shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW 5.58 ct Blue Sapphire (Gemsthailand)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Yeah! I love it when fiances come here and design beautiful rings for their GFs. It's so romantic!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Extraordinary. Congrats!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful setting with a classic band. Do come back with more pictures where you are able to capture the full beauty of that sapphire. :))

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is gorgeous...you must be thrilled!!!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is STUNNING, she is going to DIE with excitement!!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not much more to say, but great job!!! :appl: :appl:

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Everybody! Sorry not a picture update but a update on the proposal.
I need your input!!!

Ok I have two proposal options planned out. Let me know which one you feel is the better one. I know there is a specific forum for this but since this is pretty much my catch all thread I would prefer to keep it here. I hope no one minds.

First Option: Antelope Canyon Arizona

Antelope_Canyon_02.jpg Antelope_Canyon_01.jpg ant(1)_prefRes.jpg

I absolutely love this location. From the first time I saw it I thought "man that would be a cool place to propose." We have a scheduled Vacation to this location this coming Monday! ;)) The trip was made to seem like a spurt of the moment decision but we all know different. :twirl: My girlfriend needs this little vacation badly. Work has been crazy for her lately and I want to give her a opportunity to detox.

Second Option: Gold Prospecting

I have a very secure location to look for gold nuggets in Arizona. I have been planting the seed for her and I to go prospecting with a nice metal detector for about 2 months now. My idea is that I will find a very old "vintage" metal box to place the box with the ring into. Then I will bury the box with the ring inside in the ground. I have security available to make sure the ring is not disturbed while I go pick her up to go prospecting.

Once we get there we will begin prospecting and slowly work our way to where I have buried the ring. Once over the metal box the metal detector will go crazy! I will then get very excited and say that we should setup our Canon 60d to shoot 1080p film so we can capture the moment. I will dig up the metal box and set it out for her to open. Once she opens it she will see the ring box inside. I will then lean over and lift the box out and kneel down and begin to propose.

She loves the idea of treasure hunting, and that is how I got my inspiration for this option.

I feel like both of these options have a reasonable amount of the "surprise factor", but let me know what you think!

Thanks
~Justin

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring! I like both your proposal ideas but I would probably pick the canyon....since she's been stressed at work it sounds more low key which is what she probably would enjoy the most. Plus it's so beautiful!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Justin it's turned out beautifully! Congratulations.

On the proposal, is there any way you could combine the two? I love love love love love the photo of the Canyon - really romantic and unique (if it looks as good in real life) but the idea of the prospecting sounds like fun - but are the surroundings equally as romantic?

I have no idea how near the two places are but how about going first to the canyon and proposing there and then suggesting you go panning for gold and incorporate the nuggets into a ring to be made later? Then you go to the prospecting place and "bingo" there's the ring! And, for added effect, I guess there's no reason why you couldn't add any gold nuggets you find into a unique ring/pendant or melt it down and put it into a wedding ring?????

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
The problem with trying to combing both of them is that this canyon and the surrounding areas are part of a Indian Reservation so I am not allowed to disturb the ground. :blackeye: My prospecting location is about 200 miles from the canyon unfortunately. I would also say that while the prospecting location is beautiful in its own right, I don't think it could compete with the looks of the canyon.

Good thinking though! I also thought it would be cool to combine both of them if possible.
Oooh good idea on the gold nugget! If we ever found one big enough that would be awesome to have a ring made from gold we had found!

Side note. I want to clarify to everyone that we will be taking this little vacation even if I don't propose there. If I went with option two it would probably happen later in the week or maybe even the following week.

~Justin

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Being quite familiar with Arizona, I would go for the Antelope Canyon idea. It's an incredible, inspiring location, and I believe has a peaceful, "connected" vibe, which is surely what you want for a proposal! The prospecting idea bothers me a bit--speaking as someone who has buried things in the past, and had trouble finding the buried object again, even though I knew where I had buried it. It seems to me that might add a tiny bit of stress (for you) to something that should be a totally happy occasion. My 2 cents, and no doubt worth what you paid for it ;)) .

The ring is absolutely gorgeous!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Justin - 200 miles is not far. Being a Brit puts me at a disadvantage to know whether I'm suggesting is reasonable or not but the canyon sounds like a wonderful setting to propose but then jumping into a car and driving to the gold panning place? Rather than burying the ring, could you keep it with you and just produce it from your pocket, interrupting her as she's busily trying to find gold?

I went gold panning with my Dad just outside Vancouver many years ago (to a place where I'm sure they planted gold flecks in the gravel) but I got about 7 or 8 pieces of gold shavings. When we got back to the UK my Dad had them melted onto a gold disc to wear as a pendant. It holds an incredible amount of sentimental value to me and I've never forgotton the fun we had ............ so that's why I'd be tempted to combine both your ideas!

Mind you, I strongly agree with Aoife that burying the ring is likely to give you an incredible amount of stress so I'd stay away from that idea!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I love the first idea...those pictures are just gorgeous :)

also I have been following your thread and love the ring you picked out!!! I don't know anything about colored stones but that is a gorgeous sapphire to me :)

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I also have to ask: Have you made arrangements to have a particular guide take you into Antelope Canyon? If not, you might want to ask around for recommendations, since that's part of the whole experience.

For those non-US PSers, Antelope Canyon is part of the Navajo Nation, and you can't just go blithely wandering about on your own.

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I do have a guide already. No worries =) Thanks for asking tho!

~Justin

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Justin_Cutter|1314982080|3008372 said:
Yes I do have a guide already. No worries =) Thanks for asking tho!

~Justin

I'm so glad! I'll be looking forward to a report from you on how everything goes. Good luck!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it were me, i would want the beautiful setting of the canyon - it's a perfect place!!

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for your feedback! I am going to go with Option 1. Hopefully the weather will be good for us. :D
~Justin

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
WARNING: Sapphire Glamor Shots!!! If you find yourself uncontrollably addicted to blue sapphires you may want to look away! For your sake and your wallets sake! :cheeky: Ha ha sorry I couldn't resist. Let me know what you think! Thanks

Camera: Canon 60D 18 megapixel
Lens: Canon 28-90 AF (Manual Focus was used for pictures)
Lighting: Blend of White light and Natural Overcast Light.
Flash: None
Mode: Full Manual

I was pleased that these pictures actually turned out looking very close to the reference picture that AGL put on my Prestige Report. My sapphire really seems to excel in white and low/dim natural lighting.
Enjoy
~Justin

1%20edit.jpg 2%20Edit.jpg 3%20Edit.jpg 4%20Edit.jpg

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
I can't wait to propose!!! The excitement is killing me! I need to distract myself lol.

~Justin

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Justin_Cutter|1315084267|3009230 said:
I can't wait to propose!!! The excitement is killing me! I need to distract myself lol.

~Justin

I can see why with a ring like that. When you do propose, be sure to post hand shots!

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I was in Antelope Canyon in June and I would highly recommend not proposing there. While the pictures you see make it look desolate and romantic it is stuffed to the gills with tourists from around the world. I can't imagine proposing there unless you work something out with the Navajo Nation but I there are so many tour companies I can't believe you would be able to get everyone to vacate your section even for a moment. The attached photo shows just how narrow the canyon is - this is a line of people who have been through once and are going through again. The pictures you see are optical illusions - they hide the tourists behind the bends! I see that you have already decided to propose there, so I wish you good luck. I suppose if you get there and it is crowded you can just hold on to the ring for a later proposal. I just want to warn you so you are not disappointed.

IMG_4654.jpg

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is beautiful and you have done an amazing job! Good luck with the proposal, I am sure she will say yes!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an absolutely stunning ring. I love the idea of the canyon proposal bit I also agree that it may be quite a busy place especially on a holiday. I have been there as well, such a peaceful, beautiful place. Good luck with your decision and I look forward to more photos.

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
herekittykitty|1315159695|3009653 said:
I was in Antelope Canyon in June and I would highly recommend not proposing there. While the pictures you see make it look desolate and romantic it is stuffed to the gills with tourists from around the world. I can't imagine proposing there unless you work something out with the Navajo Nation but I there are so many tour companies I can't believe you would be able to get everyone to vacate your section even for a moment. The attached photo shows just how narrow the canyon is - this is a line of people who have been through once and are going through again. The pictures you see are optical illusions - they hide the tourists behind the bends! I see that you have already decided to propose there, so I wish you good luck. I suppose if you get there and it is crowded you can just hold on to the ring for a later proposal. I just want to warn you so you are not disappointed.

Thanks for the heads up! Yea I was kind of figuring that it may be super crowded so I have talked with my tour guide and he told me that if we went on Tuesday it would be much less crowded and that if I didn't get a good opportunity that he would bring us back when it was less crowded. I am still fully prepared for me not to get a chance to do it so if the moment doesn't come I will probably resort to Option two later in the week.

Thanks
~Justin

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
centralsquare|1315155787|3009634 said:
Justin_Cutter|1315084267|3009230 said:

~Justin

I can see why with a ring like that. When you do propose, be sure to post hand shots!

No worries I will :)

~Justin

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Wellllllll that pretty darn nice!

cheers--Sharon

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
UPDATE!!! I am engaged!!! So in light of the Antelope Canyon being so busy I decided to use a different location. We were in Sedona Arizona and went hiking to the Devils Bridge. I told her that I wanted to make a video of us on the bridge so I setup the camera on the tripod and then we walked over onto the bridge. Once we were on the bridge I began to propose! She was so excited!!! She didn't see it coming at all! :)) And she said yes!

Devils%20Bridge.jpg

~Justin

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
I think the sapphire stone you purchased is absolutely stunning. Can't wait to see it in a setting. However, I'm going to go against the group here and say I think you could do better on the setting. The setting is very bling-y, chock full of diamonds, but it seems to me that the setting takes away from the sapphire and is . . . too overstated for an engagement ring. And a pretty stone like that actually deserves a nice custom setting.

Have you ever looked at Mark Morell's settings? If I had a stone like that (and I probably never will) I'd run straight here:

http://www.mwmjewelry.com/

However it's set, I'm sure it will be a gorgeous showpiece, though.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations JC! The proposal and the ring are fantastic. Best wishes for a beautiful wedding and marriage. You are off to a good start.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results