shape
carat
color
clarity

2.36ct RB back in layaway

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woo , can I see a white inclusion at 9.00 and 3.00 or is one a reflection of the other? It looks to me like 2 visible inclusions on the diamond....could be wrong though! If you love it - do as the other ladies said and get that appraisal and Sarin done on the diamond to be sure, 8k is a lot of bucks! If it speaks to you and you feel it is a deal with such a large diamond for the money then fine, it is just a case of knowing you might get a better performance with smaller and better cut, that being said it still looks like a pretty diamond and a very nice size!
31.gif
Just a tip - tilt the stone to see if the flaw reflects in different lights just in case, these can be things you don't notice immediately.

Let us know what you decide!
35.gif

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
wooo Headlight, you say almost my exacts thoughts! I too think Mara is awesome and very patient!!! WOW, she has great knowledge. I live in this little Ohio town where no one I know even knows stones are certified. The big Z---- store in the mall is where everyone shops. They all have the same settings and 1/2 -1.0ct max. center stones. I am considered a LOONE about my jewelery. Family and friends just don''t understand. I blame us living in Miami when we first go married. THe BUG HIT HARD.....JEWLERY BUG THAT IS !!! I am going to send it out for appraisal and see what they say and have it set in a plain tiffany setting to see how the flaws look in it..............:) woooooooooooooooo

Thank you for being the other side of the coin.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Where in Ohio Woo?

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Troy :) I work in Dayton and live in Troy. North of Dayton.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
more photos....

q12S.JPG

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
wooo

q15S.JPG

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
wooo

MVC-q6S.JPG

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it does look better in the other pics Woo - nice bit of fire! Good decision to get the appraisal, other wise it might always bug you if you didn't do it - and it is a great size!
31.gif
Looking at the last pic, if that is the white inclusion I can see at about 5.00, double split prongs might hide that quite well.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree those pictures look much better. Follow your heart. Just don''t rush into it.

I am a former Ohio girl as well so I was just curious. I am going back this weekend for my shower. Can''t wait!

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
woo what part of Ohio :) I have family all over

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock

I was just curious what the big dark spot near the center is. Is it an inclusion or a miscut facet or what?

woobug02- You are going to be the one who wears it everyday so it really needs to be your decision. If it were me I wouldn''t be able to wear it and I know I wouldn''t be able to handle an I1 at all because it doesn''t look eye clean to me. If you love it though then that is all that matters.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2006 10:26:45 AM
Author: woobug02
woo what part of Ohio :) I have family all over

Well, I went to highschool in Cleveland, college at Ohio University (where I met FI) and he grew up in Dublin (Columbus). I am going to Columbus for the shower (and get to see my mom and sis from WI where they now live!!!!) His dad works in Dayton and commutes. So crazy.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Here is what I am talking about with Kittycat''s. look at it in the first few and then look at it later ????

kit06.jpg

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
woo

kit.jpg

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
:)

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
woo

kitty3.jpg

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
What a difference :)

kit9876.jpg

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know what that black spot is .... it is not visable when looking the stone .....hum.. The stone is very clean except one small flaw on the side. Maybe leakage

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Wooo Tacori, my cousin graduated from Ohio University. My husbands family owns a big farm in Athens. My middle daughter who is junior is considering OU for Jouranlisim. Several family members live in Columbus too. Now I bet there are some beautiful stones in Columbus. They have fabulous shopping. My cousin got her platinum ring made in columbus and it is a beauty. Wow, your dad is tough. That is an hours drive both ways. I am the Director of Operations for a manufacturing company in Dayton right off 75 but we are relocating to Centerville...

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Woooo Headlight when you ran it thru the numbers does it show excellent????

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, its hard to tell sometimes about a stone in photographs. That is why only you can judge.

I am sure your daughter will love OU if she decides to go there. It was a great place for me.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
That area of Ohio is BEAUTIFUL and the campus seems awesome. It would close enough to see her when she wants to see us .....hehehehe

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are two black spots that I see in EVERY photo...someone else noticed one of them..to me it''s very large and near the center and it totally distracts from the stone.

and not like I am saying you are lying woo but I just don''t see how the camera can pick up a dark spot in EVERY PHOTO that is really ''not there''. even the worst photos of an ideal cut diamond seen on here still don''t show weird black spots.

this is why i am skeptical. sorry to beat the drum one more time but i couldnt in good conscience not mention it one last time.

anyway keep us posted on if the stone goes on to be appraised etc.

and it''s funny you mention kittycat''s stone because to me it looks like a whole different stone the 2nd time around. totally odd for sure and i don''t know if just her setting change could be sooo different. it''s not like her old setting covered the sides of the stone or was a bezel anything. truly puzzling.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2006 10:47:32 AM
Author: woobug02
Woooo Headlight when you ran it thru the numbers does it show excellent????
I ran the numbers from the EGL certificate in the HCA and got what I posted earlier. No one has commented as to why it got such a good rating. I suppose people are doubting that the numbers on the certificate are accurate because it is EGL???
I think this is why many have suggested you get a sarin to validate the numbers. I am definitely confused over this, because if the numbers are correct on the grading report, and the HCA rates it so highly, then what''s the deal? Does this mean that the HCA does not always work?
(Inquiry minds want to know!)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh headlight i forgot to say earlier that did you run the EGL percentages? i would assume since i don''t think they have changed to offer angles.

running %''s through HCA is not accurate. the reason is that EGL rounds their percentages, so if an angle really translates to 13.6% for crown, EGL rounds it to 14% which means they are talking about a totally different angle for the stone, which can make a huge difference. same with pavilion.

most EGL stones i have run after a real sarin is performed have changed significantly with scores, for example if this one scored a 1.9 on the HCA with %''s then true angles may be more like a 2.9 on the HCA.. one other thing is that almost all of the EGL certs i have run with %''s then with angles on here have come back significantly worse with accurate, not rounded, numbers. this is another reason why i just don''t love EGL. honestly i feel like 99% of the stones from EGL are graded there for a reason, because they are lax and lenient and the cut is typically only fair or good. if you feel like you could get a better grade, you would send that stone to GIA because they command more $$ after being graded by GIA vs EGL. who doesn''t want to get more money for a stone? someone who knows they wouldn''t be able to.

so woo if you really want an accurate HCA score, get a sarin on the stone when the appraiser checks it out. you can''t use this 1.9.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Mara, i understand what you are seeing but it isn''t there when you are looking at the stone in person :) Would that be leakage???? I too that kittycats stone looked strange but wonder if it is the lighting. I see how different my two stones look compared to inperson and i go OH MY photos don''t do anything for them
7.gif
So maybe that is what happen to hers

ok9.jpg

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Thank you very much, Mara, for shedding light on this for me, in regards to using percentages in the HCA!
In regards to the EGL vs. GIA stone submission, I mentioned that to Woo in an earlier post.
IMO, EGL stones can be an option for buyers who are not concerned with the numbers or a specific grading, etc., but who are only concerned with what pleases their eye. And, as we know, what pleases one''s eye is totally subjective.
As we see here on PS all the time, so many people are over the moon over their diamond purchase and then they learn all this stuff about the numbers and the grading, etc. and never look at their diamond the same way again (and are really bummed!). It is almost like that saying: "Ignorance is bliss"!!!
As for the black spot, as I mentioned earlier, I do see it as well, but apparently Woo doesn''t so I guess that it is a good thing! Perhaps it isn''t translating as large in person??? Perhaps fire flashes overcompensate for it? Hell, I don''t know!!!
I think it is great that so many have given her advice and options about pursuing "due diligence" on the stone that she may have previously been unaware were options available to her.
Some people are "wired" in such a way that they just don''t scrutinize things like a diamond very closely, like "a diamond is a diamond is a diamond" -- you are clearly not this type of person which is both a blessing and a curse ($$$$$$$$)!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yep headlight, again having had this same experience myself where we took home what we thought was a fab stone and then immediately realizing that it was not the performer we had hoped...i just don''t want anyone to get stuck in the same situation, which is why it''s so great that PS is here..!! if nothing else it either makes you REALLY SURE about what you are getting into, or red flags a few things that need looking into because 100 pairs of eyes looking at something is better than just 1!

in the end the consumer can do what they want of course, but PS is a great tool!

togal

Shiny_Rock
I found three EGL graded 2.36ct diamonds with virtually the same specs for more-or-less the same price using the search tool at the top of the page. The prices ranged between $8,618 to $8,758 -- so it seems that the price isn't unreasonably low....or "too good to be true" low. The price is on par with other EGL graded stones with the same specs.

Pictures are very decieving. I know, for myself, it's near impossible to capture the beauty of a stone using a run-of-the-mill digital camera. Particularly when the photos are from quite a distance. I also think it's very difficult to discern inclusions, light leakage, etc. from such photos.

Woo, in the end, it's up to your eyes. It sounds, at least, like you've honed in on a size that suits your fancy. I agree that your setting could use a larger stone in order to give it the "wow" factor. By the way, what did you end up doing with your other bands that you had custom made to go with your new setting (the ones with the baguettes)?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2006 1:07:50 PM
Author: togal
I found three EGL graded 2.36ct diamonds with virtually the same specs for more-or-less the same price using the search tool at the top of the page. The prices ranged between $8,618 to $8,758 -- so it seems that the price isn''t unreasonably low....or ''too good to be true'' low. The price is on par with other EGL graded stones with the same specs.

togal,

i don''t think any of us think the price is low for what it is. But most of us know it is low for a super well cut gorgeous diamond of that size. There is a reason EGL SI3 stones of that size are that price
2.gif
. We just want to make sure woo knows what she is getting so she''s not disappointed down the road. We all know she has been the one to see it and if her eye''s LOVE it, then it doesn''t really matter what any piece of paper says. 8K is a lot of $ to me and the old saying "you get what you pay for'' comes to mind
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results