carat
color
clarity

1.33ct Octavia - My first baby step towards a 6ct asscher

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: 1.33ct Octavia - My first baby step towards a 6ct assche

Phoenix, don't forget to put in your will that GOG owes you X dollars and put paperwork proof in a safe place.
God forbid anything happens to you, but just in case. :wink2:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think one of the best things about PS is that people can come here and get NICE comments about their 'fugly' ebay purchases, Ms.
Green with envy. You don't have to comment on something you don't like. No ones forcing you! We all share a love of sparklies not
the exact same taste.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Phoenix, I just thought of some other stuff. . .

Good aspects of what you are doing:
1. When you do trade up there is NO chance GOG can reject the diamond as being damaged since it never left their possession.
2. It can't get lost or stolen while in your possession or in the mail.
3. No shipping fees or duty/customs/taxes
4. You do not have to pay to insure it

Actually, instead of putting that 1.33 Octavia on hold, I would make that money downpayment towards my 6-ct Octavia.
That way someone else may be able to buy and enjoy it and I would feel one step closer to that Rock of Ages.
It would also sort of seal the deal on the 6-ct.

BTW, have you considered a blue or pink Octavia diamond? :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:
I would give my left . . . . . . oh never mind. :oops:

bethprov

Shiny_Rock

Phoenix|1307860013|2943877 said:
Yssie|1307838719|2943663 said:
Phoenix -another idea - will GOG take your 2.5 BGD pendant as a trade to add to this project? You don't seem particularly in love with it, aside from it being another sparkly in your collection - and it's a lovely stone, one GOG may be interested in acquiring...

Fantastic choice on the Octavia - maybe a 6ct Octavia is in the books afterall ;))

My 2c on the tangent - I've done the gift card thing, to save for something and remove temptation to use those funds for some other unnecessity - it does help me focus! DH does it too. So if Phoenix wants to use sparkly gift cards of gigantic denominations - well, I think it's pretty obvious that this Octavia purchase is not the financial sacrifice for her, in her situation, that it would be for others. Just get that 2.5 on your finger (it is really criminal to not even *see* it!) before prices triple :-o

Yes, a 6ct Octavia is not a bad idea at all, is it?! :wink2: :))

Hmmmm, not a bad idea to ask Jon either abt the pendant. It'd depend on what he can offer....though I suspect that he won't buy it as a trade-in, merely to offer to have it put on consignment, which is what I was planning to ask Grace at JbEG to do (she's a sweetheart btw). DH told me that I should just keep the pendant since I got such a good price for it (well before the recent price increases) and he did mention that I don't have any pendant and should have one, he he! He's well trained, that one! :cheeky:

I was thinking also that the 2.6ct (after I'm done wearing it as a pendant) would make a nice centre piece for my future Riviere, and I do plan to have that at some point as I do wear (pearl) necklaces and would love a Riviere made up with BGD diamonds to go with my evening / ball gowns (though this project would be much much later down the road, after this Octavia project).

Thank you, Yssie. And abt the 2.5ct Octavia, yes ma'am! :bigsmile:

Ummm, can you please explain to me how this happens to a man, you are my hero !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Phoenix|1307858300|2943862 said:
luv2sparkle|1307827346|2943536 said:
Phoenix|1307815282|2943370 said:
luv2sparkle|1307799084|2943216 said:
That looks like an awesome stone Phoenix! I don't know how you not set it and wear it though! I will wear it for you, if you want.

Thank you, luv2sparkle. Setting is quite expensive though, ya'know. Hey, maybe you can ask Jon if he could let you come and play with it once in a while? :wink2:

you know, I am heading to NY in just a couple of weeks, so I am sure I could manage a trip to Long Island and GOG! Excuse me, Jon, I would like to drool over Ms Phoenix's 1.33 Octavia please. Of course, she said I could!

He he! :bigsmile:

Actually, that's not a bad idea at all. I'd love to hear your opinion of it once you've seen it in person. Really, please?

I live on Long Island and have visited GOG occasionally. I saw this diamond awhile ago and holy cow they are like nothing else!!!! I will say though, I would like this stone much better in bigger sizes. It will look different in a 2+ size than it does in a 1+ size. The facets are so intricate that it will be easier to make out and appreciate the pattern in a larger size. As it is in the smaller size it is a dizzying ball of sparkle and fire!

I know you don't want to waste the money on shipping, but I at least hope you can get a nice video of it that you can enjoy when you want to "see" your diamond! If you would like a lady to model it for you with their hands let me know and I can head out to GOG to be a video model for you, lol. I only live about 20 min away!

Either way, enjoy it and do post pics when you get the next upgrade!

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

What a gorgeous stone! GOG never fails, do they? Congrats to you and good luck on your journey to a 6 ct stone. I just want to add that as pricescopers, we all have a different view of diamonds and jewelry than the rest of the population. I don't think any of us are psychologically unstable because of that. :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Phoenix -another idea - will GOG take your 2.5 BGD pendant as a trade to add to this project? You don't seem particularly in love with it, aside from it being another sparkly in your collection - and it's a lovely stone, one GOG may be interested in acquiring...

Fantastic choice on the Octavia - maybe a 6ct Octavia is in the books afterall ;))

My 2c on the tangent - I've done the gift card thing, to save for something and remove temptation to use those funds for some other unnecessity - it does help me focus! DH does it too. So if Phoenix wants to use sparkly gift cards of gigantic denominations - well, I think it's pretty obvious that this Octavia purchase is not the financial sacrifice for her, in her situation, that it would be for others. Just get that 2.5 on your finger (it is really criminal to not even *see* it!) before prices triple :-o

Yes, a 6ct Octavia is not a bad idea at all, is it?! :wink2: :))

Hmmmm, not a bad idea to ask Jon either abt the pendant. It'd depend on what he can offer....though I suspect that he won't buy it as a trade-in, merely to offer to have it put on consignment, which is what I was planning to ask Grace at JbEG to do (she's a sweetheart btw). DH told me that I should just keep the pendant since I got such a good price for it (well before the recent price increases) and he did mention that I don't have any pendant and should have one, he he! He's well trained, that one! :cheeky:

I was thinking also that the 2.6ct (after I'm done wearing it as a pendant) would make a nice centre piece for my future Riviere, and I do plan to have that at some point as I do wear (pearl) necklaces and would love a Riviere made up with BGD diamonds to go with my evening / ball gowns (though this project would be much much later down the road, after this Octavia project).

Thank you, Yssie. And abt the 2.5ct Octavia, yes ma'am! :bigsmile:

I think I would consign with Jon, or at least look into it. I suspect that people are more willing to spend large sums with GOG and perhaps they have a larger consumer audience? From what I can tell, if you did consign, it would be part of their regular inventory and buyers would come accross it in the usual way when they search the site. I feel like you might stand a better chance selling in that scenerio.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock

I find Phoenix reasoning completely logical. It seems to me that some people don't get that Phoenix is not doing this for investment purposes. There is a large emotional component in this plan to achieve her 6 ct goal. If I am not mistaken Phoenix enjoys the whole process of looking, thinking and actual buying of her jewelry. By doing it this way she gets to enjoy the process several times while at the same time saving up to her goal.

Additionally, for the next upgrade which does not seem to be to far down the road she will also get to enjoy the stones during the time she saves up and she will know for certain if an asscher is for her.

Both of these emotional components more than make up for the interest rate her money could be earning if invested otherwise. Phoenix seems like one smart cookie to me and I am sure that she does not spend all her surplus cash on jewelry. Some people like to drive a new car every year, others like to buy jewelry. Just because a person comes from a different environment than you do and makes other choices than the ones you would make does not give anyone the right to say nasty things.

Phoenix- I can not wait to which stone you will pick out next. Are you going to try some warmer combos to see if you like them?

Sam121

Rough_Rock

Phoenix,

i totally understand how you feel. typically I try to save up for large purchases as well, but it takes a lot of self control not to buy anything in the meantime, especially if that purchase requires several years of saving, and I end up feeling frustrated or the money gets spent elsewhere! This seems like a novel way to satiate your need for bling and putting money away for that 6ct asscher, and kudos for you to owning up to it and trying to find a way to work around it. Please post some videos if you can, your octavia looks absolutely yummy!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ha, I like this plan! I think it's especially hard to save up for something frivolous vs. saving for a house or retirement. (Not that diamonds are frivolous, of course! :cheeky: )

My only issue with your plan is that you don't get to see it! But with shipping and customs costs for you I guess it makes more sense to leave it there. I hope you get your 2.5 Octavia soon-I can't wait to see that one actually set!

omc111

Rough_Rock

In my opinion, it's not up to us to judge anyone else. I, for one, have my hands full keeping my own brain straight. I can't imagine trying to analyze someone else's!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

omc111|1307996842|2944951 said:
In my opinion, it's not up to us to judge anyone else. I, for one, have my hands full keeping my own brain straight. I can't imagine trying to analyze someone else's!

^^^^THIS!
Whatever Phoenix wants to do is none of mine (or anybody else's) business. I DO enjoy looking at that gorgeous Octavia, though, so I hope that someone gets some handshots of it!

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock

Green with envy was just voicing her concern. I read it as just that, concern. It would have been one thing to just post the "here's my new diamond" but the story behind it was what struck a chord. On a diamond board, this might seem like a plan but in the real world, anything to an extreme is out of the norm. I think anyone who's read a lot of posts could see that and be worried. But since this is not a psychology board, I'll refrain from pointing out the obvious problems with this train of thought(or the many many many other ones that prevailed before this). I guess it's not appropriate to show concern for someone you don't know and just hope that someday, they'll find the happiness they think they are constantly looking for eventually.

A pretty diamond is always worth taking a look at though and an asscher is so breathtakingly beautiful, even if it's one the person will never possess, it still is worth clicking on the link. It just seemed out of place on Show Me the Bling. The one that sold at auction was seriously, the prettiest ring I've ever seen on here.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

makemepretty|1308014442|2945200 said:
Green with envy was just voicing her concern. I read it as just that, concern. It would have been one thing to just post the "here's my new diamond" but the story behind it was what struck a chord. On a diamond board, this might seem like a plan but in the real world, anything to an extreme is out of the norm. I think anyone who's read a lot of posts could see that and be worried. But since this is not a psychology board, I'll refrain from pointing out the obvious problems with this train of thought(or the many many many other ones that prevailed before this). I guess it's not appropriate to show concern for someone you don't know and just hope that someday, they'll find the happiness they think they are constantly looking for eventually.

A pretty diamond is always worth taking a look at though and an asscher is so breathtakingly beautiful, even if it's one the person will never possess, it still is worth clicking on the link. It just seemed out of place on Show Me the Bling. The one that sold at auction was seriously, the prettiest ring I've ever seen on here.

Great armchair psychology, particularly the part bolded, and you are showing great restraint! :appl:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock

Well I'm not ashamed to say I'm a little bit 'green with envy'. I accept whatever you feel is right for you to do in acquiring your 6 c'er. Is there a thread with pictures of your blingies that everyone keeps referring to? :naughty:

What a beautiful stone! :love: I will be eagerly waiting for the day when I get to see your 6ct asscher.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock

What a beautiful stone and a neat plan! I completely get where you are coming from---I have a hard time refraining from spending my "play money" and just blew my diamond stud fund shopping this weekend. Looks like I'll have to wait til next month to get them!!

Question, when you do get your 6c honker--will it be sent overseas??? I would be terrified of it getting lost!!!

Congrats on a beautiful stone (regardless if you wear it now or not) and I look foward to seeing the 1st upgrade :D

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Phoenix, I actually can relate somewhat to your plan :bigsmile:

I have been hankering for the longest time for a full eternity ring with 25-30pt stones, and seem to acquire other 'stuff' along the way, but the money I save for things like shinies just seems to be eaten up by other stuff... who knows what, but it just does!! (lbbaber, I'm hearin' ya! :cheeky:) I've just paid for, and am waiting for delivery of, a full eternity from IDJ with 10 pointers, and the plan is to upgrade until I reach the desired size. That way the money's locked away and I can save the next 'installment' with more ease and enjoy knowing the bling is growing! Kind of like a loooong layby :wink2:

Your Octavia is absolutely phenomenal :love: :love: :love:

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock

Congrats on being one step closer to your dream stone!

I get your plan, because it is alot more fun than plunking money into an account. There is always the temptation to spend it on something else. Not just more bling, but practical things. This way its committed to diamond, plus you get to look around and have fun during the process.

Objectively it may not be the best way out there to save for a diamond, but its the way you decided was best for you. I wouldn't think one's "diamond money" is something that is going to make or break you. If it is, you shouldn't be spending it on diamonds.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you to everyone who's shown support and given me your congratulations. I'm very happy that you're joining me in my bling-fest joy. Thank you, thank you! PS rocks and (most) PS'ers are the best! :)) :))

To those that are expressing concern, I appreciate it. I have my own reasons for doing what I do - whether or not you agree or understand what I do. To express concern is one thing (and I sincerely appreciate those who are tactful and kind in your comments), but to start psycho-analysing me and calling me mentally unstable - esp. when you and I are complete strangers - is a bit much, don't you think?! I am a lady and will behave accordingly; and that's all I'm going to say.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Begonia|1308021562|2945277 said:
Well I'm not ashamed to say I'm a little bit 'green with envy'. I accept whatever you feel is right for you to do in acquiring your 6 c'er. Is there a thread with pictures of your blingies that everyone keeps referring to? :naughty:
Thank you.
<---------------Click on "all user's topics" (see left hand side) and you can see all my threads, with some referring to my own bling and those that I lust after! :wink2:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1307887814|2943999 said:
Phoenix, I just thought of some other stuff. . .

Good aspects of what you are doing:
1. When you do trade up there is NO chance GOG can reject the diamond as being damaged since it never left their possession.
2. It can't get lost or stolen while in your possession or in the mail.
3. No shipping fees or duty/customs/taxes
4. You do not have to pay to insure it

Actually, instead of putting that 1.33 Octavia on hold, I would make that money downpayment towards my 6-ct Octavia.
That way someone else may be able to buy and enjoy it and I would feel one step closer to that Rock of Ages.
It would also sort of seal the deal on the 6-ct.

BTW, have you considered a blue or pink Octavia diamond? :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:
I would give my left . . . . . . oh never mind. :oops:

Kenny, you're a sweetie! :))

1, 2, 3, 4 - all checked (actually for 4, it's already part of my homeowner's insurance).

I can't just purchase a 6ct, not just like that! 8) but believe me, if I could, I'd love to.

Yummm, now you've got me drooling - I'm absolutely madly crazily unbelievably...(how many adjectives can I use, he he : ;-) ) smitten with pink diamonds . Wow, can you imagine... a 6ct pink Octavia diamond!! I don't even think I dare dream abt it!! :lickout: :lickout: :loopy:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

bethprov|1307889491|2944019 said:
Phoenix -). DH told me that I should just keep the pendant since I got such a good price for it (well before the recent price increases) and he did mention that I don't have any pendant and should have one, he he! He's well trained, that one! :cheeky:e:

Ummm, can you please explain to me how this happens to a man, you are my hero !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eerrhh, actually I don't really know . I think he just gives up fighting the monster and now he's completely brain-washed! ;-) :D

Ya'know what? I didn't even like diamonds before (I know, totally blasphemous!! 8) ). I never wore any, even returned the ones my mom gave me back to her. DH bought me my first diamond after that and then a string of pearls and then afterwards, it was like the floodgate just opened, ha ha!!

ETA: I know I know. It's living in Asia (esp Hong Kong and Singapore) and being part of PS. Yeah, that's right, I've got to blame someone else for my bling addiction, right?!! He he... :wink2: :devil:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

[quote="Asscherhalo_lover|1307891633|2944045"I live on Long Island and have visited GOG occasionally. I saw this diamond awhile ago and holy cow they are like nothing else!!!! I will say though, I would like this stone much better in bigger sizes. It will look different in a 2+ size than it does in a 1+ size. The facets are so intricate that it will be easier to make out and appreciate the pattern in a larger size. As it is in the smaller size it is a dizzying ball of sparkle and fire!

I know you don't want to waste the money on shipping, but I at least hope you can get a nice video of it that you can enjoy when you want to "see" your diamond! If you would like a lady to model it for you with their hands let me know and I can head out to GOG to be a video model for you, lol. I only live about 20 min away!

Either way, enjoy it and do post pics when you get the next upgrade![/quote]

Thank you for that offer. I'd absolutely LOVE for you to ask Jon to shoot a video of you hand-modelling this baby for me, please.

I've actually already asked Jon when I first purchased the stone. He hasn't got back to me yet but I think he's on vacation. Just pls show him this thread and ask him to do it. Thank you.

I've been thinking actually. Maybe afterwards, I should have Jon release the diamond back into inventory (just to stop some people nagging at me, errhhh, Kenny? :)) ) and then have GOG write me a deposit memo, but def we should have a video done first of this baby.

Grace (at JbEG) has also told me that larger asschers show off the facets better. I hope to be able to see a 2.5ct Octavia IRL at some point, sooner than later.

ETA: I see I've totally messed up the quote function! :-o

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

natascha|1307910024|2944204 said:
I find Phoenix reasoning completely logical. It seems to me that some people don't get that Phoenix is not doing this for investment purposes. There is a large emotional component in this plan to achieve her 6 ct goal. If I am not mistaken Phoenix enjoys the whole process of looking, thinking and actual buying of her jewelry. By doing it this way she gets to enjoy the process several times while at the same time saving up to her goal.

Additionally, for the next upgrade which does not seem to be to far down the road she will also get to enjoy the stones during the time she saves up and she will know for certain if an asscher is for her.

Both of these emotional components more than make up for the interest rate her money could be earning if invested otherwise. Phoenix seems like one smart cookie to me and I am sure that she does not spend all her surplus cash on jewelry. Some people like to drive a new car every year, others like to buy jewelry. Just because a person comes from a different environment than you do and makes other choices than the ones you would make does not give anyone the right to say nasty things.

Phoenix- I can not wait to which stone you will pick out next. Are you going to try some warmer combos to see if you like them?

Thank you for your kind words. That is EXACTLY the thinking behind my plan. I do indeed enjoy the whole process of looking, thinking, re-thinking and buying of bling. This way, I do indeed get to do it several times over and several times the enjoyment.

As for the next upgrade, I've asked Jon for a 2.5ct I or J (with medium or preferably strong blue fluor). I'd like to try out the warmer colours (hopefully helped by the fluor) and mostly I'd get the size that I'd like/ that I'd actually put in a setting and wear; and at the same time taking my own sweet time thinking about the cut and see if it suits me.

CushionCutie

Rough_Rock

I find this plan genius. She's upgrading her way to her dream diamond. In fact, I think it's proactive more than anything.

So Phoenix, you can do with your money what you like. True luxury is doing what you want when you want, and you are doing just that.

affguy

Shiny_Rock

I think people are just criticizing the theory (which is admittedly somewhat odd), without running the actual numbers. For the sake of easy math, let's assume a 1.3 I VS1 octavia runs somwhere in the ballpark of $10k. If there's an upgrade to 2.5ish planned for sometime this year, we can also reasonably assume a term of <6 months, which limits investment vehicles substantially, to either low rates or high risk. If we're risk intolerant and go with a simple savings account, earning somewhere in the neighborhood of 3% interest, she's giving up around $150 in opportunity lost. For that cost, she gets the "bang" of buying a new sparkly twice instead of just once, and during those 6 months, the enjoyment of looking at pictures of *her* octavia rather than simply looking at her account balance. If the upgrade happens sooner than 6 months, or exchange rate is less favorable in 6 months, it'll end up having cost her even less. Bottom line - we're talking about a fairly trivial "fee" to purchase 6 months of something more enjoyable than a bank statement. I waste more money on less all the time.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock

Phoenix, first, congrats on the Octavia, it really is a gorgeous cut! And second, I look forward to seeing all the milestones you buy on the way to your ultimate goal!

It's obvious you've given this a lot of thought and it's what you're most comfortable with, so I say good for you! I'm a saver and always feel a sense of accomplishment when I reach a particular financial goal and I can see how each successive upgrade would be that for you. It's the same thing, just a different way of going about it. Good luck!

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock

DandiAndi|1308027589|2945351 said:
Phoenix, I actually can relate somewhat to your plan :bigsmile:

I have been hankering for the longest time for a full eternity ring with 25-30pt stones, and seem to acquire other 'stuff' along the way, but the money I save for things like shinies just seems to be eaten up by other stuff... who knows what, but it just does!! (lbbaber, I'm hearin' ya! :cheeky:) I've just paid for, and am waiting for delivery of, a full eternity from IDJ with 10 pointers, and the plan is to upgrade until I reach the desired size. That way the money's locked away and I can save the next 'installment' with more ease and enjoy knowing the bling is growing! Kind of like a loooong layby :wink2:

Your Octavia is absolutely phenomenal :love: :love: :love:

Oh YAY!! I am SOOO glad you ordered it! We seem to be on the same plan :bigsmile:

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock

It appears to be available for purchase again. Wonder what happened.

I would have used the 9K in the futures or currency markets and traded my way to the big rock as opposed to this plan. But I know that not everyone can or wants to do that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results