shape
carat
color
clarity

1.33ct Octavia - My first baby step towards a 6ct asscher

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Re: 1.33ct Octavia - My first baby step towards a 6ct assche

Honestly, it doesn't seem like such a bad plan to me since the stock market is starting to decline and interest rates are crap. Can't wait to see your 6 ct one day!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I thought maybe you had a screw loose until I read the rest of your posts, and there is a sort of strange logic to your plan! :cheeky: Bling is your hobby, I don't see anything different between the way you buy and enjoy bling and someone who takes a lot of vacations or any other use of discretionary income. I doubt any of us are really in a position to cast stones.

The only part I diagree with is not wearing it. A simple setting costs $250. But I suppose shipping is a beast...

Anyways, sell some of your other pieces and upgrade sooner that's what I say!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

I've read the whole thread and I still don't quite get the logic. I do think, however, that you've got one gorgeous Octavia!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow Phoenix, this stone is amazing! Tell Jon to send it to me :naughty:
I hope that you get to obtain your dream stone very soon! :appl:

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock

I am not trying to be mean... but I have to agree with Kenny. I have not posted in a long time and consider myself a lurker now. But this thread I found so disturbing that I had to comment.

I DO understand you are having a difficult time saving enough money for a 6 ct stone because this will take along time and you need some sort of "fix" sooner than you can save for the big stone. Ok. I get that. And I do appreciate that you are at least honest with yourself that you have no self control or will power.

I see you are trying to justify your decisions with this illogical strategy about exchange rates/ trade up value, yadda yadda yadda. Deep down you know that is bogus and the truth is that you just have no idea how to save money. Your desires for stones are insatiable and your inability to put limits on urges of immediate gratification are similar to those with serious addictions.

I know this is a jewelry forum and we all should just say how happy we are that you bought a nice stone and are planning to upgrade for another.

However I just had to say that on a psychological level I feel really sad for your situation and am shocked that others think this strategy is sound. I see you have contributed a lot to this forum and you seem to have made some friends on this board.

If I were you- I would want a friend to check I and say... Are you OK??? Because this idea you have with the 1.33ct is just plain ridiculous and I think anyone encouraging this plan should be ashamed of themselves. Or should check their own financial sanity.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Phoenix|1307815282|2943370 said:
luv2sparkle|1307799084|2943216 said:
That looks like an awesome stone Phoenix! I don't know how you not set it and wear it though! I will wear it for you, if you want.

Thank you, luv2sparkle. Setting is quite expensive though, ya'know. Hey, maybe you can ask Jon if he could let you come and play with it once in a while? :wink2:

you know, I am heading to NY in just a couple of weeks, so I am sure I could manage a trip to Long Island and GOG! Excuse me, Jon, I would like to drool over Ms Phoenix's 1.33 Octavia please. Of course, she said I could!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Green with Envy|1307826889|2943534 said:
I am not trying to be mean... but I have to agree with Kenny. I have not posted in a long time and consider myself a lurker now. But this thread I found so disturbing that I had to comment.

I DO understand you are having a difficult time saving enough money for a 6 ct stone because this will take along time and you need some sort of "fix" sooner than you can save for the big stone. Ok. I get that. And I do appreciate that you are at least honest with yourself that you have no self control or will power.

I see you are trying to justify your decisions with this illogical strategy about exchange rates/ trade up value, yadda yadda yadda. Deep down you know that is bogus and the truth is that you just have no idea how to save money. Your desires for stones are insatiable and your inability to put limits on urges of immediate gratification are similar to those with serious addictions.

I know this is a jewelry forum and we all should just say how happy we are that you bought a nice stone and are planning to upgrade for another.

However I just had to say that on a psychological level I feel really sad for your situation and am shocked that others think this strategy is sound. I see you have contributed a lot to this forum and you seem to have made some friends on this board.

If I were you- I would want a friend to check I and say... Are you OK??? Because this idea you have with the 1.33ct is just plain ridiculous and I think anyone encouraging this plan should be ashamed of themselves. Or should check their own financial sanity.

Blah blah blah. Who is anyone to judge? If it works for phoenix, let her do it! Really, ashamed of ourselves? I somehow don't think the price of that diamond is going to be the ruination of Phoenix.

you go girl, just don't forget to post pictures when the time comes!

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I think some are fixated on the fact that Phoenix won't be wearing her diamond? So many people on PS buy a diamond planning to upgrade shortly thereafter, maybe not as many times but certainly plan to upgrade.I don't really see how this is any different to that. It's obvious Phoenix has a good amount of expendable income so if she wants to 'obsess' on diamonds, that's her choice, no? Most people have an obsession or a weakness and thankfully Phoenix doesn't need to think of the financial repercussions of it.

Up the her what she does with her money IMO.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock

I agree that she can do whatever she wants with her money... but she wants something that she states she not afford right now. (6 ct stone)

It doesn't matter one bit of the price she paid for the 1.33 is not a lot of money for her... the point she made to us is she is using this strategy to SAVE FOR THE FUTURE. I don't care if she is leaving it with GOG, or putting it in a safe at her home. The fact that she will get no pleasure in wearing it- or even seeing it- leads me to my opinion (yes- it is my opinion and I understand if others disagree) that Phoenix will ultimately be unsatisfied yet again.

If the woman wants to save enough money to buy a 6 ct stone- I am just saying that the financial idea of saving for this 6 ct stone is to buy a less expensive stone to hold for the trade in value is a bizarre way of going about it.

People ask ALL THE TIME on PS if it makes sense to buy a stone for investment purposes and they are told constantly by experts that the answer is NO.

Buying this 1.33 is just another short term fix for Phoenix- some sort of instant gratification and the excitement will be lost within days of the purchase, just like a lot of other purchases she admits to making.

Technically I guess the strategy could work in the end... but I am willing to bet that the purchase of this 1.33 stone does NOT directly lead to the 6 ct stone of her dreams. There are too many flaws in the rationale.

I don't care if Phoenix has only pennies to her name, or billions of dollars. She constantly asks for feedback and opinions about what to buy, what to do, etc. and I am merely someone who is trying to point out a more sane perspective than "Go for it! Throw your money away! What does it matter- you have lots more! I don't care if you are never happy since I don't even really know you! Just show us the pictures!"

The rah rah attitude about everything from fugly ebay purchases to insatiable upgrades is something that sucks about PS, just my own opinion.

The more I think about it- the more insane this idea becomes. She is actually going to even fork out more money to insure the stone? It is like investing in the stock market and getting a stock certificate because she is not getting the stone, just a piece of paper. She already knows upfront that this stock investment will not even grow .001%, and on top of that, she will lose a little bit of principle every year with this investment because she will spend extra money for the Chubb insurance. As if GOG doesn't spend thousands on insurance for the stones in the store already.

And all of this to admit she just has to hide the money from herself! Give it to someone else to hold because I can't control myself with cash? And now I am LOCKED into buying a more expensive item with only one specific store?

SMART. Great idea. Brilliant.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Green with Envy - I don't really understand why this is "bizarre" - basically, Phoenix is buying a stone with plans to upgrade in the near future. People here on PS do this all the time. In fact, people choose vendors with the best upgrade policies. Many people purchase their first stone with the intent of upgrading down the road. To me, that's all Phoenix is doing. She's not doing this as an investment, per se - she doesn't plan on making money from this, it's just a way to ensure that her money is ear-marked for her diamond. What's wrong with admitting that it's hard for her to save money? I think that's true for many of us. I find her honesty refreshing - sometimes the "holier than thou" attitude of some PS'ers makes me go :rolleyes:

I don't understand the hostility in your posts - why does it bother you that Phoenix enjoys diamonds and chooses to spend her money on them? What's it to you? I don't think you know enough about Phoenix to offer a psychological profile on her, or to infer there's something wrong with her.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Phoenix -another idea - will GOG take your 2.5 BGD pendant as a trade to add to this project? You don't seem particularly in love with it, aside from it being another sparkly in your collection - and it's a lovely stone, one GOG may be interested in acquiring...

Fantastic choice on the Octavia - maybe a 6ct Octavia is in the books afterall ;))

My 2c on the tangent - I've done the gift card thing, to save for something and remove temptation to use those funds for some other unnecessity - it does help me focus! DH does it too. So if Phoenix wants to use sparkly gift cards of gigantic denominations - well, I think it's pretty obvious that this Octavia purchase is not the financial sacrifice for her, in her situation, that it would be for others. Just get that 2.5 on your finger (it is really criminal to not even *see* it!) before prices triple :-o

happybear

Shiny_Rock

I see what Green with Envy is trying to say and meant well.

It is the insatiable need to purchase diamonds and the inability to save that is the issue here. Phoenix, no doubt, has the money. But to resort to buying a stone as a hedge for further upgrade is rather disturbing. What then can stop her from lusting something even bigger than 6ct after she has attain that?

Yes, many here buy a diamond hoping to upgrade it in the future. But usually we buy the stone we love and can't wait to get it set so that we can admire it everyday. This case, however, Phoenix doesn't even wish to see it in person and plan to upgrade by end of the year, ie 6 months time. This seems rather puzzling to me.

It is true the savings interest rate in Singapore is rather pathetic. I live in Singapore too. But for someone of Phoenix stature, she could easily be an accredited investor and this would open up more investment opportunities available that would yield higher returns. Certain short-term bonds can yield 3-4% interest in a year, with longer term ones yielding more.

Then again, I understand this is a personal choice and we are in no position to say what she is doing is right or wrong. We can just point out some rational that others may not have realized.

Just my 2cts....

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

before you guys jump all over Phoenix's back i'll let you ladies in on a little secret. this Octavia is my BD gift from Phoenix,thanks Phoenix..i love the Octavia "FIRE".. :love: :appl: ..now i need to call Jon to pick out my setting.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock

Mmmm... soooo DREAMY!

luckky

Shiny_Rock

Dancing Fire|1307843418|2943724 said:
before you guys jump all over Phoenix's back i'll let you ladies in on a little secret. this Octavia is my BD gift from Phoenix,thanks Phoenix..i love the Octavia "FIRE".. :love: :appl: ..now i need to call Jon to pick out my setting.

You are so FUNNY DT ! LOL (follow you on other posts too, your fan club) :)

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Some people care enough to write in even with the same points but using a different kind of language/ words. This, I'm not going to respond to.

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock

You truly are living up to your username. Enough said.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Zoe|1307823133|2943488 said:
I've read the whole thread and I still don't quite get the logic. I do think, however, that you've got one gorgeous Octavia!

I know, it must seem strange to some of you. as I've already said.

One thing I haven't mentioned yet is that when I enquired with Jon some time ago about cutting a stone to my specs. He said that I would need to put down a deposit (I forget how much/ what percentage). I guess this is no different to that. My next stone would be a 2-2.5ct I-J coloured SI clarity (eye-clean), preferably with strong fluor. There's no such Octavia in stock and for sure Jon would have to search for the rough first and have it cut.

Thank you abt yr compliment re the Octavia. It is gorgeous, isn't it?! :love:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I applaud Green for having a dissenting opinion, and not that Green needs me to say this, but I'm fairly certain she's not speaking from a place of envy, DiaDiva.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

herekittykitty|1307817355|2943406 said:
Honestly, it doesn't seem like such a bad plan to me since the stock market is starting to decline and interest rates are crap. Can't wait to see your 6 ct one day!

Thank you! :)) I agree on the interest rates, our investments tend to comprise of things other than simple savings accounts, though of course we do have a couple of such a/cs, for (emergency) access, not really for savings/ growth purposes and certainly not for holding over just a few months. Simple savings accounts or bonds esp. when held short term, even those offshore accounts where they offer 3% or more (AUD accounts offer quite a bit more though the AUD is very high right now), generally are not great savings/ investment vehicles, imho.

I can't wait to see the 6ct either! :appl:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

luv2sparkle|1307827346|2943536 said:
Phoenix|1307815282|2943370 said:
luv2sparkle|1307799084|2943216 said:
That looks like an awesome stone Phoenix! I don't know how you not set it and wear it though! I will wear it for you, if you want.

Thank you, luv2sparkle. Setting is quite expensive though, ya'know. Hey, maybe you can ask Jon if he could let you come and play with it once in a while? :wink2:

you know, I am heading to NY in just a couple of weeks, so I am sure I could manage a trip to Long Island and GOG! Excuse me, Jon, I would like to drool over Ms Phoenix's 1.33 Octavia please. Of course, she said I could!

He he! :bigsmile:

Actually, that's not a bad idea at all. I'd love to hear your opinion of it once you've seen it in person. Really, please?

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock

athenaworth|1307857954|2943860 said:
I applaud Green for having a dissenting opinion, and not that Green needs me to say this, but I'm fairly certain she's not speaking from a place of envy, DiaDiva.

Dissenting views are to be applauded and diversity is what makes life interesting but there is no need to be insulting.

"However I just had to say that on a psychological level I feel really sad for your situation and am shocked that others think this strategy is sound. I see you have contributed a lot to this forum and you seem to have made some friends on this board.

If I were you- I would want a friend to check I and say... Are you OK???"

Others have disagreed without questioning the soundness of Phoenix's mental state.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Deia|1307828063|2943545 said:
I think some are fixated on the fact that Phoenix won't be wearing her diamond? So many people on PS buy a diamond planning to upgrade shortly thereafter, maybe not as many times but certainly plan to upgrade.I don't really see how this is any different to that. It's obvious Phoenix has a good amount of expendable income so if she wants to 'obsess' on diamonds, that's her choice, no? Most people have an obsession or a weakness and thankfully Phoenix doesn't need to think of the financial repercussions of it.

Up the her what she does with her money IMO.

That is EXACTLY right! :appl: I thought about that too, but refrained from posting it, cos it'd seem like I'm using other people to justify my position, not that I'd need to justify to others. But as mentioned, I do appreciate some people (like Kenny) who are caring and are genuinely puzzled and thus write in to enquire/ express their concern. To those PS'ers, I do thank you and can assure you that I *do* actually know what I'm doing/ or at peace with my decision :))

Thank you.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

junebug17|1307838399|2943661 said:
Green with Envy - I don't really understand why this is "bizarre" - basically, Phoenix is buying a stone with plans to upgrade in the near future. People here on PS do this all the time. In fact, people choose vendors with the best upgrade policies. Many people purchase their first stone with the intent of upgrading down the road. To me, that's all Phoenix is doing. She's not doing this as an investment, per se - she doesn't plan on making money from this, it's just a way to ensure that her money is ear-marked for her diamond. What's wrong with admitting that it's hard for her to save money? I think that's true for many of us. I find her honesty refreshing - sometimes the "holier than thou" attitude of some PS'ers makes me go :rolleyes:

I don't understand the hostility in your posts - why does it bother you that Phoenix enjoys diamonds and chooses to spend her money on them? What's it to you? I don't think you know enough about Phoenix to offer a psychological profile on her, or to infer there's something wrong with her.

Thank you, junebug. I agree with everything you've said. :appl:

I do actually save money and invest, for our retirement and future purposes. It's just hard to save towards such a large bling purchase, much easier to do it in baby steps.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie|1307838719|2943663 said:
Phoenix -another idea - will GOG take your 2.5 BGD pendant as a trade to add to this project? You don't seem particularly in love with it, aside from it being another sparkly in your collection - and it's a lovely stone, one GOG may be interested in acquiring...

Fantastic choice on the Octavia - maybe a 6ct Octavia is in the books afterall ;))

My 2c on the tangent - I've done the gift card thing, to save for something and remove temptation to use those funds for some other unnecessity - it does help me focus! DH does it too. So if Phoenix wants to use sparkly gift cards of gigantic denominations - well, I think it's pretty obvious that this Octavia purchase is not the financial sacrifice for her, in her situation, that it would be for others. Just get that 2.5 on your finger (it is really criminal to not even *see* it!) before prices triple :-o

Yes, a 6ct Octavia is not a bad idea at all, is it?! :wink2: :))

Hmmmm, not a bad idea to ask Jon either abt the pendant. It'd depend on what he can offer....though I suspect that he won't buy it as a trade-in, merely to offer to have it put on consignment, which is what I was planning to ask Grace at JbEG to do (she's a sweetheart btw). DH told me that I should just keep the pendant since I got such a good price for it (well before the recent price increases) and he did mention that I don't have any pendant and should have one, he he! He's well trained, that one! :cheeky:

I was thinking also that the 2.6ct (after I'm done wearing it as a pendant) would make a nice centre piece for my future Riviere, and I do plan to have that at some point as I do wear (pearl) necklaces and would love a Riviere made up with BGD diamonds to go with my evening / ball gowns (though this project would be much much later down the road, after this Octavia project).

Thank you, Yssie. And abt the 2.5ct Octavia, yes ma'am! :bigsmile:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

DF, the eternal clown! :bigsmile:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

DiaDiva|1307858470|2943863 said:
athenaworth|1307857954|2943860 said:

Dissenting views are to be applauded and diversity is what makes life interesting but there is no need to be insulting.

"However I just had to say that on a psychological level I feel really sad for your situation and am shocked that others think this strategy is sound. I see you have contributed a lot to this forum and you seem to have made some friends on this board.

If I were you- I would want a friend to check I and say... Are you OK???"

Others have disagreed without questioning the soundness of Phoenix's mental state.

Don't waste your breath, DiaDiva. Thank you, though. You're a sweetheart. XOXO

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ninama|1307852396|2943805 said:
Mmmm... soooo DREAMY!

Thank you, Ninama. :))

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Phoenix|1307860754|2943880 said:

DF, the eternal clown! :bigsmile:

they will be so jealous of my new ring,just don't tell your husband ... ;)) my best BD gift ever!!... :love:

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium

DiaDiva|1307857293|2943852 said:

You truly are living up to your username. Enough said.

+1...My thoughts exactly Dia Diva...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results