shape
carat
color
clarity

35-36" white round strand decisions

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did this with silver Tahitians. PP found me three matching strands and put them together into a rope. I had an 8 inch bracelet pulled out so I can wear them shorter or longer depending on neckline, and they are very versatile. I wear these the most of anything I own.

36350E73-9C3F-4F5F-88C7-ED99650C51E3.jpeg 9478D445-B106-4A2F-8690-D3CF5077358F.jpeg 4934DF74-719A-4181-A8B3-9C011CAFCFEB.jpeg 8FC0BA7A-51F4-42CA-8AB7-F54EC4AE5C7E.jpeg 4F7C7A81-1AC2-4C93-9C58-702F470F15D0.jpeg

WOW, So stunning I love yours!!!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. I *love* that strand. I think if it as the nicest piece in my collection. I used to wear it to work all the time. But then I noticed that clients were staring at it (not in a good way....more in a “hey we’re paying you *way* too much” kind of way) so I stopped. Then I switched to my freshwater and Tahitian strands, which never got the same reaction, and then to be honest, the last year has been hard and I got a bit down and stopped wearing much jewelry at all. And DH and I don’t seem go out much anymore (and when we do, he never wants to dress up), so I don’t get to wear it as much as I would like.

This is the outfit that got the stares:
7584B562-20A6-4D87-8FDC-6CEC05E41425.jpeg

But when we do go out for fancy occasions, this is my go-to strand. It has huge wow factor. I tend to alternate between this and my AP strand. It’s part of my debate about the Hanadama strand. I have a few fancy pieces already that I don’t get to wear enough as is. Im not sure the Hanadama has enough presence to compete with my WSS for those wow occasions, and it’s bigger, but not that much different than my AAA AP strand (and it’s hard to compete with the luster of my AP strand).

But the flip side is that I’ve never seen pearls of that size and quality be offered at that price (I have been keeping an eye out for years). I *could* save up for an AP AAA version, but it would be more than double the sale price of my current strand (thanks to PP’s amazing 30% sale in combo with my lifetime accumulation of pearl points), and honestly I’m not sure I’d get to a place where I’d be confortable spending the kind of money needed for an AP strand of that size. And 9-9.5 mm ones are even more $$$, because Akoya pearls rarely reach that size. So I think my decision is between keeping the Hanadama strand or not, rather than between the Hanadama strand and an equivalent AP version.

Are your WSS pearls baroque, drops or near rounds and what grade?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are AAA smooth drops. Very high luster. Silver rose overtones.

I normally lean more towards rounds in pearls, but I absolutely love these! I haven't seen hardly any like these before, though!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing about drops (and baroques, and circled pearls) is that no one is going to wonder if they are fake pearls. Clean round WSS ... not as clear what they are, to the average observer who is not knowledgeable about pearls.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, for anyone still patient enough to be around at this point, my experimental strand came today! It came late so I just took a couple of quick pics. It's a 38" Pearls of Joy 8.5-9mm Gem Grade Freshwater.

My first thoughts, it is white enough. All the pearls are not round, but I think with them on, they look fine. I can see some inconsistent pearls in the strand...I think there are white and pink overtone and some are whiter than others...but again, wearing them, I don't see it.

These are outdoors and you can see the whiteness better.

POJgemgradefw8.5-9mm38in1.jpg POJgemgradefw8.5-9mm38in2.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some indoor pics with warmer lighting. The second pic attempts to show that these pearls are whiter than my Freshadama studs.

POJgemgradefw8.5-9mm38in3.jpg POJgemgradefw8.5-9mm38in4.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the length and even could do 40". The size of the pearls is fine, but I'd do 8-8.5 if the pearls were higher quality. But that's not possible because both PP and POJ sell 7.5-8mm and 8.5-9mm. PP was marking out stones on the strands they pulled for me, which was an advantage. But their top fw were close to twice the price of POJ, which is why I tried POJ for my 8.5-9.

Any thoughts???

@cmd2014 @pearlsngems

Last edited:

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! They look great on you and they look pearly white! Perfect! I hope you will love wearing a long strand of pearls! You may get addicted and want a second strand!

I’m so happy for you!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And yes, I would agree you could go longer also. I like my strands long. Perhaps for your second strand!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! They look great on you and they look pearly white! Perfect! I hope you will love wearing a long strand of pearls! You may get addicted and want a second strand!

I’m so happy for you!

You have been a tremendous help! Thank you! I know I was so indecisive about what to do, but I think I made the right decision to experiment before trying to decide on a top quality akoya just because some were on sale. I'll hopefully know better the next time there are sales! I have a feeling there will be more long strands in my future!!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think I see a second long strand in your future! Also think about going super long too. I loooveeee my 52” strand. And for super long strands, I prefer a smaller size pearl to let the strand swing.

So many options.... there is never a bad strand of pearls... all strands make a person look so chic!

Super super happy for you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I see a second long strand in your future! Also think about going super long too. I loooveeee my 52” strand. And for super long strands, I prefer a smaller size pearl to let the strand swing.

So many options.... there is never a bad strand of pearls... all strands make a person look so chic!

Super super happy for you!

Hmmmmm, now you have me thinking! So you wear your 52" long and not doubled. I really might like that! I like this one I just received, but I could definitely go longer as many of my tops are long. Now I'll have to experiment again! :lol:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the size on you. The color and luster are great too. Even in the top grades, freshwater pearls will never be 100% round (except for Edison’s, which are $$$). It’s the trade off for the price. They also have slightly softer luster than Akoya pearls. The slightly eggy quality bugs some people. It’s no big deal to others. Yours look quite round to the eye on the neck. And they’re nicely matched too. But what do *you* think? Do *you* love them?

I personally can’t really wear longer than 36-38 inches. They snag on things if they’re longer (for me). They look good standing up, but not sitting, walking, or moving at all, really. But I’m maybe not as graceful as others might be.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you love it? You still sound ambivalent.

It looks fine to me, but you are the one who has to wear it.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hmmmmm, now you have me thinking! So you wear your 52" long and not doubled. I really might like that! I like this one I just received, but I could definitely go longer as many of my tops are long. Now I'll have to experiment again! :lol:

Hi! Yes, I wear my 52" long strand all by itself.. never doubled or with a second strand. I try to make it the long single strand flapper vibe. I don't double it as I like the long swing by itself. I have a lot of pearl books, and this front cover, plus some movies of flappers wearing long strands was my inspiration. I don't wear it with flapper dresses though, just a boring blouse and white jeans... my standard summer look. =)2
https://www.amazon.com/Girls-Pearls...qid=1526522201&sr=1-2&keywords=girls+in+pearl

My 52" strand is 7.0-7.5mm. Because the strand is so long, I choose smaller pearls. I could have gone up to 8.0-8.5mm (maybe), but definitely not bigger as I thought it lost the "flapper loose swing" vibe. I hope that made sense.

To add to your pearl ideas... when I wear this strand by itself, I sometimes wear my bracelets and stack them, depending on the outfit. Bracelets? Hmm.... More pearls thoughts for you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the size on you. The color and luster are great too. Even in the top grades, freshwater pearls will never be 100% round (except for Edison’s, which are $$$). It’s the trade off for the price. They also have slightly softer luster than Akoya pearls. The slightly eggy quality bugs some people. It’s no big deal to others. Yours look quite round to the eye on the neck. And they’re nicely matched too. But what do *you* think? Do *you* love them?

I personally can’t really wear longer than 36-38 inches. They snag on things if they’re longer (for me). They look good standing up, but not sitting, walking, or moving at all, really. But I’m maybe not as graceful as others might be.

Do you love it? You still sound ambivalent.

It looks fine to me, but you are the one who has to wear it.

In a way, I think the non-perfect roundness at least makes me know they are real instead of fake! lol! It's not really noticeable. I think the luster is good enough especially since I will be wearing them with fairly causal clothes. I think the only ambivalence would be that I have nothing to compare with them! I'd feel better knowing for sure they are as good as PP! Or that they are the best possible quality period. But I just hated to have two custom strands made and then have to return one. I think I do love it otherwise, though! It met my expectations of whiteness which actually was a surprise!

I might eventually get a smaller white pearl rope that's maybe 42-44", but I'll try on one of my long necklaces to see where that hits before doing so. I think next on the wish list will be a long multicolor Tahitian, but that may have to be 36-38 max as it will be $$$. Unfortunately, I think I am a round or near round fan which is an expensive preference.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! Yes, I wear my 52" long strand all by itself.. never doubled or with a second strand. I try to make it the long single strand flapper vibe. I don't double it as I like the long swing by itself. I have a lot of pearl books, and this front cover, plus some movies of flappers wearing long strands was my inspiration. I don't wear it with flapper dresses though, just a boring blouse and white jeans... my standard summer look. =)2
https://www.amazon.com/Girls-Pearls...qid=1526522201&sr=1-2&keywords=girls+in+pearl

My 52" strand is 7.0-7.5mm. Because the strand is so long, I choose smaller pearls. I could have gone up to 8.0-8.5mm (maybe), but definitely not bigger as I thought it lost the "flapper loose swing" vibe. I hope that made sense.

To add to your pearl ideas... when I wear this strand by itself, I sometimes wear my bracelets and stack them, depending on the outfit. Bracelets? Hmm.... More pearls thoughts for you!

I agree about the smaller pearls for longer strands. I was almost afraid to do 8.5-9mm for these, other than I saw that you have 8.5-9 and 9-9.5s in this length. The larger ones feel kind of luxurious (and heavy), but I do think I'd like somewhere in the 7-8 range if I went any longer.

I am quite sure I'll end up with a bracelet, too! I am going to see if they have white stud earrings to match this strand now since the ones I had are more of a cream color. Those will go to my daughter!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
[QU

I agree about the smaller pearls for longer strands. I was almost afraid to do 8.5-9mm for these, other than I saw that you have 8.5-9 and 9-9.5s in this length. The larger ones feel kind of luxurious (and heavy), but I do think I'd like somewhere in the 7-8 range if I went any longer.

I am quite sure I'll end up with a bracelet, too! I am going to see if they have white stud earrings to match this strand now since the ones I had are more of a cream color. Those will go to my daughter!

Your daughter is one lucky person to get all your "leftover" strands!
Great idea to get stud earrings! I love my pearl studs more than my diamond studs as I think pearl studs add a glow to the face. I am sure studs will look great with your pearls!

On bracelets... my two cents (sorry... I have so many "two cents" thoughts tonight... I drank way too many Lattes today!)... Think about how many bracelets you want, assuming you want more than one. And then buy them all at the same time so they all match. I have three bracelets, and I typically wear all three at the same time. They are all separate bracelets, not one multi-strand. I purposely have them as three bracelets as I really like how they jingle and swing when I wear them. (you can tell with pearls, I am all about the movement of the pearls). The fact they are all matching is a bonus. Just a thought.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Miki Moto Excellent idea to get separate matching bracelets! I do want a Mikimoto bracelet just to have that beautiful clasp on one item!!! But I'll probably do freshwater bracelets (in the smaller size) to match this long strand and the potential longer one.

I do have beautiful Tiffany 8.5mm akoya studs now. I love them, but I want matching 9 or 9.5 mm to wear with this new long strand.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the only ambivalence would be that I have nothing to compare with them! I'd feel better knowing for sure they are as good as PP! Or that they are the best possible quality period.

I guess what I’d say is that you *do* have freshadama earrings from PP, so that gives you a way to compare the two lines of pearls (keeping in mind that earring pearls are rounder than what can be matched into a full strand when you’re talking about freshwater pearls). It sounds like you have Akoya earrings to compare against too. And you have the ability to evaluate the strand against your personal criteria - are they white enough for you? Are they lustrous enough? Are they round enough? Do you like the size/length? Do you feel happy wearing them? Do they look good with what you want to wear them with? That will probably tell you the most important things you need to know.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006 Amazing how white and lustrous your FW strand is! I think you made an excellent choice going with the gem grade FWs!

Thank you! I'll be honest, they surprised me, too. I was expecting to maybe have to return them due to not being white enough or lusterous enough, but I think they look great!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess what I’d say is that you *do* have freshadama earrings from PP, so that gives you a way to compare the two lines of pearls (keeping in mind that earring pearls are rounder than what can be matched into a full strand when you’re talking about freshwater pearls). It sounds like you have Akoya earrings to compare against too. And you have the ability to evaluate the strand against your personal criteria - are they white enough for you? Are they lustrous enough? Are they round enough? Do you like the size/length? Do you feel happy wearing them? Do they look good with what you want to wear them with? That will probably tell you the most important things you need to know.

These look better than the Freshadama earrings, mainly because the white is more attractive to me than the cream color. I think the luster is as good. They are a beautiful white and I think the luster is probably about as good as I'd find on fw, other than I have not seen enough high grade fw pearls to be sure. I think the size is maybe one step higher than I would have ideally chosen, but I want to keep them. I would have gone with 8-8.5 had that been an option, but it wasn't in the gem grade fw. But I think they look fine when I look at them on in the mirror. They are just a lot bigger than my 7-7.5mm short Akoya strand. I feel like I will get used to the size, but I likely will get a second strand of 7.5-8 at some point. And that is the size I'd want for bracelets, too. As far as length goes, I am glad I didn't go with 36". I think I maybe could have gone 40", but I need to try these on with other tops to see what length I want in future strands. The great thing about long ropes is that you get to see them!

You've been a great help and I appreciate it so much!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear you about the size. When you’re used to small pearls 8.5-9 seems huge. But once you get used to larger pearls, the small ones start to seem tiny! I thought my 7.5-8 were plenty big enough when I was first shopping (and actually turned down larger ones because of it). I’m kicking myself now. If you ever get a Tahitian or WSS strand, even the largest Akoya/Freshwater pearls will quickly start to seem small.

I actually think the larger size looks pretty proportionate on you in the picture. Plus, you want your rope to have some presence. Sometimes small pearls looks even smaller when they are in a rope vs a choker. (Things look larger against your neck than draped for some reason). Plus, think of the glorious double strand you could do with your rope if you do want to wear it short! (38 is a nice length for that).

But as always, if you aren’t feeling the love, don’t keep it. You won’t wear it in the end if you don’t 100% love it. It’s more about the feeling that you get when wearing it than anything else that counts.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! If you are not sure about the length, I would exchange them while you can. For me, I like long strands to hang around the waist area, the space below the bottom rib and to the belly button. I think it draws the eye to a nice spot but everyone is different so you measure what you prefer.

Also, if this matters to you, I like even numbers (I know, this is way beyond silly), so if my perfect length is an odd number, I will add an inch to make it an even number. So for me, an inch longer is better than an inch shorter which is how I ended up with all these crazy lengths. A long strand to me is not “long” if the eye is still drawn to the boobie area which to me is the worst length for any necklace. “Long” to me should draw the eye to the waist. Again, this is all preference but I wanted to share my thoughts.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Miki Moto I am pretty sure he'd add 2" for me if I wanted. I am about to email him regarding white matching earrings, and I will ask him if he'd be able to add length if I want it. Because these are so large, I am thinking 40" might look better, but I am never sure about these things! :lol:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Miki Moto How tall are you that you can wear 52" strand? Lol, that would come below my knees!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Miki Moto How tall are you that you can wear 52" strand? Lol, that would come below my knees!

I am short... only 5' 2"... and that's if I stand up tall! I really looooveeee my 52" strand. It's not that long once you put it on and it swings so beautifully. And for reference, my 38" strand falls 2" above my belly button (there's that even number again! :roll2:), right where my waist it.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I am really dumb! I was thinking 52" from neck to knee, not half of that! Lol, now I see that's really not that long!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results