shape
carat
color
clarity

1.52 James Allen Diamond

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to pull the trigger on this diamond later today. I’ve read here for years. My current diamond is an .82 AGS000 and I’m going to a GIA ex/ex/ex 1.52. I’m really hoping the cut quality is the same. Please reassure me!! They’ve confirmed it is eye clean.

https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...j-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-6418233
Did you get an ASET or IS image? I'm worried about rje crown angle being 33. Especially if your other stone was 000 AGS, you want to make sure you get an idea cut stone for an upgrade. What is your budget?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is not a bad stone but I second the suggestion to request and IS. Are you upgrading through JA?

sstephensid

Shiny_Rock
Did you get an ASET or IS image? I'm worried about rje crown angle being 33. Especially if your other stone was 000 AGS, you want to make sure you get an idea cut stone for an upgrade. What is your budget?

I held this stone on Saturday. I wanted to go get sized again that night but had a snowstorm and wasn’t able to get out. Of course early this AM I think to request images but they said it can take 48 hours. My budget is pretty much around this +maybe a couple hundred. I’m also getting a new setting.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is not a bad stone but I second the suggestion to request and IS. Are you upgrading through JA?
Good question. Wondering if op is open to other vendors.

sstephensid

Shiny_Rock
No. My old stone was from a chain. I may sell it independently if I can get anything for it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would use the search tool to look at stones in budget with HCA under 2 and Xxx or 000 cuts. That way you can see what multiple vendors have in stock at once.

sstephensid

Shiny_Rock
I would use the search tool to look at stones in budget with HCA under 2 and Xxx or 000 cuts. That way you can see what multiple vendors have in stock at once.

I haven’t done that the last few days. Last week I used it and James Allen was the cheapest that I “knew”. B2C and one other one (haven’t really heard much about either) had some in the same price range. But most had more visible inclusions or were smaller with a slightly higher clarity. I saw this one and thought ohh! But just wanted to do my due diligence.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven’t done that the last few days. Last week I used it and James Allen was the cheapest that I “knew”. B2C and one other one (haven’t really heard much about either) had some in the same price range. But most had more visible inclusions or were smaller with a slightly higher clarity. I saw this one and thought ohh! But just wanted to do my due diligence.
Yeah, inventory is low right now (probably still from the holidays). B2C is a trusted vendor here, but sometimes can't get ASET/IS images. Any vendors on the PS search is trusted , so don't worry about not knowing a vendor.

If you are ever planning to upgrade, I'd consider going with WF/HPD due to generous upgrade policies.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I am not good with modern rounds, but I have purchased loose stones from B2C for studs years ago and they were just fine to deal with. Most of the inventory has to be called in, to memory, but they were easy to work with.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
You're getting the size because it's a J SI2 with strong blue fluorescence.

Does the fluorescence have any negative impact on the stone?

This might be a difficult stone to sell in the future if you wanted to upgrade again and couldn't do Blue Nile's rules for upgrade.

The plot... I have mixed feelings. Crystals are probably the best inclusion for SI2 in my view so long as it's eye clean. There's one very large crestal that I'm worried you'll spot with your eyes but you may not and it may not bother you even if you can.

This stone scores 1.2 on HCA, suggesting everything is complementary, however I personally am not a fan of those numbers myself. They're outside what we would normally recommend and you're used to an AGS 000, which is not the same as a GIA EX EX EX.

It has a large table and shallow crown angle. I might be concerned about leaking under the table and also it may not be a particularly firey diamond. Having said that a lot of people have stones with larger tables that are very brilliant and it's the kind of light performance they like. Despite that I'm still nervous about that crown angle.

However I think you must see an ASET to know.

I'm not an expert - @flyingpig comes immediately to mind as giver of useful comments. There's various other people I could call but I'll currently resist. =)2

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. My old stone was from a chain. I may sell it independently if I can get anything for it.
You are likely to be able to resell an AGS000 faily easy. Can you post your current report?

Let’s see what we can find you for the same amount somewhere else. Would an upgrade policy be important to you?

sstephensid

Shiny_Rock
You are likely to be able to resell an AGS000 faily easy. Can you post your current report?

Let’s see what we can find you for the same amount somewhere else. Would an upgrade policy be important to you?

I can when I get home. Unfortunately, the setting I think is what will be a problem. It’s Neil Lane for Jared. Not quality like the main stone!

Upgrade- it would be nice. It’s not necessarily a dealbreaker. But if I ever wanted to go bigger, it would be hard without an upgrade policy.

sstephensid

Shiny_Rock
You're getting the size because it's a J SI2 with strong blue fluorescence.

Does the fluorescence have any negative impact on the stone?

This might be a difficult stone to sell in the future if you wanted to upgrade again and couldn't do Blue Nile's rules for upgrade.

The plot... I have mixed feelings. Crystals are probably the best inclusion for SI2 in my view so long as it's eye clean. There's one very large crestal that I'm worried you'll spot with your eyes but you may not and it may not bother you even if you can.

This stone scores 1.2 on HCA, suggesting everything is complementary, however I personally am not a fan of those numbers myself. They're outside what we would normally recommend and you're used to an AGS 000, which is not the same as a GIA EX EX EX.

It has a large table and shallow crown angle. I might be concerned about leaking under the table and also it may not be a particularly firey diamond. Having said that a lot of people have stones with larger tables that are very brilliant and it's the kind of light performance they like. Despite that I'm still nervous about that crown angle.

However I think you must see an ASET to know.

I'm not an expert - @flyingpig comes immediately to mind as giver of useful comments. There's various other people I could call but I'll currently resist. =)2

Thank you. I wondered if the fluorescence would make the J appear more white. I know some like it and some don’t. And I hope they can send the image sooner rather than later!! Not that I am the best interpreter.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you. I wondered if the fluorescence would make the J appear more white. I know some like it and some don’t. And I hope they can send the image sooner rather than later!! Not that I am the best interpreter.

It may help improve the face up colour of the stone and some really like it. It's just important to check it doesn't cause any milkiness or haziness.

My previous stone had medium blue fluorescence, which I had no problem with myself as it didn't affect the stone at all, but selling it was nearly impossible because of the undeserved stigma against fluorescence. It was an F so I think the stigma was more than had it been lower coloured but still. Having now had that kind of experience I would now avoid fluorescence unless the upgrade policy was awesome. I'm not saying you should avoid this stone because of the fluorescence, I just am sharing my experience as food for thought and highlighting that you do need to check that it's not the rare fluorescence that goes milky or hazy.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bought my fiancee a BGD Blue H VS2 with medium blue fluor. In our case, if it helps whiten the stone it's by a very minimal amount.

Personally I have no issues with fluor, but I would not buy with the assumption you are going to get a "color bump" out of the deal. It's not going to magically make your stone jump a full color grade. It may help under certain lighting conditions, but again, by minimal amounts. As such I'd tend to consider it a perk and not something I'd bank on.

As far as the proportions, I'd strongly recommend you request an idealscope to ensure there is no leakage.

Also, can you post the cert of your other AGS000 stone? I'm curious the proportions so we can gain an understanding of the personality of stone you are used to looking at. I'm afraid this new stone will be much different as others pointed out. It has a shallow crown and big table which can contribute to stronger white light return and less fire. Beautiful in their own right, but it's a preference. Most people think Tolk style proportions when talking ideal and what I think your AGS000 is probably based around.

I'm also concerned with the 40.8 pavilion. If you do a search here you can see where 60-60 stones with a 33/41 and longer LGF's are sometimes sought after. This new stone actually has a 59 table and 60.9 depth. And that 40.8 pavilion is a little less steep and consequently not as complimentary to the very shallow 33 crown.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/60-60-diamonds-with-33-41-angles.205800/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/any-thoughts-on-33-degree-crown-41-pavillion.87225/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/does-this-vitual-pic-look-good.87228/

I don't have the fancy software others do on this forum, but looking at rudimentary AGS proportions charts we can see how that small change in pavilion can affect the behavior. Here it puts the the stone exactly at EX with about 33% chance of hitting ideal after accounting for GIA rounding/averaging (bigger blue box). A 41 pavilion puts it exactly at ideal and about 89% of being ideal.

59 table, 33 crown & 40.8 pavilion

Capture.PNG

59 table, 33 crown & 41 pavilion

Capture2.PNG

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my old/current diamond. IMG_1300.jpeg

You have a super small table @ 54.5 and a 34.3/40.7 angle combo with 76 LGF's.

I imagine that little sucker is like a disco ball on your finger -- lots of fire!!

I'd list your stone for sale on this forum. Assuming you don't have any unknown damage, etc I think someone will buy it rather quick as the proportions are quite lovely.

Unfortunately, the personality of the new stone you are looking at does not match this one. You may feel a little disappointed.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I think you won't find the performance of this new stone to be as good as the one you have. I'd try to find something with a more comperable cut.

sstephensid

Shiny_Rock
You have a super small table @ 54.5 and a 34.3/40.7 angle combo with 76 LGF's.

I imagine that little sucker is like a disco ball on your finger -- lots of fire!!

I'd list your stone for sale on this forum. Assuming you don't have any unknown damage, etc I think someone will buy it rather quick as the proportions are quite lovely.

Unfortunately, the personality of the new stone you are looking at does not match this one. You may feel a little disappointed.

Darn it. All of the AGS000 diamonds in my price range are a lot smaller. But I understand there is a reason why. I may be willing to take the risk with James Allen knowing I can return it for 30 days. I think I can try a few different diamonds for free. And I may try selling it here! I'd have no idea on what to price it, especially considering the setting. No damage!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Darn it. All of the AGS000 diamonds in my price range are a lot smaller. But I understand there is a reason why. I may be willing to take the risk with James Allen knowing I can return it for 30 days. I think I can try a few different diamonds for free. And I may try selling it here! I'd have no idea on what to price it, especially considering the setting. No damage!

Great point. Since you don't have to trade in your existing stone, you can take advantage of the return policies and live with a stone for a few days under various conditions to ensure how you feel about it as you can compare them side by side.

Just be careful. It's also a recipe for analysis paralysis.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can when I get home. Unfortunately, the setting I think is what will be a problem. It’s Neil Lane for Jared. Not quality like the main stone!

Upgrade- it would be nice. It’s not necessarily a dealbreaker. But if I ever wanted to go bigger, it would be hard without an upgrade policy.
Many of the Neil Lane settings are actually pretty nice and they are attractive to many buyers, so you never know until you actually list it. Or you can sell the stone separately. You have a gorgeous diamond with beautiful cut proportions!

I tried to see if I can find something better, but the SI2 that you have found is very eye-clean. With the quick search I did, I am not seeing anything else comparable in the price range. Make sure to ask JA about their advantage pricing.

There is a high chance that you will like the stone in person. I have had a 60/60 type stone similar to the new one you are considering and also other stones similar to toyr existing diamond. I appreciated them all equally, so I would be optimistic and just see how you feel once you receive the diamond. Worst case is you will return it.

P.S. your existing stone will make an awesome side stone in a three stone ring :P2

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock

If I may suggest, why not contact WF and see if they will take your old diamond at 70% or so? Sometimes they will and yours is AGS000.

Also, inventories are still low. I was offered choices in the rough today ... I would suspect more inventory in a week or so.

It’s hard to be patient, but I think your choices are at the lowest point of the year.

I would not suggest that you upgrade to this diamond. I think you will find the size for performance trade-off disappointing. I strongly suggest no compromise on cut!

Oh and to add one more point ... if you buy just over the 1.5 mark, you’re paying for the milestone weight without a lot of benefit. I think you would get more for your money if you stay just under 1.5 ... and if you go over, I think you should try for more than .02 over ...

Last edited:

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If I may suggest, why not contact WF and see if they will take your old diamond at 70% or so? Sometimes they will and yours is AGS000.

Also, inventories are still low. I was offered choices in the rough today ... I would suspect more inventory in a week or so.

It’s hard to be patient, but I think your choices are at the lowest point of the year.

I would not suggest that you upgrade to this diamond. I think you will find the size for performance trade-off disappointing. I strongly suggest no compromise on cut!

Oh and to add one more point ... if you buy just over the 1.5 mark, you’re paying for the milestone weight without a lot of benefit. I think you would get more for your money if you stay just under 1.5 ... and if you go over, I think you should try for more than .02 over ...

I agree, I also don't like this particular diamond, and there isn't much in online inventories right now either. I think you'll have much better luck waiting about a month once inventories re-stock. If you order now, it probably wouldn't be ready in time for V-day anyway, so I see no reason to rush into anything.

sstephensid

Shiny_Rock

Thanks. I’ll shot them an email. Now my setting is 25% off at James Allen so I’m not sure if I should proceed with it by itself or what.

I looked from 1.4 up, but this is the one I found eyeclean!

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
What stands out to me is the fluorescence. I returned a stone that was perfect in all aspects to JA, because when I got it home, it was so obviously hazy in direct sunlight it gave a cloudy appearance which annoyed me. Unfortunately, they won't check your stone for this prior to purchase ( I asked). It didn't bump the color at all either, btw.
Be careful, because often the really pretty stones on some of those sights, JA and BN in particular, have Fluor. Almost impossible to find a diamond without something "off" with those vendors. You'll have to compromise a lot, which I know, with this special upgrade, is not in the cards. Try going to "Rhino" at August Vintage diamonds to get an experienced buyer to bring in your stone for you. Also, he may take yours in trade. He's wonderful to work with.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks. I’ll shot them an email. Now my setting is 25% off at James Allen so I’m not sure if I should proceed with it by itself or what.

JA runs the 25% off so often, if you happen to buy when they don’t have 25% off, I would ask anyway, lol. No but seriously, if the 25% off is not on, it will be again soon. They have 25% off far more often than not ... I would guess around 80-90% of the time.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
JA runs the 25% off so often, if you happen to buy when they don’t have 25% off, I would ask anyway, lol. No but seriously, if the 25% off is not on, it will be again soon. They have 25% off far more often than not ... I would guess around 80-90% of the time.

Exactly. They have 25% off leading up to literally every single semi-relevant holiday. St. Patrick's day? 2 weeks of 25% off. Memorial day? 2 weeks of 25% off. Take your child to work day? 2 weeks of 25% off. And then, the sale is always extended for "One more week!!!"

As @kmoro said, if you DON'T buy a setting from them at 25% off, then you're doing it wrong. They remind me of a regional furniture store on the east coast called Haynes. They were always having their "Biggest sale of the season" every single week. I don't think that a single customer ever purchased something from them at any less than 60% off. :mrgreen:

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock

I found this beautiful ACA ... a little lower in color and it may seem like not eye-clean but WF says it is ... maybe not the tiniest table but nothing large about it ... the desired 34.5 CA with 40.8 PA .... look at the well balanced white and colored flashes ... and upgrade policy .... gorgeous diamond! and just over the 7 mm mark. ASET, H&A ... :appl:

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3983290.htm

Oh here’s a similar:

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4070343.htm

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are you sure you wouldn't be happier with a slightly smaller diamond that is well cut and doesn't have any potential negatives? For your budget of around $7k, you could get a nice 1.3 carat I-color diamond that is well cut without any fluor.
https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/round-diamond-1.3-carat-i-vs2-yd4975353

1.3 carats would still be a really nice upgrade over a .82 carat diamond.

But seriously, I would recommend contacting either WhiteFlash, August Vintage, or even High Performance Diamonds and see if they would work with you on a reasonable trade-in offer for your current diamond if you bought a stone from them. I've heard that HPD sometimes takes people's old diamonds and gives them a fair price, so that may be your best bet. Probably better than trying to sell it yourself, both for the hassle involved and the price that you'll likely get trying to sell it on your own.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results