shape
carat
color
clarity

A pink diamond story

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starting a thread on this because I think it will be a fun learning experience to share. It seems like we only hear about the good outcomes a lot of the time but this could go either way so…..

I came across a ring recently on Etsy that had what is described as an .05 Australian pink diamond that was found at a Massachusetts estate sale, it was set into a vintage setting that the seller had. For the price I paid I‘m prepared for this to be potentially treated, I’m treating this as a learning experience and a bit of a gamble.

Now when I got the ring, it is so teeny tiny! Took some pictures and these were the best of the lot, the IPhone is great for photography in general but not smaller things:

E22B1049-829E-4BC6-9BC3-EDBD333CD684.jpeg

5832BF54-3B97-489D-951F-6B5C0549E4D0.jpeg

A88CD075-5875-4CB7-853B-B37971D19F48.jpeg

BB155A15-EB90-44F2-AD2B-ED72CF48D900.jpeg

71AE9C5F-27DD-411C-9B87-DC47BFEFCBB7.jpeg

It certainly looks pink and under a microscope I can see it is pretty included but if I’m going to send it to GIA and get the full benefit of a report, it will need to be unmounted.

More to come….

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is interesting! Such a pretty color pink. Commenting here mainly to follow. Those prongs look enormous compared to the stone :lol:

Yeah I thought it would be an interesting thread to document what I find out about it. This is all new territory, I have never sent a stone to GIA, so this is going to be interesting.

Since I am notoriously impatient, the diamond will be unset today. I’m hoping to send it out next week and then the waiting o_O

The prongs cover a good bit of the diamond, it will be fun to see it naked and see what the color is like out of the setting.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here it is loose and I tried to get it in different lighting shade and sun outside and then inside against a banana so you can see the color better. Sorry about the state of this gem box but my other ones are too big. Also it is staying in there now because while trying to get it in I lost it! It is literally like losing a granule of sugar on the floor :eek2: Thankfully using advice I remember Kenny sharing here I was able to find it.

Again I know these are blurry but it’s the best this phone camera will do, mind you IPhone 14 Pro, you would think it wouldn’t be this hard!

Now I am even more excited but also not getting my hopes up because when gambling the odds are not usually in the gambler’s favor.

6051E57D-F46D-44B0-AC61-30CE382A3990.jpeg

A7B450D9-16EB-482E-B60F-B7F128682890.jpeg

3CAF57B0-D9BF-40F3-A89E-1833FD624F21.jpeg

DA1EE434-970E-4C7E-A602-65FBFF22E60A.jpeg

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Very pretty! Will be interesting to see what GIA says. It has quite attractive color and hopefully and likely IMHO untreated. Or course just from what I see on pix. Anyhow it would not be economical to treat such a small stone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s pretty! I thought GIA would evaluate colored diamonds in their settings?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s pretty! I thought GIA would evaluate colored diamonds in their settings?

This diamond will only qualify for one of their reports because of its weight. If the diamond is loose, the report will also include the diamonds color grade. So I figure if I want to get the full benefit, best to send it in loose.

I’m rather amazed at the color of this itty bitty, it’s certainly better than I expected.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty! Will be interesting to see what GIA says. It has quite attractive color and hopefully and likely IMHO untreated. Or course just from what I see on pix. Anyhow it would not be economical to treat such a small stone.

I guess part of me is trying to figure out why the seller didn’t sent it to GIA herself. Most people know pink diamonds are worth pretty good money even at small sizes.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting this is!
I can't wait to hear what GIA says!

I'm happy that the banana had a part in this, too!

Me too! Funny thing is I had to make good use of the banana before it goes bad. When I buy them nobody eats them, when there aren’t any, they ask me to get more :roll2:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too! Funny thing is I had to make good use of the banana before it goes bad. When I buy them nobody eats them, when there aren’t any, they ask me to get more :roll2:

When they get over the hill, I throw them in the freezer. Then you can make smoothies or banana bread later.
But I digress.......

What a sweet ring you found!
What kind of a setting are you thinking about for the wee pink one?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 @oncrutchesrightnow recently had David Klass make a setting for her tiny beauty so I might go that route but I also love finding a vintage setting something like:

02FAFDE1-36FF-47A0-A6D4-0EEAB50798B2.jpeg

Yes, a vintage ring with a small stone *might* be easy to find. Finding one that really speaks to you might be harder. Pawn shop?

They are everywhere, I till you want one, ya know?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, a vintage ring with a small stone *might* be easy to find. Finding one that really speaks to you might be harder. Pawn shop?

They are everywhere, I till you want one, ya know?

So true and I realize finding something to fit a stone this size will take some patience. Then again, I will probably have some time, I have no idea how long the turnaround is at GIA. Also just looking around for inspiration, not buying anything until I have definite weight and measurements. I have tried to measure it myself but it is hard being so small.

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
So true and I realize finding something to fit a stone this size will take some patience. Then again, I will probably have some time, I have no idea how long the turnaround is at GIA. Also just looking around for inspiration, not buying anything until I have definite weight and measurements. I have tried to measure it myself but it is hard being so small.

@YadaYadaYada , I send mine to GIA in Carlsbad, because the NYC office didn't answer my calls or emails. It takes around 3 weeks to get the report.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that’s good to know @RRfromR, I am really nervous about mailing this out. So much so that I might make a thread about exactly how I should package and send this to GIA. Granted, I know this is not a 100k piece but I would still be crushed if it went missing.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an exciting project! The ring is soo cute to begin with!! Can’t wait to see the results!
I live an hour from Gia Carlsbad and have yet to submit any stones though I could prob submit 10 that I am curious about. I think I stop myself bc I don’t really know what I will do with that knowledge! Like. If I plan to keep them for the time being, I don’t want to spend money on unsetting and resetting the stone. I think if I was inclined to sell these pieces soon—so the report would be current—I would make the effort. In the meantime, I just appreciate them for what I suspect they are. I adopted this philosophy years ago and it was someone here on PS who advised me to wait until I intended to sell them. It kind of makes sense to me bc I wonder if I could deal
With the disappointment, lol, in the event that my stones turn out not to be what I suspect—which is very likely given the low price I paid.

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
Oh that’s good to know @RRfromR, I am really nervous about mailing this out. So much so that I might make a thread about exactly how I should package and send this to GIA. Granted, I know this is not a 100k piece but I would still be crushed if it went missing.
@YadaYadaYada , I hear you. My account person is so patient with me and she emails me as soon as she gets it. They will give you instructions on how to pack it and I always send it usps insured for 5k, signature required. GIA will send it back to you via FedEx on their account, unless they think it's valued over 50k.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@oncrutchesrightnow, oh I like that second setting a lot! This is going to be a long however many weeks waiting for it to come back from GIA :roll:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_9597.jpeg IMG_9599.jpeg

Your little pink diamond is lovely. Thanks for letting us be part of your adventure!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results