shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice for the Purist..D IF or D VVS1?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went for D VVS2 for symbolic reasons and because I’m not all about wearing a huge diamond every day. I would have gone for FL or IF if that meant a diamond was truly flawless, but it doesn’t. VVS is virtually flawless as well.
Although you have plenty of good budget advice, this is what I think every time someone says they find D colour sterile, besides that everyone has their own opinion ... the white is stunning and beautiful, if you ask me.

E1C8FF36-7EC4-468A-A743-B5792310E30C.jpeg
Wow, that's stunning, Love, love, love your diamond.

I had a 2.05 D-VS2 that I foolishly traded for a 3.01 F-SI1 pear. Oh I wish that I still had that stone.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I totally understand the size trade-off, lol. I could get a 3 carat J SI1 pretty much straight across. Who knows, maybe I will one day, lol. But as it is, I spend a lot of time in Europe and wanted something to symbolize my extravagant brother ... I needed something I would be comfortable with everyday ... as it is, I upped my original size plan and actually struggle a bit with the size (not that much, haha) ... a size some of you would think is way too small, lol (1.7 carat). I paid for this months ago and have had the diamond for a month ... and I absolutely love it, I have no regrets at all. I love the overkill ... I’m sorry ... I just do. Well ... when I blow up my pictures, I can see the pinpoints ... ok but even I draw the line somewhere and my mind is ok with that much.

I always thought that, if I buy another big purchase diamond, I would go with E colour and VS1 ... I think I may still go that route one day ... or an F if I want to get a big diamond for special occasions. But honestly, I love the white of the D so much compared to my G diamonds that I’m not sure that I can go below it anymore.

Choosing a diamond is so personal. When people tell you here that H faces up very white in a super-ideal, or often I or J as well, they are absolutely correct ... especially when viewed on their own (not beside a higher colour). When they say that an eye-clean SI1 or SI2 are excellent values and you will never see the difference with your naked eye, they are absolutely correct. It’s your money, you need to balance the c’s in the way that suits you best.

We all know that it’s harder to find a mind-clean diamond than an eye-clean diamond! But I love my overkill diamond (and what it symbolizes), so I kinda pipe up to defend the overkill choices, lol. I just try to make sure that I’m being clear it’s a complete mind issue and don’t recommend it for people who are very budget conscious and looking for the best value for their dollar. However, if you can afford it, I recommend getting what your mind and heart desire. I can tell you that it is a very happy thing to look at your diamond and have no wishes that it is something else. But still ... buy diamonds responsibly, lol.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After years of being on this forum, what I find ironically funny is many posters from all parts of the world turn up with this mythical purist idea that a IF or VVS clarity and a D colour is making what they buy somehow "magical" and "pure".

Hahahaha - the joke's on them. The main thing that gives a diamond fire and sparkle is cut cut and cut.

So as many of the experienced posters have already tried to point out an eye clean VS should be enough in a D or an E colour, and get something like a Crafted by Infinity or a Triple Ex cut Super Ideal and will will be many times "purer" and sing from the heavens than a high clarity high coloured stone with rubbish proportions.

Next point. She says she doesn't want a big stone, in the US a 1.50 to a 2.00 to most women are biggish stones. A .50 is a tiny stone. Her friends and family will be the people to judge so again IMHO take the other posters advice here go for something that around the .60 to .80 mark minimum, (which is small but still big enough to see) with a decent cut.

Save your money and buy ice white, eyeclean, and a perfect cut, in fact read the blurb on Crafted By Infinity's website - read the lengths they go to to cut all their diamonds and she will be getting something "perfect" which in the diamond world beats "pure" any day of the week!!!

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was talking about this with a friend yesterday. I don't think that it's that women purposely mislead on the size of the stone that they'd like. They just have no idea. For many it's their first time owning or wearing something so expensive and dainty and sweet looks good plus they had no idea what diamonds cost and it's currently way more expensive than anything they own. But then, as my friend said, you get used to is and the diamonds shrink, fast.

I have a small circle of 4 friends. 3 of us have husbands who bought stones with really good colour and clarity stats. All 3 of us, and the respective husbands, have said that they wish they lowered the stats and gone bigger, years later that's all any of the women really care about, the size. The most newly married (2 years) is already planning a 10 year anniversary upgrade and has been since her wedding. We're in the UK and all have 0.45-0.66.

There's a really good under 1 carat thread.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/under-1ct-diamonds.25028/

Don't let us talk you into anything. Get whatever you want. 0.41 D IF may be a excellent choice for you. What your girlfriend wants matters more than what we say we'd like to receive. Frankly I don't think it matters what size you start at, there's a very good chance that she'll want larger later in life no matter what if the women I know are anything to go by.

This. It has to be what you want it to be & people here can only offer their opinions & thoughts. For me, the pear cut in my avatar is a D VS2. It is as transcluscent & clear as water, even under loupe. I can’t see a single inclusion, even looking where the grading report says there is one. BUT......... If I had chosen this myself, I would have definitely gone to an F or G colour & gone bigger. The difference in colour would be so negligible. My full eternity ring are matched F’s & they look exactly the same. Here in the UK we don’t really do upgrading & what you get is what you get for life, so I would have gone bigger for lower colour. But you have to be comfy with your purchase. My husband was the same as your good self in that he wanted the most beautifully pure diamond he could afford & I love him for it :love: Go with your heart & remember, cut is king.

Swirl68

Shiny_Rock
I’m not quite sure what most purists look for in jewelry.

When I think about a 1/2 carat, excellent cut, D, internally flawless diamond ring, I can’t help but think about it also coming in this box. They just seem to go together for some reason.

DDD9617B-8EAC-4475-919F-CB3DE33D8A37.jpeg

Attachments

• DA8CD249-A264-401E-8A64-9BD7C48E08CB.jpeg
    DA8CD249-A264-401E-8A64-9BD7C48E08CB.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 18

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love a D color stone, I guess because my original ER is a D color. But also to me, I can’t tell between D and E color and barely between D and F.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not quite sure what most purists look for in jewelry.

When I think about a 1/2 carat, excellent cut, D, internally flawless diamond ring, I can’t help but think about it also coming in this box. They just seem to go together for some reason.

DDD9617B-8EAC-4475-919F-CB3DE33D8A37.jpeg

There are a number of people here that have or have owned Tiffany rings and pendants if you look at the show me your stud earrings posts there is someone on that and most of them are amazed that a triple ex cut diamond from the vendors suggested here that costs less than Tiffany by far out sparkles and shines the Tiffany product.

For kicks I have taken a couple of Aussie PSers into my local Tiffany store to compare Victor Canera's pave to Tiffany's halos. All of them can see Victor's work is many many times neater, and better made than Tiffany.

So for me rather than the blue box representing something that is magical and "pure" it is nothing but marketing hype to rip the consumer off.

Swirl68

Shiny_Rock
There are a number of people here that have or have owned Tiffany rings and pendants if you look at the show me your stud earrings posts there is someone on that and most of them are amazed that a triple ex cut diamond from the vendors suggested here that costs less than Tiffany by far out sparkles and shines the Tiffany product.

I tried searching for some super-ideal 1/2 carat D IF’s on some of the usual sites recommended here, but didn’t find any in their inventory.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I tried searching for some super-ideal 1/2 carat D IF’s on some of the usual sites recommended here, but didn’t find any in their inventory.

It comes in waves. Sometimes the rough is available and other times it isn’t.

A lot of the time, if a cutter can get their hands on a D IF stone, it’s likely to be cut to retain weight rather than beauty. Why? Simples.

They can charge more for such a high colour-clarity combo that will likely look like **** in a lot of lighting scenarios apart from high intensity spotlights. And even more so if that stone goes into a ring that is in a little blue (T&Co), red (Cartier), black (HW) or green (VCA) box.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And while I’m at it, while WF, BGD, CBI and VC don’t have any super ideal modern round brilliants around half a carat, Blue Nile has at two Astor’s that are around half a carat and D/IF in colour clarity (each around US$6k but that’s because both have strong blue fluorescence, if they both didn’t I’d expect each to be around the US$8k mark for half a carat).

WF has some at around the 1ct mark. Same with BGD.

L

lydial

And while I’m at it, while WF, BGD, CBI and VC don’t have any super ideal modern round brilliants around half a carat, Blue Nile has at two Astor’s that are around half a carat and D/IF in colour clarity (each around US$6k but that’s because both have strong blue fluorescence, if they both didn’t I’d expect each to be around the US$8k mark for half a carat).

WF has some at around the 1ct mark. Same with BGD.
I had never seen this BN brand so I peeked and they have a 3 ct D IF listed for 218K!!!!! Whoa! I can imagine a 5 ct stone for 200k, but a 3 ct? geez... And it will look almost imperceptibly different from the same sized G SI1 listed for 50K. Both very very pricey but a huge premium.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had never seen this BN brand so I peeked and they have a 3 ct D IF listed for 218K!!!!! Whoa! I can imagine a 5 ct stone for 200k, but a 3 ct? geez... And it will look almost imperceptibly different from the same sized G SI1 listed for 50K. Both very very pricey but a huge premium.

BGD has a 2ct D-IF for around US$98k
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...s/2.090-d-if-round-diamond-ags-c-104102258024

B2C has one 3.84ct D FL that isn’t a branded super ideal but falls within our general PS suggested super ideal proportions. Because of medium blue fluorescence, the price is only $135k.
https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/12235323/3-84-carat-round-diamond-d-color-fl-clarity

Another one from B2C that could fall within PS super ideal proportions is this 3.51ct D FL but because it has no fluorescence, the price is higher at $178k
https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/12316399/3-51-carat-round-diamond-d-color-fl-clarity

L

lydial

I
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...s/2.090-d-if-round-diamond-ags-c-104102258024

B2C has one 3.84ct D FL that isn’t a branded super ideal but falls within our general PS suggested super ideal proportions. Because of medium blue fluorescence, the price is only $135k.
https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/12235323/3-84-carat-round-diamond-d-color-fl-clarity

Another one from B2C that could fall within PS super ideal proportions is this 3.51ct D FL but because it has no fluorescence, the price is higher at $178k
https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/12316399/3-51-carat-round-diamond-d-color-fl-clarity
I would rather have a McLaren.....

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Although its med blue, but for that price, close to 10 mm D-FL is a REALLY good price!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could we please stop referring to stones under 0.50 as "tiny"? It's a bit hurtful. Size is so personal, as is budget. I'm one of those with a tiny stone. I've heard it my entire marriage. I struggle with a (well documented on here) love-hate relationship with my ring, in large part because of its size. I wanted bigger and if we could've afforded it I'd have had one. I think most of us on PS agree with lowering of either colour, clarity, or both to get a larger diamond is right for us personally. As @mrs-b said so well, aesthetics matter. But can we do that without insulting the size some of us were gifted, gave as a gift, or are choosing as a gift?

I'm slinking back to my under a carat thread now.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could we please stop referring to stones under 0.50 as "tiny"? It's a bit hurtful. Size is so personal, as is budget. I'm one of those with a tiny stone. I've heard it my entire marriage. I struggle with a (well documented on here) love-hate relationship with my ring, in large part because of its size. I wanted bigger and if we could've afforded it I'd have had one. I think most of us on PS agree with lowering of either colour, clarity, or both to get a larger diamond is right for us personally. As @mrs-b said so well, aesthetics matter. But can we do that without insulting the size some of us were gifted, gave as a gift, or are choosing as a gift?

One of my favorite rings I've seem in real life is a solitaire that is well under .5ct. When posters are looking for a smaller stone don't think the automatic advice should be to drop another requirement to go larger. I don't think every bride wants a bigger stone necessarily. I couldn't find your thread on it but I bet yours is quite pretty on you.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm the person that made that remark and in no way was it meant to be hurtful. In the UK generally I think people have smaller diamonds. I was given a ruby oval centre three stone and two diamond pears selected by my MIL that I never particularly liked the colour of (the ruby that is) for my E-ring so there are no judgements, I'm just calling it like I see it. These days with Instagram, FB and everything a .50 diamond in the US, not so much other parts of the world is seen as small - I blame keeping up with the Kardashian culture for a lot of it, but it is what it is.

On the flip side of that there has also been a movement against consumerism towards more affordable more sustainable options, like man made diamonds and synthetics and coloured stones, and smaller whiter cleaner diamonds as E-ring choices because young people are trying to save money - and there is nothing wrong with that either.

A lot of what we do here is interpret what the girl/intended receiver of the diamond/ring actually wants, trying to get the best option for her, and you surely would agree that if you could have a .40 IF triple ex cut from an unknown jeweller versus a .60 to .80 carat triple ex cut, Crafted By Infinity or a Super Ideal from VC, Brian Gavin, or any of the other recommended vendors for a similar price the latter would be the better option.

Last edited:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Contact them, contact Wink or Layla at High Performance Diamonds or Victor at VC, or Brian or Leslie at Brian Gavin, all of them can probably cut what you are looking for, and there could already be a Crafted By Infinity somewhere else with specs you are looking for they can get in for you to see what all the hype is about.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Actually I think, at least among some circles of people, it’s seen as a little classless/ “bougie” to have a giant ring, especially when you’re young.

My actual ering is 1.72 in the center and two .45 sides, and I have to explain all the time that the big rock is heirloom. I get a lot more compliments on my .52 Tiffany Novo that my husband ended up getting me. I think the idea of “understated” is coming back along with the idea of minimalism.

My “upgrade” is going to be a .45ish CBI, I think. I’m trying to decide on a setting from a Sholdt.

We get a little jaded on here but some people really are just “small stone” people.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of what we do here is interpret what the girl/intended receiver of the diamond/ring actually wants, trying to get the best option for her, and you surely would agree that if you could have a .40 IF triple ex cut from an unknown jeweller versus a .60 to .80 carat triple ex cut, Crafted By Infinity or a Super Ideal from VC, Brian Gavin, or any of the other recommended vendors for a similar price the latter would be the better option.

For some people the even better option may be a .4 super ideal and using the rest of the budget they save on something else!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I’d LOVE to see a picture of your ring!

sunshowers

Rough_Rock
Long time lurker, so hi! I'm reading this thread with interest because I recently got engaged. My fiance was open to hearing which shape of stone I prefer, and seeing photos of my favorite settings, but he really wanted to pick out the diamond himself. Owning this decision meant a lot to him, and it is a significant gift from him to me, so I didn't question it. I left him to do his own research.

I want to say up front that I absolutely love my ring. The diamond is beautiful. The cut proportions are great and on my size 3 1/4 finger, it looks bigger than its 0.8 carats. But honestly, since we're both in our 30's and have significant assets, I was hoping for a diamond with some more size. Nothing big by Pricescope standards, but I would've loved it to be around 1.2 carats or more. My fiance explained after he proposed that he went for high color and clarity (F, VVS1) over size, and that those specs for a 1.0+ carat diamond would've been double the price. In his words, he didn't want to give me "an ugly, yellow diamond."

I definitely appreciate the thought that he put into it, my stone is certainly gorgeous, and I'm glad he did his homework regarding cut - while doing my own browsing, I saw an abundance of overly deep ovals on the market, including stones close to 1 carat facing up about the same size as mine, which would've been a huge waste of money. But if he'd asked for my input I would've gone down in color and waaay down in clarity, and he'd have seen that there is a lot of room between F, VVS1 and "ugly, yellow." My ring still means a lot to me because it's what he chose, but I can't help but wonder if he would've made the same choice with more information.

OP, talk to her. Only she knows exactly what she wants or doesn't want or doesn't care about either way.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I still remember when I got my wife a present a few years back, she tried on some rings which had 1.5ct rocks in them. While she loved them, she also said that the size of the stone was too big and gaudy on her (then) size 4.5 fingers. She was happy with something around a carat in size. She did feel that her actual engagement ring was a little too small, but she accepted it from me because it was a family ring passed down to me. I always told her that there would be an upgrade come anniversary time. Now she’s a 5.25-5.5 size, something over 1ct might fit her ring finger better but she would kick me in the balls if I were to buy something now (even an upgrade via BGD) as we have more pressing financial items to use our cash on.

Some women are very upfront about what they want. Others don’t say anything. OP needs to get that clarified first.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still remember when I got my wife a present a few years back, she tried on some rings which had 1.5ct rocks in them. While she loved them, she also said that the size of the stone was too big and gaudy on her (then) size 4.5 fingers. She was happy with something around a carat in size. She did feel that her actual engagement ring was a little too small, but she accepted it from me because it was a family ring passed down to me. I always told her that there would be an upgrade come anniversary time. Now she’s a 5.25-5.5 size, something over 1ct might fit her ring finger better but she would kick me in the balls if I were to buy something now (even an upgrade via BGD) as we have more pressing financial items to use our cash on.

Some women are very upfront about what they want. Others don’t say anything. OP needs to get that clarified first.

I'd say kicking you in the balls is "upfront"! Take care of the family jewels--while taking care of the family jewels.:lol-2:

cheers--Sharon

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b PREACH IT SISTA!!

@rocheapplied. Hope you’re smart enough to recognize the wisdom @mrs-b laid down.

I think you’re well intentioned. But I will bet $$$$$$$$ that a girl would rather get a 1 carat E, VS1 than a 0.4 carat D/F or IF. NOT what YOU would rather get her. Don’t forget. She’s the one wearing this bad boy. Don’t take this the wrong way. I’m not trying to be mean or harsh. Just straightforward so there’s no misunderstanding. And I’ve got dishes to do. Best of luck!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Long time lurker, so hi! I'm reading this thread with interest because I recently got engaged. My fiance was open to hearing which shape of stone I prefer, and seeing photos of my favorite settings, but he really wanted to pick out the diamond himself. Owning this decision meant a lot to him, and it is a significant gift from him to me, so I didn't question it. I left him to do his own research.

I want to say up front that I absolutely love my ring. The diamond is beautiful. The cut proportions are great and on my size 3 1/4 finger, it looks bigger than its 0.8 carats. But honestly, since we're both in our 30's and have significant assets, I was hoping for a diamond with some more size. Nothing big by Pricescope standards, but I would've loved it to be around 1.2 carats or more. My fiance explained after he proposed that he went for high color and clarity (F, VVS1) over size, and that those specs for a 1.0+ carat diamond would've been double the price. In his words, he didn't want to give me "an ugly, yellow diamond."

I definitely appreciate the thought that he put into it, my stone is certainly gorgeous, and I'm glad he did his homework regarding cut - while doing my own browsing, I saw an abundance of overly deep ovals on the market, including stones close to 1 carat facing up about the same size as mine, which would've been a huge waste of money. But if he'd asked for my input I would've gone down in color and waaay down in clarity, and he'd have seen that there is a lot of room between F, VVS1 and "ugly, yellow." My ring still means a lot to me because it's what he chose, but I can't help but wonder if he would've made the same choice with more information.

OP, talk to her. Only she knows exactly what she wants or doesn't want or doesn't care about either way.
@sunshowers i applaud you for being honest in your reflections. Respect. Girl just go buy yourself another big rock. Keep the one you have. Get another if you want bigger sparkles. No shame in that.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think OP should be sure of his intended's definition of a "big" diamond before proceeding. I would guess that average, which is about a carat in the US, isn't considered "big." I could be totally wrong.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think OP should be sure of his intended's definition of a "big" diamond before proceeding. I would guess that average, which is about a carat in the US, isn't considered "big." I could be totally wrong.
True. Who knows. Maybe .4 is big for her. Las Vegas odds would probably say no but only OP can find out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results