shape
carat
color
clarity

35-36" white round strand decisions

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok, I am really dumb! I was thinking 52" from neck to knee, not half of that! Lol, now I see that's really not that long!

Yea... it's not that long at all, and I love the look. You rarely see it. Maybe try a super long strand... you might like it too.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006 - I don’t know if you got the email but PP’s 20% off coupon is extended for the whole month. So if you decide on earrings and the longer strand you can save a bit of money.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006 - I don’t know if you got the email but PP’s 20% off coupon is extended for the whole month. So if you decide on earrings and the longer strand you can save a bit of money.

Thank you! I did get that email, too! I also got one from Pearls of Joy saying they are having an earring special tomorrow for previous customers! So I will be watching them both tomorrow. I am very happy the sales are being extended!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am short... only 5' 2"... and that's if I stand up tall! I really looooveeee my 52" strand. It's not that long once you put it on and it swings so beautifully. And for reference, my 38" strand falls 2" above my belly button (there's that even number again! :roll2:), right where my waist it.

Okay, then I indeed might need my long strands longer than yours because I am 5'6". I probably should do 40-42". I haven't heard back from POJ about lengthening this one yet. Or I just might keep it as is and order a 42" in a smaller pearl size. I am going to experiment some with lengths before I order again.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Okay, then I indeed might need my long strands longer than yours because I am 5'6". I probably should do 40-42". I haven't heard back from POJ about lengthening this one yet. Or I just might keep it as is and order a 42" in a smaller pearl size. I am going to experiment some with lengths before I order again.

I like that idea! Two strands! I think I mentioned this a million posts back, but as FYI, I also have a 34” strand that I wear together with my 38” and I love that look too. So for you, the 38” and a 42” would work great I think. It all depends on what you like and where it hits your torso area. Long strands to me are like pants... the length is not one size fits all as everyone’s torso and preferences are a bit different.

Oh... maybe get a different pearl too then to mix it up a bit. It’s a great idea to play around with the lengths. Before I ordered each strand, I drove my husband crazy with moving around inches and modeling and asking him what he thought. He’s like no more pearls... they are too complicated!

I do have one more strand I would like to get and then I think I will be done.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, well I am glad I am not the only one who has to experiment with the lengths!

I am very curious what your are thinking for your last strand, @Miki Moto!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! For my last strand, I want a short choker length with large pearls. Think Wilma Flinstone or Grace Kelly, a super short choker.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am kind of less certain today whether I will keep this necklace. Communication with POJ has been pretty poor. I emailed early yesterday morning their time (to ask about lengthening maybe and about earrings), and didn't hear back yesterday or today. I had the same problem initially and it took me days and a repeat email to get in touch with them. Kevin did apologize and then and said he lost a customer service person. I try very hard to be understanding with small businesses, but there comes a point I just have to move on if I want to accomplish anything.

I did email PP today to ask if they had any white Freshadama strands, and I did get a reply saying they were pretty much wiped out due to the Mother's Day sale and the stock might not be replenished until a Sept. buying trip. I had decided I would compare the quality of the two strands if it had been possible, but I knew it probably wasn't because she had difficulty finding two white strands to make a long one in early May.

Soooo, I guess I'll think about this over the weekend. I think the pearls are a little bigger than I want for a long strand. It might be because it reminds me of my grandmother's costume jewelry pearls!:lol: I wish I could see Freshadama's to compare, but that's just not going to happen this time. Lesson learned: buy at the very beginning of a sale before everything is picked over!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! If you're not loving them, I would return them. There will always be more pearls. Your gut is telling you these are not the ones... beautiful yes, but... a little too short, a little big, and little too not happening.

For what it's worth... for a long strand of pearls that hit around the waist level (not the super long 50"+ ones), for me, given the choice of 8.5-9.0mm vs 7.5-8.0mm, I definitely prefer the larger ones. I don't know your age, but seeing you have a daughter, you're not a millenial, and I think larger pearls look elegant and chic on mature ladies. It says "look at me, these are my Lady-like pearls". Smaller pearls on a mature person person to me, say "I am still wearing my pearls I got when I was a young lady". I mean this in no offense to anyone, it's my opinion and I am making a point here to visualize. I put myself in the mature ladies category, and for me, I like substantial size pearls that make a statement.

The great part about about your recent shopping and comparison is now you know what you like and don't like! So when you are ready to buy later, all you need is a few clicks and your pearls will be on your way to you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Miki Moto That’s true, I am definitely old enough to wear larger pearls! It’s possible I would get used to these. I just may not want to deal with the hassle of having these lengthened when I am kind of questioning whether the quality is really very top quality.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Miki Moto I can tell you why I prefer one diamond vendor over the other if you'd like to email me. You can go to loupetroop.com and search my name which is the same as it is here and find my email address in the text of one of my listings. Don't use loupetroop's messages because they are not always reliable.

I am thinking about keeping these pearls as you are right that I might regret not having a strand this size later. I just wish someone who has seen the Pearl Paradise version could tell me if this one meets their quality.

@cmd2014 Can you tell me if your Freshadamas are all consistently round like the earring pearls? Or is there minor shape variation? I can't see it in the mirror when I have these on, but some are not as perfectly round as others.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t have freshadamas (mine are metallics which are *definitely* egg shaped), but of the people I know who do, the feedback has been that the strands are not as round as the earring pearls. Freshwater pearls just don’t get perfectly round, with very few (and rare) exceptions unless you’re going for bead nucleated Edison’s. But those are almost as expensive as Akoya pearls.

My sense of the freshadama pearls that I have seen is that they tend to be a bit creamier in body color like your earrings, and they also have minor shape variations. The luster would be comparable to or softer than what I have seen of your strand.

I honestly think your strand is a pretty top quality freshwater strand. But it’s the challenge, as freshwater pearls are almost always going to be less round, slightly less white, and with softer luster. There’s a different look to the nacre too (it’s more transparent looking than salt water pearls). If you want perfect round with metallic luster, that comes at an Akoya pearl price point I’m afraid (and anything less than top quality Akoya are really not that nice imo, so it’s $$$).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cmd2014 Okay, then maybe the ones I have are about as good as it gets for what they are. They are definitely the color white that I want, and I actually am intrigued by the transparency I can detect in some of them. I may get Hanadamas or AAA eventually, but I do want freshwaters, too. Thank you!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! Thanks for your post; I wil definitely email you.

On the pearls, I am totally going to make you crazy because...
I think akoyas are really the pearls for you. You are concerned about the luster and the roundness, and those are key qualities of an akoya. Freshwaters will never be perfectly round nor will they ever have that mirror-like glow compared to an akoya. Freshwaters have a softer luster.

Freshwaters are a lower price point than akoyas. If price is a factor in your decision, how about getting a lower quality strand of akoyas? My gut is you will be happier with the shape, the luster, and knowing they are akoyas, but that's just my gut feel of course. I may be completely wrong.

As I mentioned before, my first strand of pearls were no-name pearls. I am 100% sure they were worst than the lowest quality of online pearls today (PP, AP). But they were round and they had good luster (not excellent nor even great), and to me... best of all, they were akoyas. I loved those pearls and wore them for years everywhere... casual and formal. Only then when I realized I loved pearls did I decide to spend more for a higher quality.

Since you do not yet know if you truly love pearls, I would honestly go for a lower price akoya strand. For me, I would rather have the lowest grade akoya than the best grade freshwater, but that is just me.
So... how is that for a crazy thought!

I hope these thoughts help a bit on a lovely Saturday afternoon. Right now, I am having a cup of Earl Grey with a scone. I am channeling a British vibe with the Royal Wedding today =)2

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, I would rather have the lowest grade akoya than the best grade freshwater, but that is just me.

I’d caution you to avoid cheap Akoya pearls like the plague. Top quality freshwater will be infinitely nicer than bottom grade (I.e. commercial grade) Akoya. The exception is if you are buying Mikimoto; but their bottom grade will be miles above the lowest grades sold in other places. I have a bad strand from overstock.com. I thought it was nice until I saw good quality pearls. They look like plastic beads and you can see the bead nucleus blinking through the crappy thin nacre. It’s was an utter waste of money. I think you’re much better off saving up and buying the very best quality of whatever it is you buy, or you’ll just end up regretting later. (Mikimoto is the exception, as their lower grade offerings are still very high quality).

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An example from another group I belong to. The nice ones on the top are freshwater; the strand on the bottom are low quality Akoya.

FEB399D2-8717-436E-95EC-1ECF90DDF832.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, yes, I don't think I could do thin nacre. Aside from Mikmoto, I think American Pearl is the only place I know that sells high quality akoya in white with silver overtone!!!! I think I would end up there if I go with akoyas, because PP only seems to be able to access the pink.

@cmd2014 Do you know what kind of freshwater necklace that is in your last picture?

@Miki Moto I loved watching the royal wedding! This brings to mind this picture I saw online of the Queen Mother with pearls on! She is wearing larger short strands and a smaller long strand! I think it is so beautiful!

2018-05-18 12.19.29.png

Last edited:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops, those are actually two Akoya strands. The top is AA+ from POJ; the bottom is a very poor quality strand from somewhere else. (Don’t buy cheap Akoya!!!)

This is that same AA+ Akoya strand from POJ pictured against a gem quality freshwater strand from POJ (like you have). Akoya is on top; gem grade freshwater on the bottom. You can see the same minor shape variations in the freshwater but the luster is quite sharp even in comparison to AA+ Akoya (so you can imagine the difference against poor quality ones). (Hopefully the person who shared these doesn’t mind me sharing them with you in the spirit of my trying to be helpful).

A7047F4D-C4D3-47BA-A75C-FC8130BCAE69.jpeg

As for overtones, Mikimoto Akoya are usually white with rose overtone. Tiffany’s usually sells white with silver overtone. AP sells both (although when I looked at them in person, I have to admit that the rose overtone ones looked like they had more life - might be because they suit me best though, so take that with a giant grain of salt).

If you want silvery pearls from PP, the natural white Hanadama are the way to go.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cmd2014 Those pictures are helpful and interesting. The PP Natural Whites are just too expensive compared to AP AAA. They are not much less than the AP Collection Quality with the thicker nacre. I want to clarify that I am fine with short strands against my skin having the rose overtone. It's just the long one which would be worn over clothes that I prefer the white. One thing I have noticed is that AP has nicer quality clasps. I think that is important especially for the more expensive, top quality akoyas.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How about if you ordered a few strands of lower grade akoyas from both PP and AP? Then you will be able to really see in real life and not photos. Comparisons are great but in real life, you are only looking at your strand and will not have all these other strands side by side. For example, I have seen Mikimoto AAA side by side along with my strands which are only A and AA. Side by side, the Mikimoto AAAs are like glass.. amazing. They are mesmerizing. My A and AAs cannot compete. But I am not competing with the best... I love my own strands and they are beautiful on their own.

Maybe also get a pink overtone one also to see how you like it. I prefer those more than my silver overtone ones as the pink ones have more iridescence and seem to glow more. So maybe a lower grade pink overtone will hit the spot.

Just some ideas. You are having way too much fun!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh... and when I say lower grade Akoya, I mean buy from PP or AP who are by no means chesp junk pearls. If Mikimoto is in the top 2% of akoyas, my guess is the lowest grade PP or AP is still in the top 5% of akoyas. Definitely way better than mass cheap pearls.

In diamond talk, it would be like getting the lowest quality super ideal which is still far better than 95% of all cuts.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are my silver-rose overtone Freshadamas, bought in 2007. The size is 7-8mm, as these were being sold at the time (not 7.5-8.0mm; that came later.) I bought Freshadama dangle earrings at the same time, 8-9mm. Honestly they look round to me.
I changed the clasp on the necklace subsequently; did not realize when I first ordered the clasp how large it was! :P2

Freshadama necklace.jpg 7-8mm Freshadama necklace and 8-9mm Freshadama earrings.jpeg

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
These are my silver-rose overtone Freshadamas, bought in 2007. The size is 7-8mm, as these were being sold at the time (not 7.5-8.0mm; that came later.) I bought Freshadama dangle earrings at the same time, 8-9mm. Honestly they look round to me.
I changed the clasp on the necklace subsequently; did not realize when I first ordered the clasp how large it was! :P2

Freshadama necklace.jpg 7-8mm Freshadama necklace and 8-9mm Freshadama earrings.jpeg

Fantastic necklace, I would always choose all nacre pearls since nowadays the difference between high end FWP and Akoyas is barely noticeable, at least to the untrained eye.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Gloria27. When I got them, I took them with me to Bailey Banks and Biddle to compare them with the Mikimoto necklaces they carried. I laid them side by side with various necklaces and found their luster was comparable to the Mikimoto A1 necklace (A1 is one step lower than A on Miki's scale.) Not bad, considering I was comparing freshwaters with akoyas.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Gloria27. When I got them, I took them with me to Bailey Banks and Biddle to compare them with the Mikimoto necklaces they carried. I laid them side by side with various necklaces and found their luster was comparable to the Mikimoto A1 necklace (A1 is one step lower than A on Miki's scale.) Not bad, considering I was comparing freshwaters with akoyas.
I was never interested in commercial grade FWP, seen them pretty much everywhere and never gave them a second look, but when I saw Akoyas my heart skipped a beat. Then I learned there are high quality FWP that come pretty close so I was hooked! Yours are pretty awesome, I got my first necklace of freshies from Pearlescence and I love them!

Last edited:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cmd2014 Those pictures are helpful and interesting. The PP Natural Whites are just too expensive compared to AP AAA. They are not much less than the AP Collection Quality with the thicker nacre. I want to clarify that I am fine with short strands against my skin having the rose overtone. It's just the long one which would be worn over clothes that I prefer the white. One thing I have noticed is that AP has nicer quality clasps. I think that is important especially for the more expensive, top quality akoyas.

True, at that price point, I would go with AP AAA. And I agree about the clasps.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to mention that I did get a very nice reply today from Kevin at POJ. He is still short-handed and trying to do so much himself during a major sale! He did say they would be happy to extend my necklace to make it longer. I think that would help a lot.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

I’m 5’7” n 38-40” works for me. I have quite a few ropes (tho mostly Tahitians) but after trying various lengths 39” seems to be my sweet spot. I think I have a rope that’s about 41-42” and I found it rather long. Good luck! You can also try buying some cheap beads and ring to experiment on. Cheaper than ordering and shipping back? ::)

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,
Forgive me if this is off topic, but this thread has the best ladies who are pearl lovers so I wanted to share something about restringing I just discovered.

I just received two of my strands back from restringing and my husband said casually “yea, they always make them nice and clean and shiny like new”. And they do, even the clasp is all nice and shiny. That got me wondering... what do they really do on a restring? My husband said for sure they also clean the pearls. I told him I didn’t think so, it’s just a restring. He said “they are not going to send you back a set of pearls with dust inside those little pearl holes. They want your pearls to look good”. I said “nope, it’s just a restring”. He said “trust me, they clean them”. This went back and forth...

So by this time... I was curious... I emailed the vendor and asked what exactly is done and she told me they “wash” the pearls and clean the clasp as part of the restring. I have been getting my pearls restrung for years and did not know this!

I wanted to share this with you for those who get their pearls restring. Next time, you may want to ask what is done to be sure you get the full service.

I hope this was helpful.

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Miki Moto That is very interesting. I would assume you have Mikimoto restring yours? Since you have multiple strands, I wouldn't think they'd each get so much wear that they'd need to be restrung very often. So how often do you do it?

@icy_jade I did just order a 42" strand of slightly smaller fw pearls to compare to the one I have. I may want to keep both, but it will help me to experiment with pearl size and length. I do think 38" is long enough for regular shirt lengths, but I wear a lot of long tops over pants and 38" looks not quite long enough for those.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results