shape
carat
color
clarity

3.95-Carat Pastel Green Sapphire - Thoughts & Setting Opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Chrono,

I was just checking out my pads again. The one in my avatar has a little silk in it, but the others are eye clean. My ring (avatar) is beautiful though and I love her.

Linda

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry, Starry.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Linda. If this were "silk" it would be a different story. Silk can add to the internal luster of a sapphire.

This inclusion looked like a nasty needle. It started at a small black dot in the table and ended at a big black-brown glob just under the girdle. Bottom line - not "Perfection (IF, VVS1)" as specifically stated on the website.

The sapphire went back today - thanks for your condolences Harriet!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
You definitely did the right thing by passing - that is quite a noticeable needle from your photos. It wasn''t meant to be with this stone, but hopefully the one that IS meant to be isn''t far away!!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Thanks FireGoddess! Good things come to those who wait, right?
17.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I waited for my e-ring...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2007 9:16:56 PM
Author: starryeyed
Thanks FireGoddess! Good things come to those who wait, right?
17.gif

Exactly, you will find the stone of your dreams; I can feel it in my bones, for reals! Keep looking; it is waiting for you Starry.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Skippy!
1.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Starry, so sorry to hear that! It was such a pretty color in the pictures, and seemed so perfect!! (Now you got ME wanting a green sapphire!!)

In gemstones, they are graded differently than diamonds. It all depends on their type. Sapphires and rubies are known to be more included than say a topaz, so they are graded on a different scale.

It doesn''t excuse what they wrote, versus what you say, but it may explain it a bit, as diamond grading can not be applied to gemstones. Usually what I notice in sapphires are the rutile needles in silk form, the color banding or major color zoning and sometimes fingerprinting.

Some info on how gemstones are broken up for grading: http://www.faceters.com/askjeff/answer41.shtml

Some elementary info on Sapphires: http://www.gemnation.com/base?processor=getPage&pageName=sapphire_clarity

Better luck next gem!
9.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Nicrez! Yes, aren''t green sapphies lovely? I''m hooked!
3.gif
I''ve been a sapphire junkie for a while - I can''t help myself. I haven''t quite made the leap to yellow yet - it doesn''t look good on my skintone.

And, isn''t Gemnation great? I bought my pink sapphire from them and am thrilled with the stone. They were really straight with me and their prices are reasonable. No excuses about the clarity grading being different than diamonds, blah, blah, blah. No fudged answers and no BS to justify a ridiculous price.

I wasn''t familiar with the other reference (Faceters), but here''s what they call VVS in Corundum:

VVS - Very, Very Slightly Included (the best) Minor inclusions that are somewhat easy to see using 10X, but still not visible to the naked eye.

This is very similar to what the NSC outlines on their "Clarity" link:

"Perfection (IF, VVS1)" This would be for a sapphire that is completely clean to the eye, but not necessarily at 10X magnification.

Pretty clear - same idea, and definitely NOT what the green sapphire was with that super visible needle/fissure and the brown/black glob under the girdle. It was definitely not silk either. Bummer.

Thanks for thinking of me Nicrez!
1.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
LOL, actually Starry, I thought of you yet again at lunch! Walking around the diamond district (which is like walking in a candy store with no money but a quarter) I saw some green sapphire rings in a window. Acutally, you really got me into them... WHY?! Like I need anything else to love and not aquire immediately?!

If anyone is in NY:
In the window of a fairly decent looking shop on Fifth and 48th, there are some interesting enamel and gemstone rings, and some really nice chunky beaded gemstone necklaces, as well as some beautiful cocktail rings. I think it was called Treasurely by Dimá. I''ve never noticed them before, but they have some very cute things today!!!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
I know, Nicrez, it's an illness!
1.gif
Ha-ha! Sorry I "infected" you!
2.gif

I think just last week I responded to a "What's on your Wishlist" thread by Harriet and said I felt satiated! That didn't last very long.
7.gif

I think I like green sapphires for several reasons. First I like emeralds, but they are really soft, and it's difficult to find one that is really brilliant, relatively clear, and a gorgeous deep electric color, without breaking the bank. This is much more achievable with green sapphires.

Also, the way the light is reflected and range of colors to green sapphires are wonderful. Other green stones just don't have the same look for me. Pokey's tsavorite is gorgeous, particularly if you want something super-green. I like slightly blue-green. The yellow-green that Irina posted is nice too - looks much nicer than a peridot.

The hardness allows you to wear them regularly. Diamonds look great with them.

I think I had better stop before I whip myself into a frenzy!
3.gif
Good thing I can't walk around the Diamond District at lunch. I'd probably start selling body parts....

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2007 9:16:56 PM
! Good things come to those who wait, right?
17.gif
Indeed.

And lol at the body parts.
9.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 2:06:22 PM
I know, Nicrez, it's an illness!
1.gif
Ha-ha! Sorry I 'infected' you!
2.gif

I think just last week I responded to a 'What's on your Wishlist' thread by Harriet and said I felt satiated! That didn't last very long.
7.gif

I think I like green sapphires for several reasons. First I like emeralds, but they are really soft, and it's difficult to find one that is really brilliant, relatively clear, and a gorgeous deep electric color, without breaking the bank. This is much more achievable with green sapphires.

Also, the way the light is reflected and range of colors to green sapphires are wonderful. Other green stones just don't have the same look for me. Pokey's tsavorite is gorgeous, particularly if you want something super-green. I like slightly blue-green. The yellow-green that Irina posted is nice too - looks much nicer than a peridot.

The hardness allows you to wear them regularly. Diamonds look great with them.

I think I had better stop before I whip myself into a frenzy!
3.gif
Good thing I can't walk around the Diamond District at lunch. I'd probably start selling body parts....
That would be exactly why I have two wooden legs and no kidneys! ;-) (kidding)

Have you considered the Aquamarines? Here in the US they are BLUE, but in Asia they prefer the stones to be more greenish. They are quite lovely!

Although this one is sold, it's a nice specimen... (tough to find though)
http://cgi.ebay.ie/Stunning-11-40cts-IF-VVS1Trillion-Cut-Green-Aquamarine_W0QQitemZ150107539258QQcategoryZ10200QQcmdZViewItem

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 1:13:46 PM
Hi Nicrez! Yes, aren''t green sapphies lovely? I''m hooked!
3.gif
yum... a green sapphire is on my (long!) list too... there are some lovely ones out there! hopefully you will find yours soon!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 5:28:29 PM
Author: Nicrez
Have you considered the Aquamarines? Here in the US they are BLUE, but in Asia they prefer the stones to be more greenish. They are quite lovely!
Although this one is sold, it''s a nice specimen... (tough to find though)
http://cgi.ebay.ie/Stunning-11-40cts-IF-VVS1Trillion-Cut-Green-Aquamarine_W0QQitemZ150107539258QQcategoryZ10200QQcmdZViewItem
Wow, this is such a nice color Nicrez! Do you think there would be a window in this type of stone?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you mean windowing in aquas or the trilliant cut? It all depends on the cutter. Just get a well cut aqua from a respectable vendor and you won''t have to deal with windowed stones, whether it be aquamarines or some other type of gemstones.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Chrono''s right. It''s all about the cutter. Sometimes a few extra facets on a pavillion will make the world of difference. I had a friend you used to be a lapidary in his country and he showed me the crap they bought cheap from Thailand (great rough but shoddy cuts to retain weight) and how with just a facet or two he reduced the windowing everytime. God i wish he still polished!
39.gif
I have like a dozen or more stones I could gladly recut or repolish...

Speaking of which I once saw an ad for your own lapidary wheel for like $2000. Not exactly heavy duty, but how fun would it be to shave off those window areas on your gemstones at home after dinner? LOL
31.gif
9.gif

Heileman&Co.

Rough_Rock
Great color...not so great window! If you still want it maybe a bezel would be a good option to try to mask it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results