shape
carat
color
clarity

A little package arrived today...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, Dani, you could post pics of your ring all night, and I wouldn''t mind. I would keep sitting here looking at it. I love that closeup counter shot of the double prongs. I will save that in my saved pictures file. Thanks for these great shots.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2006 12:21:55 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Two new ideas...I think you could leave your head as is and have a new shank made that would lift your head up a little and allow you to keep the beautiful head that is now on your ring!!! That would be my first preference.

Then the other idea is that Ritani makes many, many settings similar to this one that have bands with a little more substance. A 2.5mm band is still very thin but would probably be safer with pave. With this set, I think your stone is going to overhang the wedding band by a good bit. I'm just not sure how that will look.
Oh, gosh, DS, I didnt even think of that!!!? You really think the stone will hand over the w-band? That will look like s*** if that's true!! I am going to have to talk to Bill!!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2006 12:21:55 AM
Two new ideas...I think you could leave your head as is and have a new shank made that would lift your head up a little and allow you to keep the beautiful head that is now on your ring!!! That would be my first preference.

Then the other idea is that Ritani makes many, many settings similar to this one that have bands with a little more substance. A 2.5mm band is still very thin but would probably be safer with pave. With this set, I think your stone is going to overhang the wedding band by a good bit. I''m just not sure how that will look.

Once I saw the photo of your existing setting this is exactly what I thought too - cause the basket of your original is extra beautiful. I wonder if it would be possible to replace the shank and lift the stone and head, sort of the way the GF setting is lifted. That would rock. Big time custom work and you''ld need someone really good, but it could be cool.

Yes, the EC will overhang no matter what, but I don''t think that is so bad. On the other hand, that might mean you want it to sit somewhat higher so you can still see the band part that is *overhung*.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, how nice of bill to send you the rings to try out! That is just amazing customer service. I really love the head on your current ring, which is very similar to the ritani head. I think the ritani is my favorite so far because it looks so delicate and would really show off your large stone, but still keep the appearance of your current head.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Dani!!!! I hadn''t seen those profile pics of your current setting. It is a gorgeous solitaire!! I would definitely have a hard time giving that current setting up. It''s gorgeous and classic!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
kc i would imagine that you have to pay for the settings or at least give a deposit or something or else everyone would be ordering settings to be sent to them free of charge... hee hee.

dani i think that the EC will overhang the w-band as well but to me that is a preferred look. it makes the stone look bigger. i wish my stone overhung my band more, that''s part of my pet peeve with larger bands.

also in terms of the thin ritani, yes they are super thin but i haven''t read about anyone having issues with ritani durability on here AND any issues with ritani in the past have been handled quite well by them. if i were going to purchase a thin pave band, it would probably be only the ritani.

i love the GF setting and think it is quite beautiful in those pictures! but i don''t like it for your EC really. it''s too different of a look for me...and more suited for RB''s or similar. just some extra thoughts!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with mara. I actually like the overhang too. it makes the stone look even bigger to me. i love it when a solitaire/eternity band combo comes up and the stone overhangs the wedding band. remember looking4carats set:

falcon%20maint.%20032.JPG

even mara's friend has the overhang
30.gif

vivi%20bauble%20ja.jpg

I also agree with at least with Ritani we haven't heard of problems with the bands or pave and their customer service has been very good. Also, if you buy from Bill you know he will take excellent care of you if there ever was a problem. dani, you already take good care of your ring and aren't planning on beating it up so I think you'd be fine with the Ritani.

I think it's wonderful customer service that Bill will send out settings. I don't know any other jeweler that will do that.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
What about keeping your EC in the original setting but having a ritani wedding band flank each side? Ala'' Ashley Judd?

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Beacon, kcourselle, Jelly, february 2003 bride, and everyone else who responded!!!! I really appreiate your input!!

Mara and Mrssalvo- as usual- you guys always pull through with your advice- thank you for reassurring me that my stone will look great with the Ritani set. The truth is, I LOVE my current setting, but honestly- no one except us diamond nuts here notices the things we notice that make my setting so special....No one has said to me- "look at that pave basket, " or those claw prongs are FAB!!!" Ya know??? Not that I am trying to impress others, but also to me, sometimes it looks a little too plain....the pave basket can't been seen that easily for me, and the claw prongs are so thin and delicate, sometimes I feel like I need a magnifying glass to see them- keep in mind that you are looking at HIGHLY MAGNIFIED pics here!!

I will always love my setting- you guys are crazy for jewelry just like me, so we appreciate beautiful work...but the fact that it is never going to look good paired with any kind of w-band just bothers me....I want to be able to wear my rings as as set.

I think I am having a hard time envisioning my ec stone set into the Ritani right now because keep in mind the princess cz you are looking at in the pics is like maybe 1 ct? I dont even think it is...So my stone looks MONSTROUS next to it!!! The whole "overhang" thing freaked me out, but the truth is is that any set I pair my stone with, it is going to overhang just because of its shape....and because I like thin bands no matter what.

Thanks everyone for your comments- you really all are the best! Please keep them coming!!!!
2.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/22/2006 10:44:14 PM
Author: widget
Well, I'm in the clear minority here, but I MUCH prefer the GF....It's still delicate, but I like it's substance.

It looks to me like it would hold up better being worn every day for the next fifty or so years...
2.gif

widget
HI:

I'm with Widget here. I like the fluidity of the GF setting.
ETA: I'd forgotten how wonderful your original mount is! Simply gorgeous!

cheers--Sharon

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have the same size EC (well .03 off) and I do have overhang but like Mara and MrsS, I like it that way. I agree it makes the stone look larger. I still don''t think you will go wrong with either of your choices!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/23/2006 5:51:22 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I have the same size EC (well .03 off) and I do have overhang but like Mara and MrsS, I like it that way. I agree it makes the stone look larger. I still don''t think you will go wrong with either of your choices!
Lol! Let me clarify that obviously ALL EC''s are going to hang over SOME if the e-ring is less wide than the stone and the wedding band sits flush! But for example, because Tacori E-ring''s e-ring setting is wider, the stone does not stick out a few mm over and beyond the wedding band. My round diamond will overhang the wedding band some, too! It would have to be very small not to!

Anyway, the Ritani is a beautiful setting and if you like the super thin bands, then it is a lovely choice. I believe that there is so much more risk of damage with those really thin bands and think they are too new to see how they hold up long term. I just don''t want the worry, but that''s just ME. You should get what YOU like best (knowing the risks up front)
1.gif
!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/22/2006 10:44:14 PM
Author: widget
Well, I''m in the clear minority here, but I MUCH prefer the GF....It''s still delicate, but I like it''s substance.

It looks to me like it would hold up better being worn every day for the next fifty or so years...
2.gif

widget
In general I agree, but I think with the way an EC performs a row of fairly large melee might overpower it... I could be off. I tried my stone (which isn''t an EC) on rings like the GF and it didn''t mesh. I prefer the larger setting but for the EC something more understated might be better. I dunno. I''d probably stick with the one she has now, I like it the best anyway lol!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/22/2006 10:57:01 PM
Author: Dani

Widget-

Thanks for your feedback! I love your taste, so I really value your opinion. I love the GF- it is really pretty. If I had a round stone, it would be a really hard decision. But with my ec, I am afraid it will be too much. The Ritani bands are delicate, but they do have some substance to them and are really well made. And I am not one to wear my rings constantly- especially when I am ''roughing'' it- so I dont think I am really someone that is tough on their jewelry at all. I am a nurse, so I never wear my ring to work...I would probably mangle it in a heartbeat if I did! That''s why it is just better left home, where its safe...
2.gif
I am not really concerned about damage to the rings. But I do agree with you- both sets are GORGEOUS!!!
30.gif
hehe I see you''re thinking the same thing LOL

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2006 8:58:03 AM
Author: mrssalvo

I agree with mara. I actually like the overhang too. it makes the stone look even bigger to me. i love it when a solitaire/eternity band combo comes up and the stone overhangs the wedding band. remember looking4carats set:
I agree and this is probably the main reason i''m going custom instead of settling on some of the pieces I''ve found - they would go all the way to the ends of the stone! I don''t want a lot of overhang, but just enough that says, "yes there is a center diamond here" and not just have it all blend in. I want a 6mm ring but really that''s just a 2mm e-ring and two 2mm e-bands right? Just all stuck together :D

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2006 6:09:39 PM

Lol! Let me clarify that obviously ALL EC''s are going to hang over SOME if the e-ring is less wide than the stone and the wedding band sits flush! But for example, because Tacori E-ring''s e-ring setting is wider, the stone does not stick out a few mm over and beyond the wedding band. My round diamond will overhang the wedding band some, too! It would have to be very small not to!

Anyway, the Ritani is a beautiful setting and if you like the super thin bands, then it is a lovely choice. I believe that there is so much more risk of damage with those really thin bands and think they are too new to see how they hold up long term. I just don''t want the worry, but that''s just ME. You should get what YOU like best (knowing the risks up front)
1.gif
!
::giggle:: we''re on the same wavelength LOL When we got married I picked a 4mm comfort fit gold band for my husband because I knew it would never wear out etc. Before we married I was a waitress and I talked to so many older couples who had been married 50+ years and still had the *SAME* wedding rings they had when they got married... the ones who started out with thin bands had worn so thing they''d almost broken through, and some had had them reinforced. I didn''t want to ever have to do that with our wedding rings. I am such a sucker for plain gold band wedding rings though. The ultimate symbol of marriage IMO :)

dani13

Ideal_Rock
This is such a hard decision for me! I have been driving my FI nuts since I got the rings...do I keep my old setting and just wear it on my right hand, or do I reset my diamond into the Ritani so I can have a matching set??
20.gif

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Hi Dani!

I know this post will not make your decision any easier, but I love your current setting. The pave around the basket is such a nice touch. Although at the same time I understand wanting to wear your wedding band with your engagement ring. I never would have thought of that myself if I hadn''t found PS.

Of the two from Pearlman''s that you posted I love that Ritani set. The GF set is gorgeous also but I like the delicate look. I haven''t said anything that hasn''t been said already, but still I wanted to give you my opinion. Good luck with your decision!!
2.gif

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/23/2006 9:26:19 AM
Author: february2003bride
What about keeping your EC in the original setting but having a ritani wedding band flank each side? Ala'' Ashley Judd?
Yes! That would add the bling you''re hoping for, keep your e-ring intact, and make a really eye-catching set! I''m keeping my fingers crossed that you don''t mess with your beautiful ring.
5.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Onedrop- thank you for your post. I love my ring too- no matter what, this decision will be hard for me..

Christa- You are giving me a major guilt trip!
2.gif
J/K, its good for me to hear all the opinions- I love my original setting, but for the reasons I posted before I feel like I may want to change it up...I just dont like it with the big gap- let alone 2 big gaps if I go with 2 w-bands flanking my e-ring....!!! It doesn''t look right to my eye.
8.gif

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, ignore this if you want. :) I just had to post this setting because it''s my favorite for an emerald cut (I wish I had one just so I could set it like this...well, maybe not just for that). It''s a Vera Wang setting, don''t know how the side profile is or if it allows the WB to fit underneath, but just for eyecandy....

verawangemeraldcut.JPG

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2006 10:00:21 AM
Author: FacetFire
Okay, ignore this if you want. :) I just had to post this setting because it's my favorite for an emerald cut (I wish I had one just so I could set it like this...well, maybe not just for that). It's a Vera Wang setting, don't know how the side profile is or if it allows the WB to fit underneath, but just for eyecandy....

FacetFire,
I don't know if you saw my earlier post on another thread, but we must live in the same metro area... my ring setting is from the same store where you got your stone! It would be cool to run into you in real life sometime! I'll know you by your beautiful and distinctive ring :)

Dani,
Man, I love your setting. I think it is perfect for an emerald. I would have a hard time saying goodbye to it (unless I could put a fabulous gemstone into it for a RHR!) It is a very tough call, but you do have great options. I also love the set (particularly the wedding band) posted by FacetFire. The large gap would bug me too, but what about having something custom made or adapted - and then soldered together? (by the way - didn't you fall for a Tiff diamond band a while ago? are you still thinking of it - maybe with a solitaire setting that lifts the emerald up?)

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Oh gosh! I have to say that I like the settings you are showing....However, when I saw your e-ring, I gasped a little...I mean it''s stunning. I''m ALL over the thin band solitaire...it is stunning. Simply stunning. I would totally have the head raised up so that you can wear a think band like that...it''s awesome...You can even have a super thin square-ish shank instead of rounded to match the band more...am I''m in the minority, but I LOVE un-flush. Don''t know why. I''m strange like that! :) But my second runner up is the Ritani set!!!

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/24/2006 10:55:19 AM
Author: gailrmv

Okay, ignore this if you want. :) I just had to post this setting because it''s my favorite for an emerald cut (I wish I had one just so I could set it like this...well, maybe not just for that). It''s a Vera Wang setting, don''t know how the side profile is or if it allows the WB to fit underneath, but just for eyecandy....

FacetFire,
I don''t know if you saw my earlier post on another thread, but we must live in the same metro area... my ring setting is from the same store where you got your stone! It would be cool to run into you in real life sometime! I''ll know you by your beautiful and distinctive ring :)

Dani,
Man, I love your setting. I think it is perfect for an emerald. I would have a hard time saying goodbye to it (unless I could put a fabulous gemstone into it for a RHR!) It is a very tough call, but you do have great options. I also love the set (particularly the wedding band) posted by FacetFire. The large gap would bug me too, but what about having something custom made or adapted - and then soldered together? (by the way - didn''t you fall for a Tiff diamond band a while ago? are you still thinking of it - maybe with a solitaire setting that lifts the emerald up?)
Oh, sorry, I never saw your response in the earlier thread! How cool! Yeah, Grimball''s is great..Kathie is an amazing person to work with, and boy does she know her stuff! Anyway, I don''t want to hijack Dani''s thread, but it would be cool if we saw each other sometime. I wish more PSers lived in this area for a get-together. I''ll be moving up to the DC area in a few weeks, though. BTW, love your reset OEC!!!

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock

I was JUST thinking the same when I was going through the thread.. I LOVE the ring you posted. EVEN if the stone wasnt E-W it would still be nice, I just find baguettes are sooo flattering to EC''s.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Facetfire! I love it too :) All those years it sat in an ugly (well, beat up) setting and I never had any idea of its beauty. Your ring is amazing - I just love it.

Good luck with the move!

Sorry for the thread jack, Dani :)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
dani,
i know you''ve gotten a lot of opinions but I still vote for the Ritani. your current ring is gorgeous and I too love the pave basket but with the Ritani you get too keep the pave basket because it''s got one plus you get the added very subtle sparkle on the bands and a wedding band that will fit flush which you''ve said is important to you. so it still gets my vote
9.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2006 6:32:27 PM
Author: mrssalvo
dani,
i know you''ve gotten a lot of opinions but I still vote for the Ritani. your current ring is gorgeous and I too love the pave basket but with the Ritani you get too keep the pave basket because it''s got one plus you get the added very subtle sparkle on the bands and a wedding band that will fit flush which you''ve said is important to you. so it still gets my vote
9.gif
Thanks mrrsalvo! I think what is bothering me now is that if I reset into the Ritani which I love, I will lose my gorgeous claw prongs- that breaks my heart. What do you think of that?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
is there a way that Ritani can add the claw prongs?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
dani re: resetting or leaving it it alone, your current setting is lovely but i need a flush fit or almost flush fit as well. having a gap like that one you would have would bug me to no end. if that is you as well then definitely get it reset. also the pave head on the ritani is surely stunning, i love that small touch.

i would see if ritani can sharpen the prongs a bit to make them more claw like. they seem fairly accommodating with their settings so maybe if they make you a fresh set from scratch they could tweak the prongs. even if they are not completely claw prongs, they could still sharpen the tips a bit.

i agree that your current setting would be wonderful with a colored stone in it, i''d do a big emerald cut aqua!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results