shape
carat
color
clarity

3.95-Carat Pastel Green Sapphire - Thoughts & Setting Opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
I am currently obsessed with this stone from the NSC: 3.95-Carat Pastel Green Sapphire.
3.gif

It looks so brilliant and I love the color!
30.gif
What do you think? The price is great too, for a virtually flawless, "no evidence of heat" sapphire.

Remember my pear diamond ring from this thread - pictures toward the bottom of 1st page: Estate Pear Diamond Ring ? Well, WF is setting the pear into a necklace for me, so I will have a setting left over.

I want to have the setting modified to accommodate this sapphire. The pear was 12.25 x 7.83 x 4.57 mm. The proposed sapphire is 8.30 x 7.95 x 6.32 mm. The pear was set high, so I don''t imagine depth being a problem.

I guess what I envisioned was the 5th prong that held the point of the diamond removed and the basket with the remaining 4 prongs made continuous. Those 4 prongs are roughly square with one another. Therefore I''m thinking that the 8 mm square (approximately) cushion should fit with a minor modification.

Do you this this is do-able? If not, would it be hard to just replace the main basket and keep the baguettes intact?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Here is a picture of the sapphire....

U588_1_TH1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know how much "life" this stone has. It is awfully bottom heavy, the culet looks off center and the symmetry looks off too...

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the color of the sapphire, but I think it needs a re-cut. The stone looks really deep, so you probably won''t loose much if any diameter if they recut it.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Chrono. Thanks for your thoughts. I know what you mean, but I thought the symmetry appearance had more to do with the orientation of the stone in the photo. I don't mind off-center culets - sometimes they are better!

Did you watch the video? It looked pretty symmetrical to me in the video. What are you seeing that is bothersome?

The stone is deep, but like culets, that's a call that the cutter makes in order to maximize the face-up appearance of the stone. I wouldn't think that the NSC carries poorly cut stones.

Why do you not think the stone has much life? I thought it looked really lively! Hmm.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe it's my aging eyes or the picture, but the face up symmetry seems off to me. It's not a squarish cushion square, one side is fatter and the other side is sort of skewed. I guess I'd better go watch the video. Somtimes, stones that have a shallow crown with deep bellies don't sparkle well (well, sparkle or have as much brillliance in the coloured stone way). I am only guessing on this based on the picture.

Update:
Just viewed the video. How did I miss that link?
39.gif
Anyway, my eye still detected the off symmetry. Sorry but my eyes are anal like that.
3.gif
The stone sure looked very brilliant. I also noted the light reflective base it is sitting on. I wonder if that has any effect on the brilliance of the sapphire? I also noted the crown of the stone was cut differently, termed fancy crown by NSC. Perhaps that is what is helping the sapphire look more sparkley?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about calling them and asking them their opnions of the stone?? I did that when I bought my sapphire ring from them. Good luck!!!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 4:06:17 PM
Author: Kaleigh
How about calling them and asking them their opnions of the stone?? I did that when I bought my sapphire ring from them. Good luck!!!
Hi Kaleigh. Yes, I had the same thought - ah, great minds!
16.gif

I spoke with Steven who told me the stone is blinding-ly brilliant. I couldn't stand it, so I'm having the stone sent to me for inspection.

Chrono and KC, I'll let you know how the symmetry looks in real life and if it's "too deep". I know sometimes with lighter color sapphires, they are cut deeper so they don't have a window. This one does not seem to have a window.

Any thoughts on the setting? Does it make sense to try the retrofit?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cool. Steven is a straight shooter, I really respect him. Let me go back and look at the setting idea.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gosh it looks doable but am no expert. Do you have a good bench jeweler??

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 4:23:56 PM
Yes, there's a local guy here who is great. There's usually at least a 2-3-week-wait minimum because he's so sought-after.

Steven offered to take a look at the setting and make the adjustment if it's possible. Do you (or anyone) have any experience with their benchwork?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 4:29:25 PM
Author: starryeyed

Date: 4/13/2007 4:23:56 PM
Yes, there''s a local guy here who is great. There''s usually at least a 2-3-week-wait minimum because he''s so sought-after.

Steven offered to take a look at the setting and make the adjustment if it''s possible. Do you (or anyone) have any experience with their benchwork?
They guy they use used to work for Cartier, doesn''t get better than that. I asked because the setting looked very much like something Leon Mege would have done, slender claw prongs. And he told me the story of this bench jeweler...

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Kaleigh - that sound encouraging!

However, I don't hold out much hope - I spoke to Leon at WF, gave him the sapphire dimensions, and he told me I'd be better off with a new setting to the tune of $2200. Yikes! That seemed kinda high considering I already have the side diamonds in my original setting.

Sorry to those folks reading this thread and trying to use the link to the NSC - for some reason, the link has been de-activated. Maybe the NSC is really confident that I'll love the stone! I thought "Out on Memo" would have displayed for more than a few hours anyway. Sorry!

So the sapphire is due to arrive on Monday - can't wait!
26.gif
Although I'm a little afraid that I'll love the stone and not be able to re-use the setting. That would stink!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Starryeyed,
I''m afraid I can''t be of much here. I can''t find the stone or video on the website. Do take pixs when it arrives. Maybe I''ll be able to chime in then. Sorry.
8.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can''t wait for Monday, get that camera ready!!!
36.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
The color is really lovely, so I can''t wait to see pics!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
30.gif
30.gif
Your pear is GORGEOUS
30.gif
30.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Skippy! I'm having a necklace made for my wedding. WF is doing it for me, which is why they have the setting.

Harriet, KC, Kaleigh, I'll be sure to have the camera charged and ready!
1.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, I love the color of that sapphire. Sooooo jealous (in a good way).
30.gif
30.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2007 10:51:28 PM
Author: Skippy123
Also, I love the color of that sapphire. Sooooo jealous (in a good way).
30.gif
30.gif
thanks Skippy! Other than the depth, I think it looks like a green cushion-cut diamond.
2.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
hey Starry, can you please post picture of your setting and some dimensions? I like the color of this stone and would love to help you to fit it into the old setting ...

icekid

Ideal_Rock
sapphire looks lovely!! pictures when you get it?!
36.gif
I hope you can figure something out with the setting you already have.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2007 3:57:01 PM
Author: Pricescope
hey Starry, can you please post picture of your setting and some dimensions? I like the color of this stone and would love to help you to fit it into the old setting ...
Hi Irina!
35.gif
I''d love your help!

Below are the photos from an appraisal - sorry this is the best I have, other than the pictures of the ring from the thread referenced above. WF has my setting or I''d take more.

Icekid, I''m hoping the sapphire arrives tomorrow - I''m not sure if the storm has delayed UPS at all. The weekend wait nearly killed me!
2.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Here it is. Not sure why the image is so small. Again, the stone dimensions were/are:

Pear: 12.25 x 7.83 x 4.57 mm
Sapphire: 8.30 x 7.95 x 6.32 mm

Thanks!
1.gif

PearSetting3CC.jpg

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, let's wait till you get the stone and first - see if you like it (take your time, move it around the room, outside, take it to the bathroom
9.gif
).
Then ask yourself if the perimeter is symmetrical enough for you, it's very important imho. I am not talking about off-square, but is it a rectangle or a trapezoid?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Irina. I understand what you are saying. I''m waiting with bated breath for the UPS truck!
1.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
That sapphire is so beautiful, can''t wait to see it in a setting. Irina, LOL, take it to the bathroom, LOL LOL, that is what I do, ha ha ha ha ha, with my stones. You made me laugh.
9.gif

Linda

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
So the sapphire arrived today. I am a bit disappointed. The NSC site said the sapphire clarity was "Perfection (IF, VVS1)". You will see a noticeable fissure in the images below. Steven told me that "Perfection" does not mean internally flawless - he said inclusions are to be expected. This just seems more like an SI stone. Hmm.

GreenSapp2.jpg

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
There is also a window near the culet, which you will see in a few shots below.

GreenSapp3.jpg

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Here is the fissure.

GreenSappIncl1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results