shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW 2.05 CBI from HPD

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Hi, so I ended up with a beautiful 2.05 carat Crafted by Infinity diamond from HPD, and many thanks to @LaylaR (who patiently answered my many questions) @Wink @Winks_Elf, Jamie and team HPD and also the wonderful people from Morrison Smith in Charlotte especially the lovely Samantha for making it happen.

After waffling between getting a 5 stone or a solitaire or a pear, wondering if I should go down to SI2 clarity to get the size/cut I wanted and triple guessing if a G will bother me, I’m happy to say that:
- the CBI 2.05 G SI2 diamond is a beauty. It’s sparkly and fiery and as far as I can tell in the short time I’ve had it that it performs wonderfully in all lighting conditions. :kiss2:
- I seem to catch a tint of warmth in the G... so far it doesn’t really bother me but I suspect that if I compare against a D or E the tint will immediately be obvious (and maybe taint the diamond from a mind clean perspective) which is why I didn’t ask to compare against a higher color when I did a color test of CBI diamonds. I did look at H and I CBI diamonds and the color was obvious face up to me. Like shockingly yellow even though it’s not supposed to be that way for most people as I read from PS? So sadly going down in color when DSS sets in is not an option. :(2
- the diamond is eye clean so I don’t see anything with my naked eye (and anyway I get so distracted by how sparkly it is). BUT... I do pick up the inclusions in some pics and it does bother me in a non-mind clean sort of way.
Ok so just my opinion from a fairly color sensitive, and incidentally Asian perspective in case it is helpful to anyone. Prior to this I’ve only ever gotten F and VS GIA graded diamonds as I did a color test many years ago and could distinguish between an E and F with some difficulty.

Oh and because there wasn’t enough time to custom a setting, @LaylaR kindly found a Stuller setting which had the floral halo that I’d wanted and then pulled off a miracle with the HPD team to rush the setting, put in approx 0.2 ctw H&A melees (22 x 0.005ct each 1mm and 18 x 0.0025ct each 0.8mm), and set the diamond in an offset way (for the arrows) and delivered it to Morrison Smith before I flew off. It’s in 18k wg with palladium.

And on to the pics!

6A4E4FC2-A057-464E-B756-ACC172B3E3E1.jpeg
CEB9452D-EF2A-4C19-ACAD-D4D846D89F8E.jpeg
DBF9881C-E061-4D60-B7BA-A69ED8BE9849.jpeg
735674FB-A97C-4A2E-88C5-E30BC86EF277.jpeg

@Miki Moto @Madsal @Burmesedaze @mellowyellowgirl

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
A few more pics...

The ring sits really low so really comfy to wear..
11286504-4351-4785-AF58-E75B56274EF6.jpeg

Some shots where I see inclusions when I zoom in on the diamond...
379103CB-53F4-45DF-A777-8C8BB0042547.jpeg
5CB2D25E-CB36-4D92-8C93-3047CFF60A50.jpeg

And I was frankly quite shocked when I quite easily captured rays from the diamond when I was playing with it that evening after I’d collected it. It looks unreal like it’s photoshopped?

3C2F41F6-41D7-4523-BFE2-80861E7AF534.jpeg
CF2CB0B7-AC0C-4AD8-9818-27B2D259FF80.jpeg

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, looks gorgeous. Side profile shot, I can’t see any colour at all!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Thank you @KristyDarling @Matthews1127

The stone and your ring is truly lovely! Do you think you'll be able to overcome the mind clean issues?

Do you live in the Charlotte area? I'm from there and miss it every day. :cry2:

I hope I will! I mean most of the time I look at it it’s just a really gorgeous ring you know? It’s just certain angles or when I zoom in on the pics and then I’m like... hmm...

I was in Charlotte for business meeting. It seems like a lovely place to stay. And there’s a lovely store that sells CBI diamonds just 5 min from the city centre. That’s a definite plus in my book.:lol:

cottoncandy

Rough_Rock
Wow, what a gorgeous stone in such a pretty setting. It looks wonderful on your hand.

Thanks for your detailed breakdown about the CBI stone. I’m in a similar place where I’m comparing CBI stones between a bigger E SI1 with twinning wisps and a smaller G VS1 that looks definitely eye clean. I’m color sensitive too and struggle with mind clean, but size is important too, so it’s hard for me to make a decision. There is a stone in between ct sizes that’s F VS2 but it has an inclusion near the center of the table that would drive me crazy.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Wow, looks gorgeous. Side profile shot, I can’t see any colour at all!

Thank you!

I purposely chose a busy setting so that the side profile isn’t so exposed just in case the tint from the side kills me. To be honest I really hardly see any tint from the side.

Wow, what a gorgeous stone in such a pretty setting. It looks wonderful on your hand.

Thanks for your detailed breakdown about the CBI stone. I’m in a similar place where I’m comparing CBI stones between a bigger E SI1 with twinning wisps and a smaller G VS1 that looks definitely eye clean. I’m color sensitive too and struggle with mind clean, but size is important too, so it’s hard for me to make a decision. There is a stone in between ct sizes that’s F VS2 but it has an inclusion near the center of the table that would drive me crazy.

Thank you!

I have to add... I am a huge size 8! In case anyone is wondering why a 2 ct looks kinda small... man hand problems...

Good luck with your selection. I know it’s not easy... did you manage to get any pics to help you decide? My diamond has twinning wisps too and honestly it isn’t so bad compared to a grade setting crystal or feather as those can be so easy to spot... but VS should be eye clean right? FWIW I spent a fair bit of time staring at the 360 video of my diamond on the AGS lab site before deciding that the twinning wisps aren’t so bad.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh, I really like that setting and of course the stone is drop dead gorgeous. I have a CBI G SI2 and don’t regret that at all.

Congrats on your ring!!

justpeachy

Shiny_Rock
it turned out beautifully, i love that setting!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That diamond is spectacular:love:! I’ve been eyeing one of the smaller carat diamonds on their site... I’m become a little obsessed with getting a HPD :kiss2:

cottoncandy

Rough_Rock
The AGS 360 videos were super helpful for me, but unfortunately the one with twinning wisps has an older-looking lower resolution video. Your photos are actually helping me... your diamond is just to die for :love:

Thank you!
Good luck with your selection. I know it’s not easy... did you manage to get any pics to help you decide? My diamond has twinning wisps too and honestly it isn’t so bad compared to a grade setting crystal or feather as those can be so easy to spot... but VS should be eye clean right? FWIW I spent a fair bit of time staring at the 360 video of my diamond on the AGS lab site before deciding that the twinning wisps aren’t so bad.

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful pick @icy_jade CBI is certainly an amazing choice....wear her in good health.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks beautiful on you - I hope you enjoy it and that the color/clarity don't bother you. It looks very pretty in the setting and on your hand!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone and ring are very beautiful. :appl::appl::appl:Congratulations on such a gorgeous ring. I too hope that the inclusion and color became more acceptable in time. And there is always the upgrade option. :twisted2:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GORGEOUS! PERFECT! :love::love::love:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for all your lovely comments and apologies for not getting to everyone individually.

I think it’s lovely :kiss2: Incredible size and looks great on your hand!

Thank you! You know being on PS has spoiled me! Plus all the ladies with their dainty size 4-5 fingers... how can I look at the biggest diamond I’ve ever owned and think “hey I can go bigger” right??? o_O

That diamond is spectacular:love:! I’ve been eyeing one of the smaller carat diamonds on their site... I’m become a little obsessed with getting a HPD :kiss2:

I know the feeling!! Totally felt that way and obsessively read all the threads before pulling the trigger.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring, Congrats! :clap:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, really beautiful! Stone AND setting. :appl:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
The stone and ring are very beautiful. :appl::appl::appl:Congratulations on such a gorgeous ring. I too hope that the inclusion and color became more acceptable in time. And there is always the upgrade option. :twisted2:

Yes! Though it does become really hard if I can’t down down in color... or maybe I can go the 5 stone way and do a wall of bling.

Am enjoying the stone for now. It is so pretty and sparkly...

scoutfinch

Shiny_Rock
Its such a lovely diamond and the setting is perfect for it! Its so pretty on your hand.. Congratulations!!:appl:

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its so pretty on your hand!! Nice butter cup setting!! :love:Congrats!!

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
It’s absolutely beautiful!!!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring and beautiful photography!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results