shape
carat
color
clarity

ACA Premium

acted

Rough_Rock
Not ‘discounting’ the WC diamond (but FYI @ALRAAA if you really do want to buy THAT exact diamond on WC, might as well go to B2C and save another $1K) but there are several other factors not noted that are not being considered beyond “both are D color VS2 clarity diamonds”.

1) GIA rounds diamond parameters, whereas AGS (I believe) does not. So while - per the GIA report - the WC diamond scores a 1.1 on HCA and its GIA report notes specs that are in ideal range, that does not mean it is an ideal (or super-ideal) cut diamond, which the CBI is. So again, while I might not personally kick it out of bed, I cannot - in my mind - put it on the same level as the CBI without true apples-to-apples data to compare in order to say “yes, these two diamonds are on the exact same level playing field and there is a true, significant price discrepancy”. But to @msop04 point, not everyone needs a super-ideal/ideal cut diamond. Some folks are perfectly happy with & love their GIA XXX diamonds (some of which are likely in the ideal range), and that is perfectly fine.

2) The value proposition of the vendor offering the diamond. This is another factor that weighs into the purchase price (the benefits you get from the vendor), which MANY on here place a significant value on. None of this may matter to you, but for a diamond purchase in this price range, it surely should bear due consideration.
- Ask WC (or B2C) if they offer the 80% lifetime buyback policy, if their trade-up policy is as customer-friendly/flexible as HPD (it’s not, I promise). So if/when you decide to upgrade that diamond for an anniversary down the road - assuming the vendor is still in business - prepare to spend probably twice the original price with them to upgrade, if they even have an upgrade policy.
- And to the point of vendor longevity ... do you know how long that vendor has been in business? How reputable are they? Is their business model sustainable that they stand a good chance of being in business when you’re ready to leverage that upgrade policy? Any chance they have/are affiliated with shady industry practices? Note: I am NOT suggesting WC or B2C are, but after the recent “Enchanted Diamonds” debacle, I would be VERY cautious about any dealer I buy from and give my money to ... especially when we’re talking these sorts of budgets!

Okay, so the business checks out & generally seems ‘okay’ ...
- In a time crunch at all? See how long it takes them to provide you with additional imaging (if they even provide it) so you can assess light performance, decide, and show the intended recipient those pretty hearts & arrows. HPD diamond images (not ‘in production’) are readily available to you up front; no waiting.
- What, they don’t provide images at all? Well surely they will send you a loupe, ASET & Ideal scopes free of charge so you can assess the diamond yourself in person and have full confidence in your decision. What, they don’t/won’t? Guess who does ...
- Got the ASET/IS images from the vendor and they check out okay? Great, place your order & wait to see if that diamond is actually even available several days after you pay for it (virtual inventory diamonds are frequently already sold, and the vendors listing them do not always update their websites in a timely manner to let you know this). And if it’s not already sold, see how long it takes you to get that diamond in hand if it’s not literally in that vendor’s hands at that moment. It’s probably coming from overseas, which can take a week or more to get to them depending on what holidays are observed in that country, any customs issues, etc., then they have to inspect/QC it, and send it to you. Not the case for CBIs from what I’ve read from HPD buyers on here.
- Got the diamond? Love it? Great, now consider the quality of the custom setting that vendor makes for you, if they can produce those sexy claw prongs you crave, or do they possess the skill necessary to create a micropave setting that doesn’t ditch diamonds every time you wash your hands. Also, be sure to inquire about their benchwork warranty.
- Got the diamond? Don’t love it? Well, hopefully their return process is at no cost to you, and your payment is quickly refunded/returned after they receive & inspect the diamond. So you can get on with starting your search alllllllll over again.

OP - It’s your money. You worked for it, you know what you want/need, what your priorities are (or perhaps still working those out), what you’re comfortable with, and hopefully what the intended recipient wants/likes, etc. None of us can nor should tell you any of those things. What we can tell you is what we have individually experienced with vendors, what others (like you) have come on here and asked about or experienced (and point you to those threads), help you know what to look for in a good diamond, help you to learn to read the images provided by vendors, the differences between various labs & their reports, and we can tell you that when considering a diamond purchase, there is more to factor in than just the “four Cs” and the price tag. That’s what I’ve tried to do above. At the end of the day, none of those things may matter to you, and that is a-okay; but at least I feel like I’ve done my part to suggest important considerations you might factor into your decision when you write the check/swipe the card/wire the funds. :wavey:
Outstanding responded!:clap:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this post!

I am the future owner of the CBI, Super Ideal, 2.558 ct, D, (high) VS1 diamond being discussed. It has been custom cut for me as an anniversary gift from my husband. This gift has great meaning to us. It celebrates our love and attraction (mentally, spiritually and physically) over our 15 years of marriage while storms have raged around us. Through much hard work we are finally at a really good place in our lives and we wish to celebrate our success. And believe it or not, my husband is just as excited about our new diamond as I am. He even plans to propose to me again with the new ring.

Some of you can appreciate the unique qualities of my CBI diamond. Many others would have selected a different diamond, probably a larger one of a lower color and clarity. That's okay! To each her own!

All of us are unique individuals who not only value different things, but also have differing abilities to SEE the world around us. We MUST all keep this in mind when we either praise or condemn each other's choices.

I wish the people on this forum could be happy for one another and cheer each other on when we finally are able to purchase our dream diamonds. Unfortunately, I have found often the opposite true, especially when a person purchases a diamond that doesn't fit the conventional wisdom of "no one needs a D" and "eye clean is eye clean" etc.

My hunch is that many people are insecure (whether they realize it or not) and need validation of their own diamond selection. They need to tell themselves a story to make themselves feel better if someone else's diamond selection contradicts their own, or is perceived to be in any way superior to their diamond. I feel sorry for these people.

So why did I select a D, high VS1, super ideal? (And by the way, I did NOT pay $80K for the diamond. That is how much the stone is worth AFTER it was cut and graded.)

First, I can see color in a way most others cannot. To me, a true D colorless is different from an E, and a G looks as yellow (to me) as my grandmother's teeth after having been a smoker for 60 years. Does the mean that I think other women's rings with G or lower diamonds aren't pretty? Of course not! I have seen beauties on here on all colors. Seeing ladies post their ring photos makes my heart sing. Do I think my D, VS1 is superior to theirs? No, absolutely not. It is superior ONLY FOR ME, not for them. Also, I am very pale with pink undertones so any hint of yellow looks terrible on me.

Second, I do not need or want a giant diamond. I greatly prefer a smaller diamond of higher cut/color/clarity. I am very slender so a "large" diamond looks ostentatious on my hands. Also, I am from a family and peer group that sees overly large jewelry as a sign of someone who is crass. If I showed up with a diamond too large for my hand, they'd joke that I've walked out of the movie "My Cousin Vinny." This is a snoby outlook, I don't care for it and I try hard not to share it. I believe we just all make ourselves happy and buy the diamond that is right for us. But it is what it is and my background has probably shaped my natural preference for smaller, but extremely high quality diamonds.

So really, to each her/his own. Viva la Diffèrence! Many of us are buying our dream diamonds, ones we've dreamt about for years. I know I am. Let's be happy for each other.

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
A closet is more important than diamond? :confused:

@Dancing Fire.......Nope, absolutely not, never, not in any scenario. However I did have a lot of major jewelry purchases in the last 18 months so I am going to be a team player this time around. :saint:

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
I am the future owner of the CBI, Super Ideal, 2.558 ct, D, (high) VS1 diamond being discussed. It has been custom cut for me as an anniversary gift from my husband. This gift has great meaning to us. It celebrates our love and attraction (mentally, spiritually and physically) over our 15 years of marriage while storms have raged around us. Through much hard work we are finally at a really good place in our lives and we wish to celebrate our success. And believe it or not, my husband is just as excited about our new diamond as I am. He even plans to propose to me again with the new ring.

Some of you can appreciate the unique qualities of my CBI diamond. Many others would have selected a different diamond, probably a larger one of a lower color and clarity. That's okay! To each her own!

All of us are unique individuals who not only value different things, but also have differing abilities to SEE the world around us. We MUST all keep this in mind when we either praise or condemn each other's choices.

I wish the people on this forum could be happy for one another and cheer each other on when we finally are able to purchase our dream diamonds. Unfortunately, I have found often the opposite true, especially when a person purchases a diamond that doesn't fit the conventional wisdom of "no one needs a D" and "eye clean is eye clean" etc.

My hunch is that many people are insecure (whether they realize it or not) and need validation of their own diamond selection. They need to tell themselves a story to make themselves feel better if someone else's diamond selection contradicts their own, or is perceived to be in any way superior to their diamond. I feel sorry for these people.

So why did I select a D, high VS1, super ideal? (And by the way, I did NOT pay $80K for the diamond. That is how much the stone is worth AFTER it was cut and graded.)

First, I can see color in a way most others cannot. To me, a true D colorless is different from an E, and a G looks as yellow (to me) as my grandmother's teeth after having been a smoker for 60 years. Does the mean that I think other women's rings with G or lower diamonds aren't pretty? Of course not! I have seen beauties on here on all colors. Seeing ladies post their ring photos makes my heart sing. Do I think my D, VS1 is superior to theirs? No, absolutely not. It is superior ONLY FOR ME, not for them. Also, I am very pale with pink undertones so any hint of yellow looks terrible on me.

Second, I do not need or want a giant diamond. I greatly prefer a smaller diamond of higher cut/color/clarity. I am very slender so a "large" diamond looks ostentatious on my hands. Also, I am from a family and peer group that sees overly large jewelry as a sign of someone who is crass. If I showed up with a diamond too large for my hand, they'd joke that I've walked out of the movie "My Cousin Vinny." This is a snoby outlook, I don't care for it and I try hard not to share it. I believe we just all make ourselves happy and buy the diamond that is right for us. But it is what it is and my background has probably shaped my natural preference for smaller, but extremely high quality diamonds.

So really, to each her/his own. Viva la Diffèrence! Many of us are buying our dream diamonds, ones we've dreamt about for years. I know I am. Let's be happy for each other.

I absolutely love your explanation (not that you owed one), but it was great to read and I appreciate how different we all are but that we all love a pretty diamond. Please post pics when your dream ring is done. I’d love to see it!! I love how honest, kind and straight forward this forum is. Thank you for posting!!

CheeSauce

Shiny_Rock
I have been thinking about this question for awhile now. I am the proud owner of a CBI engagement ring and I would not have had it any other way. The upgrade and buyback policies were SUPER important to me since the ring was going to cost a good amount.

HOWEVER, when I was on the search for studs, I was flip flopping between getting a branded stone vs a non branded stone. I noticed the CBI studs were more expensive compared to the price at my local jeweler (although nothing compared to some place like Tiffany's I am sure). The difference was pretty substantial and I always thought it was cheaper to buy online. Of course, in order to see the GIA for each stud at my local jewelers, I would have open each certificated to see if the pairs had ideal stats (or even matched in mm and table %.) Then I went on bluenile and found a pair of studs with the same stats as the CBI studs I was considering. It took awhile to look through every listing but these bluenile diamonds I saw had almost perfect matching mm and a matching table %. Plus they fell perfectly in the ideal cut range. The price difference was over $1K. While the upgrade policy and buyback policy were a must for my engagement ring, I wasn't so sure that I needed it for my studs.

In the end, I ended up getting the CBIs since my mom was also getting some CBIs for a project and we offered us a group pricing discount (but still with the discount it was more than the bluenile studs would have been) (btw, my mom was very cute. Ever since I got my engagement ring she has been totally in love with CBI diamonds and kept telling me to get the CBI studs since the diamond studs are smaller "the cut is even more important!"). I LOVE my studs and they are absolutely beautiful (also everyone at HPD is a DREAM to work with). With the branded stones, I get a guaranteed peace of mind. However, I definitely wonder how the non-branded ideal stones would have compared to the CBIs.

The good thing about the CBI studs is that I could always trade them in with my engagement ring if I ever wanted to upgrade my engagement ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results