shape
carat
color
clarity

5+ carat lab diamond - thoughts?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
On the 6.52 IGI grading report that TSH's is considering...there is "no comment" regarding "graining".

The issue in question is:
are those "dotted straight lines" "growth remnants" or "graining"??? Deja believes it is "graining". I've come to the conclusion they are simply "growth remnants".

Either way it needs to be vetted and caution applied.
Its a large plotted thing in the heart of a large stone.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Closest I've seen to a dotted straight line on LGD GIA report..."growth remnant"

Even a "dot" is a "growth remnant"

Using earth mined diamond grading symbols on a LGD report...not applicable. GIA LGD grading reports only show mostly, feathers, growth remnants, even the dotted circles/ovals are shown as "growth remnants". straight lines are growth remnants. All the circles whether solid line or dotted are "growth remnants". LGD to earth mined inclusion grading...is comparing apples to oranges IMHO.

I've looked at close to 40 SI2 GIA LGD grading reports so far. And this is my conclusion.

Interesting CVD I1 !!!!

A more Complete list:

This is helpful. Thank you!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Closest I've seen to a dotted straight line on LGD GIA report..."growth remnant"

Even a "dot" is a "growth remnant"

Using earth mined diamond grading symbols on a LGD report...not applicable. GIA LGD grading reports only show mostly, feathers, growth remnants, even the dotted circles/ovals are shown as "growth remnants". straight lines are growth remnants. All the circles whether solid line or dotted are "growth remnants". LGD to earth mined inclusion grading...is comparing apples to oranges IMHO.

I've looked at close to 40 SI2 GIA LGD grading reports so far. And this is my conclusion.

Interesting CVD I1 !!!!

A more Complete list:

So pretty much all inclusions are called growth remnants because of how they were grown. I would assume a dot represents a pinpoint, a circle represents a cloud, etc., comparable to the earth mined key?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
twosanguinehearts see of FD will call in this one and assess it for you. I still think it has fantastic potential to be everything you're looking for.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Ok 5.72 is here. Let me know what you guys think!

First impression - this size is my jam! It feels like the best fit visually from all of the ones I’ve seen so far. Huge but not a total monstrosity. ;-)

Color - this one looks more natural to me than the last one I had. Now totally confident that the last one had a blue hue after seeing this. I don’t think I see brown here necessarily - it just looks like a more natural color / very slight tint to me, but I could be wrong??

Fire - stone definitely has movement and personality, but perhaps slightly less colorful fire than the last diamond. Surprising since this one has the 55 table I was after! Still looks nice though, and again, I could just be over analyzing.

Cut - this is what I’m having trouble with. I bought an ASET scope, but I don’t think I understand how to use it properly. What I’m seeing changes depending on my angle, distance to the scope, etc. I can’t tell if there is leakage under the table from that 40.9 pavilion angle.

Here are some videos in different environments:

Video 1:

Video 2:

Video 3:

Video 4:

Video 5:

0B46BBEF-71ED-448D-B870-1FFB67ED30C2.jpeg
1A625618-4F8C-4030-B25B-A0A4E9B89BEC.jpeg
709E84A0-6A4B-4F3B-914B-0775CF8BC08C.jpeg
D84C4EEA-ED97-49E8-A4FE-577EF594A694.jpeg
FF5FF980-BACA-4807-A33D-26478E04341D.jpeg
B4467B82-9A66-4DD7-BCE0-E31069FC95FD.jpeg

This is my last Ritani stone since they only allow two returns (I really don’t like this policy - they could be missing out on a big purchase in the end)! The price of this one after that 3% discount was killer, so I’m also factoring that into my decision as well. What do you all think??

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Heck of an awesome finger coverage, twosanguinehearts!
Is your phone case pink or purple?
Can you post some of the ASET shots that you were able to get?

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Heck of an awesome finger coverage, twosanguinehearts!
Is your phone case pink or purple?
Can you post some of the ASET shots that you were able to get?

Back of phone is the iPhone gray! Do you see a hue leaning in any certain direction? I haven’t been able to figure out how to take a photo through the scope but will work on that so I can post for evaluation.

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks right at home on your finger! From what I can tell, it looks like a great performer!

MinnBear

Rough_Rock
It looks perfect on your finger!

glitterbomb

Shiny_Rock
Wow, it's gorgeous. I think it looks perfect on you!

glitterbomb

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I thought this topic might be suited here...

Does this HPHT 8.19 carat D / VVS1 oval lab diamond appear to have blue nuance?
https://www.brilliantearth.com/lab-diamonds-search/view_detail/13980271/

I asked a gemologist on rare carat, and he said "I trust the gemological laboratories to grade color accurately against master-stones. Digital image colors are not standardized. But the laboratories grading practices are. GIA would have noted blue nuance, especially on such a large stone".

But I have seen large HPHT diamonds that clearly have blue nuance that GIA fails to list on the cert, so I disagree with his statement.

What do you guys think? Do you see blue nuance?

Thank you

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

I asked a gemologist on rare carat, and he said "I trust the gemological laboratories to grade color accurately against master-stones. Digital image colors are not standardized. But the laboratories grading practices are. GIA would have noted blue nuance, especially on such a large stone".

But I have seen large HPHT diamonds that clearly have blue nuance that GIA fails to list on the cert, so I disagree with his statement.

Thank you

Here's a better video of it at Adiamor:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you

I don't see blue nuance in the videos.

glitterbomb

Shiny_Rock
Ok 5.72 is here. Let me know what you guys think!

First impression - this size is my jam! It feels like the best fit visually from all of the ones I’ve seen so far. Huge but not a total monstrosity. ;-)

Color - this one looks more natural to me than the last one I had. Now totally confident that the last one had a blue hue after seeing this. I don’t think I see brown here necessarily - it just looks like a more natural color / very slight tint to me, but I could be wrong??

Fire - stone definitely has movement and personality, but perhaps slightly less colorful fire than the last diamond. Surprising since this one has the 55 table I was after! Still looks nice though, and again, I could just be over analyzing.

Cut - this is what I’m having trouble with. I bought an ASET scope, but I don’t think I understand how to use it properly. What I’m seeing changes depending on my angle, distance to the scope, etc. I can’t tell if there is leakage under the table from that 40.9 pavilion angle.

Here are some videos in different environments:

Video 1:

Video 2:

Video 3:

Video 4:

Video 5:

0B46BBEF-71ED-448D-B870-1FFB67ED30C2.jpeg
1A625618-4F8C-4030-B25B-A0A4E9B89BEC.jpeg
709E84A0-6A4B-4F3B-914B-0775CF8BC08C.jpeg
D84C4EEA-ED97-49E8-A4FE-577EF594A694.jpeg
FF5FF980-BACA-4807-A33D-26478E04341D.jpeg
B4467B82-9A66-4DD7-BCE0-E31069FC95FD.jpeg

This is my last Ritani stone since they only allow two returns (I really don’t like this policy - they could be missing out on a big purchase in the end)! The price of this one after that 3% discount was killer, so I’m also factoring that into my decision as well. What do you all think??

I was wondering, did you keep the 5.72ct from ritani? I absolutely love it on you so much!!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
TSH, Did you keep the 5.72? It looks great on your hand!

Hard to get pictures using the ASET ...it does take patience to get the best picture at just the right angle.

It is so rare that two stones have the exact same numbers so here is my 3.45c ASET and Ideal Scope images. I couldn't get the arrows black on the IS image as it had something to do with the brightness of the white screen I was using. And also captured the hearts and you can see the inclusion on the tip of one of the hearts.

Your 5.72 is an F and mine is a G color.

My first attempt to upload photos on the web. Not trying to thread jack. Photos were taken by my 6S iPhone.

Aset 3.45c.jpeg Ideal Scope 3.45c.jpeg Hearts 3.45c.jpeg

Last edited:

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Sorry my bad, your 5.72c is NOT the one with the same numbers as my stone. It was the 6.52 carat stone that had the same numbers. I was going to delete my post but it is too late.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Hellooo! I’m back after taking a mental break, because this was driving me crazy. :lol: So my question re: GCAL 8x - are these stones basically guaranteed to be amazing, similar to when you get a whiteflash ACA and don’t have to question yourself like a mad person?? Interested in this one - I can’t find the inclusion plot but otherwise looks good! Anyone see the dreaded undertones that have been bugging me? :D

Last edited:

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Hellooo! I’m back after taking a mental break, because this was driving me crazy. :lol: So my question re: GCAL 8x - are these stones basically guaranteed to be amazing, similar to when you get a whiteflash ACA and don’t have to question yourself like a mad person?? Interested in this one - I can’t find the inclusion plot but otherwise looks good! Anyone see the dreaded undertones that have been bugging me? :D

I didn’t see any tones but wanted to say I’ve never seen that presentation of a stone like that before! The fire video had me in a trance haha! Very cool

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

For all intents and purposes, GCAL 8X criteria is a bit more strict than AGS 000 in regards to proportions and angles.
Mouth watering diamond!

MightyDucks

Rough_Rock
I have had two different ACA diamonds over the years and now a GCAL 8X. My GCAL 8X is just as sparkly if not more than my two ACA was. GCAL does all the vetting like WF does for its ACA line with its 8X grade. GCAL also tests for phosphorescence in lab diamonds so you don’t have to worry about glow in the dark HTHP lab diamonds which is a big deal to me.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I have had two different ACA diamonds over the years and now a GCAL 8X. My GCAL 8X is just as sparkly if not more than my two ACA was. GCAL does all the vetting like WF does for its ACA line with its 8X grade. GCAL also tests for phosphorescence in lab diamonds so you don’t have to worry about glow in the dark HTHP lab diamonds which is a big deal to me.

Oh wow I had no idea they tested for phosphorescence!! Extra bonus for sure!

Thank you all for the quick feedback!!!

MightyDucks

Rough_Rock
Oh wow I had no idea they tested for phosphorescence!! Extra bonus for sure!

Thank you all for the quick feedback!!!

I had no idea either till I emailed Angelo from GCAL to ask a few questions about my lab diamond before purchasing. He was so nice and after his conversation I would have zero issues purchasing a GCAL 8X HTHP or CVD sight unseen. They do very intensive testing on these lab diamonds!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
For all intents and purposes, GCAL 8X criteria is a bit more strict than AGS 000 in regards to proportions and angles.
Mouth watering diamond!

What do you think of the crystal on the table??

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I had no idea either till I emailed Angelo from GCAL to ask a few questions about my lab diamond before purchasing. He was so nice and after his conversation I would have zero issues purchasing a GCAL 8X HTHP or CVD sight unseen. They do very intensive testing on these lab diamonds!

Oh wow that’s amazing! Definitely the way to go for a mind clean stone!! Did he say anything about checking for blue nuance or gray/brown undertones?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results