shape
carat
color
clarity

“Imperial Jade” cabochon: did I make the right call

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
@Silvermom I was told no extra photos and that the colour depends on how my monitor is calibrated.

Yeah... Whatever..... No thank you!!!!! Obviously they don't need the business and have enough of a customer base. I'd rather buy from someone who will take the time to answer my questions.

I was really annoyed because why post if you don't want to sell. I think they don't want to sell if you ask for more pictures because when I asked they said they posted enough pictures already. For other ones that I was interested in tney said don't even bother unless I want to spend at least $15,000 to $20,000 or more. And another piece as going to cost at least $100,000. I think they are dreaming. Who do they sell to anyway?

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
I was really annoyed because why post if you don't want to sell. I think they don't want to sell if you ask for more pictures because when I asked they said they posted enough pictures already. For other ones that I was interested in tney said don't even bother unless I want to spend at least $15,000 to $20,000 or more. And another piece as going to cost at least $100,000. I think they are dreaming. Who do they sell to anyway?

Yeah I think I might give them a fishing bait when they put up kingfisher or emperor jade on either side of $5000 and see what they say but this enterprise look somewhat shady.
Try to take it out of the box, put it is shaded daylight (not direct, like you are doing), and maybe also use a 10x lense in front of your phone camera.

It’s not perfect but you can get shots like this:

4CA37B1B-0FF4-404F-9F22-C50C17427B43.jpeg

Be careful that the camera doesn’t overexpose too much or you’ll get a brighter color than the stone really is

will try…that’s a lovely photo.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Yeah I think I might give them a fishing bait when they put up kingfisher or emperor jade on either side of $5000 and see what they say but this enterprise look somewhat shady.

will try…that’s a lovely photo.

I am disappointed in how many enterprises are really shady. Sigh......

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
I am disappointed in how many enterprises are really shady. Sigh......
Kathys in Taiwan seem to be pretty legit if you have patience to wait out for them to find what you need or decent budget, that’s what I’m doing, if I find semi-decent with this Awethentic crew or AJS that’s semi-interesting, I will also take that and sell my cabochon from May’s.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Kathys in Taiwan seem to be pretty legit if you have patience to wait out for them to find what you need or decent budget, that’s what I’m doing, if I find semi-decent with this Awethentic crew or AJS that’s semi-interesting, I will also take that and sell my cabochon from May’s.

How do I find Kathys? Ebay? or Etsy? When I asked the Awethentics people if the lavender jade bead's color was as vivid and intense in color in person they said no. That is why I asked for additional pictures which they refused by telling me it was already sold to somebody that paid immediately........LOL.

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
How do I find Kathys? Ebay? or Etsy? When I asked the Awethentics people if the lavender jade bead's color was as vivid and intense in color in person they said no. That is why I asked for additional pictures which they refused by telling me it was already sold to somebody that paid immediately........LOL.
Being told an item I was interested in/a similar one was sold immediately is a sales practice I've also come across. I suppose it works on people with FOMO, but I am very patient.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Being told an item I was interested in/a similar one was sold immediately is a sales practice I've also come across. I suppose it works on people with FOMO, but I am very patient.

So irritating tho. Makes you think they never ever had the product and were using it as a teaser to get you to buy something else. Grrrrrrr.....

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
So irritating tho. Makes you think they never ever had the product and were using it as a teaser to get you to buy something else. Grrrrrrr.....

or that its an item they sold in the past and still list it for sale b/c they know it will get inquiries. Irritating indeed.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
or that its an item they sold in the past and still list it for sale b/c they know it will get inquiries. Irritating indeed.
Nasty beyond words. People don't have time to play with sellers. They should at least be honest!
I will stick with my honest, easy to work with, accommodating seller. She is wonderful in every way.

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock

Here. The jewel of their crown, insane pricing though…

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Here. The jewel of their crown, insane pricing though…

Definitely gorgeous. Here is an example of the Awethentics one that they sent me when I asked them to give me an example of their Imperial. $250,000 for this tho.

70E6004D-DB33-4F26-8557-D8B042462BEB.jpeg

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Definitely gorgeous. Here is an example of the Awethentics one that they sent me when I asked them to give me an example of their Imperial. $250,000 for this tho.

70E6004D-DB33-4F26-8557-D8B042462BEB.jpeg

Search up “imperial” on the Awethentic Facebook page, smaller ones are like $15-20K, if you care to believe them.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Search up “imperial” on the Awethentic Facebook page, smaller ones are like $15-20K, if you care to believe them.

Definitely don't believe them. This is before I found out how they really are.

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Definitely don't believe them. This is before I found out how they really are.
Talk to them on Facebook messenger or something, they usually get back by the end of the day, and pretty communicative. Also have eBay shop if you have your mind set on something, but slightly more expensive.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Talk to them on Facebook messenger or something, they usually get back by the end of the day, and pretty communicative. Also have eBay shop if you have your mind set on something, but slightly more expensive.

Will not be talking to them anymore cos I don't believe they are really honest.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Was talking about Kathys, or have you talked to them previously?

Someone told me that Kathys is sort of associated with another company called Koojade on ebay. I find them very overpriced. I am not sure if this info is accurate tho and if they really are associated. I think I will just stick with my trusted seller.

Last edited:

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Someone told me that Kathys is sort of associated with another company called Koojade on ebay. I find them very overpriced. I am not sure if this info is accurate tho and if they really are associated. I think I will just stick with my trusted seller.

Yes, Koojade is ebay version of Kathys and it is somewhat more expensive than Kathys site, I imagine to cover for eBay commission.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Yes, Koojade is ebay version of Kathys and it is somewhat more expensive than Kathys site, I imagine to cover for eBay commission.

The thing that really gets me about Awethentics and why I think they are so sketchy is because practically every single one of their pieces is like amazing quality. With Koojade I know that they are a legit company and although some of their pieces are truly amazing most of them are not and maybe a few are out of this world gorgeous. This to me is a more believable company . That is why I kept asking you what you thought of Awethentics. LOL After communicating with them a bit now I know they are not a company that I would like to deal with.

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
The thing that really gets me about Awethentics and why I think they are so sketchy is because practically every single one of their pieces is like amazing quality. With Koojade I know that they are a legit company and although some of their pieces are truly amazing most of them are not and maybe a few are out of this world gorgeous. This to me is a more believable company . That is why I kept asking you what you thought of Awethentics. LOL After communicating with them a bit now I know they are not a company that I would like to deal with.

Well as I said couple of times I don’t really trust them. I will keep them on notification so I can ask them if anything looks extraordinary, but not with any expectation. Whereas Kathys I am much more serious if they come up with something good.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Well as I said couple of times I don’t really trust them. I will keep them on notification so I can ask them if anything looks extraordinary, but not with any expectation. Whereas Kathys I am much more serious if they come up with something good.

I am so glad that I got your opinion because I think you and I think the same. At first I wasn't sure but luckily I could ask you and now I feel like I am justified to feel this way. Had I not had you to ask I might have gone on forever wondering. So thank you, I appreciate your advice.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
So I always had in my bucket list to buy one (or two if possible) “Imperial Jade” cabochons on settings to pass on as heirloom. I previously bought a jade cabochon from a vendor in Melbourne, and while it had lovely deep green tone and decent translucency, it wasn’t up to the level of “Imperial Jade” as I understood it. With the Covid lockdown it’s impossible to travel for gem shopping and decent jade cabochons for sale are far and between online.

There is a small selection of jade cabochons at AJSGems, and a couple had videos that made it look as if it may qualify as “imperial jade” by majority of the market. I have been wondering about why they haven’t been sold all this time, as the certificates go back to 2007, but thought I will discuss the stones with the vendor.

Now they have a real expensive U$135K stone but others of decent quality ranging 5-7.5K, with up to 20% discount. Unfortunately out of four stones in that range only two have decent videos. The vendor did take a photograph with all four stone, after talking back and forth, I settled on the largest and the most expensive of the lot. As I can’t travel to look at the stone in person and I wanted some measure of assurance I’m not buying a total did, I asked the vendor to send the stone for re-certification at AIGS Thailand (as they seem to be one of few that does qualitative certification on jade), and it is happening as we speak. If I’m am to buy the stone after certification, it will come just under $6K after discounts.

So while I am waiting I would like to share the videos and photographs of the stones I was considering and my selection to see if there are reasons for me to back out, paying too much, if there may be good reasons for these stones not selling for almost 15 years. I am hoping to make a ring out of it to pass on as family heirloom and want to ensure it’s “imperial jade” grade.

The first video of a stone held by forceps is the one I ended up choosing, and awaiting AIGS certification. 2.82carat, supposedly of great fine chrome green tone, and excellent translucency

The second video is of the stone that I had considered up to the last minute, it has enchanting colour but the vendor seems to think the colour of the first one is of higher quality or more valuable...

The photo is of all stones I considered for this purchase. The one I ended up choosing is the one on top left, the stone from the second video is on bottom left, whereas the top right is actually more expensive than bottom left but did not have videos and the vendor thought the colour possibly too deep. The bottom right had weird proportions and did not look as good as others.

Well, that's what I have thus far, let me know what you think! All the jade connoisseurs and experts of the World and critique away!

Hey Sydney, Would you consider this to be "Imperial Jade". Just saw it in a store and the guy said it is Imperial and certified by the Hong Kong Jade and Stone Lab. It is very beautiful but do you guys think it is Imperial? 1A7B6B98-0A68-418A-A608-1B7277F14AD4_1_201_a.jpeg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Hey Sydney, Would you consider this to be "Imperial Jade". Just saw it in a store and the guy said it is Imperial and certified by the Hong Kong Jade and Stone Lab. It is very beautiful but do you guys think it is Imperial? 1A7B6B98-0A68-418A-A608-1B7277F14AD4_1_201_a.jpeg

Looks like imperial. Did the cert state imperial?

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Looks like imperial. Did the cert state imperial?
No, he said it says it is intense vivid green and that is why it is imperial. He said very rarely do they specify as such. Do you think that a cert would specify Imperial Jade?
Icy, I have been watch so many Chinese Dramas. So much fun. Thank you guys for all your suggestions.

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
No, he said it says it is intense vivid green and that is why it is imperial. He said very rarely do they specify as such. Do you think that a cert would specify Imperial Jade?
Icy, I have been watch so many Chinese Dramas. So much fun. Thank you guys for all your suggestions.
I think “intense green” is the designation for top-of-line jadeite from HKJSL, whereas “vivid green” is for Nanyang in Singapore. Ensure that the certificate says “intense green”, then I would take it as “imperial jade” equivalent. As for my impression of colour, yes I would call this imperial jadeite too, gorgeous!!:kiss2:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

Some labs do but yeah I think maybe the HK lab doesn’t.

Mind sharing the price of these earrings? They are so beautiful.

Glad you are enjoying the C dramas! I’m monitoring if the latest Novoland drama will be HE before I decide if I want to watch.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Some labs do but yeah I think maybe the HK lab doesn’t.

Mind sharing the price of these earrings? They are so beautiful.

Glad you are enjoying the C dramas! I’m monitoring if the latest Novoland drama will be HE before I decide if I want to watch.

$39,000 USD. Do you think this is a good price?

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
$39,000 USD. Do you think this is a good price?

Will need to know dimensions, carat weight, diamond specs etc but if backed by “intense green” HKJSL certificate, quite possibly.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Will need to know dimensions, carat weight, diamond specs etc but if backed by “intense green” HKJSL certificate, quite possibly.

It is very small and diamonds not too big. Seems a bit expensive to me. But still very pretty.

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
It is very small and diamonds not too big. Seems a bit expensive to me. But still very pretty.

I imagine I will have to set around $15-20K aside for a small cabochon of imperial jadeite >2ct…

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results