shape
carat
color
clarity

5+ carat lab diamond - thoughts?

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
@DejaWiz @ariel144 I SO appreciate all of the feedback I’ve been getting in this thread, I can’t even tell you! The fact that so many people have been willing to go on this journey with me and not go totally mad is pretty unbelievable. LOL

Clearly finding a mind clean diamond is difficult for me, so I appreciate the callouts of traits that might result in the pattern noted above. That said, I fully admit that perhaps it’s a bit much to hold out so long to find that “perfect” stone. I will say that if this particular 5.72 diamond wasn’t such a stellar price, I might have nixed it due to the HCA “very good” scores in three categories. I think it’s worth a look though, and perhaps I’ll be very happily surprised!

At the end of the day I’m just looking for that unicorn stone that has an insane cut, faces up bright white, makes me feel like I got a FAB deal and doesn’t make me question whether I’m seeing hue or reflection. I would truly LOVE to post a happy ending to this very long thread one day soon. Ha!!!

TSH, That is what I was looking for too...Actually not a "perfect" diamond but an awesome performing stone at a great price.

It's out there...all those equations for angles on a MRB that Kim and Deja comprehend are over my pay grade. And with Kim and Karl saying not to worry about the 40.9 pav. angle, and the EX, VG, VG, VG was something I needed to learn. (That last VG has to do with spread which is insignificant. I never really wanted a MRB...but you can't find an OEC in a LGD that are in my budget and the size I wanted. I actually find I'm enjoying the performance of my MRB.

Hopefully this 5.72 will be the one! Can't wait to hear your impressions of it...and that price! Did Ritani get you an ASET on it?

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
TSH, That is what I was looking for too...Actually not a "perfect" diamond but an awesome performing stone at a great price.

It's out there...all those equations for angles on a MRB that Kim and Deja comprehend are over my pay grade. And with Kim and Karl saying not to worry about the 40.9 pav. angle, and the EX, VG, VG, VG was something I needed to learn. (That last VG has to do with spread which is insignificant. I never really wanted a MRB...but you can't find an OEC in a LGD that are in my budget and the size I wanted. I actually find I'm enjoying the performance of my MRB.

Hopefully this 5.72 will be the one! Can't wait to hear your impressions of it...and that price! Did Ritani get you an ASET on it?

Thank you!! I hope this one works too. I’ve been reading so much about how common the unnatural hues are these days and I don’t want to have any regrets! They are requesting the ASET so hopefully will have it soon (and hopefully the grower didn’t ship it out to them before they could capture it)! Stay tuned. :)

I’m also a major lover of old cuts, but when it comes to modern stones I’ve realized that the sentimentality isn’t there for me the way it is with a true antique mined diamond. I don’t think I would ever buy a mined MRB at this stage. My goal is to get this big guy taken care of and then move on to locating an antique diamond in its original Victorian setting to scratch that itch!!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok ordered that one which arrives next week, but here’s another option. What do you think of this one @DejaWiz @Karl_K @Kim N ?? They swear it’s eye clean but the location of those inclusions worry me a little. Otherwise it’s a good deal and love that GIA D color…

The inclusions worry me too. Can it really be eye-clean? The cut looks really nice, though I wonder if the pink on the left side under the table in the ASET is something to be concerned about.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Eye-clean from 8-12" (or more), if that is their defining criteria.
It seems well cut and I love the amount of analysis results.
I'd definitely be asking for a variety of videos in different lighting conditions, and hopefully even in a mock-up setting to see if the inclusion is easily concealed.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Eye-clean from 8-12" (or more), if that is their defining criteria.
It seems well cut and I love the amount of analysis results.
I'd definitely be asking for a variety of videos in different lighting conditions, and hopefully even in a mock-up setting to see if the inclusion is easily concealed.

Yeah agree. What do you think of the pink in the ASET that Kim noted?

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I didn’t even see the black looking inclusions up top, I was focused on the ones near the table. Yikes this might not work!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I didn’t even see the black looking inclusions up top, I was focused on the ones near the table. Yikes this might not work!

No inclusions at the top...what you're seeing is internal reflection.

Screenshot_20220628-162336.png

Maybe a little bit of table yaw or pavilion slightly off center causing the slight pinkish in the ASET.
May not affect overall performance.
Perhaps a touch of pavilion twist...what do you think (if you can comment on it), Karl_K?

Screenshot_20220628-162709.png

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@DejaWiz click on the link called html report near the bottom of the diamonds page, then tell me if that answers your question.

That inclusion is going to be eye visible.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
@DejaWiz click on the link called html report near the bottom of the diamonds page, then tell me if that answers your question.

That inclusion is going to be eye visible.

Thank you, Karl.
I see slight deviations, but nothing concerning?

Reactions: Kya

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you, Karl.
I see slight deviations, but nothing concerning?

yep the pavilion is fairly tight with some minor deviations in the lowers.
The crown has more deviations than the pavilion.
Did you notice where they likely chased an inclusion on one of the uppers?
Overall a very well cut stone and this level of detail we are discussing is rarely available.

To bad about the inclusion.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
yep the pavilion is fairly tight with some minor deviations in the lowers.
The crown has more deviations than the pavilion.
Did you notice where they likely chased an inclusion on one of the uppers?
Overall a very well cut stone and this level of detail we are discussing is rarely available.

To bad about the inclusion.

Yep...but at least that kind of inclusion would make for a no holds barred easy identifier... there'd be no mistaking this diamond for any other!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Never seen such a detailed report! Where do you get that kind of report?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Never seen such a detailed report! Where do you get that kind of report?

Looks to be done with diamond scanning hardware using GIA Facetware, plus a lot of in-house images and videos, then put in a very decent layout for the web.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Awesome stuff - thank you, Karl
sure is!
The cutwise site has a lot of built in features also.
It looks like the videos and images were from dibox v2.
I haven't paid much attention to it lately and it looks like it duplicates a lot of the vibox capability now.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
sure is!
The cutwise site has a lot of built in features also.
It looks like the videos and images were from dibox v2.
I haven't paid much attention to it lately and it looks like it duplicates a lot of the vibox capability now.

@Karl_K @DejaWiz is this a bad thing!!?

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Yep...but at least that kind of inclusion would make for a no holds barred easy identifier... there'd be no mistaking this diamond for any other!

Agree but will it drive me mad???

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Not at all! It provides detailed photos and videos of a diamond under various lighting conditions...which are consistent and controlled, so it makes comparisons between different diamonds rather easy.

Agree but will it drive me mad???

Possibly...if the inclusion can't be camouflaged in some way, then it'll be easily visible from closer distances...given the placement of it right under the edge of the table, then my guess is 18-24 inches and closer.
Lots of high resolution videos in various lighting conditions showing various viewing distances will be crucial to help make the determination, if this is one that you are considering.
If you have any doubts, then take a pass and keep looking.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The site and information is brain candy for diamond geeks.
As a self proclaimed diamond geek I love it :}
It also has to be taken with a bit of caution because that level of detail can show things that will not interfere with if it will knock someones socks off in the light performance department.

The kewl thing is that having it all you can use what information your comfortable with and go from there.
If a video and a ASET and a heart image makes the decision for you it is there.

The down side is that it can lead to information overload and make it a harder decision and or confusion.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
No inclusions at the top...what you're seeing is internal reflection.

Screenshot_20220628-162336.png

Maybe a little bit of table yaw or pavilion slightly off center causing the slight pinkish in the ASET.
May not affect overall performance.
Perhaps a touch of pavilion twist...what do you think (if you can comment on it), Karl_K?

Screenshot_20220628-162709.png

I found this video on brilliant earth (not where I’d buy from and way more $$$) and now I can’t tell where the actual inclusion is vs. the reflections. Do you think we would see the reflections in real life or is that just because of the camera?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I found this video on brilliant earth (not where I’d buy from and way more $$$) and now I can’t tell where the actual inclusion is vs. the reflections. Do you think we would see the reflections in real life or is that just because of the camera?

I circled the inclusion in the screenshot attached below.
It may very well be possible to see the reflections of the inclusion in real-world viewing, just as the reflections can be seen in the showcase video.
Since it's a rather large darker carbon crystal, it would likely not be so easily concealed or obscured as it may be if not we're a much lighter color crystal.
...that's how it will appear to you as the wearer, owner, and the one that gazes into it frequently.
Zoom out about 1/2 to 2/3 in the video and that's about as much detail as even a closer casual observer is likely to see while it's moving around a bit and doing its thing scintillating and sparkling.

Screenshot_20220701-222002.png

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I circled the inclusion in the screenshot attached below.
It may very well be possible to see the reflections of the inclusion in real-world viewing, just as the reflections can be seen in the showcase video.
Since it's a rather large darker carbon crystal, it would likely not be so easily concealed or obscured as it may be if not we're a much lighter color crystal.
...that's how it will appear to you as the wearer, owner, and the one that gazes into it frequently.
Zoom out about 1/2 to 2/3 in the video and that's about as much detail as even a closer casual observer is likely to see while it's moving around a bit and doing its thing scintillating and sparkling.

Screenshot_20220701-222002.png

Got it, thank you so much! The reflections were throwing me off.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
TSH,

Don't forget about this one. It will be a 1.3 HCA score. And it fell smack in the middle of the GIA Triple EX; AGS Ideal 0 grading scale graph. When you get the HCA score don't forget to click on the link below showing where it will fall on the GIA and AGS grading scale.

The numbers are exactly the same as my MRB. Even the exact depth and angles crown, etc. (Mine is a 3.45 G SI1). I consider it a super ideal plus hearts and arrows stone as the ASET and Ideal Scope are really nice. Eventually I will do a thread on my stone.

Really good price too!

(I don't know how the difference in weight will affect the HCA Score)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results