shape
carat
color
clarity

2.02 I VS1 AVR - Custom Cut

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
This is a delayed post because we actually got the stone in the mail almost 2 weeks ago, the day before I had surgery. Now that I'm fairly recovered, I finally feel up to creating a thread!

Timeline:

12/28/16: We submitted the work order form available via the Good Old Gold website for a custom-cut diamond. Our desired specs: 2.0-2.25 ct, I/J, VS

2/3/17: After deliberating for a few days, we pulled the trigger on a rough that had been found in our spec range. Although I had very much wanted to hold out for rough that displayed SBF, we were told that the wait could take many more months and that we should perhaps switch tracks to a simple re-cut if I really wanted to be that particular. So we opted to go ahead with the rough, which really was perfect for us outside of the lack of SBF. At this time, we were told the cutting process would take about a month.

3/28/17: Heard spec estimates from Jon that he had gotten from the cutters. At this point, the stone was mostly cut, but still had the upper and lower half facets to be done. Jon amazingly conveyed this information to us even while on vacation.

5/3/17: Stone reached Jon, and he created a video, ran a Sarin for measurements, and took some preliminary ASET's for us before overnighting to AGS.

5/9/17: Jon got the AGS specs and conveyed them to us.

5/10/17: Stone arrived back to Jon. He created a webpage with all the pertinent information and images, we went through the final steps of "purchasing" the stone, and he overnighted it to us.

As you can see from the timeline, our expectations for how long the process would take were not managed very well from the beginning. We wish we had been told: It's variable and dependent on the cutters, and could take up to 3 months - had that been our expectation from the start, we definitely wouldn't have pestered Jon so much! As it was, when 4 weeks came and went, we were disappointed. From there, it took a while for me to realize that Jon has very little control over how long the process takes and was just as much waiting on news as we were. Once I realized that, it was easier to just sit back and wait. From submitting the work order to certed diamond in hand was 19 weeks.

As for HOW the process went - it was amazing. Jon's customer service, as always, was above and beyond. He replied to questions promptly and fully, even when away from work or on vacation. It's obvious that he loves what he does and truly cares about his customers! We felt that we were in good hands throughout every step of the process.

Now, for the stone herself!

As the heading says, she came to 2.02 I VS1, and we couldn't be happier. I was particularly worried about the faceting and almost had a heart attack when the macro video Jon sent us had the facets under the table looking "chopped off," but Jon talked me down from the ledge, explaining that was just the effect of the macro photography. And once he got her back from AGS, he took a "normal" video of the stone (and her H twin) that showed that the faceting actually couldn't be any more perfect!

My boyfriend doesn't want me to see the stone in person until he proposes with the finished ring, but he did send me videos and photos he took through the 10x loupe Jon so thoughtfully included in the package. I'll include those here.

Jon's video and images:

104093562002_3.PNG
104093562002_4.PNG
104093562002_5.PNG

Standard, quick video:

Long, slow motion video:

Here is a close up that I've edited by bumping up the brightness and contrast:
FullSizeRender.jpg

And here are some unedited pics:
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
FullSizeRender (2).jpg

As for setting, the stone is with Steven Kirsch right now - I finally decided on his Destiny 2 design with G/H single cut 1.5mm melee for a total band width of 1.85/1.9mm.

He's really amazing - the day we found out the stone's stats, I called his office up after business hours intending to leave a voicemail - but he answered, and when I mentioned that I was having a hard time deciding between u-cut pave and bright-set and between single-cut and full-cut melee, he immediately offered to send me a bunch of bands of various widths and pave/melee types. So I woke up from my surgery to a package of 4 bands to obsess over all weekend! Coincidentally, the 2mm bright set band with no milgrain was actually my size and... I may have fallen in love with it and worn it the entire weekend - oops!

I plan to create another post in RT another time to show all the louped images I took of the different pave and melee. Interestingly, the single cut band seemed noticeably brighter to me than the full cut one of the same band width, and I preferred the look of the shiny walls as opposed to the milgrained walls I thought I liked. I'm so grateful I was able to compare all of the options in real life before deciding on design elements of the ring!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your AVR is amazing. Can't wait to see it set. You must come back with more photos once SK is done.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations dazzle!! What an utterly beautiful stone. Kudos to Jon and GOG. So glad it is everything you hoped for and that your experience with Steven is going smoothly. I can't wait to see it in its new home. Best wishes on a continued speedy recovery. And an early congratulations to you and your fiancé.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely gorgeous!!!:love::love::love: Really looking forward to seeing the final ring!!! I love me some bead set diamonds!! Wishing you a speedy recovery and thank you for sharing!

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
Oh my, that is the most perfect AVR I've ever seen! So symmetrical and gorgeous! You are so lucky!!! I'd say it was well worth the wait. Thanks so much for sharing! It is going to look fantastic in SK's setting, and I cannot wait to see your SK band thread. ^^

Do you mind sharing the images and specs of the AVR you told him you wanted yours to look like? I would love to see how closely Jon was able to match the faceting and other specs to the one you gave him as a guideline. Also, could we please see what the "chopped off" macro photography effect is?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thud, my head dropped onto my laptop. My dream stone, my dream setting.. I am so happy for you, the stone is knockout, blowout gorgeous.. I cannot wait to see the ring itself.. Congratulations on your impending marriage.. Wowowow! :drool::drool::drool:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sure you know how much I love it, since we now have sister diamonds!:love:

I know the timeline was rather frustrating, but I always say, the best things are worth waiting for! I can't wait to see your beautiful stone set!:appl:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a BEAUTIFUL diamond!!! I'm sure the wait was frustrating (another example of how important communication is) but I'm so glad it worked out in the end. Looking forward to seeing the completed project!

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
Oh my, that is the most perfect AVR I've ever seen! So symmetrical and gorgeous! You are so lucky!!! I'd say it was well worth the wait. Thanks so much for sharing! It is going to look fantastic in SK's setting, and I cannot wait to see your SK band thread. ^^

Do you mind sharing the images and specs of the AVR you told him you wanted yours to look like? I would love to see how closely Jon was able to match the faceting and other specs to the one you gave him as a guideline. Also, could we please see what the "chopped off" macro photography effect is?

Thanks Skhii!

We both agree that it WAS well-worth the wait. If I remember correctly, YOU actually advised me to get started sooner rather than later given that the wait time can wind up being longer than anticipated... Turns out you were very much correct!! lol

So, the stone I asked him to "replicate" as closely as he could.... this stone in particular had the highest face-up "return" per carat in his inventory at the time I chose it. As for how well it was replicated, I'd say it's a mixed bag. The faceting definitely looks very similar, but the measurements are pretty different. I had wanted a larger table closer to 50% and a shorter depth. The other big difference was the choice to leave my stone with no culet. At first I was upset about this but then realized that it most likely wouldn't have been visible with the naked eye anyways. But I DID think that since the stone I asked to have replicated (as much as that is possible) had a culet on the larger side, that my desire for not only a culet, but a fairly large one, was understood.

All in all, I think whether you deem the replication attempt a success or failure really depends on how exacting you want to be. Again, I would say managing expectations (management both from Jon AND of yourself - don't be a brat) from the outset is crucial here.

Here is the link to the stone:
https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond...GS-D-VS2-diamond-stock-9483-cert-104058928005

Unfortunately, it doesn't have an ASET - I'm not sure why. But here are the comparison photos. My stone is always on the left and the 1.635 is always on the right.
gogimage.JPG
Obviously, the lighting on mine was incredibly blown out, and it was hard to tell much from this image.

Here you can see the differences in percentage measurements.
gogcerts.JPG
Here is the macro 360 degree video that made the under-table facets appear "chopped off" (the phrasing I use to describe when the petals don't have enough room to round out before they hit the edge of the table.) I'm not sure why that affect same into play on MY stone and not the 1.635 (or most others, that I can see) - but it was very misleading at first since it was the only image we had to go on until the stone got back from AGS!
gogdivs.JPG

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a GORGEOUS perfect AVR! I can't wait to see it set. Will you get a culet cut in?
Thank you for the detailed timeline and observations - I didn't know just how specific you could be!

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
I am sure you know how much I love it, since we now have sister diamonds!:love:

I know the timeline was rather frustrating, but I always say, the best things are worth waiting for! I can't wait to see your beautiful stone set!:appl:

Thanks DS! I really can't believe how lucky I am to now have a smaller twin sister to your stone - I've loved your stone from a distance ever since you got it!

And actually, the wait was really not all that frustrating in the big scheme of things - we just eventually started to worry that we'd have to push a proposal off until the fall! I'd imagine that if I were doing a custom cut as an upgrade, I wouldn't care two figs about how long it took, especially with a stone this gorgeous being the final product!

Especially after seeing SK's craftmanship on the bands he sent, I can not wait to see the final ring! The bright-set band sparkled more than any other ring I've ever seen on anyone in real life. There's just no comparison.

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wowza its perfect! Worth the wait indeed!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's fabulous! Kudos for you making it though the process...my nerves wouldnt be able to take it!

Post more picks when you get it back from Sk!!

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats Dazzle!! I'm so glad you are happy with your stone! She's truly beautiful!!

That was also really nice of SK to send the bands to you. What a great way to make the best choice!!

I can't wait to see how the ring turns out!!!

Q

Queenie60

Fabulous. Can't wait to see the setting. Congratulations

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
What a GORGEOUS perfect AVR! I can't wait to see it set. Will you get a culet cut in?
Thank you for the detailed timeline and observations - I didn't know just how specific you could be!

Haha well... I'm not sure Jon would love it if every customer was a detail-obsessed micro-manager like myself... I'm sure I was a hand full! :lol:

And, as we see in this case, you really CAN'T be all all that particular! I mean, you can certainly convey your preferences, but you get what you get - and in 100% of cases it will be an ideal-cut AVR, regardless of if it matches your stated preferences or not!

Diamondseeker was a huge help in keeping me sane throughout the process, and as she pointed out - the culet is pretty much invisible to the naked eye anyways - not worth it to go back for more cutting.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty - will be anxious to see your finished ring! Congrats on patience and a beautiful outcome!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful AVR!! I think it is the only one I've seen with a pointed culet. Any plans for setting it yet?

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! Cant wait to see how you will have it set. :appl::wavey:

Swedeabroad

Rough_Rock
Congrats Dazzle!! It's a stunning stone and so bright:appl:

Hope you don't mind if I ask you a couple of questions since I'm considering going the custom cut route as well.

-Will your custom cut diamond have Good Old Gold's Lifetime Polices?
-Did you happen to be able to compare I and J coloured stones in this carat range? I'm not especially colour sensitive but would prefer not to have a yellow tinted stone because of cultural reasons.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats, :clap: Beautiful stone!..:love: can't wait to see the finished ring.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow, this is the first AVR I have seen with a pointed culet. It was probably done to save weight.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Woo hoo! Welcome to the AVR club! Beautiful diamond - can't wait to see the finished ring with the single cut melee!

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh wow your stone is stunning, I can't wait to see it set!

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for posting your inspiration stone and sharing your experience, dazzlerazzle! I think it's really helpful and interesting to see what the limitations are when going through the custom cutting process. Somehow I was thinking GOG/the cutters would have been able to generate a computer model of the expected outcome. I am really glad that you are very happy with your stone!
The lack of a culet is surprising though since it's one of the hallmarks of an OEC, and you actually wanted a large one. Did you ask Jon about it?

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
Congrats Dazzle!! It's a stunning stone and so bright:appl:

Hope you don't mind if I ask you a couple of questions since I'm considering going the custom cut route as well.

-Will your custom cut diamond have Good Old Gold's Lifetime Polices?
-Did you happen to be able to compare I and J coloured stones in this carat range? I'm not especially colour sensitive but would prefer not to have a yellow tinted stone because of cultural reasons.

Hi Swedeabroad :wavey:

Yes, the stone has GOG's usual policies.

My SO and I did visit GOG's store last fall, and we got to compare various colors in a lighting cabinet, under the store lights, and in daylight. We definitely began to notice the side-view tint at I color. If you truly don't want any tint at all, I'd say you shouldn't go below H at the lowest. Having said that, I think (TO ME) the tint of the I is only really noticeable when comparing it to whiter stones, from the side. Once it's set and on my finger, I don't expect to see the tint much, if at all.

Also, I definitely think you get more color leeway with these antique cuts than with modern stones. I was prepared to happily go down to a J! If anyone tries to judge, you can just educate them on how antique cuts differ from modern ones, and point out the pastel reflections. I can understand the pull to fit into a cultural norm - but I've always been a bit of a rebel, and see value in doing things my OWN way. Heck, one of my favorite AVR's is on Instagram and is an M color!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results