shape
carat
color
clarity

“Imperial Jade” cabochon: did I make the right call

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Icy, did you say you saw these in person. SO GORGEOUS!
Yea in person.

I recall being surprised that “imperial jadeite” is such a bright green - a bit more yellow than I thought what imperial jadeite should look but it could have been due to the lighting in the store since I didn’t dare to bring it out to see in natural light.

Think was mid 5 figs in sgd for the set (ring and earrings) about 2 years ago.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Apparently Awethentic jadeite in Melbourne (or wherever the stocks really come from) charge prices in USD, so this “imperial” cabochon they showed me is meant to be around U$40K.
1D328EF2-1EBF-495B-972B-3AF3D4388E1F.png
I wonder what you especially @Silvermom think, but to me doesn’t really look much better in quality over their “emperor green” costing <U$7500 or what Kathys offered for $7000, both of which I posted above.

US $ $ $
woman-fainting.jpg

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
I've recently been introduced to a vendor within Australia (though interstate) working mostly through Facebook, and came across this. Looks either "Imperial Green Jade" or near it, they are terming it "Emperor green", don't know if that's their way of categorising quality very near to but not quite "imperial", or another way of calling something "imperial", the vendor uses both term throughout the Facebook page.. Price is remarkable if legit "Imperial" even if for small cabochon size. What do you think, any good? Sorry again... @Burmesedaze @icy_jade Emperor Green jade.png 193108794_1243871026028533_7455552578756107623_n.jpg 186546331_1243871096028526_3776735658507679531_n.jpg 187808525_1243871056028530_1501095329959286594_n.jpg 190500005_1243871062695196_5215676864325386303_n.jpg

Sydney,so I recently saw on the Awethentic site this beautiful green bead that I love.OMG it was aboput $15,000 USD. Only 13mm. SHEESH! They did have a few pretty cabochons. You could check it out if you are still interested.

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Sydney,so I recently saw on the Awethentic site this beautiful green bead that I love.OMG it was aboput $15,000 USD. Only 13mm. SHEESH! They did have a few pretty cabochons. You could check it out if you are still interested.

I know, keeping an eye on their page in case something nice chugs along…would take one from Kathys over one of theirs if everything is equal though…

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
I know, keeping an eye on their page in case something nice chugs along…would take one from Kathys over one of theirs if everything is equal though…

Definitely too highly priced.

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Definitely too highly priced.

And also much harder to validate their claims, that thing about needing to consider spending >$50K to get an audience have BS alarm going…

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
And also much harder to validate their claims, that thing about needing to consider spending >$50K to get an audience have BS alarm going…

LOL you are right.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock

How do you think they are able to get so many beautiful pieces tho. Do you think they are really Grade A?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
How do you think they are able to get so many beautiful pieces tho. Do you think they are really Grade A?

Possibly if they have the source. I follow this IG for the “auction level” eye candy:

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Possibly if they have the source. I follow this IG for the “auction level” eye candy:

It still is hard for me to be sure tho because it seems that every one of theirs is like EXCEPTIONAL quality. How even can that be possible. It is rare to even have a few like theirs but it seems that they don't even have any average ones. It is even hard to buy one boulder with that kind of quality as every one is a gamble. I am still wondering how. LOL I am just a born skeptic. My bad.

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
It still is hard for me to be sure tho because it seems that every one of theirs is like EXCEPTIONAL quality. How even can that be possible. It is rare to even have a few like theirs but it seems that they don't even have any average ones. It is even hard to buy one boulder with that kind of quality as every one is a gamble. I am still wondering how. LOL I am just a born skeptic. My bad.

They do have average or “inferior” cabochons, there certainly are differences in colour intensity and transparency between 2K and 10K pieces. Above 10K mark, differences are subtle, even personal preferences some people might say…given they allow certification within Australia, I would arrange to have A-grade status confirmed through GSL Sydney if I was to buy anything from them.

Whereas Kathys seem pretty open, they keep urging me to visit in Taiwan (maybe after the pandemic…), and are open about challenges looking for a cabochon meeting my expectations/standard-basically I said I want something they are prepared to label as imperial jade/帝王綠 on their catalogue, which they wouldn’t give to a pair of earrings costing $666K (yes, that’s right number of 6,s). They were upfront about the costs going into 5-digit sums. True, they allow domestic certification only, but I reckon I would trust a decent Taiwanese certification over Australian (at least for jade) or mainland Chinese ones so not too bad…

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

I know my jeweler has a supplier, let’s call the supplier “jade king”, who has the most fabulous stuff.

Like some of the eye candy I posted before. Example say like this one:

0D969B9A-2D12-4EF4-A7EB-C7A869A9BC60.jpeg

And I’ve seen “jade king” take out beautiful pieces from his unassuming crummy looking sling bag.

But of course I trust my jeweler and everything gets certified. But yeah if I strike lottery tomorrow I can certainly go to my jeweler to source for a fabulous ring. I would balk at buying online from some unknown seller though, so totally understand where you are coming from. Not skeptic, just careful!

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
I know my jeweler has a supplier, let’s call the supplier “jade king”, who has the most fabulous stuff.

And I’ve seen “jade king” take out beautiful pieces from his unassuming crummy looking sling bag.

But of course I trust my jeweler and everything gets certified. But yeah if I strike lottery tomorrow I can certainly go to my jeweler to source for a fabulous ring. I would balk at buying online from some unknown seller though, so totally understand where you are coming from. Not skeptic, just careful!

That one is excellent colour, I am just tiny bit uncertain about translucency, maybe “Grand Royal” rather than “Imperial” AIGS

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
That one is excellent colour, I am just tiny bit uncertain about translucency, maybe “Grand Royal” rather than “Imperial” AIGS

Yeah not saying is imperial but for the quality and size, I’ll say it’s a pretty amazing piece.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
They do have average or “inferior” cabochons, there certainly are differences in colour intensity and transparency between 2K and 10K pieces. Above 10K mark, differences are subtle, even personal preferences some people might say…given they allow certification within Australia, I would arrange to have A-grade status confirmed through GSL Sydney if I was to buy anything from them.

Whereas Kathys seem pretty open, they keep urging me to visit in Taiwan (maybe after the pandemic…), and are open about challenges looking for a cabochon meeting my expectations/standard-basically I said I want something they are prepared to label as imperial jade/帝王綠 on their catalogue, which they wouldn’t give to a pair of earrings costing $666K (yes, that’s right number of 6,s). They were upfront about the costs going into 5-digit sums. True, they allow domestic certification only, but I reckon I would trust a decent Taiwanese certification over Australian (at least for jade) or mainland Chinese ones so not too bad…

Even if something were just $10,000 USD, I feel they should still allow in house visits. This would be the big question mark for me.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock

This is beautiful Icy. My jeweler has gorgeous pieces too. But she also has a variety and not all are super high quality. She has a range. It seems though that every piece of Awethentics is unusually high quality and that to me is questionable. The reason why I say this is because I don't think that you are able to know what the boulder/stone you get from the jade auction looks like until after you purchase it and then cut it. So how can all their pieces look so amazing. Unless they buy every piece. I don't know. Wish I knew cos they sure have gorgeous piece but I don't like to gamble. Just a coward.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
This is beautiful Icy. My jeweler has gorgeous pieces too. But she also has a variety and not all are super high quality. She has a range. It seems though that every piece of Awethentics is unusually high quality and that to me is questionable. The reason why I say this is because I don't think that you are able to know what the boulder/stone you get from the jade auction looks like until after you purchase it and then cut it. So how can all their pieces look so amazing. Unless they buy every piece. I don't know. Wish I knew cos they sure have gorgeous piece but I don't like to gamble. Just a coward.

Maybe they just buy from the factory or supplier specific pieces only and not entire boulders? Or did they say that they buy boulders?

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Maybe they just buy from the factory or supplier specific pieces only and not entire boulders? Or did they say that they buy boulders?

They say that they have the boulders. Weird yeah. That is why they say they can custom make items. Maybe I just have to believe that they are legit but some of the things they do is questionable like how Sydney says you have to be a $50,000 item to score a in store visit. Hmmmm

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
They say that they have the boulders. Weird yeah. That is why they say they can custom make items. Maybe I just have to believe that they are legit but some of the things they do is questionable like how Sydney says you have to be a $50,000 item to score a in store visit. Hmmmm

Yeah, I find it hard to drop a few k on a stone without seeing it in real life unless it’s something fairly standard like a diamond. And most vendors I know are ok with irl visits. If they are not then unfortunately I won’t deal with them.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you can get custom made stuff but a lot of the goods that they create an illusion around being "exclusive" to their store is actually just owned by a factory and my vendor stocks it too!

You'll find it very hard to ask for extra photos because it's the same issue where they need to go to the factory for photos and in my case during my enquiries with them, they weren't particularly helpful or willing to get photos. I ain't going to buy stuff I can't see properly!

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, I find it hard to drop a few k on a stone without seeing it in real life unless it’s something fairly standard like a diamond. And most vendors I know are ok with irl visits. If they are not then unfortunately I won’t deal with them.

I think you can get custom made stuff but a lot of the goods that they create an illusion around being "exclusive" to their store is actually just owned by a factory and my vendor stocks it too!

You'll find it very hard to ask for extra photos because it's the same issue where they need to go to the factory for photos and in my case during my enquiries with them, they weren't particularly helpful or willing to get photos. I ain't going to buy stuff I can't see properly!

Yeah, I'm with you ladies. Maybe they are just really good at making their items look good in pictures. LOL I always feel that if you have a good product, why be afraid for it to be shown. What is there to hide.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock

Wait, seriously mellow.... they sell the same stuff as your vendor? Would your vendor be more reasonable? When you see your vendors pictures do they look as nice as the Awethentics ones?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Icy!!!!! Buy that!!!! How can you not buy that!!!!! Buy it!!!!!

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
I know I set up the thread for AJS jade but I ended up getting a heated Burmese ruby, for U$3200. I have to say it’s lovely colour, didn’t know what to expect as it’s my first ruby; while I will run it through a local appraiser to ensure I got the stone they advertised-GRS certificate which classify it as pigeon-blood red is 10 years old-think I am keeping this one unless any surprises! Just can’t figure out a way to take a good photo yet. image.jpg FC42014A-A9BE-423A-92D5-C9F9C00B9481.jpeg

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
So I always had in my bucket list to buy one (or two if possible) “Imperial Jade” cabochons on settings to pass on as heirloom. I previously bought a jade cabochon from a vendor in Melbourne, and while it had lovely deep green tone and decent translucency, it wasn’t up to the level of “Imperial Jade” as I understood it. With the Covid lockdown it’s impossible to travel for gem shopping and decent jade cabochons for sale are far and between online.

There is a small selection of jade cabochons at AJSGems, and a couple had videos that made it look as if it may qualify as “imperial jade” by majority of the market. I have been wondering about why they haven’t been sold all this time, as the certificates go back to 2007, but thought I will discuss the stones with the vendor.

Now they have a real expensive U$135K stone but others of decent quality ranging 5-7.5K, with up to 20% discount. Unfortunately out of four stones in that range only two have decent videos. The vendor did take a photograph with all four stone, after talking back and forth, I settled on the largest and the most expensive of the lot. As I can’t travel to look at the stone in person and I wanted some measure of assurance I’m not buying a total did, I asked the vendor to send the stone for re-certification at AIGS Thailand (as they seem to be one of few that does qualitative certification on jade), and it is happening as we speak. If I’m am to buy the stone after certification, it will come just under $6K after discounts.

So while I am waiting I would like to share the videos and photographs of the stones I was considering and my selection to see if there are reasons for me to back out, paying too much, if there may be good reasons for these stones not selling for almost 15 years. I am hoping to make a ring out of it to pass on as family heirloom and want to ensure it’s “imperial jade” grade.

The first video of a stone held by forceps is the one I ended up choosing, and awaiting AIGS certification. 2.82carat, supposedly of great fine chrome green tone, and excellent translucency

The second video is of the stone that I had considered up to the last minute, it has enchanting colour but the vendor seems to think the colour of the first one is of higher quality or more valuable...

The photo is of all stones I considered for this purchase. The one I ended up choosing is the one on top left, the stone from the second video is on bottom left, whereas the top right is actually more expensive than bottom left but did not have videos and the vendor thought the colour possibly too deep. The bottom right had weird proportions and did not look as good as others.

Well, that's what I have thus far, let me know what you think! All the jade connoisseurs and experts of the World and critique away!

Sydney, So I saw two lavender jadeite beads that I was really interested in and was considering buying it. Asked what the size was and for additional pictures in different lighting. The picture of those beads were just uploaded and yet when I asked for additional pictures they tell me that the beads were just sold to a person that immediately paid the asking price, etc. Yeah right. So I think these Awethentic jadeite people are not really on the up and up. Don't think that I will be bothering them again.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Silvermom I was told no extra photos and that the colour depends on how my monitor is calibrated.

Yeah... Whatever..... No thank you!!!!! Obviously they don't need the business and have enough of a customer base. I'd rather buy from someone who will take the time to answer my questions.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
I know I set up the thread for AJS jade but I ended up getting a heated Burmese ruby, for U$3200. I have to say it’s lovely colour, didn’t know what to expect as it’s my first ruby; while I will run it through a local appraiser to ensure I got the stone they advertised-GRS certificate which classify it as pigeon-blood red is 10 years old-think I am keeping this one unless any surprises! Just can’t figure out a way to take a good photo yet. image.jpg FC42014A-A9BE-423A-92D5-C9F9C00B9481.jpeg

Try to take it out of the box, put it is shaded daylight (not direct, like you are doing), and maybe also use a 10x lense in front of your phone camera.

It’s not perfect but you can get shots like this:

4CA37B1B-0FF4-404F-9F22-C50C17427B43.jpeg

Be careful that the camera doesn’t overexpose too much or you’ll get a brighter color than the stone really is

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results