shape
carat
color
clarity

2.36ct RB back in layaway

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
looks HUGE, and beautiful!!!

perhaos the lighting is just bad in some of the photos....the one where you are holding it up next to your ring looks yummy!!!!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Miss Woo,
I am going to say something and I am not saying it to hurt your feelings, or upset you. That stone just does not do it for me. And I don’t think it would work in your current setting. The semi-mount you have now is so large, chunky and busy that the stone will look smaller and duller then it is. If you really want that stone I think you need to go for a less distracting setting. Otherwise I would hold off, save your money (I am not a fan of debt for luxury items) a wait until you can afford a truly stunning, larger stone.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it were me Woo, I''d pass on this stone. It doesn''t have that WOW factor you have been seeking. I''d save up until you can get the stone of your dreams and one that has an excellent CUT. As mrssalvo says a deal is only a deal if you get what you want. JMHO. I mean this in the nicest way possible. Really
1.gif

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
woo, good comments. I wish the stone photo better
7.gif
It really is a nice looking stone. However, this is why the stone is only in layaway. The price seems great and the stone is actually really pretty in person butttttttttttttttttt I have plenty of time and with my new bands :) I am really happy with the set. I am not a diamond expert so that is why I am posting photos and specs. I need advice. I am up for pure honest opinion on the stone :)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We all know that photographing diamonds can be difficult but for the one clear picture that is head on there seem to be alot of inclusions and darkness. When something seems too good to be true it usually is. $8800 would be an incredible price for a well cut 2.36 stone. It seems to me that if the stone was worth more than that, the jeweler would be asking more than that.

In the end, you and your eyes have to be the judge. No one likes to be a Negative Nellie but I would have some serious reservations about this stone. If size is your number one priority, then maybe you have found the stone. If a beautiful, sparkly well cut stone is your priority, I''d keep looking. I personally would sacrifice size for quality. That''s just me but if you have time and money to do so, I would certainly shop around. You may be constrained by your trade in but these jewelers will certainly get other stones from time to time.

Good luck!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Okay, now here''s something to throw into the mix:

I ran the numbers from the grading report into the HCA, and this is what comes up:

Light Return: Very Good
Fire: Excellent
Scintillation: Very Good
Spread: Excellent

Total Visual Performance: 1.9 - Excellent within FIC range.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
With all due respect to Matadora''s (and irregardless of whether this particular stone is a keeper or not), after seeing the photos with you holding the stone in question above your mounting, I tend to feel that a larger stone will look really good in your current mounting! Clearly, your mounting has a lot going on, which is fine and totally personal preference. I think what has never looked "right" to me about that mounting is that (and here is where I see it opposite of how Matadora viewed it) it seems as though your current stone gets overpowered by your mounting. I think the larger stone (albeit it this one or another) will look so much more proportionate in your mounting.

In all honesty, in the first photo I have to say that I was turned off to the stone. However, in some of the other photos where we could see the stone side-by-side with your ring, I would have to say that it looks a lot better, and had those been the photos we saw first, and not the one you posted first, I think the feedback might be a bit more positive.

Personally, I am not totally opposed to an EGL cert, because I think that you have to go with your eyes. I have an EGL Israel grading report on my large round that states it is H color; I figured that meant it was an I or even a J; yet, I also have a GIA grading report on a step-cut stone that is an H, and the GIA H (in a step-cut which we all know cannot "mask" the tint ) is identical to my EGL Israel H. As for the stone you are considering, in terms of color, as long as it is a good "match" to the stones in your mounting and as long as it does not have too much of a tint for your viewing pleasure, it shouldn''t be a problem. You definitely do NOT want there to be a stark visual different between your center stone color and your accent stone colors! As for clarity, I don''t think the fact that it is graded SI3 is a reason not to get the stone unto itself except for what Mrs. Salvo mentioned in regards to its structural integrity. But, even Superbcert has been known to sell an I1 because it had a great cut (and, based on my previous post, according to the HCA it apparently does!). Some people take issue with having a stone graded SI3 or I1, etc. I can relate to this because when I got my SI2, I was really freaked out. I felt that I really compromised. Since then, I don''t really care -- sure, I''d love something better if offered the opportunity, but I don''t know how much it matters. Again, in reference to that GIA graded step-cut stone I have, it is a VS2 and initially that was really exciting to read that on the paper, but it actually never crosses my mind when I''m wearing it. I guess it all goes back to that "mind clean" thing. But, from getting to "know" you through your many posts on this forum, I don''t think you are overly concerned in that department.

For some reason, this stone keeps calling you back. I can''t imagine it is for price alone, as you seem to allot much for jewelry purchases. So, I am gathering that there is something else about it that appealed to you. Is it just the size -- as in what I was saying in how I was struck by how good a larger stone would look in that setting (IMO)? If that is the case, and it isn''t because you simply thought it was really pretty in person, then start looking for more stones in that size range. However, I do understand how photographing diamonds is not that simple (at least for me it hasn''t been!) and that sometimes the stones "performance" just doesn''t seem to translate well into the photo. If that is the case, and you love this stone, then go for it. Clearly, based on your recent jewelry purchasing history, this is not the last diamond you will own. So, if you like it and the price is right for you, then go for it, enjoy it for however long it satisfies you, then either find a jeweler who will take it in on trade and apply toward the purchase of something you like better, or else put it in a pendant at that point, which would be lovely.

Again, whatever stone you choose, I think that putting a larger stone in that mounting is going to make that ring a knock-out!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2006 6:20:08 PM
Author: woobug02
woo, good comments. I wish the stone photo better
7.gif
It really is a nice looking stone. However, this is why the stone is only in layaway. The price seems great and the stone is actually really pretty in person butttttttttttttttttt I have plenty of time and with my new bands :) I am really happy with the set. I am not a diamond expert so that is why I am posting photos and specs. I need advice. I am up for pure honest opinion on the stone :)
woo
come on....wake up!!! stop dreaming!!!
9.gif
you will not get a nice 2.36ct for $8800.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I''m back. Sorry I can''t get all my thoughts in one post -- my 12-year-old keeps asking me for stuff and I am getting distracted!

Two more things:
1. Randomness of the facets: Clearly this is not an H & A type stone. However, that isn''t necessarily good nor bad. I have to admit that I am sort of drawn to stones that are not H & A because the randomness is appealing to me. I like how it gives each stone its own personality. When I first starting seeing H & A stones up close here on this forum (which is the first I had ever heard of them!), I was uncertain as to how I felt about them. It first struck me as being very "cookie-cutter". Keep in mind, that when I got engaged as well as of an age where I started receving diamond jewelry (studs, pendants, etc.), there were no H & A stones. However, now that I have had more exposure to them on this site they have certainly grown on me and I definitely wouldn''t be opposed to owning one. But, with that said, I think that for the ladies here who have had the luxury of being able to choose amongst H & A stones, I would imagine that stones without H & A look very "chaotic"!

2. HCA score: Again, all this HCA stuff was not around when I got sucked in by the diamond bug. Thus, it just seems foreign to me to buy a stone based on a set of numbers versus not by just looking and saying, "oh, that stone is so pretty" or "no, that stone doesn''t strike a cord with me", etc. So, I''ve been struggling along trying to "get with the program" here and learn about all this numbers and angles stuff! What I don''t understand is how everyone can look at the photo and say it is a dud, yet the numbers tell a different story? This is where I get really confused. You can''t imagine the relief I felt to learn last year that GIA was going to have actual cut grades on their reports -- I figured that it was definitely the way to go for me in my next upgrade because clearly I''m a diamond cut illiterate! (But then I heard that there was controversy over the GIA cut grades, so what''s a girl to do?!). But, any light that can be shed on this would be helpful to me as well as to Woo, I''m sure!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
woo sorry those pictures just are not doing it for me. i know you say that the pictures don't show how pretty it is but i see a few dark spots that are dark in EVERY picture at EVERY angle...and that is not supposed to be happening. i wouldn't be surprised if under an IS that thing was a mess with lots of leakage.

again having had a crappily cut stone for a while and realizing it was not what i wanted even though it looked bigger totally showed me that people should wait for something that is REALLY what they want in terms of beauty, not just what they want RIGHT NOW because it looks big. i feel like you are just getting seduced by the size without really stopping to be patient and look around a bit more or see what else your jeweler can get in. sorry but this is why i don't work with a B&M. they have two stones and it's like oh this one or that one. i prefer way more selection and to know more.

and i have to agree that the price is really low, i tend to believe you get what you pay for and honestly $8800 for a 2.36 is really low, what is driving that price down? the egl cert for one and probably the cut for the second. i am paying WAY more than that for my upgrade but i know it's a primo stone so it's worth it.

headlight, also i would not conder the specs that woo posted for this stone as ideal to me at all or even close. then again a 59/60 stone is totally not my cup of tea. it doesn't have to be H&A but i really need some semblance of symmetry going on for visual beauty. i don't like mish-mash.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2006 8:11:01 PM
Author: headlight
With all due respect to Matadora''s (and irregardless of whether this particular stone is a keeper or not), after seeing the photos with you holding the stone in question above your mounting, I tend to feel that a larger stone will look really good in your current mounting! Clearly, your mounting has a lot going on, which is fine and totally personal preference. I think what has never looked ''right'' to me about that mounting is that (and here is where I see it opposite of how Matadora viewed it) it seems as though your current stone gets overpowered by your mounting. I think the larger stone (albeit it this one or another) will look so much more proportionate in your mounting.

In all honesty, in the first photo I have to say that I was turned off to the stone. However, in some of the other photos where we could see the stone side-by-side with your ring, I would have to say that it looks a lot better, and had those been the photos we saw first, and not the one you posted first, I think the feedback might be a bit more positive.

Personally, I am not totally opposed to an EGL cert, because I think that you have to go with your eyes. I have an EGL Israel grading report on my large round that states it is H color; I figured that meant it was an I or even a J; yet, I also have a GIA grading report on a step-cut stone that is an H, and the GIA H (in a step-cut which we all know cannot ''mask'' the tint ) is identical to my EGL Israel H. As for the stone you are considering, in terms of color, as long as it is a good ''match'' to the stones in your mounting and as long as it does not have too much of a tint for your viewing pleasure, it shouldn''t be a problem. You definitely do NOT want there to be a stark visual different between your center stone color and your accent stone colors! As for clarity, I don''t think the fact that it is graded SI3 is a reason not to get the stone unto itself except for what Mrs. Salvo mentioned in regards to its structural integrity. But, even Superbcert has been known to sell an I1 because it had a great cut (and, based on my previous post, according to the HCA it apparently does!). Some people take issue with having a stone graded SI3 or I1, etc. I can relate to this because when I got my SI2, I was really freaked out. I felt that I really compromised. Since then, I don''t really care -- sure, I''d love something better if offered the opportunity, but I don''t know how much it matters. Again, in reference to that GIA graded step-cut stone I have, it is a VS2 and initially that was really exciting to read that on the paper, but it actually never crosses my mind when I''m wearing it. I guess it all goes back to that ''mind clean'' thing. But, from getting to ''know'' you through your many posts on this forum, I don''t think you are overly concerned in that department.

For some reason, this stone keeps calling you back. I can''t imagine it is for price alone, as you seem to allot much for jewelry purchases. So, I am gathering that there is something else about it that appealed to you. Is it just the size -- as in what I was saying in how I was struck by how good a larger stone would look in that setting (IMO)? If that is the case, and it isn''t because you simply thought it was really pretty in person, then start looking for more stones in that size range. However, I do understand how photographing diamonds is not that simple (at least for me it hasn''t been!) and that sometimes the stones ''performance'' just doesn''t seem to translate well into the photo. If that is the case, and you love this stone, then go for it. Clearly, based on your recent jewelry purchasing history, this is not the last diamond you will own. So, if you like it and the price is right for you, then go for it, enjoy it for however long it satisfies you, then either find a jeweler who will take it in on trade and apply toward the purchase of something you like better, or else put it in a pendant at that point, which would be lovely.

Again, whatever stone you choose, I think that putting a larger stone in that mounting is going to make that ring a knock-out!
Actually Headlight, What I said was that given the poor nature of this cut, the stone will look smaller then it is. Which would not work with the current setting, I think that the setting will need a much larger and well cut stone then the one being shown in these photos.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh and in regards to SI2/SI3/I1...my issue is that EGL is notoriously loose with their grading, esp overseas AND most of their SI3's are going to be I1's on a good day with a more reputable lab. that said, if the inclusions are fine, then fabulous, i would buy an I1 from a reputable lab if the inclusions were minimal or able to be hidden. i think that my issue is that i just don't trust EGL...sorry but any lab that makes up their own clarity grade just so their stuff looks better than it is is just plain shady. i agree that some EGL stones could be a great deal, but they are needle in a haystack and i don't think this one is any kind of deal at all to be blunt.

though i will say that if this stone had stellar numbers and the inclusions were minimal, i could get past the EGL thing IF an independent appraiser checked out the stone and said it was what it was REALLY graded. aka J SI3 or an eyeclean I1. but the cut quality and the SI3/I1 clarity and the dark spots, and then the EGL thing....this stone just not a winner for me on any day.

sorry woo im sure it's not what you want to hear but TRUST ME. if you get this stone, in a month you will be starting another new post on here crying about how the stone doesn't perform and you want something else. i'm trying to save us all a little trauma here.
5.gif
31.gif

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2006 8:33:19 PM
Author: Matatora

Actually Headlight, What I said was that given the poor nature of this cut, the stone will look smaller then it is. Which would not work with the current setting, I think that the setting will need a much larger and well cut stone then the one being shown in these photos.
Oh, Matadora, I apologize for misunderstanding you.
Actually, then, I am in agreement with you in regards to such a "substantial" mounting requiring a larger stone.
I guess for Woo, upon comparing her current stone to this stone, the new one seemed to please her for some reason.
How do the measurements given for this stone compare to the measurements of a well-cut stone in this carat weight?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2006 8:23:06 PM
Author: headlight
2. HCA score: Again, all this HCA stuff was not around when I got sucked in by the diamond bug. Thus, it just seems foreign to me to buy a stone based on a set of numbers versus not by just looking and saying, ''oh, that stone is so pretty'' or ''no, that stone doesn''t strike a cord with me'', etc. So, I''ve been struggling along trying to ''get with the program'' here and learn about all this numbers and angles stuff! What I don''t understand is how everyone can look at the photo and say it is a dud, yet the numbers tell a different story? This is where I get really confused. You can''t imagine the relief I felt to learn last year that GIA was going to have actual cut grades on their reports -- I figured that it was definitely the way to go for me in my next upgrade because clearly I''m a diamond cut illiterate! (But then I heard that there was controversy over the GIA cut grades, so what''s a girl to do?!). But, any light that can be shed on this would be helpful to me as well as to Woo, I''m sure!
no need to look at this stone. the price already tells me alot about the stone.
2.gif
no vendor on earth will give away a nice 2.36 ct for $8800.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, it''s a Woobugs perogative to change her mind.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha headlight, if i had a 1c stone and someone put a 2.36c next to mine, even if it wasn't cut well, it would sure please me to look at the size!!!! mmmm size!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Woo, if you really love the stone and it speaks to you, then I would think it's worth the $ to have it checked out by Rich or whomever so you know exactly what you are getting. Also, is this the stone you are going to keep forever? if not, does the jeweler have an upgrade policy that will give you back what you paid in the upgrade? Otherwise, you should also think about the resale abilty of this stone? I think you'd have a hard time selling it on your own or even getting a jeweler to take it on a trade. Whiteflash for example sells EGL stones but will not take them back in their upgrade policy. EGL just carries that reputation. Just something to consider as well. I agree that the price is suspiously low which is why all of our red flag are up and we're waving
2.gif
. You may truly have found that needle in the haystack but have it verfied by someone independant that can give you an honest report and verify the EGL cert. I plan on having Rich do an appraisal on my new stone which will have an AGS cert and be purchased from a reputable vender. I just like knowing exactly what I'm paying for.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2006 10:03:46 PM
Author: Mara
haha headlight, if i had a 1c stone and someone put a 2.36c next to mine, even if it wasn''t cut well, it would sure please me to look at the size!!!! mmmm size!!
Mara,
Even "size whores" like us have some standards
11.gif

Seriously, we all have seen large boulders that were bigger than our own stones but despite their size we wouldn''t trade what we had -- it would be compromising too much in the name of size.

Yet, there is certainly a "gray area", if you will, where there might be room for consideration. Case in point: My own ring! To go from a 1.51 to a 3.29, I went down in color and clarity from my former stone (I have not idea as to cut comparison because I no longer have the info on my former stone). But, it wasn''t merely the size jump that grabbed me -- there was something about the stone that said, "I''m the right one for you at this juncture in time, given the set of parameters you have to work with!". This stone definitely has a different personality than my former; my former had more of a "steely" appearance and, as I recall, looked better in crappy lighting than the current stone, but the current has waaaaaaay better quality and quantity of color flashes so go figure. I also brought along my husband''s step-mom (the owner of the 5 ct. GIA D color Lucida-esque stone) who is extremely particular and extremely color sensitive to help me from making a bad decision. So, that might be something for Woo to consider -- bring a trusted friend (who has no jealousy issues -- in my case, what would she be jealous about my getting a 3.29 ct when she has a 5.01 ct!!!) to give an objective viewpoint.

When someone makes an upgrade, I think it is often overlooked that the potential upgrade stone is, in reality, not merely being considered solely based on its own merits, but also relative to the person''s current stone. So, while we often think of upgrading to be moving into something larger, it is realistic to consider that an upgrade could be a one carat to another one carat, this time of finer make, etc.

But, back to the size whores... I USED TO have a D color 1.01 stone. I sometimes would wonder if I''d be happier with that stone or my current one and, well, I think you know the answer to that
2.gif

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I went to my daughters play and came home and was surprised by all the feedback. Headlight you have been just great!!! Thank you for all of your feedback. Matadora thank you for clearing up the issue with my mounting. I too thought you meant you didn''t like it. It definately isn''t for everyone but it is the setting I LOVE and I think it will look GREAT with the perfect big stone. :)

Ok, here is the deal on this stone. I went to the price comp on pricescope and almost the IDENTICAL Diamond is forsale for between $8600-$10000 depending on vendor. I called and only one vendor has the cert... MANY MANY FLAWS
7.gif
but they do show on the certs. ..... So my jeweler is not giving it away. Next the stone looks HORRIBLE in the photos but looks nothing like that in person. There is only one visable flaw and it is on the side of the stone and will be easily hid by a prong. I looked at the stone under a loop many many many times. The flaw is visable with the naked eye and the stone is loose so I can see everything. There is only that one visable flaw.. Now whether it will bother me or not I don''t know
7.gif
I really feel it will be hid. The next thing is the stone is a sparkler it has lots of fire but I am not a professional diamond grader I will just say that I went to some really highend jewelers in my area and they were trying to sell me no certified stones (2.58 and 2.00) for between $12999 and $16999. The 3.0 ct EGL cert. one in there case was I/SI2 for $27,500... OH MY GAUD!!! Most stones I saw were IGI (is that the right acronim)?? Yes this is an almost to good to be true situation and that is why I am posting it all right up there for review. This jeweler is very very small. He has little overhead and does repairs on the spot. He mainly deals in stones 1ct or less. I bought my GIA 1.10 ct. I/SI1 from him for $3200.00 good deal. He also gives you 100% of your purchase price towards upgrades.

I took pictures of it upside down and it is clear as a bell all but that one flaw on the side. Structural wise it looks good but I am not a professional. I have ask him to send it out for an appraisal. I am trying to get a Sarin just because I think it is worth it to test it out.

Ok as for the pictures, have you all heard about poor Kittycats setting catastrophe??? Well look at her post and look at the photos of her new setting. The first photos make her RB1.98 E/VS1 look dark and terrible. The stone doesn''t even look like a diamond. Then look at it outside. I think it is my camera. It makes my current stone look terrible too and my stone is FAB!!!!

With all of that said. I am not ready to go one way or the other on this stone. I am going to send it out for appraisal and see what happens. I may even ask him to send it to GIA. Even if I bought it I have 30 days to return it. I love online shopping but people like Whiteflash do not have layaway. I know just save right?? Well I do better when I have something to touch and feel then I stay focused.

I think it could be a great buy and suit me just fine, but but but I am willing to let it go if it comes back not what I thought :) P.S. I also may have him set the stone so I can see if that flaw really does hide or if it will be eye visable.

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
woo i was just going to say, send it to a reputable appraiser and see what they say...if it comes back good and it speaks to you then go for it, but i''d also keep looking around just to make sure this is the one. you have the time since it''s on layaway, just do not get seduced by the size and compromise too much! i just really do not like that weird black dull spot in the stone, it''s in every picture no matter what angle.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Headlight you are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo right.... I have a 1.75ct marquise we bought when I knew nothing about diamonds (not that I know much now) but it is a looker and a nice bright white stone but it has a really flawed end. Didn''t see it in the store just saw size
7.gif
Long story short... I "upgraded"...heheheheh... recently to the 1.10ct I/SI1 RB. I love love love looking at this stone. It is beautiful. No visable flaws, nice and white, slight flor. just perfect but a little small for my setting. Bought the setting for the 1.75 marquise... So Hubby said YES to anniversary upgrade and I have been looking. What do look for now after the marquise issue. Is it eye clean??? Is it nice and white but does it have fire and sparkle (marquise didn''t). Finally, can I turn it over and see flaws?? Marquise tips drove me nuts (cloudy). This new RB stone I am looking at is a positive in every area as long as that one visable flaw can be hid. I have to say, I didn''t even see the flaw with my eye until after I looked at it under a loop....now that I know about it I am focused on it :) For some reason, this stone just keeps saying Ronda Ronda Ronda....wooooo I am still here. I think there have to be some good EGL stones out there or EGL would be gone.... Anyway, I agree that sometimes we have to give up to get but not always..

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
woo, IGI has a horrible reputation..way worse the EGL..I really wish you could see some super ideal GIA or AGS stones. As for kitty''s pics. yes, I noticed it too and thought the same thing which is why we''re trying to get the specs from her
2.gif

Glad the jeweler has a trade up, at least he''d take it back if you buy it and change you''re mind. I''m glad you''re going to have it checked it out. I really hope it all works out for you because it sounds like you really love the stone. please keep us posted.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
thanks mara, i do really value your opinion.... Where is the dull spot???? Please tell me so I can look for it.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
mrssalvo, I love your puppy I have black lab named Roxie... She is my baby :) Yes, I was worried went I saw kittycats too then the next set came and I was relieved. I am going to see if he will send it out to one of the PS appraisers wooooo! I really wish it photoed better but maybe it just doesn''t perform..
7.gif
WE SOON SEE! How long does an appraisal and sarin take??

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
I had no idea about IGI...didn''t know what it was but every jeweler around here has it. Little old Troy and Dayton ohio just don''t do diamonds well. You hardly ever ever see a center over 1.0ct...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2006 11:13:32 PM
How long does an appraisal and sarin take??

Well, the longest part of my appraisal process was the slow 9 days shipping USPS to get it to Rich. After that I think he had it done in just a few days and then fed ex''d it back to me. Sending it to GIA will take a lot longer but might be a good idea if you decide to keep it. Maybe the jeweler would even agree to split the cost of the GIA cert?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2006 11:15:50 PM
I had no idea about IGI...didn't know what it was but every jeweler around here has it. Little old Troy and Dayton ohio just don't do diamonds well. You hardly ever ever see a center over 1.0ct...

Hey, you're up in my old stomping ground. I grew up in cincinnai and have family in Piqua, even lived in Troy for a short time. I have no idea about jewelers up your way, but for such a big purchase you might think about taking a trip down to cincinnati and try and see some super cut stones.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
woooo, thanks! If it appraises ok I may do the GIA for me :) WOOOO

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would have it sent to Richard Sherwood as mrssalvo suggested. He will give you the skinny on this stone. Then you will really know what you are dealing with. I trust him 100%. Plus he is a great guy.
1.gif

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Woo,
That is a great idea to see it actually set in your ring, but I believe your jeweler will have to put on a larger head to accommodate the potential new stone. Maybe he has a setting that doesn''t have a stone in it that he can place this diamond on top of to give you an idea???

I do see the "dark area" that Mara is talking about. But, you yourself said that you can''t even see it, so who cares then, right? You are the one wearing it! And I don''t think others will really see it, either. (Not that you are buying a diamond to please others!) But, keep in mind that we are all totally scrutinizing each and every photo that is a million times larger than the diamond is in real life. Also, with your setting being so elaborate, people are just going to see a big flash of "bling", and not be able to visually focus in on any particular "imperfection" in the center stone. I think the point here is that you asked for input, and everyone sees something in their own way and has their own history of experience to share, so we all have a lot of great stuff to bring to the table to help others out. We all know how you can take a perfectly bright, educated, rationale and practical woman and put a potential diamond purchase in front of her and suddenly all those attributes can so easily go through the window! We get so caught up in the moment and the fantasy and the romance of it all. That is why it is so great for gals like us who love to shop for diamonds to be able to come here and have people chime in with their voices of reason and set us back on track, or at least give us a "checklist" of things to consider and then if we are still "okay" with it and love the stone, you go for it!!!

Also, please don''t apologize for your mounting. There is nothing wrong with it. Obviously, it differs from some of the very popular looks we often see here, like the micro-pave'' look, the three-stone look, and the Tacori-esque look, but there is nothing wrong with it. Actually, it takes me back to when I got engaged, because the popular look then was similar to your style, only then we all had it in yellow gold. No one here should feel that they need to apologize for their setting -- every girl should have what makes her heart sing every time she looks down at her finger, and this mounting clearly does that for you so you are one of the lucky ones. So many of us are still trying to figure out what "does it" for us!!!

As for getting an appraisal, that is up to you. However, I don''t see a need to get a GIA report. Bottom line is that if it were "worthy" of a GIA report, the stone would not have been sent to EGL because a stone with a GIA report commands more money than a stone with an EGL report, so if the vendor can generate more money for a stone, they will. I can understand this philosophy and I believe, just as is the case with SI2 stones, EGL graded stones can be a good value for the right buyer. I get compliements (unsolicited) on my ring/diamond all the time -- sure, a lot of people may have no taste, but they can''t all be wrong!!! But, that doesn''t mean that you cannot get out of a stone what you want via an EGL stone. I may be wrong, but I get the impression that you are desiring an "overall" nice look for your ring (size, sparkle, fire, pricepoint), as opposed to really desiring the uppermost tier in make. If so, then go with your eyes and forget the rest. Since you already did a comparison to see what other EGL stones of that criteria are going for, and yours is in the ballpark, then you know you are paying a competitive price for what you are getting.

Ultimately, I think it has to be about the eyes, but I know I am in the minority here. That is why GIA concluded from their vast cut quality study that different diamond appearances appealed to different people, and that there are many ways to cut a nice stone. Again, not a viewpoint shared by everyone. When I look at someone like Mara who has the unbelievable patience to wade through all the numbers and make sense of it all, I am truly amazed and have the utmost respect for her knowledge. She is extremely detail-minded and focused -- I wish I could be that way in this department, but it just gets to be sensory overload to me and I lose it!

Also, as I said earlier, I know this will not be your last diamond (nor is it your first-- ha, ha!!!), and your jeweler will give you 100% price paid toward trade-in, so you really have nothing to lose. It is sort of a diamond "leasing" program, the way I look at it. You "lease" the new stone now which is larger than your current, "drive" it for a few years, and then when you are ready to move up to the "bigger engine" you turn in your stone and lease another!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results