!!!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello everyone!

Thank you so much for providing very thoughtful and useful comments! I enjoyed reading everyone's perspective - this forum is amazing in that everyone is so passionate and willing to help anyone out!

My apologies for not getting back to everyone as to my decision - I had a bit of a health scare, which put a huge dent into my search. I am all better now (knock on wood), and am resuming this awesome thread!

I did a bit of covert ops over the weekend - took my soon to be fiance to a jeweler store. She tried on a couple of rings and............drumroll...........she actually liked smaller diamonds! She explained to me she likes more "daintier" stuff, and would feel a big rock would actually look "weird and uncomfortable on her." I kind of find it amusing that myself as a guy would prefer to go the 0.7-1 carat route =)2

I still have the original diamond in mind, (0.41) D IF

IMG_0247.JPG

However, am comparing it now to this one (0.42) E VVS1

IMG_0248.JPG

They are both the same price, however the E VVS1 has a total of 3 feathers, which is concerning for me, and a bit of a dent to my purist ideals. It is also a CBI (I have been reading with interest, and know this forum loves it)

Given this, which one of the two diamonds has better proportions?

Cheers and thank you all again!!!!
Unless you have advanced images for the Gia stone and know for sure it's as good of a performer as possible, I would choose the CBI any day. Actually I'd just choose the CBI anyway, because then you get the $1 upgrade policy and amazing customer service.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You cannot decide on proportions alone. They both work.

Those are averages and are no indication of the quality of cut.

If you are a purist, then you can surely appreciate the precise and symmetrical cut of the CBI. The VVS1 feathers are not an issue, they never will be, but only in your head (I don't mean that offensively). It's up to you whether they will be mind clean enough for you to proceed.

The D IF may have deranged values that average well, very unlikely it's cut with the precision of the CBI.

The difference in cut precision is likely to be more tangible than the zero visible difference in clarity. D to E is extremely hard to differentiate.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went for D VVS2 for symbolic reasons and because I’m not all about wearing a huge diamond every day. I would have gone for FL or IF if that meant a diamond was truly flawless, but it doesn’t. VVS is virtually flawless as well.
Although you have plenty of good budget advice, this is what I think every time someone says they find D colour sterile, besides that everyone has their own opinion ... the white is stunning and beautiful, if you ask me.

E1C8FF36-7EC4-468A-A743-B5792310E30C.jpeg

I love a D.

Someone in the trade recently said that when putting colors out and letting people pick, most who think they prefer D end up picking H when all together.

OP:

Btw, I have a CBI SI1 and an SI2 and I can only see the SI2 inclusions when using a loupe and holding the diamond a certain way.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are basically the same, pick one.
Except one is a super ideal with amazing upgrade policy and the other is not guaranteed to be a top performer. That's my concern for OP.

rocheapplied

Rough_Rock
My only concern with a VVS1 Feather inclusions is that over time, cracks will start to spread in the diamond..
I did read that you shouldn't purchase diamonds with feather inclusions near the girdle - it seems as if there are 3, according to the AGS reports.

I guess I'm a bit too picky, in that I do worry about this kind of stuff down down the road..

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Except one is a super ideal with amazing upgrade policy and the other is not guaranteed to be a top performer. That's my concern for OP.

I didn’t go back to see where the other was from.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My only concern with a VVS1 Feather inclusions is that over time, cracks will start to spread in the diamond..
I did read that you shouldn't purchase diamonds with feather inclusions near the girdle - it seems as if there are 3, according to the AGS reports.

I guess I'm a bit too picky, in that I do worry about this kind of stuff down down the road..

Nope. Never going to be an issue with that stone.

(Seriously no offense, but you made that up about that stone with those feathers)

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The other one is from JA!

Oh yeah, that would be a no from me. You just aren’t going to get the customer service and the upgrade offer like you would with HPD, plus signet stock is down by a lot, which personally in my opinion makes me worried about future issues with James Allen, under the signet brand. (Just giving my thoughts on the issue, not suggesting anything untoward with JA)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
71BAB654-AAAF-48DD-A8F0-78E48497E9A7.jpeg

This information is on the CBI website. This is how picky Paul at CBI is about choosing his rough.

If other words, you think you are picky but Paul is pickier lol

rocheapplied

Rough_Rock
71BAB654-AAAF-48DD-A8F0-78E48497E9A7.jpeg

This information is on the CBI website. This is how picky Paul at CBI is about choosing his rough.

If other words, you think you are picky but Paul is pickier lol

Very very interesting!! Would JA or other diamond cutters go through something similar to this? I guess the proportions in this sense doesn't matter because I'll be getting a better rough anyways??

I don't mind the lack of an upgrade policy from JA - as long as the stone is great :) Although it is a very very very nice to have, my fiance is quite sentimental and has commented she would like to see her stone.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very very interesting!! Would JA or other diamond cutters go through something similar to this? I guess the proportions in this sense doesn't matter because I'll be getting a better rough anyways??

I don't mind the lack of an upgrade policy from JA - as long as the stone is great :) Although it is a very very very nice to have, my fiance is quite sentimental and has commented she would like to see her stone.

No, James Allen is a drop shipper. I think.Their stones are available to many other sellers. They get the stone in and inspect it before shipping out, but I believe they do not purchase the stone until you buy it, which also means it may not be available in real life if another person bought it first and the list wasn’t updated.

CBI owns all of their stones. They are in house and not available to other sellers.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd personally prefer a CBI from HPD, just for the high level of customer service alone, even if the diamonds were equal in all other ways.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd personally prefer a CBI from HPD, just for the high level of customer service alone, even if the diamonds were equal in all other ways.

Right and I’m just remembering how many people we used to help pick a stone sold by James Allen and it turned out to be already sold elsewhere and so we had to help them start all over.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If one is from JA, I'd definitely go with CBI. Their cutting is second to none, and more things can go wrong than what you might think when buying a diamond, so go with the people with the best customer service.

I've heard a bunch of stories over the past 12 months about people who bought through JA, then had problems with their ring arriving on time or diamonds not being available at the last minute. JA doesn't hold their own stones, unless it's a True Hearts diamond. On the other hand, CBI has all their own diamonds in-house.

Also, I would FAR rather have a CBI setting than a JA setting - different class altogether, tho I'm not sure where you intend to get the setting. But if you want the diamond and the setting from the same source, def. go CBI.

Good luck!

rocheapplied

Rough_Rock
If one is from JA, I'd definitely go with CBI. Their cutting is second to none, and more things can go wrong than what you might think when buying a diamond, so go with the people with the best customer service.

I've heard a bunch of stories over the past 12 months about people who bought through JA, then had problems with their ring arriving on time or diamonds not being available at the last minute. JA doesn't hold their own stones, unless it's a True Hearts diamond. On the other hand, CBI has all their own diamonds in-house.

Also, I would FAR rather have a CBI setting than a JA setting - different class altogether, tho I'm not sure where you intend to get the setting. But if you want the diamond and the setting from the same source, def. go CBI.

Good luck!

I was thinking of getting a local setting here where I live! Part of that also revolves around the fact that if there are sizing issues, I don't necessarily want to ship the ring back and forth, etc.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results