shape
carat
color
clarity

“Imperial Jade” cabochon: did I make the right call

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Upon further communication with them, “Awethentic jadeite” seem a bit strange. They go into waffle about how factors such as tone, saturation, translucency come into play (mind you, pretty poor English for business person) but danced around my question about where “emperor green” fit in scheme of things, though conceded “emperor” doesn’t equal “imperial”. They say the items are certified by “Chinese national lab” (where they have a facility) and will not allow sending of stones overseas such as HK or Singapore, quoting logistics involved in pandemic times; they are happy to test within Australia but there’s really no lab that can do detailed analysis here, only can tell if A-grade jade or not with GSL Sydney. The biggest red flag is that they allow face-to-face appointment only for transactions worth >$50000, saying that the rest are all dealt online; strange given they claim they are in Queen St Melbourne. Tried a couple of phone calls in business hours today but not answering, nor giving me a call back after leaving a voicemail.

I might see what they might have for different price ranges but think this business has too many question-marks and opaque vague communications for me to dump thousands of dollar without better guarantee, might go with original plan with AJS and Kathys for now?

Sydney, I am thinking that there really is no standard for classifying imperial jade. There is a general idea but when it comes down to it, it is up to the buyer to decide imperial jade or not. I am thinking that we just have to love the piece that we intend to buy. No one can say with absolute certainty if it is or isn't because there is not a grading scale like diamonds. Everything is subjective. The challenge I think is for us to see it in person. Very hard to judge something online. And sellers are very smart how to make something look even nicer than they actually are.

Last edited:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think imperial jadeite is likely the same as rubies, sapphires, and emeralds. You only know what the very highest quality stones look like when you've actually seen one in person. And you stopped breathing, and your jaw hit the floor! =)2

That's also when you understand why they are so rare, and why you have to be very, very wealthy to buy one. It's also when you realize you are going to have to make some compromises. :mrgreen2:

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much Sydney for doing the research for me. I often thought that they had too many beautiful pieces to be for real. But I have to admit they were so beautiful they were hard to ignore. Now I can feel comfortable about ignoring. Maybe that is the reason their name is spelled "Awethentic and not Authentic". LOL
Thank you for sharing this with me.❤️

My suggestion, or rather what I intend to do, is to keep them on the Facebook feed, and when you find something they call “imperial” or “emperor” that has price-tag that seem good to you, buy it and get it checked out at GSL Sydney (I assume you are in Australia too?), to ensure they are A-grade. The shop do seem to have reasonably high standard for “imperial” that I will give them credit for (but do check it out yourself once you receive it), only thing is they don’t always quote rough price range…

The color is less intense/vibrant than what I expect imperial green to be (personal preference and all that), but so far I like it best of all the cabs you’ve posted. It’s a tad small though…

This one is termed “emperor green” apparently not the same thing as “imperial green” on their website, and given you (and I) think it’s quite close to “Imperial”, looks like they are doing classification alright at the least…would’ve so got this for $5000-7500 if not sold.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
My suggestion, or rather what I intend to do, is to keep them on the Facebook feed, and when you find something they call “imperial” or “emperor” that has price-tag that seem good to you, buy it and get it checked out at GSL Sydney (I assume you are in Australia too?), to ensure they are A-grade. The shop do seem to have reasonably high standard for “imperial” that I will give them credit for (but do check it out yourself once you receive it), only thing is they don’t always quote rough price range…

This one is termed “emperor green” apparently not the same thing as “imperial green” on their website, and given you (and I) think it’s quite close to “Imperial”, looks like they are doing classification alright at the least…would’ve so got this for $5000-7500 if not sold.

Sorry Sydney, Don't live in Austrailia. I live in Hawaii. So can't buy from them cos too far for me to travel to check it out. That is why I was anxious to get your opinion of them. So far I have only bought from my local jeweler who also has connections in Hong Kong and I can see what I am buying in person in her shop. She also includes a certificate from either Hong Kong Jade and Stone Lab or GIA in the purchase price so I am comfortable buying from her.However, if I knew someone else I could trust 100% I might consider buying from them. That is why I really wanted to know what you thought. Glad you shared your opinions.

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of these vendors don't even own the goods and therefore will never actually see them! So it's all about finding a vendor who will try hard enough to get you as many pictures, photos, checks as they can and you have to assume the risk that comes with it.

It really isn't for everyone, buying randomly online!

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
A lot of these vendors don't even own the goods and therefore will never actually see them! So it's all about finding a vendor who will try hard enough to get you as many pictures, photos, checks as they can and you have to assume the risk that comes with it.

It really isn't for everyone, buying randomly online!

I am too chicken to gamble. Don't even go to Las Vegas.

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
You have a lovely jeweller that stocks really nice stuff!!! You don't need to gamble!

Sydney is kinda hopeless!!! I think here you either buy online or don't buy anything!

Try Sydney Gems & Pearls at The Dymocks building-after lockdown is over-they have a few jade eye-candies, though prices can be tough. I think I will buy this AJS stuff now (assuming the AIGS certificate is good), try to sell my current cabochon from May’s somehow, lurk while saving, and grab a “imperial” cabochon from Kathys or Awethentic Melbourne when they have something that looks convincing for around $20000 or lower…

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
You have a lovely jeweller that stocks really nice stuff!!! You don't need to gamble!

Sydney is kinda hopeless!!! I think here you either buy online or don't buy anything!

Mellow, Do you live in Australia?

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock

That's so cool! If you ever have a chance to view Myanmar A Grade Awethentic Jadeite can you post for us. I find it so hard to believe that one store can have everything it sells look so amazing. I keep asking myself, can this really be true?Al†hough SidneyPhoenix did say they do not allow on site visitors, I wonder if they even have a store front?

Last edited:

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Apparently Awethentic jadeite in Melbourne (or wherever the stocks really come from) charge prices in USD, so this “imperial” cabochon they showed me is meant to be around U$40K.
1D328EF2-1EBF-495B-972B-3AF3D4388E1F.png
I wonder what you especially @Silvermom think, but to me doesn’t really look much better in quality over their “emperor green” costing <U$7500 or what Kathys offered for $7000, both of which I posted above.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Apparently Awethentic jadeite in Melbourne (or wherever the stocks really come from) charge prices in USD, so this “imperial” cabochon they showed me is meant to be around U$40K.
1D328EF2-1EBF-495B-972B-3AF3D4388E1F.png
I wonder what you especially @Silvermom think, but to me doesn’t really look much better in quality over their “emperor green” costing <U$7500 or what Kathys offered for $7000, both of which I posted above.

Doesn't look that special to me. I would expect imperial to be not so much looking like apple green. It is a nice stone but nowhere near worth the price they are asking. Also, if you have not seen this in person, it might not even look like this. Just my opinion but I could be wrong. Yes your other stones are just as nice or nicer to me. This one has too much a yellowish green color to it.

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Doesn't look that special to me. I would expect imperial to be not so much looking like apple green. It is a nice stone but nowhere near worth the price they are asking. Also, if you have not seen this in person, it might not even look like this. Just my opinion but I could be wrong. Yes your other stones are just as nice or nicer to me. This one has too much a yellowish green color to it.

I hope the AJS stone turn out to be nice in person…

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Thinking of making a necklace with the AJS jade in white gold or platinum in due course, based on this design from the Lord of the Rings, with some modifications…

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Thinking of making a necklace with the AJS jade in white gold or platinum in due course, based on this design from the Lord of the Rings, with some modifications…

It will look gorgeous! I love this design. I have my jeweler make almost everything for me in platinum because white gold has a tendency to discolor after a while and then you have to rodium it. Also white gold wears down but platinum never will. Platinum requires less maintenance over all.

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
It will look gorgeous! I love this design. I have my jeweler make almost everything for me in platinum because white gold has a tendency to discolor after a while and then you have to rodium it. Also white gold wears down but platinum never will. Platinum requires less maintenance over all.

Bad news, the AJS stone returned rather average results, I guess I am not going forward with the purchase of that stone. Given how he thought it was the best of the three or four we considered, doubt the others will fare much better. I did have a plan B to buy something from AJS in case the jadeite purchase fell through, also will likely save some money to buy something when Kathys or Awethentic Jadeite Melbourne bring up something...

Good thing to note is that AIGS seem to have quite high standard for "imperial green", and quite detailed hierarchy of the jade cabochon for their certification. Think I might put it up for anyone who might deal with AIGS for jade certification in future.

1629873809323.jpg 1629873809423.jpg

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Bad news, the AJS stone returned rather average results, I guess I am not going forward with the purchase of that stone. Given how he thought it was the best of the three or four we considered, doubt the others will fare much better. I did have a plan B to buy something from AJS in case the jadeite purchase fell through, also will likely save some money to buy something when Kathys or Awethentic Jadeite Melbourne bring up something...

Good thing to note is that AIGS seem to have quite high standard for "imperial green", and quite detailed hierarchy of the jade cabochon for their certification. Think I might put it up for anyone who might deal with AIGS for jade certification in future.

BUMMERS! Keep trying, I am sure you will find something. Great to get things certified. So you can be sure you get what you paid for.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

Thanks for sharing! Great to know that AIGS is strict.

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Plan B: 1.12ct heated Burmese ruby, designated as pigeon blood” red by GRS, still my biggest gemstone purchase to date…
He says the video makes the stone appear orangish compared to real life.

I also see AJS took down all the jade cabochons, don’t know what he intends to do with them but if he puts them back up later with big price reduction, may be still worth it, though don’t expect any except the $135K one to be anywhere near “imperial jade” quality..,

Last edited:

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Plan B: 1.12ct heated Burmese jade, designated as pigeon blood” red by GRS, still my biggest gemstone purchase to date…

I also see AJS took down all the

Is this a Jade? Do you mean Ruby?

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock

Yep ruby. Still devo about the certification…and don’t know if I can trust the Awethentic people in Melbourne if they produce what they call “imperial” under $20000 as they seem to every few months. Btw, their pricing is USD, not AUD. :(

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock

Yep ruby. Still devo about the certification…and don’t know if I can trust the Awethentic people in Melbourne if they produce what they call “imperial” under $20000 as they seem to every few months. Btw, their pricing is USD, not AUD. :(

Beautiful Ruby!!!! I love it. I wouldn't buy anything fromt he Awethentic people unless they let me see it in person. $20,000 is a heck of a lot of money to gamble on. I love colored stones too. Here is a pink unheated sapphire I bought and had set as a pendant.
. fullsizeoutput_c12.jpeg
Then I bought this unheated pink sapphire and made it into a ring
fullsizeoutput_c05.jpeg
Then I realized that the sapphire shape in the ring did not match as a ring so I switched the ring to a pendant and made the pendant into a ring. I just love colored stones. I love the color in your red ruby.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Plan B: 1.12ct heated Burmese ruby, designated as pigeon blood” red by GRS, still my biggest gemstone purchase to date…
He says the video makes the stone appear orangish compared to real life.

I also see AJS took down all the jade cabochons, don’t know what he intends to do with them but if he puts them back up later with big price reduction, may be still worth it, though don’t expect any except the $135K one to be anywhere near “imperial jade” quality..,

I bought from AJS two years ago. Same as you, 1.1-1.2 heated burmese ruby (I kept it). videos look great but I am sorry to say that they are not accurate. Their return policy is excellent though, so it’s a no risk transaction

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
@Sydneyphoenix
I was going through my pics and found pics of this set of jadeite that I was told is “imperial jadeite”. Had bumped into my jeweler’s supplier last time and got to see these beauties:
BFF8D674-2DD1-46D8-A878-979B0F232DDF.jpeg 6F9319BD-343D-4FDD-870E-476F2075463F.jpeg 7C3E7838-3DFE-459B-AD90-8A66E443FF64.jpeg D721306E-E0F2-4E8E-BA6A-96CC3DA2FB8C.jpeg

Icy, did you say you saw these in person. SO GORGEOUS!

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
I bought from AJS two years ago. Same as you, 1.1-1.2 heated burmese ruby (I kept it). videos look great but I am sorry to say that they are not accurate. Their return policy is excellent though, so it’s a no risk transaction

Yeah we will see if GRS certificate stacks up, I understand that lab can be generous. Did yours come with one, what did it say?

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Sydneyphoenix
I was going through my pics and found pics of this set of jadeite that I was told is “imperial jadeite”. Had bumped into my jeweler’s supplier last time and got to see these beauties:
BFF8D674-2DD1-46D8-A878-979B0F232DDF.jpeg 6F9319BD-343D-4FDD-870E-476F2075463F.jpeg 7C3E7838-3DFE-459B-AD90-8A66E443FF64.jpeg D721306E-E0F2-4E8E-BA6A-96CC3DA2FB8C.jpeg

That lavender cab is to die for!!!! =)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results