shape
carat
color
clarity

2.02 I VS1 AVR - Custom Cut

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for posting your inspiration stone and sharing your experience, dazzlerazzle! I think it's really helpful and interesting to see what the limitations are when going through the custom cutting process. Somehow I was thinking GOG/the cutters would have been able to generate a computer model of the expected outcome. I am really glad that you are very happy with your stone!
The lack of a culet is surprising though since it's one of the hallmarks of an OEC, and you actually wanted a large one. Did you ask Jon about it?

I know I wished there were more posts detailing people's experience with the custom cutting process back when we were trying to decide if this was the right path- so I tried to post what I would have wanted to read about back then!

On the one hand, I had wondered if the lack of culet was an attempt to not let the stone drop below 2 ct, since my contract was for 2 minimum. But on the other hand, the larger H that came in with my stone had many more points to spare and also was left without a culet. So it could have been just an aesthetic decision on the cutters' parts. I know Jon is cutting the Amora Gem AVR's without culets, so maybe that factors in somehow...??

I didn't really discuss this point in detail with Jon because there were so many other things to discuss at the time. I just asked why it had no culet, said I thought that all AVR's have culets, and he said no, not at all. And when I looked at his inventory, I realized he was right! So definitely discuss culet beforehand if it's something you really really have your heart set on. I was a little bit disappointed because I had just assumed it'd have one, but after getting used to the idea, I realized I didn't really care either way.

Bordeaux

Rough_Rock
Absolutely stunning result and so worth the wait! :love: I've been following your process and appreciate your detailed posts and timeline. It's very helpful to others who are considering pursuing a custom cut! Can't wait to see your SK masterpiece!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jon has told me before that many people come into the store to look at diamonds and are not familiar with OECs, so he purposely leaves off cutting a culet facet because some people wouldn't understand. However, I love OECs and would not make that choice, personally. For those reading and considering custom cutting, you need to specify in writing the range of size you want for the culet. Large is actually small, but I think large is necessary if you actually want to be able to see it. Mine is so tiny I can't really see it, but there is a small one. Jon will have one cut after the fact, but then you have to pay for a new grading report and that's going to end up adding expense and I am not sure it's worth it.

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
I just figured out how to reply to multiple people!

Your AVR is amazing. Can't wait to see it set. You must come back with more photos once SK is done.
Thank you - This Friday will be the end of Wk 4, and I'm hoping it will be done sooner rather than later! But I also understand this is wedding season, so SK is likely very busy...
Oh my goodness, that stone is AMAZING. I can't wait to see the finished ring!!!!
Thank you!
Congratulations dazzle!! What an utterly beautiful stone. Kudos to Jon and GOG. So glad it is everything you hoped for and that your experience with Steven is going smoothly. I can't wait to see it in its new home. Best wishes on a continued speedy recovery. And an early congratulations to you and your fiancé.
Thanks LLJsmom! I specifically appreciate all the posting you've done over the last year or so to help educate other OEC lovers! Your Jocelyn helped me decide on the Destiny setting - thank you!
Your stone is beautiful and I look forward to seeing your completed ring!
Thanks!
Absolutely gorgeous!!!:love::love::love: Really looking forward to seeing the final ring!!! I love me some bead set diamonds!! Wishing you a speedy recovery and thank you for sharing!
We actually decided to go with the u-cut pave instead of bead-set, even though I DO love the bead set - the final decider was how much larger the melee could be without the walls. I will likely get a bright-set band, though, because I fell in love with the one Steven sent!
What a yummy stone you chose! Can't wait to see another SK work of art!
This was a custom cut - so didn't get to "choose" exactly! :lol: But I definitely agree regarding its yumminess!
Thud, my head dropped onto my laptop. My dream stone, my dream setting.. I am so happy for you, the stone is knockout, blowout gorgeous.. I cannot wait to see the ring itself.. Congratulations on your impending marriage.. Wowowow! :drool::drool::drool:
Oh thank you! Now I'll have to go stalk to see what rings you DO have!
What a BEAUTIFUL diamond!!! I'm sure the wait was frustrating (another example of how important communication is) but I'm so glad it worked out in the end. Looking forward to seeing the completed project!
I think there is a certain knowledge/information differential at play in these relationships n00bs like myself develop with vendors that impedes communication. Add in the intimidation factor, and yes, some things can definitely slip through the cracks! And thank you!
Gorgeous AVR :love: And a SK setting is icing on the cake!
Definitely so happy to be working with Steven - he has less coverage here on PS relative to some others, so I was hesitant at first, but after my one and only communication with him personally, I was sold. He is just amazing.

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
Wowza its perfect! Worth the wait indeed!
Thank you!
It's fabulous! Kudos for you making it though the process...my nerves wouldnt be able to take it!

Post more picks when you get it back from Sk!!
Thank you! Luckily there was lots of stuff going on IRL to distract us! I will be sure to post tons of pics once we are actually engaged - I hope I don't have to wait very long. :)
Congrats Dazzle!! I'm so glad you are happy with your stone! She's truly beautiful!!

That was also really nice of SK to send the bands to you. What a great way to make the best choice!!

I can't wait to see how the ring turns out!!!
Thank you Poshmommy! I really am so happy with her - I've even made her the lock-screen image on my phone! Thankfully, my SO doesn't judge me for being so obsessed. :lol:
Fabulous. Can't wait to see the setting. Congratulations
Thanks Queenie - hopefully soon!
Very pretty - will be anxious to see your finished ring! Congrats on patience and a beautiful outcome!
Thank you!
Beautiful AVR!! I think it is the only one I've seen with a pointed culet. Any plans for setting it yet?
There are actually quite a few in GOG inventory that have no culets - I hadn't noticed before this stone either! We are going with the Destiny setting from Steven Kirsch. It's very similar to the VC Jocelyn and the LM Cosmo, except with u-cut pave instead of bright-set.
Beautiful! Cant wait to see how you will have it set. :appl::wavey:
Thanks Acaw - we are going with the Destiny by Steven Kirsch
Congrats, :clap: Beautiful stone!..:love: can't wait to see the finished ring.
Thanks DF!
Wow, this is the first AVR I have seen with a pointed culet. It was probably done to save weight.
I had that thought too! I tried to look up how much weight is typically lost on the culet facet, but couldn't find any information. Still, I'm sure it would drop below 2.00 if they cut a culet in.
Woo hoo! Welcome to the AVR club! Beautiful diamond - can't wait to see the finished ring with the single cut melee!
Thanks Yimmers - what a great club to be in!! I am SOO excited about the single cuts!!
Oh wow your stone is stunning, I can't wait to see it set!
Thanks!

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful stone! Can't wait to see the finished ring.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: your question about the culet weight, I recall another PSer, I think it was RoL, had the culet of her 2.5ct OEC enlarged and it lost maybe 3 points. So I would guess that the observation about the culet being retained to meet the 2ct mark was quite astute.

Last edited:

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful stone! Can't wait to see the finished ring.
Thanks Jaaron! I can't believe we are finally down to the final few weeks after 6 months of waiting!
Re: your question about the culet weight, I recall another PSer, I think it was RoL, had the culet of her 2.5ct OEC enlarged and it lost maybe 3 points. So I would guess that the observation about the culet being retained to meet the 2ct mark was quite astute.
Thank You! I was hoping someone would remember a time a PS'er had a culet cut in or enlarged! Since the whole purpose of the culet was to remove the "weak" point in case anything smashed against it, and since my stone's point will be protected in a setting, I'm guessing I don't have anything to worry about, structurally speaking...? As for retaining the look of the OEC... the main aspect of the OEC that I covet is the large, chunky faceting. The kozibe is a nice feature, but not necessary for me to enjoy the stone. The symmetry and precision of the AVR's paired with the large, chunky facets is all I really needed - a culet would have just been extra!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Culet facets are cut on new European cuts just to be true to the appearance of original OECs. It really takes a large one to see it, and I do agree there's a chance it could take yours below 2.0. I think you could certainly get a small one and stay at 2 cts, but you probably wouldn't see it, so it wouldn't be worth it. Not to mention the time and trouble to do it! I wouldn't mind a larger one on mine, but it's just too much trouble.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone, can't wait to see it set and your bands too!!!

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
I'm dying waiting for SK to resize my ring, so in the meantime, I'm going to post what I have here!

For any newbies to the thread, the setting is SK's Destiny 2. :)

I'll create a SMTB thread once I have the ring back and can take some proper images!!!

SO proposed overlooking the Golden Gate Bridge and then we spent 4 days in Napa Valley to celebrate.

FullSizeRender (5).jpg

FullSizeRender (6).jpg

FullSizeRender (7).jpg

Some videos...

We visited a jewelry store in Napa to get my true ring size and decided to try on some bands while there. This is the only one where you can see the gallery.

SO also arranged for my BEST FRIEND and her husband to meet us in Napa. I hadn't seen her in 5 years because she and her husband live in HI, so it was the best surprise ever. Anyway, she has a vintage OEC, so I had to take a video of them performing in candlelight side by side.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (7).jpg
    FullSizeRender (7).jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 27

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love, love, love!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yum! That's gorgeous! The setting really enhances the stone. Also that last video looks like the best kind of moi and toi ring - two big fat boulders :love:

ringcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Love your videos, thank you so much for sharing with us. Congratulations on your engagement and your spectacular AVR and setting!! Wishing you a lifetime of happiness with your SO.
Can't wait to see more!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Utterly gorgeous stone and setting! :love: Congratulations on your engagement!!

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your engagement! Love the stone and the setting!!! :love:

Bordeaux

Rough_Rock
You already know how much I am in LOVE with this!! :love::love::love: SK did an incredible job and you really captured its beauty. How are you feeling about the I color? It looks SO white to me! I'm definitely going to have to keep coming back to stare at your videos until I get my AVR back. Can't wait to see more photos once you have it back on your hand and congratulations on your engagement!

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
Love, love, love!
Thank you!!
Oh yum! That's gorgeous! The setting really enhances the stone. Also that last video looks like the best kind of moi and toi ring - two big fat boulders :love:
IKR?!? I love imagining they are one ring.... sigh
Love your videos, thank you so much for sharing with us. Congratulations on your engagement and your spectacular AVR and setting!! Wishing you a lifetime of happiness with your SO.
Can't wait to see more!
Thank you!
Utterly gorgeous stone and setting! :love: Congratulations on your engagement!!
Thanks carbonfan!
Congrats on your engagement! Love the stone and the setting!!! :love:
Thanks Yimmers! I love your Abby as well - part of me wanted to go in the "smooth, understated, graceful" CvB direction. But in the end my need for glittery sparkles won out! lol

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
You already know how much I am in LOVE with this!! :love::love::love: SK did an incredible job and you really captured its beauty. How are you feeling about the I color? It looks SO white to me! I'm definitely going to have to keep coming back to stare at your videos until I get my AVR back. Can't wait to see more photos once you have it back on your hand and congratulations on your engagement!
I'm very color sensitive, so I can almost always see the tint. But it's exactly as I thought - the slight tint makes the stone better in my opinion. I like that it looks white sometimes, off-white other times, and full on buttery in beige/yellow rooms, from the side. I think I could also appreciate a DEF that is always blindingly white, but I prefer stones with a little color. Especially with a stone that is on my finger that I'm looking at constantly.

I definitely go to your thread to stare at least once a day, too - I'm now determined to get some solid DSLR shots of my ring once I get it back from SK!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!!!!:love::love::love:

I've been waiting for you to post! I saw your sweet proposal pics! You two are a beautiful couple!

What was wrong with the sizing? Remember that a ring fits more tightly with a wedding band, so it should be slightly on the loose side now!

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous!!!!:love::love::love:

I've been waiting for you to post! I saw your sweet proposal pics! You two are a beautiful couple!

What was wrong with the sizing? Remember that a ring fits more tightly with a wedding band, so it should be slightly on the loose side now!
Awww thanks DS!! He did great with the proposal!

As for the sizing, I still can't understand how I was so off! My two 1.7mm (each) hammered rings are exactly 4.25 and seem to fit perfectly. I think it's just the weight of the head that makes the ring CONSTANTLY flip and rotate! Also, SK did make the ring to about 4.35 instead of 4.25, which certainly didn't help. My fingers are pretty narrow all the way to the knuckle, so even when I put my 4mm-wide size 4.75 band that I wear on my RH onto my left where my wedding band will be, the ering was still sliding and flipping all over the place.

When we went into the jewelry store on a VERY hot day in Napa, I could still get the 3.5 ring sizer over my knuckle and it easily rotated around the base of my finger, so I think I'm a true size 3.5 (especially considering the ring sizers are more like 2.5mm-wide and are flat-edged instead of comfort fit.)

SK only feels comfortable taking the ring down to about a 4, though, so we'll see how that fits. He seemed resistant to the idea of adding sizing beads...

Bordeaux

Rough_Rock
I'm very color sensitive, so I can almost always see the tint. But it's exactly as I thought - the slight tint makes the stone better in my opinion. I like that it looks white sometimes, off-white other times, and full on buttery in beige/yellow rooms, from the side. I think I could also appreciate a DEF that is always blindingly white, but I prefer stones with a little color. Especially with a stone that is on my finger that I'm looking at constantly.

I definitely go to your thread to stare at least once a day, too - I'm now determined to get some solid DSLR shots of my ring once I get it back from SK!

Well said, I couldn't agree more! It's so important to have what you love regardless of what's conventionally more desirable. The DSLR camera helped me so much so I'm sure you'll get some winners! Can't wait to see! :D

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats!! I have been checking back constantly hoping for progress!! Can't wait to see tons more pictures!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dazzlerazzle Congratulations! You are getting so close! Hope the resizing will make it work. I know how the flipping can be annoying. That used to happen with my Jocelyn too, and I too did not want sizing beads. So when it was warm and I stacked it didn't flip. When it was cold, there was nothing I could do. Thus, a gorgeous gallery is a MUST, which you have with SK. I can't wait for pictures. Your videos are fabulous!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It turned out beautifully - hope it is soon sized and on your finger for good!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results