color
clarity

1.33ct Octavia - My first baby step towards a 6ct asscher

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: 1.33ct Octavia - My first baby step towards a 6ct assche

tradergirl|1308102196|2946158 said:
It appears to be available for purchase again. Wonder what happened.

I would have used the 9K in the futures or currency markets and traded my way to the big rock as opposed to this plan. But I know that not everyone can or wants to do that.

Nothing really. I've had it released back into the market (as some people appear to have asked for it, despite the fact that there's a very similar stone to it, albeit a bit smaller but quite a bit cheaper). Jon is on the search for my next upgrade already and will shoot a video of the stone. I've also asked GOG to let some PS'ers (ie. Luv2sparkle and Asscherhalo_lover) hand-model the stone in the video.

RE futures and forex, I'm already doing them and have other plans for the funds. Thanks though! :))

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lbbaber|1308022234|2945290 said:
What a beautiful stone and a neat plan! I completely get where you are coming from---I have a hard time refraining from spending my "play money" and just blew my diamond stud fund shopping this weekend. Looks like I'll have to wait til next month to get them!!

Question, when you do get your 6c honker--will it be sent overseas??? I would be terrified of it getting lost!!!

Congrats on a beautiful stone (regardless if you wear it now or not) and I look foward to seeing the 1st upgrade :D

Good luck with saving next month. I totally can relate! :wink2:

Not sure yet how i'd be getting it. Brinks I guess - it's a bit more secure than FedEx from what I can gather. More expensive but it'd be worthwhile, I guess. I will see as and when the 6ct does happen.

I can't wait either. Thank you.

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock

"Released it into the market?" Huh? You're trying to flip it for a profit already?

By the way, you better take a look at a EU/USD chart. You're probably not purchasing in Euros but since the Fed is at least giving lip service to no more quantitative easing (in its most obvious form, cynic that I am) the USD should at least theoretically bounce and strengthen against a variety of currencies, including yours. And not soon enough for me; I am sick to death of getting ripped off trying to buy foreign goods. It's about time the penalties were paid on the other side.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

tradergirl|1308133944|2946437 said:
"Released it into the market?" Huh? You're trying to flip it for a profit already?
By the way, you better take a look at a EU/USD chart. You're probably not purchasing in Euros but since the Fed is at least giving lip service to no more quantitative easing (in its most obvious form, cynic that I am) the USD should at least theoretically bounce and strengthen against a variety of currencies, including yours. And not soon enough for me; I am sick to death of getting ripped off trying to buy foreign goods. It's about time the penalties were paid on the other side.

Nope, it's at exactly the same price I purchased it for.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

I'll admit that when I first read Phoenix' post I was shocked! Last year I had a .55 RB w/ side ceylons and then spent the entire year craving a 1ct which I finally received a month ago. While I waited I lurked around PS at all of your amazing rings and immediatly started plans for adding side traps and a halo, while I save for the 2 ct upgrade in the next year or so. Last night as I browsed all the amazing rings in the 'show me your bling thread' and gooed and gaaed, my fiance looked at me with a really defeated look and asked me 'If I thought I would ever be full?' This soo broke my heart! I thought about all the things that he had sacrificed along the way so that I could have a bit a bling on my finger, and asked myself what it really meant to me. Sadly, I think that it represents none of the things that it was supposed to. It doesn't mean that he loves me more, it doesn't mean that we are going to be happier, it doesn't mean that we are more or less successful than someone with a bigger or smaller diamond, it doesn't mean any of that. I began to realize that by lurking around PS I had developed a bit of a 'keeping up with the jones' mentality, and that I wanted what so many of you have...spectacular bling! :love: But I now realize that I'm not willing to trade the bling in exchange for my sons college fund, or our dream house, or retirement.

So, like I said when I first read your post I was shocked that someone could or would by a 10k ring that they would never see simply as a stepping stone to a 6ct stone a few years down the road. To me, this is unfathomable. As I continued to read my perspective changed, and I came to the conclusion that we are all in a different place in our lives right now. What seems unreasonable to one, makes perfect sense to another. The fact that Phoenix can have such an amazing attainable dream as a 6ct Asscher is amazing to me and a dream that I myself hope to one day fulfill, but like I said, not until the other more important things and people in my life are full. It sounds as though Phoenix already fulfilled her responsibilities. So I say....Who are we to judge? I don't know Phoenix, she sounds resonable to me and I hope to one day be every bit as fortunate as she is today, and I'll bet that she got there by making reasonable, informed, and smart decisions. So, not that you need my approval, or anyone elses for that matter, but I say ' You go girl, rock that thing!!' :appl:

affguy

Shiny_Rock

Wow, she can't win for losing. Buy and hold onto it, people complained that it wasn't going to someone who'd actually wear it. Try to placate those people by returning it and somehow people think she's profiteering. Sorry phoenix, I don't see where you deserved to get dragged thru the mud either way.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

affguy|1308159491|2946710 said:

Wow, she can't win for losing. Buy and hold onto it, people complained that it wasn't going to someone who'd actually wear it. Try to placate those people by returning it and somehow people think she's profiteering. Sorry phoenix, I don't see where you deserved to get dragged thru the mud either way.

Seriously.

Phoenix, I think a 6 carat Octavia sounds smashing, and I quite look forward to seeing what you'll pick next! I think it was, well, quite nice of you to take the fact that other people wanted it into consideration - hopefully, karma will repay you by presenting the perfect piece of rough for your next pick in short order.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I do hope and pray there will be tooooooons of pics of the rough and the stone as it goes through the cutting process.
I would sooooooooo love to be that photographer. :love: :love:
I am so in love with the Octavia and macrophotography of diamonds.

CushionCutie

Rough_Rock

Agreed. Haters gonna hate.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

That's stunning! Gorgeous!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

CushionCutie|1308165638|2946817 said:

Agreed. Haters gonna hate.

Ditto! Some of the posts in this thread have been ridiculous and I'm not even the net nannying type!

Can't wait to see the 2.5er, Phoenix!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Green with Envy|1307826889|2943534 said:
I am not trying to be mean... but I have to agree with Kenny. I have not posted in a long time and consider myself a lurker now. But this thread I found so disturbing that I had to comment.

I DO understand you are having a difficult time saving enough money for a 6 ct stone because this will take along time and you need some sort of "fix" sooner than you can save for the big stone. Ok. I get that. And I do appreciate that you are at least honest with yourself that you have no self control or will power.

I see you are trying to justify your decisions with this illogical strategy about exchange rates/ trade up value, yadda yadda yadda. Deep down you know that is bogus and the truth is that you just have no idea how to save money. Your desires for stones are insatiable and your inability to put limits on urges of immediate gratification are similar to those with serious addictions.

I know this is a jewelry forum and we all should just say how happy we are that you bought a nice stone and are planning to upgrade for another.

However I just had to say that on a psychological level I feel really sad for your situation and am shocked that others think this strategy is sound. I see you have contributed a lot to this forum and you seem to have made some friends on this board.

If I were you- I would want a friend to check I and say... Are you OK??? Because this idea you have with the 1.33ct is just plain ridiculous and I think anyone encouraging this plan should be ashamed of themselves. Or should check their own financial sanity.

My thoughts are this... who are we- any of us- to judge others? We have no idea of their financial circuimstances. For all any of us know, this kind of money is like a night out to dinner in the city for the rest of us. We each chose to spend our money the way we want. I don't feel ashamed for congratulating Pheonix on purchasing something that she wanted and could afford. I think everyone should really think twice before they pass judgement on others.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you sincerely once again to all those who have posted your support and have shared in my joy. I apologise that I'm not able to respond to each one of you individually - we're in the middle of moving house and am up to my ears with packing and what seems like a thousand other errands. I've read every single post and know who you are. Thank you.

I'm not upset by the negative posts or judgement being passed here by the other PS'ers, really I'm not. I've stared *real* adversity in the face too many times to be bothered by something as trivial as this. Besides, my parents brought me up to behave in a dignified manner and to always hold my head up high, so I shall not engage in any backlash or make any negative comments back. Suffices it to say however that I'm not the one carrying the negative emotions here.

I love PS, obviously for the bling, but more than that for the help, mutual support and understanding that the majority of PS'ers have shown not just to me but to one another. It is amazing that although most of us have not met IRL and yet you are capable of such warmth and generosity that are so touching; that makes PS truly a place that I'm proud to be a part of.

LOVE AND PEACE, EVERYONE! :love: :love: :love: :love:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Phoenix|1308220902|2947348 said:
Thank you sincerely once again to all those who have posted your support and have shared in my joy. I apologise that I'm not able to respond to each one of you individually - we're in the middle of moving house and am up to my ears with packing and what seems like a thousand other errands. I've read every single post and know who you are. Thank you.

I'm not upset by the negative posts or judgement being passed here by the other PS'ers, really I'm not. I've stared *real* adversity in the face too many times to be bothered by something as trivial as this. Besides, my parents brought me up to behave in a dignified manner and to always hold my head up high, so I shall not engage in any backlash or make any negative comments back. Suffices it to say however that I'm not the one carrying the negative emotions here.

I love PS, obviously for the bling, but more than that for the help, mutual support and understanding that the majority of PS'ers have shown not just to me but to one another. It is amazing that although most of us have not met IRL and yet you are capable of such warmth and generosity that are so touching; that makes PS truly a place that I'm proud to be a part of.

you're a class act.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Amys Bling|1308223313|2947353 said:
Phoenix|1308220902|2947348 said:

you're a class act.

+1

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock

There are lots of people coming on to question something that they can't understand, and write it off as being emotional etc etc.

Actually that was my very first response when i read the crazy plan... then a while later, I was excited because I fully get where Phoenix is coming from! And it is a logical direction as well, not an emotional one. It hinges on one key fact - we are Singaporean! (No, this does not mean we are a country of wonky minded people)

1) Buying from a reputable retailer with lots of beautiful cut options like GOG (octavia, solasfera, AVC etc) gives plenty of upgrade options.

2) Buying an item, rather than saving it gives all the emotional and ownership benefits of actually spending cash to buy something, but the cash is actually almost on 'layaway', partial payment towards a final purchase. So it is 'safer' than savings as it is committed towards one goal. PLUS, without actually buying Anything, she feels as though she did. She basically purchased a diamond for 'free'! And eventually, she would have purchased not 1 6ct diamond, but many many lovely gems, all for the same money.

3) Why not take ownership? Shipping overseas is killer. Trading up might be cash safe at GOG, but refunding taxes - 7% for purchase is very time consuming, and might not be possible if she keeps the stone (not sure). Also, there is insurance, and risk of damage/loss during transit which further complicates things. Especially since the timeline is that it will be a new purchase by possibly dec.

4) She did say she will take ownership and set if/when the next upgrade cycle is measured in a longer period, so that's for later and already factored in

5) We are not currency neutral. When talking about 100K USD, a change in currency of 3cents to the dollar (month on month the fluctuations can be more than that) would be a change in valuation of $3K of wasted money. Plus now that the USD is close to an all time low vs SGD, the exchange risks in the first step are very low and at least portions of her purchase were obtained at a good exchange rate

6) Local savings accounts are ridiculously low interest paying. Less than 1% annually. Even bond yields are low. Higher risk investments might give better yields, but they come with risk. Everyone's portfolio should contain liquid and long term cash positions - for her this could count as one (it is a stretch i know). But basically, all 'savings' schemes would be worthless if the USD fluctuates just 5% back upwards. So better to jump in now at such a great exchange rate.

7) GOG knows phoenix is serious, has her money with them, and will ensure that everything she wants will be fulfilled within reason. They are just as committed as she is towards that dream. This is important for trust as we are operating without physical sight. We need them to be working in our best interests, as we don't see the vendor, and have no hands on the product. So GOG has a tremendously valuable client, and Phoenix has reassurance in GOG's capabilities and service. Besides, she can say stop anytime before it reaches 6cts and still enjoy herself.

I'm just chipping in because i see too many people asking her to justify herself... thought it might be nice to share an alternative point of view describing the same thing. ;-)

And to Phoenix? DAM GD PLAN!!! I'm in Singapore - so please show me the ring when you get it in person! I'll bring down my Oakleys.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results