shape
carat
color
clarity

2.36ct RB back in layaway

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
wooo to all
35.gif
Have looking around and much decisions I put the 2.36ct RB back in layaway. Anniversary is July 7th.. Hoping hubby lets me get it out sooner. We are going to New York City for a week in June would love to have that sucker on
30.gif

I went to several jewelers and looked at stones. This stone comes from a small local jeweler, not the high cost fancy one that just about wore me out with my side bands...hehehe. He is just a small local guy that gets one big stone here or there. Normally only deals in 1.0ct or smaller. He called me a while back and said he had the stone. I went and looked at it, loved it and waited on the certificate. When the cert. came it was a EGL stone rated at SI3.... I was bummed. The stone was a BEAUTY but the rating made me worry. So I took it off layaway and he put it out. After looking and looking I just kept thinking about that stone. The jeweler was giving me a fair price and trade and the stone is really really nice and clean except one small feather on the side that can be hid with a prong!! I have seen SI1 and SI2 with more flaws than this stone. So I went back in today and talked to the jeweler. He marked the stone down to $8800.00. I just don''t think I can pass it up. I have seen it and it is GOURGEOUS!!!

The picture is really poor. I will try and take better ones. The stone is really white....

Here are the specs. Please tell me if I am missing something bad.

Please tell me if this is a bad deal! I feel comfortable with the visuals and brillance of the stone but need to know if I

MVC-y01X.JPG

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Woo..we''ll I''m all for a good deal, but I''d want to be sure you are getting a good deal and not getting what you pay for..if you know what I mean. It could just be the picture, but the stone looks dark to me. Is there anyway you can have them run a sarin to get all the numbers so we can run it through the HCA? that''s the only way we''re really going to be able to "help." That said, you saw it and you eyes are the ones that matter. If you love it and are comfortable with the cert. go for it. EGL certs are known to be a little more loose in their grading so your SI3 (which) is an I1 could be even lower. I''d also suggest having an independant appraiser look at it just to make sure it''s stuctually safe and is going to no crack in half or something freaky with a good wack. If it''s sent to one of the appraisers here, Richard Sherwood, RocDoc, Denver..they can run a sarin for you and provide all the angle''s. It would be worth it too me before spending 8K on the stone
1.gif

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
trying to post the certificate but it is to large. still trying...
7.gif

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
You and Mara think alike :) She said the same thing. The stone is really bright. I don''t know why it photoed so dark. I am having it sent out for an appraisal but am having a hard time with a sarin. I am still trying to find someone around here.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know about pictures not capturing stones and everything, but the stone seems a little dull? Lacking in brilliance? Seems not to have that firecrackery thing going on. Could be the picture, but without more information it''s impossible for us to tell. It wouldn''t hurt to get it to an appraiser who could get a sarin done...better to be safe than regret spending almost 9k later!!

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
This scanned really fuzzy... It says Color J and Graining Nil and Flourescence None... I put this stone in layaway just to make sure I am getting a good deal. i am not going to rush :)

2 Diamond Certificate 4-5-2006.jpg

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
He took the pictures inside on an facing a piece of paper. Please let me the best place to take a picture of a diamond so I can go by there tonight and do it.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2006 4:02:54 PM
Author: woobug02
You and Mara think alike :) She said the same thing.

Well you''ve been around her long enough to know how much importance we all put on cut. without that info it''s really hard to predict how the stones going to perform. EGL certs make me nervous because they are off so much of the time. I honestly would only buy and GIA or AGS stone, and really only want an AGS for my upgrade. I know how anxious you are for a bigger stone..goodness, I''m going on 7-8 months with no diamond at all
39.gif
but I''d hate for you to settle for something less than specatacular just for the "deal." If you have no one local to take it too, see if the jeweler would be willing to ship it to a PS appraiser. That is the only way I''d buy it, if it comes back with a 2 thumbs up from one of them. I''m having to wait a lot longer than I ever thought I would for my new stone, but with "life" happening the timing has not been right for the purchase and I''m just not willing to settle for just anything. But again, you have seen it and if it meets the criteria of your eye''s you very well may have found the one
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2006 4:04:45 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I know about pictures not capturing stones and everything, but the stone seems a little dull? Lacking in brilliance? Seems not to have that firecrackery thing going on. Could be the picture, but without more information it's impossible for us to tell. It wouldn't hurt to get it to an appraiser who could get a sarin done...better to be safe than regret spending almost 9k later!!
That's what I was thinking too WOO. I would definitely get a sarin, or send it to one of the many great PS appraisers. The other thing I was thinking is why not shop online?? That way you'll get a stone with a great cut and all the info you need to make an informed decision. Plus many of them have upgrade policies as well??? Just a thought, good luck
1.gif

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
WOOOO Thank you so much! You are right it is better to wait if this isn''t the one. I have a really pretty 1.10 ct I/SI1 GIA cert :) wooo. I just don''t want to missout if and only if it is a good deal.... So I should just ask him to have it sent out for a Sarin and appraisal? I assume I would be the one to pay for that? I know nothing about EGL except that is all they carry around here. They act like GIA is nonavailable....

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
When I stop buy there Should I take the pictures outside????? Do you want to see top and bottom

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
EGL USA can be just fine woo and I wouldn''t kick one out of bed, so to speak, if I knew what I was getting (ie. independent appraisal). They are very good on clarity (but remember SI3 can be the same as GIA I1) and from time to time can be off a grade on color. But I wouldn''t dismiss one just because it was EGL USA...I''d dismiss it if it was way off on grading or not a well cut stone.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
gosh woo i just don''t like that picture at all. it looks dark and the symmetry looks a little hodgepodge.

i would look at it in lots of lighting situations, make sure it really speaks to you. jewelers lighting is not the best to judge a stone because that''s not how you wear the stone.

i have seen stuff look great in the shop and then outside it just doesn''t work. honestly, having had an okay cut stone in the past and now having an ideal, i would never go back, not even for size.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2006 4:21:36 PM
Author: woobug02
When I stop buy there Should I take the pictures outside????? Do you want to see top and bottom

sure. try to take pics in as many different environments as he'll let you.

also, you might want to do a search here on EGL for some other feedback. I do know EGL USA is supposed to be better than EGL Israel..

heck, my first stone didn't even have a cert..It was an OEC, but now that I have found PS I have learned so much and will not make the same mistakes as uneducated buyers. You have seen the light, don't stray from it
2.gif

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
wooo, on my way to take some pictures :) My camera isn''t the best but his doesn''t evene look like the same stone....terrible ;-)

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Definitely insist on an appraisal and sarin report. I wouldn''t buy an EGL stone without them.

Good luck with the pics!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Woo, I''m getting the feeling that the stores around you don''t have much selection (EGL only???
27.gif
) I''m with Mara & Kaliegh & Mssalvo. It looks dark and chaotic in that pix. That stone might, might look awesome in person ... but maybe it only looks good to you because you haven''t seen "ideal" much less "Super Ideal" cuts in person. Now, yr. not gonna get a Super Ideal 2ct for $8800 ... but you could get an unbelievable stone that would outshine anything else in your area.

Maybe you should wait for your NY trip & check out some Super Ideals at a trusted Pricescope vendor.. (Good Old Gold? Mark T.?) If you don''t want to wait to see in person, you could have a stone from a different online vendor sent to an appraiser near you -- where you can get it checked out and see it for yourself before finalizing a purchase.

I''d hate to see you regret anything later - or want to switch again soon. Your hubby would pass right out!
2.gif

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
There is nowhere on that report that says it''s EGL USA. It looks just like the EGL Israel report I got with an older stone. The D SI2 stone ended up being a GIA F I2. Be careful!!

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
lots of pictures coming

q01X.JPG

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
woo

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
woo

q3S.JPG

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
:)

q04S.JPG

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
woo

q05S.JPG

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
woo

q5S.JPG

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
woo

q11S.JPG

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
woo

q043S.JPG

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
woo

q-0S.JPG

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Thoughts.....

qC-0414S.JPG

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
woooo

q-001S.JPG

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Oh well the pictures just dont show the stone. It is a beauty!!! I mut work on this tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results