shape
carat
color
clarity

$60-90K budget 3.3-3.8ct. Thoughts?

peterlude

Rough_Rock
HI Everyone,

I've been on the forum for some time now trying to educate myself on purchasing a diamond for my future fiance. This will undoubtedly be one of the biggest purchase of my life. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to find a decent VS1 3.3-3.8ct F/G XXX, HCA<2 diamond. prefer eye-clean.

So far I am considering the following (from cheapest to newest):

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...g-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1067468

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-f-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-681860

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...f-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2050411

would love your thoughts and if you can find any better ones, please do share. Thank you all!

shaggy1

Shiny_Rock
Re: $90-100K budget 3.3-3.8ct. Thoughts?

With such a large budget, would you consider a proposal without a ring and asking your fiance to participate in the selection of the ring?

You could really do anything you want with that kind of money, and it would be a shame if it wasn't exactly what your fiance wanted.

Does your fiance enjoy jewelry and and have particular tastes? Do you know the preferred diamond shape?

drmommy

Rough_Rock

I am also a relative newbie who recently purchased my 15th anniversary upgrade for budget of 45k. For my healthy budget I was advised to head straight to Brian Gavin (I actually had the pleasure of speaking to Brian Gavin directly. Such a lovely talented person) or Whiteflash. I ended up with a 2.5 super ideal round brilliant stone via Whiteflash and setting from tacori. With your budget you can ask Whiteflash or BriAn Gavin to source you a diamond. You don't have to make any sacrifices and should get the best cut available on the market call Whiteflash or BG diamonds. They have the best super ideal cut performing diamonds :angel:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

drmommy|1473468138|4074746 said:
I am also a relative newbie who recently purchased my 15th anniversary upgrade for budget of 45k. For my healthy budget I was advised to head straight to Brian Gavin (I actually had the pleasure of speaking to Brian Gavin directly. Such a lovely talented person) or Whiteflash. I ended up with a 2.5 super ideal round brilliant stone via Whiteflash and setting from tacori. With your budget you can ask Whiteflash or BriAn Gavin to source you a diamond. You don't have to make any sacrifices and should get the best cut available on the market call Whiteflash or BG diamonds. They have the best super ideal cut performing diamonds in my opinion :angel:

Edited for accuracy ;-) as I'm sure there has been and always will be a great deal of debate on which of the super-ideal cuts are more super than the others! :lol:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With your budget I would also encourage you to speak with Victor Canera and Wink about their stones. The CBI stones are some of my favorites, and the stones + settings that Victor has are also incredible. I agree with others that you basically can go any way you want because your budget is sizable (which is great!), so speaking with vendors directly to see who you "click" with and who has the best choices for your preferences is a good idea.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1473520986|4074856 said:
With your budget I would also encourage you to speak with Victor Canera and Wink about their stones. The CBI stones are some of my favorites, and the stones + settings that Victor has are also incredible. I agree with others that you basically can go any way you want because your budget is sizable (which is great!), so speaking with vendors directly to see who you "click" with and who has the best choices for your preferences is a good idea.

I agree with working with Victor Canera. He has amazing stones and the most fabulous settings. I have never worked with Wink but he has great reviews.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just helped someone with a similar budget, recently.

The person shopping was the wearer, however. Why? Because when you are spending that kind of money you need to be realistic. Surprise engagement rings? That's Disney not reality. Society puts these unrealistic expectations on men that they have to magically read their intended's thoughts and know what kind of ring to buy and that it has to be perfect.

This is a fairy tale. You are spending more than than most people spend on a car. Heck 2 cars. This isn't something you should be doing alone. You can still have a surprise PROPOSAL and do the ring shopping as a collaborative process.

The lady I helped with the 100k budget thought she wanted a 3 carat oval. So we found her several nice ones. She bought them and had them shipped to her. None of them clicked for her.

So instead of having us all continue to beat our heads against the wall, I met her here locally (we are both in Nor Cal) at a great store with a lot of selection. And we had her try EVERYTHING on her hand.

Here's the thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/joe-escobar-trip.223575/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/joe-escobar-trip.223575/[/URL]

Guess what? She didn't like ovals at all. In fact, the one stone she thought she didn't want: a round was her first choice and marquise, which had not been on her radar, were her second choice.

And the settings she liked on her hand were NOTHING like the one she wanted. She thought she wanted a three stone with a pave shank. Nope. She is now going for a custom tapered french cut setting instead.

So... that is my advice. GET YOUR LADY INVOLVED. Go shopping together ASAP. See what looks good on her hand. Preferably at a high end store with a lot of selection.

Where are you located? We can help you, and are happy to. But you need to listen to us.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to assume he knows she likes rounds. That is certainly the safest choice when one doesn't know, as it is timeless and always in style.

The first James Allen stone you linked (3.4 G VS1) is the best cut. I wouldn't consider the other two. I would call them immediately and get that stone put on hold. Then ask if they can get an ASET image. I think it looks great, but I always like confirmation on light return. The price on that stone is relatively good.

I do love some of the other vendors mentioned...I have dealt with Whiteflash for many years, but they only have one stone within your specs at this time. It is superideal cut, and they do offer a generous upgrade policy should you ever want to upgrade the diamond.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3677063.htm

I highly recommend Victor Canera to make your setting, but he does not have a 3 ct diamond ideal cut diamond at this time. He sometimes will set stones he doesn't sell, so that is still an option.

Good Old Gold has one top cut stone at the highest end of your budget and 3.85 cts:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/3.85-ascendancy_heart_arrows-EX-GIA-G-VS2-diamond-stock-14218-cert-7201021076

I am not seeing any CBI (High Performance Diamonds-Wink) in the three carat range and Brian Gavin does not have any F-G VS diamonds in the three carat range.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's like to stick with them shopping together and deciding together what looks like the best fit for them, together.

There are MANY people who do NOT like rounds. AT ALL. And I personally would be seriously upset if someone spent 60k for a stone that I do not like.

Wendylynne

Shiny_Rock
i also thought i wanted a round until i tried them on..... they looked like a door knob on me... went to jewelers without my soon to be spouse. Tried on diamonds and settings.. Gave a top 5 list of setting with the fact that I like oval. My husband went to jeweler in the following months and chose a diamond and one of those settings..... At the minimal you should have her try on diamond shapes-

peterlude

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your kind replies. I do agree, with such a large amount of money, it would be wise to take her along to at least make sure the style selection is the one she wants. I'm going to see if I can get her to come with me for some ring shopping :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
peterlude|1473614077|4075181 said:
Thank you all for your kind replies. I do agree, with such a large amount of money, it would be wise to take her along to at least make sure the style selection is the one she wants. I'm going to see if I can get her to come with me for some ring shopping :)

haha, I expect you'll have an easy time "convincing" her to come shopping to try on engagement rings :) Make a day out of it and have fun! :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's awesome! Just remember you are looking at stone shape and setting styles and then come back here and we will help you find the best quality at the best price we can find! Oh, and take some phone pics of the ones she likes! That will help us a lot!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 to that ^^^

There is very, very rarely a deal that is too good to walk away from and think about, so resist the high pressure sales tactics, be they obvious or passive!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with all of the above. Don't let high pressure tactics get the best of you.

That said, if something is absolutely perfect in every way put it on hold and think about it for 24 hours and check with us. And take lots of pictures.

peterlude

Rough_Rock
So we went shopping and she felt in love with this Tiffany Pave 130 Anniversary Edition! I love it too, because I was the one who saw this and said that she should try it. it's H color, VS1 2.75ct XXX and price is $85K. Price is obviously high because of the Tiffany "Premium" Surprisingly she didn't like 3ct and above because its too big for her. It's limited edition, 130 rings only world-wide. special edition for 2016 to celebrate Tiffany 130th Anniversary.

What do you guys think? is there a reputable dealer that can replicate the ring with a better diamond for better price?

20160911_151717_hdr.jpg

20160911_163431_hdr.jpg

20160911_163438_hdr.jpg

11bd4702718ea57c355d21cfc044d5dc.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
peterlude|1473650631|4075392 said:
So we went shopping and she felt in love with this Tiffany Pave 150 Anniversary Edition! I love it too, because I was the one who saw this and said that she should try it. it's H color, VS1 2.75ct XXX and price is $85K. Price is obviously high because of the Tiffany "Premium" Surprisingly she didn't like 3ct and above because its too big for her. It's limited edition, 130 rings only world-wide. special edition for 2016 to celebrate Tiffany 130th Anniversary.

What do you guys think? is there a reputable dealer that can replicate the ring with a better diamond for better price?

She doesn't like 3 carat plus stones.

It's limited edition designer.

It was 'just right'.

And perfectly in budget.

I think you should just go for that ring. It sounds perfect. And an imitation of that ring would be exactly that. An imitation. And with your budget there is no reason to go that route.

I think you found your ring! Just make sure she's aware she will need a spacer or she won't be able to wear anything next to it without damaging it. So if she wants a flush fit single band, then she may want to consider something that doesn't have that design .

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1473651437|4075396 said:
So we went shopping and she felt in love with this Tiffany Pave 150 Anniversary Edition! I love it too, because I was the one who saw this and said that she should try it. it's H color, VS1 2.75ct XXX and price is $85K. Price is obviously high because of the Tiffany "Premium" Surprisingly she didn't like 3ct and above because its too big for her. It's limited edition, 130 rings only world-wide. special edition for 2016 to celebrate Tiffany 130th Anniversary.

She doesn't like 3 carat plus stones.

It's limited edition designer.

It was 'just right'.

And perfectly in budget.

I think you should just go for that ring. It sounds perfect. And an imitation of that ring would be exactly that. An imitation. And with your budget there is no reason to go that route.

I think you found your ring! Just make sure she's aware she will need a spacer or she won't be able to wear anything next to it without damaging it. So if she wants a flush fit single band, then she may want to consider something that doesn't have that design .

Agree with Gypsy that I think this is your ring! It's gorgeous, she loves it, within budget, etc. All the boxes are ticked, and although Tiffany is known for marking stuff up, they do have high quality products. So if she loves it and you do too then I'd say go for it! BUT, definitely keep in mind what Gypsy said about needing a spacer in order to wear a wedding band next to it.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am normally all about getting it if you love it and have the $$. But I have to say in this case I would be very cautious about this Tiffany ring. Yes, It's "anniversary" and all that, but that setting alone would put me off it. For sure, like Gypsy said, you would have to wear a spacer if she EVER in her life wants to wear ANYTHING next to it. It may not be an issue for the first couple of years, but at some point, I am almost positive she will want the option to stack.

And as for 3 carat being too big. Once she has it on for a couple of weeks, that feeling will disappear. Just take a poll among the Pricescopers and see how many people have had DSS. Diamond shrinking sydrome. Don't laugh. It's real. My GF just upgraded her stone from a one carat to a a two. She swore she never would for 14 years cause 2 carats was too big. It took her 3 days. She's over it.

And for $85K, I would get the most perfectly precision cut stone I could from Good Old Gold, Crafted by Infiniti or Victor CAnera. AND, I would go for colorless. Because with that budget, 3 carat DEF are within your range. Think about it. Colorless in a precision cut. If they don't have it, ask them to CUSTOM CUT one for you. WOW!!!! CHECK OUT THEIR STONES. They are just beyond stunning. Not that Tiffany isn't beautiful but I would prefer a super ideal cut if I had the money.

AND I do love the one Gypsy Linked too. A 3 carat H european cut. Drop dead gorgeous.

Then with ALL THAT $$$, I would look for the most gorgeous hand forged platinum setting I could find. Steven Kirsch (NYC), Victor Canera (LA), Erika Winters. Look them up and start drooling. Anyway, my little dream with $85K.

The good thing is with the Tiffany ring is size it, and you're done!!

Well, have fun. And if you get the Tiffany stunner, please share pics. I am sure you will have something absolutely stunning.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also think that much pave is a huge mistake for a daily wear ring. She'd have to take it off if doing anything with her hands. Look at Victor Canera and Steven Kirsch. I will put their work up as better then Tiffany any day. I'd get the pave on the top of the shank only, unless there is a touch on the basket. That way she can wear a wedding band with it. Tiffany is just too overpriced for the quality you get in an engagement ring. You can get a better quality diamond and setting for a much lower price.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-trueste-with-pave

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-jocelyn-with-scalloped-basket

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/six-prong-solitaire-with-scalloped-basket

I'd honestly just go for the 3.0 ct now, because I have a feeling your social circle may have larger diamonds, and she may as well start out with a diamond she can have for a long time. You can get a better cut diamond than most of the ones at Tiffany, too. It's true. Plus, like LLJsmom said, if you ever want to upgrade, you are much better off with vendors like Whiteflash and Good Old Gold who allow you 100% of your diamond purchase price (minus shipping) toward the new diamond of any amount higher (not DOUBLE like Tiffany!!!!). But if you feel that she really honestly prefers an upper 2 ct stone, that's okay, too. Diamond prices are low right now, though, so again, consider going a little bigger while pricing is on your side.

I'll take a quick look and see what I see for diamonds in the upper 2 to lower 3 ct range.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one has my favorite specs for a round brilliant:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3685684.htm?source=pricescope

Ohhh, but if you want to surprise her with a very special cut round, this would be fabulous! (edited to add that I see Gypsy linked this already!)

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/ags104087613001-3.104-h-vs1-ideal-estimated-old-european-cut

There aren't a lot of stones in the upper two carat range, because cutters will try to go to the next carat mark even if it means not making the stone as well cut.

These stones would be my very top choices today if I were buying a 3 ct round diamond for myself. And if you look at my avatar picture, you can see that I have a similar diamond to the Canera diamond but mine is from Good Old Gold. They are rare and beautifully cut.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So we went shopping and she felt in love with this Tiffany Pave 130 Anniversary Edition! I love it too, because I was the one who saw this and said that she should try it. it's H color, VS1 2.75ct XXX and price is $85K. Price is obviously high because of the Tiffany "Premium" Surprisingly she didn't like 3ct and above because its too big for her. It's limited edition, 130 rings only world-wide. special edition for 2016 to celebrate Tiffany 130th Anniversary.

I tried this ring on and it is gorgeous! I'd get the Tiffany.

cheers--Sharon

peterlude

Rough_Rock
I'm such a newbie to this...what do you guys mean a "spacer"? why is it needed for a Pave+band? Are you guys saying the two rings would rub each other and thus cause damage to both the band and the ring?

BTW: I love the comments you guys posts. All are constructive comments. so much to learn! feel blessed to be here and have so much support from all of you. Cheers! :angel:

LLJsmom|1473664599|4075434 said:
I am normally all about getting it if you love it and have the $$. But I have to say in this case I would be very cautious about this Tiffany ring. Yes, It's "anniversary" and all that, but that setting alone would put me off it. For sure, like Gypsy said, you would have to wear a spacer if she EVER in her life wants to wear ANYTHING next to it. It may not be an issue for the first couple of years, but at some point, I am almost positive she will want the option to stack.

And as for 3 carat being too big. Once she has it on for a couple of weeks, that feeling will disappear. Just take a poll among the Pricescopers and see how many people have had DSS. Diamond shrinking sydrome. Don't laugh. It's real. My GF just upgraded her stone from a one carat to a a two. She swore she never would for 14 years cause 2 carats was too big. It took her 3 days. She's over it.

And for $85K, I would get the most perfectly precision cut stone I could from Good Old Gold, Crafted by Infiniti or Victor CAnera. AND, I would go for colorless. Because with that budget, 3 carat DEF are within your range. Think about it. Colorless in a precision cut. If they don't have it, ask them to CUSTOM CUT one for you. WOW!!!! CHECK OUT THEIR STONES. They are just beyond stunning. Not that Tiffany isn't beautiful but I would prefer a super ideal cut if I had the money.

AND I do love the one Gypsy Linked too. A 3 carat H european cut. Drop dead gorgeous.

Then with ALL THAT $$$, I would look for the most gorgeous hand forged platinum setting I could find. Steven Kirsch (NYC), Victor Canera (LA), Erika Winters. Look them up and start drooling. Anyway, my little dream with $85K.

The good thing is with the Tiffany ring is size it, and you're done!!

Well, have fun. And if you get the Tiffany stunner, please share pics. I am sure you will have something absolutely stunning.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
peterlude|1473704922|4075587 said:
I'm such a newbie to this...what do you guys mean a "spacer"? why is it needed for a Pave+band? Are you guys saying the two rings would rub each other and thus cause damage to both the band and the ring?

BTW: I love the comments you guys posts. All are constructive comments. so much to learn! feel blessed to be here and have so much support from all of you. Cheers! :angel:

A spacer is usually a very thin plain (meaning no stones; could be twisted or engraved) metal band that sits between the ering and the band to protect them from rubbing against each other. It's especially helpful when there's pave like the Tiffany ring bc those diamond rubbing constantly against the diamonds on a wedding band can cause chipping, scratching, eating away at the metal or losing stones on one or both rings.

Here are some threads that show some spacers:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-wedding-set-with-a-spacer.189668/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-wedding-set-with-a-spacer.189668/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-help-me-choose-a-band-with-vc-emilya.221812/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-help-me-choose-a-band-with-vc-emilya.221812/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/round-halo-rings-with-stacking-rings.195302/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/round-halo-rings-with-stacking-rings.195302/[/URL]

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If her heart is set on the Tiffany ring - and she has considered all the reasons not to get it - then go for it!

If she is more concerned with having the most brilliant stone to be had, then go with one of the vendors here with the super ideal cut stone and have something made. I would be concerned about all of the pave in the Tiffany ring and would certainly limit some of that if I had a ring made.

Please come back and show us what you decide on - either way it is sure to be gorgeous!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, the setting on that Tiffany ring is beautiful, but those diamonds on the side will scratch and eat away at any metal next to it and chip and break any other diamonds next to it. So either you wear it by itself, or maybe Tiffany has a matching band specially designed to wear next to it (I would be surprised and interested in the design of that ring if so), or you wear a spacer between that setting and the wedding band to protect the two rings from destroying one another.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
Speaking as someone who's gone from wearing my original e-ring (a 2.75 Tiffany Legacy) to a Victor Canera Emilya for daily wear, I will say that not only is Victor's work impeccable, he's a pleasure to work with. That said, I honestly never had any issues with Tiffany--the ring is stunning, customer service was fabulous, but in the end, I felt like the ring was just too big and too valuable for daily wear.

I usually agree with the posters who say that within the confines of budget, go for what you know she will love. I think my reservation in this case is that loving it while trying it on in the store and loving it in real life might be different things, and personally, I think that Tiffany setting looks awfully high for easy daily wear. With a stone that size, I'd want something with a donut so that the culet can go down lower. Having it set on top of a fairly thick band like that wouldn't be my preference. Everyone's mileage varies on this, so it might very well not apply to you guys, but just one perspective to keep in mind.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results