shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW A new sun in orbit! 3.5 S-T SI1 old mine cut from Old World Diamonds

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
It has been quite the journey!

First, I started off with a poorly cut, swampy M that I thought put me off of color forever...then I ricocheted to the opposite end of the spectrum, assuming that extreme color sensitivity = I liked NO COLOR whatsoever, and I got a delightful 1.3 carat E color OEC that I happily enjoyed for 2 years.

But I realized that I wasn't enjoying the 1.3 as much as I could, because I had to squint to see the facets. Lame excuse for an upgrade, but it's true! :lol: Much to my husband's chagrin!

The search
So I went off on my hunt. I started the search for a larger, higher-colored OEC, but after checking out a local antique jewelry shop I became smitten with an OMC. It was woefully overpriced and too small, but I couldn't get it out of my mind. But I had hardly seen any OMCs in the flesh besides this one! What was a girl to do? Why, fly to California to visit Lang Antiques, that's what! :roll:

And what a helpful and instrumental voyage that was. I had specific rings in mind (one of which was unfortunately bought before I arrived) but realized instantly on arrival that the colors were all wrong. I learned that it's not that I didn't like color...it's that I didn't like the "in-between" color range (esp K-L). My eye kept gravitating toward the lush, rich warm yellow tones on the low end of the alphabet, even over colorless. What a shocking discovery! They had a scrummy OEC I was tempted by, but no OMC that captured my heart. So...I left empty-handed! I also learned that 4+ carats, for me, was indeed too big. :lol: Although never say never...

I reached out to Adam (a must for basically anyone hunting for an antique), and he had a beautiful, S-T color OMC that was in budget. It was MUCH larger than I was anticipating...but I had it sent to me for a viewing.

The ring
I was nervous when it arrived and tried not to conflate feelings of infatuation with real love, but the warm, luscious pale lemony golden color of this stone had me weak at the knees. How to describe it? It reminds me of vanilla, citrusy icing. It endlessly throws off soft and beautiful pastels, and now that it's set I love it even more. The bezel bumped up the contrastiness of the stone.

I'm noticing that OECs are much more photogenic than OMCs, because what I see IRL is even more beautiful. Something about OECs is really quite exhibitionistic. They are sexy and flashy and have a real WOW factor that can't be denied. OMCs have a bit more mystery and seem to unfold - they are a bit tempestuous and may try to throw you off with quirks. They are softer and subtler. But boy, I fricken' love this stone.

I chose a simple setting with a little pizzazz - adding a celestial motif to the gallery and shank design. Adam was nothing short of a delight to work with. Kind, patient, flexible...I absolutely plan to buy from him again...I'm sure I will need matching earrings or a pendant one day! Haha!

Gratitudes
A deep and heartfelt thanks to SO many people on this forum...to the friends I've made here, and to the total strangers that have been so generous, kind and have shared in the excitement!

To @Mary Queen of Scotch @yssie and @klrrrr for patiently answering questions, tolerating rambles, ogling what felt like millions of photos, and coming along for the ride. @lulu_ma @elizat @Rfisher @Muluver for sharing options they found, providing resources and guidance. And to everyone else who gave me advice, helped teach me how to "read" OMCs, and were cheerleading from the sidelines on this previous thread, THANK YOU:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Photos and videos
Finally, what we are all really here for!!! I also need to emphasize for scale - I have HUGE hands and long fingers. Bigger than most men! I can hold a basketball upside down! So hope that helps for scale

• Size 8.25
  • 18k yellow gold
  • 3.5 carats, si1, S-T
  • Loose: 9.16 x 8.85 x 6.12mm
  • w/ Bezel: 10.7 x 10.4 x 7.2mm
  • Shank: 2.5 wide x 2mm tall

IMG-3005.jpg

IMG-2963.jpg

IMG-2983.jpg

IMG-2899.jpg

IMG-2904.jpg

IMG-2975.jpg

IMG-2949.jpg

IMG-2974.jpg

IMG-2959.jpg

IMG-2995.jpg

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful stone and setting. If you have a photo of the side of the ring, I would love to see it.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh!!! :love: :love: :love:
This is WONDERFUL!!!

It’s gorgeous on you. That is a mighty mighty lovely OMC and the ring design is perfect for it. Temporary or not.

Ok you braggart.
I can hold a basketball upside down too ya know……..
A mini nerf one - but still……..
:lol:

Last edited:

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh my GOODNESS! This is truly spectacular! Congratulations!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
LOVE HER! She looks spectacular on your hand-like a delicious golden gumdrop. And that celestial shank is just divine!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, it is so beautiful! I too am a lover of the warm antique stones and yours is a stunner. Congrats!

mjea

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful and bright! :cool2: Requesting more close ups please! Also - what is your nail polish? It is awesome.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And what a helpful and instrumental voyage that was. I had specific rings in mind (one of which was unfortunately bought before I arrived) but realized instantly on arrival that the colors were all wrong. I learned that it's not that I didn't like color...it's that I didn't like the "in-between" color range (esp K-L). My eye kept gravitating toward the lush, rich warm yellow tones on the low end of the alphabet, even over colorless. What a shocking discovery! They had a scrummy OEC I was tempted by, but no OMC that captured my heart. So...I left empty-handed! I also learned that 4+ carats, for me, was indeed too big. :lol: Although never say never...

Isn't it so interesting what happens when you see things in person? All sorts of discoveries!

The ring is GORGEOUS! It is a great size for your hand and I love how it matches your hair!

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Your OMC is simply delish, @Cerulean !! Congrats on your wonderful find and lovely setting! Wear in health and blingy joy.

Kataoka9

Rough_Rock
My goodness, that is absolutely gorgeous

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
SO F'ING PERFECT! (I have to shout it, haha) Both on its own and for you specifically :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

(and love the writeup and pic w/your smile!)

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, this is mouth-wateringly delicious. The bezel frames the stone beautifully.

(How do you hold a basketball upside down? <scratches head emoji>)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is beautiful! Love the setting and the shank really sets it off. So glad you found the diamond that makes you so very happy! Wear it in health and happiness always!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful and bright! :cool2: Requesting more close ups please! Also - what is your nail polish? It is awesome.

I need to get the name of the polish the next time I go to the salon - it’s the perfect bluish grey!!!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I also wanted share - Adam seems to be using a delightfully warm (almost peachy) 18k alloy that to me more closely resembles older gold.

It’s still definitely yellow gold, but here it is next to my RG paper flowers necklace and a pair of 14k YG hoops that are more classic cool toned yellow. Tiffany’s uses a very lightly rosy gold - they go together beautifully!

A3481885-FB00-43FA-88B2-3982162818E8.jpeg

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Such a joy to see YOU so happy! Congratulations again. The stone + the ring = sublime! And, I really like Adam's gold. Makes sense with the age of your stone to mimic the gold "patina" that you usually see in older gold pieces. Wonderful!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Positively scrumptious. :love: Your smile says it all! So happy that you've found your dream stone, and the celestial details on the ring are stunning!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I am beyond thrilled that you ended up with the most perfect ring! It was so much fun to ride along your journey.

The stone and the setting are both so beautiful. The proportion of the bezel, the width of the band, the starburst design along the shank with the subtle sparkly melee, the geometric profile, the color of the YG…. It’s just marvelous and the perfect home for your lovely warm OMC! It looks GORGEOUS on your hand.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on your description of OMCs! They are so reticent in front of the camera! And the cameras certainly cannot capture the beautiful tone and colors of these warmer stones… it’s so frustrating but also such a joy to look at these stones in person.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s amazing. The stone is so delicious and the setting is divine. Enjoy!!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning. Just stunning. It looks SO at home on your hand & that smile says everything!

Now down to the REALLY important business of the basket ball. Pictures!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous, thanks for sharing!

DK :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Omg omg omg

It’s PERFECT! It’s so yummy and golden and lush!!

Congrats! So happy for you !

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so perfect @Cerulean!! :love:

And it's such an achievement!! So many things had to go just right at so many steps. I think a large lower-colour antique is probably the hardest sort of diamond to look for!! :geek:

You had to manage your resale/upgrade timing and vendor, you had to find a new vendor, you had to find a sizable stone with exactly the colour that you wanted and with faceting that would shine in a bezel, you had to choose a mount design that was both practical and wearable for you...

Maybe this is the sort of ring that you can appreciate even more because it's an upgrade. Because you put years of time and effort into finding out what *you* like best... This ring is fruition. Maybe this is the sort of ring that really just can't happen without all of that self-discovery. I wonder.

I love it. You already know that but I'll say it again anyway :appl: :love: :bigsmile: :cool2: Your new ring is just so perfect for you and the picture of you smiling is still making me smile too ❤️

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
It’s so wonderful to see you discover your dream stone and the setting is just beautiful. The profile is gorgeous and I love a bezel! I totally agree that there is no substitute for going and seeing diamonds in real life. It really suits you perfectly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results