shape
carat
color
clarity

A visit to Mikimoto NYC... And musings...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Les Petales rings.

I absolutely love Japanese design. There, I said it. Stereotypes and all :lol: The eye for proportion - and all those features that you don't even see until you catch just the right angle...

Like the way the bottom petal curls in the two-petal version, totally invisible from face-up but *makes* the profile view...

And the little branch on the underside of the head of the high jewellery version - they could've just widened the shank, that would've accomplished the same thing (that is - reducing the back-and-forth head flop on the finger), but they chose that tiny hidden detail instead :love:

The two petal version that I tried on months and months ago when I first started this thread is still my favourite. The HJ version is completely spectacular and completely unwearable. So that answers that question :lol:

- - - - -

1656800640468.png

1656800665302.png

1656800677852.png

1656800687773.png

- - - - -

1656800834748.png

1656800854000.png

1656800872390.png

1656800891678.png

- - - - -

1656800967795.png

1656800986706.png

1656801015728.png

1656801054392.png

1656801094599.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeux de Rubans earrings.

Everything about these earrings is perfection.

Just as three-dimensional as the ring. And just as striking as the Les Petales earrings that I fell in love with months ago. But the Les Petales earrings will never work for me - the posts join the stud heads at points, which rest inside the piercings, and I worry about my holes getting larger; the backs of the Jeux de Rubans earrings are flat as part of the design.

These are on my wishlist :love:

- - - - -

1656807571801.png

1656808202011.png

1656809174744.png

JdR-5-crop.png

JdR-7-crop.png

JdR-6-crop.png

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jeux de Rubans earrings.

Everything about these earrings is perfection.

Just as three-dimensional as the ring. And just as striking as the Les Petales earrings that I fell in love with months ago. But the Les Petales earrings will never work for me - the posts join the stud heads at points, which rest inside the piercings, and I worry about my holes getting larger; the backs of the Jeux de Rubans earrings are flat as part of the design.

These are on my wishlist :love:

- - - - -

1656807571801.png

1656808202011.png

1656809174744.png

JdR-5-crop.png

JdR-7-crop.png

JdR-6-crop.png
perfect in every way even down to how they fit you perfectly

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The SA we met was really lovely and seemed very knowledgeable - based on the hour and change she spent with us I would be comfortable buying "blind" from her ❤️

- - - - -

A couple of extra pieces she brought out for comparisons:

AAA akoya (stud, left) and A+ akoya (right, ring):
COMP_AKOYA1.jpg

A+ akoya and A+ akoya - there really can be a big range even within a given grade!
COMP_AKOYA2.jpg

A+ WSS and A+ WSS - all Mikimoto's WSS are (still) considered A+ quality, but again, the variance...
COMP_WSS1.png

My Pearl Paradise WSS stud and A+ WSS:
COMP_WSS2.png

- - - - -

I was shocked to find that the WSS pearl that was used in the high jewellery Les Petales ring wasn't even the nicest WSS in that boutique - I just assumed they'd use the best materials available for their high jewellery. Obviously not!!

I asked if it was possible to switch pearls between pieces - apparently that's something she's requested a few times but the answer's always been "no". And specifying body and overtone isn't possible... But she explained that for new creations, she'd be happy to send a pearl out for the workshop to do their best to colour-match with. Which is fantastic - even better than trying to specify body and overtone with words!!

The Les Petales two-petal ring is at the top of my pearl wishlist :bigsmile: Followed by these ribbon earrings. The ribbon ring... One day, probably, but that'll be several projects away.

- - - - -

This display was fun ::)

1656811616790.png

- - - - -

And... I brought a little souvenir home. Sort of. Jumbo earring backs :lol: The most nicely packaged earring backs I've ever received, I must say! :lol:

1656811695449.png

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous earrings and also you are the queen of making a nice messy bun!

Also can we have a pic of the beautifully packaged jumbo earring backs??

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous earrings and also you are the queen of making a nice messy bun!

Also can we have a pic of the beautifully packaged jumbo earring backs??

Thank you!! And that’s what’s in that box in the last pic :lol:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @yssie ! I love this cherry blossom station line! Have you ever considered the necklace? I am stopping by Mikimoto today to look at a couple things and I'm going to look at this line too. :appl:

I actually just don’t wear necklaces! Having things around my neck bothers me, always has - my husband marvels that there’s a form of jewellery I never want :lol:

But if I did I would want it!! :lol: There are a few rings, too, if you’re a ring person - I want this one!!

41F55C9D-D6CC-4A5F-B5EC-2659B7EEE916.jpeg

Please take lots of photos!! ::)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually just don’t wear necklaces! Having things around my neck bothers me, always has - my husband marvels that there’s a form of jewellery I never want :lol:

But if I did I would want it!! :lol: There are a few rings, too, if you’re a ring person - I want this one!!

41F55C9D-D6CC-4A5F-B5EC-2659B7EEE916.jpeg

Please take lots of photos!! ::)

give it time yssie
i never liked anything more than a chain around my neck
beads gave me headaches
i always loved chokers but unless they were loose i felt choked
i dont like turtle neck and i hate skivies (the 70s were hell in that regard for a little kid)

but ive slowly got used to more heavier necklaces, but its been slow

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
give it time yssie
i never liked anything more than a chain around my neck
beads gave me headaches
i always loved chokers but unless they were loose i felt choked
i dont like turtle neck and i hate skivies (the 70s were hell in that regard for a little kid)

but ive slowly got used to more heavier necklaces, but its been slow

Y'know, I have a couple of necklaces that I was *sure* I would wear, and here I am most definitely not wearing them. My WF pearl DBTY, my Paspaley pendant. It's a moral for future, if nothing else. Don't buy necklaces thinking you'll wear THIS one, you won't. :silenced:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Y'know, I have a couple of necklaces that I was *sure* I would wear, and here I am most definitely not wearing them. My WF pearl DBTY, my Paspaley pendant. It's a moral for future, if nothing else. Don't buy necklaces thinking you'll wear THIS one, you won't. :silenced:

you need to practice with something 'cheap'
not pearls because i know you would not enjoy wearing cheap pearls
some nice chains perhaps - dang im sure i read in the last day or two you dont wear silver

at my old work in Porirua i had an older friend in the paint dept and we used to try to outdo each other in necklaces
all in good fun and just fashion necklaces - the mall had an awsome accessory shop that had a sale every other week - but not only was it fun but it trained by neck to get used to something heavier than a chain

and ill tell you what else i used to buy.... ...the avon sale catalogue :lol-2:
cheap fun sparkles but we had a lot of fun and got our money's worth

you cant wear good jewelry working in a hardwear store - certainly not if you are an actual worker
i remember some young thing getting terribly upset one day getting paint all over an exspensive watch

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
Hello, I would like your opinions on this necklace.
Do you think it's of good quality? I visited mikimoto today and wondering if I should go for the long necklace or this standard size necklace.

The second one seems to be a good size.
It's in 8mm.

DSC_0174.JPG DSC_0175.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0175.JPG
    DSC_0175.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 33

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello, I would like your opinions on this necklace.
Do you think it's of good quality? I visited mikimoto today and wondering if I should go for the long necklace or this standard size necklace.

The second one seems to be a good size.
It's in 8mm.

DSC_0174.JPG DSC_0175.JPG

I think the length you’re modelling here is really beautiful on you! Super elegant and classic :love: Is that the one with 8mm pearls?

Re. Quality - IIRC you’re in Asia? I know Mikimoto’s grading is different from the US. Did those two strands have any grading info at all?

BTW I don’t think many people check this thread any more so if you want more opinions you might want to start a new one. Just a heads up ::)

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
I think the length you’re modelling here is really beautiful on you! Super elegant and classic :love: Is that the one with 8mm pearls?

Re. Quality - IIRC you’re in Asia? I know Mikimoto’s grading is different from the US. Did those two strands have any grading info at all?

BTW I don’t think many people check this thread any more so if you want more opinions you might want to start a new one. Just a heads up ::)

They do grade their necklace, just not the ear studs. This one is with 8mm pearls. I was told that this one is of high quality upper class category, not exactly the premium, not the best of the best category but the strange thing is that when it was put near the best of the best (the first necklace from the top position), there's hardly any difference, yes, the best of the best reflects more light but since it's not 8 mm for the best of the best, this 8mm size makes up for the lustre by size. And what's more, it got both pink and green colour in all the pearls. SA took out another one (high quality upper class), it's all pinky and creamy, no green tone, so I asked my SA to hold this one for me (both green and pink). SA told me that they don't always have this tone in this grading so I am really thinking about pulling the trigger.

Please advise just by looking at the pictures. Thank you

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the smaller one that you are wearing, both on your neck and on the table.

But I don't like the placement of the "M" charm, personally. If it were me, I'd have it restrung and put the charm near the clasp.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1666017658011.jpeg

I personally prefer the smaller necklace, between these two. Because
- The pearls look more closely matched across the whole strand in overtone colour
- The pearls look marginally more lustrous over the whole strand

However, I chase luster and matching. Those are the two things I can’t compromise on for myself. Not everyone prioritizes those characteristics over everything else. The larger strand definitely has stronger overtone, and from that one photo the luster differential is by no means dramatic. If you like a bigger size, and you like seeing pretty strong pink and green from all your pearls, I can certainly understand you preferring the larger strand!

What’s the return/exchange policy?

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
I have seen a better quality of best of the best necklace so for this one, I think I will just let it pass.
The best of the best necklace I saw last time has more lustre but even for that one, the overtone was not perfectly matched.

I think I will only wear my pearl necklace in autumn and winter seasons so larger pearls are important to me because I will be wearing it with sweater. I live in a city with tropical weather so for summer, the sweats will destroy pearls.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen a better quality of best of the best necklace so for this one, I think I will just let it pass.
The best of the best necklace I saw last time has more lustre but even for that one, the overtone was not perfectly matched.

I think I will only wear my pearl necklace in autumn and winter seasons so larger pearls are important to me because I will be wearing it with sweater. I live in a city with tropical weather so for summer, the sweats will destroy pearls.

Don't compromise on what's important to you. If you need larger pearls to be satisfied with your purchase then don't settle for smaller. I've done that and regretted it every single time, and it's only ever worse with more expensive purchases.

Is the Mikimoto brand important to you? If not, you could probably get the quality you want from other sources for significantly less.

I've never seen a perfectly matched strand, to be honest. It's a question of how far from perfect - but given how difficult it is to match just two pearls I suppose it's not surprising!!

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
Don't compromise on what's important to you. If you need larger pearls to be satisfied with your purchase then don't settle for smaller. I've done that and regretted it every single time, and it's only ever worse with more expensive purchases.

Is the Mikimoto brand important to you? If not, you could probably get the quality you want from other sources for significantly less.

I've never seen a perfectly matched strand, to be honest. It's a question of how far from perfect - but given how difficult it is to match just two pearls I suppose it's not surprising!!
Yes, the brand is important because when it's time to pass down to the next generation. I don't need lots of explanations.

I like how some of the mikimoto's pearls are not just carry pink undertone. I like pink mixed with green.

CircularBrilliant

Shiny_Rock
Yes, the brand is important because when it's time to pass down to the next generation. I don't need lots of explanations.

I like how some of the mikimoto's pearls are not just carry pink undertone. I like pink mixed with green.

Have you considered searching for a supearl strand? PEPCA supearl would not require explanation (to anyone who knows pearls), and you'd be assured of absolute top quality. It would be quite expensive, but you would know exactly what you are getting.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you considered searching for a supearl strand? PEPCA supearl would not require explanation (to anyone who knows pearls), and you'd be assured of absolute top quality. It would be quite expensive, but you would know exactly what you are getting.

My understanding is that PEPCA hasn’t graded anything Supearl in a few years, unfortunately ;( Granpearl, yes, but Supearl…

General Pearl had a Supearl strand that a friend saw in-person a few months ago. She said it was spectacular and I trust her eyes. And it was actually quite a reasonable price - even moreso given the yen against USD! But it’s long gone now.

CircularBrilliant

Shiny_Rock
My understanding is that PEPCA hasn’t graded anything Supearl in a few years, unfortunately ;( Granpearl, yes, but Supearl…

General Pearl had a Supearl strand that a friend saw in-person a few months ago. She said it was spectacular and I trust her eyes. And it was actually quite a reasonable price - even moreso given the yen against USD! But it’s long gone now.

Ahh that's a bummer! But maybe also a good sign of how stringent PEPCA is?

I frequently visit this page to drool over this strand: https://anniecase.com/products/supearl-12-15mm-south-sea-pearl-necklace?_pos=1&_sid=70a28448d&_ss=r

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
I don't know what supearls are. I just need a pearl necklace for daily wear or weekly wear. You can say I am not a pearl collector so I think high quality pearls will do.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know what supearls are. I just need a pearl necklace for daily wear or weekly wear. You can say I am not a pearl collector so I think high quality pearls will do.

What are Mikimoto’s policies on bringing pieces in for viewing where you are? In the US, if a piece is available, they can send it to a specific boutique without any payment. If a piece isn’t already available somewhere, however, they want a 100% deposit to have it made (even if it’s a stock item) - but that deposit can be put toward something else if you don’t like your order. And no bad juju if you do this.

If you’re wanting a BotB strand that might be something to consider - having one made for you, even if they don’t have anything read to go? Assuming your Mikimoto geography works the same way as mine.

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
I went to the shop again today because SA told me that there's one pair of pearls available and if I like it, they can add the ear studs later after full payment. I went to have a look and like this pair. Here's the pictures.

I am not sure if it's perfectly matched in tone or not, in my own eyes, they are.

I asked them to take out one best of the best necklace and compare. The necklace got the green and silver tone while my ear studs got the mixture of pink and green tone. I like it.

Thank you for all of your opinions. :dance:=)2

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
I went to the shop again today because SA told me that there's one pair of pearls available and if I like it, they can add the ear studs later after full payment. I went to have a look and like this pair. Here's the pictures.

I am not sure if it's perfectly matched in tone or not, in my own eyes, they are.
DSC_0187.JPG
I asked them to take out one best of the best necklace and compare. The necklace got the green and silver tone while my ear studs got the mixture of pink and green tone. I like it.

Thank you for all of your opinions. :dance:=)2
DSC_0187.JPG DSC_0184.JPG DSC_0181.JPG DSC_0185.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results