shape
carat
color
clarity

My PS Gift: FINALLY! My Amelia ring. Pad by Richard Wise, Setting by Leon Mege.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t hold off because I have to go pick up my daughter from school!!!!

I think it is GORGEOUS! I can''t imagine a more perfect setting for that stone.

As for the prongs, I assume it is because it was a native cut stone and just needed a longer prong. The prong tips on top look great, so that is what matters most.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/9/2009 2:53:12 PM
Author: TravelingGal

So...I louped it and once noticed by the loupe and macro photos, this is VERY easy to see with the naked eye.

One prong is noticeably longer than the other. The profile is NOT symmetrical. My heart pounded very hard for a few moments, let me tell you!

Here is the pic. You can see the left prong is longer than the right. The other side isn''t 100% even either, but this side is more noticeable.

And hold off on comments until I come back in another minute or two...

hmmm.... I can barely see it still...but after you pointed it, I can. Not so much the prong being longer than the other...but the symmetry. I wonder if the symmetry is off due to the cut/faceting??

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually, the above photo isn't too bad. You can definitely see it better in the FIRST photo I posted in this thread.

Anyway, I was like, WTF? How could he let this ring out the door like this? It's all true! Some sweatshop worker getting paid minimum wage made my ring! But then, I took a breath and looked at my ring...really LOOKED at it.

The girdle of the stone is uneven. It is native cut. The facets aren't symmetrical either.

As I've also mentioned before, the stone has a tilt window. Tilt it a TEENY FRACTION either way and the window becomes glaring. I realized however in the FACE UP position, there was no window.

Looking at it further, I realized the table is set straight directly in proportion to the ring. The culet is also evenly set somehow. One side of the stone has a slightly steeper crown than the other.

And I realized that somehow through all this, the 4 prongs look great from face view...right where they should be. The longer prong from the profile is necessary to compensate for the nature of the stone. Most amazingly, the stone is set perfectly straight, elimating all traces of the window from the face up position (there is little margin of error for this).

The ring is MASTERFULLY set. Great job, Mr. Sweatshop worker!!

Now, had I seen a photo ONLY of this, I think I would have freaked. Had I not figured it out, I think I would have freaked. I admit, I did have a moment of panic when I thought I'd have to call Leon and say, "Mr. Mege, your PRONGS ARE CROOKED!"

Thank God I didn't, lol.
41.gif
But it was interesting to see that custom doesn't mean perfectly symmetrical in every way. In this case, CUSTOM meant that it shows off my slightly wonky stone in the best possible light.
36.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
T-gal I am so glad you figured it out. Your ring is perfection in my eyes.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Fantastic.
36.gif
Just wear it with that prong facing away from you and you''ll never know.
9.gif
I think it''s fabulous that he set your stone to maxamize its beauty.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tgal love the ring, its gorgeous!! what a great combination. And from this ring, I just decided that I LOVE LOVE half moons with Oval center
30.gif
its just a great compliment to each, and the tapered baguettes are a nice touch as well. I do see the uneveness of the prongs and not being centered really but its only heavily shown in magnification so I probably wouldn't have even notice until you pointed it out- BTW Congrats on your gift

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2009 3:06:20 PM
Author: geckodani
Just wear it with that prong facing away from you and you''ll never know.
9.gif

Ditto this!
I still think it looks great, even with the wonky prong. The attempt to make it look good otherwise certainly worked out, so as long as you are happy with it, I think it''s awesome.

Here''s hoping that other people working with Leon can be this pleased!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is gorgeous TGal, and oh so dainty. The color of the pad is just wonderful!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks all! The longer prong doesn''t bother me at all now, knowing that it really is perfectly set. I''m staring it it now and am rather amazed how skillfullly it was set. If it wasn''t set this way, it would have been a mess looking at it from the face up position. It''s actually kind of fascinating, because I was pretty nervous about how shallow the stone was and the window that I saw in it.

I''ll be back in a bit with some comments!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TGal- the ring and the stone are awesome. I didn''t go back to look at the prongs, but I never noticed it in any picture. All I could see was the beautiful stone.
It is quite possibly the most beautiful colored pad I have ever seen. It took my breath away. STUNNING!!!! I don''t think there are more words to
describe it. Wonderful, perfect, gorgeous!

What an eye you have! I don''t think I would have been able to figure out the reason for the difference in prong length. Maybe I haven''t hung around PS
quite long enough yet!

I would be staring at that baby all day long. Congratulations! Will it be a present to your baby girl someday?

What did you think when you saw the box! I was floored by that. I was expecting the fuzzy red one. Do you think Leon has upgraded his box presentation
permanently or did he just really like you? LOL. I don''t know why on earth a box would be so important, but it somehow is. go figure.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Homina Homina Homina....

THUNK

Gorgeous. That is an incredible stone! And congrats again on your lil'' one!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/9/2009 3:02:30 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Actually, the above photo isn''t too bad. You can definitely see it better in the FIRST photo I posted in this thread.

Anyway, I was like, WTF? How could he let this ring out the door like this? It''s all true! Some sweatshop worker getting paid minimum wage made my ring! But then, I took a breath and looked at my ring...really LOOKED at it.

The girdle of the stone is uneven. It is native cut. The facets aren''t symmetrical either.

As I''ve also mentioned before, the stone has a tilt window. Tilt it a TEENY FRACTION either way and the window becomes glaring. I realized however in the FACE UP position, there was no window.

Looking at it further, I realized the table is set straight directly in proportion to the ring. The culet is also evenly set somehow. One side of the stone has a slightly steeper crown than the other.

And I realized that somehow through all this, the 4 prongs look great from face view...right where they should be. The longer prong from the profile is necessary to compensate for the nature of the stone. Most amazingly, the stone is set perfectly straight, elimating all traces of the window from the face up position (there is little margin of error for this).

The ring is MASTERFULLY set. Great job, Mr. Sweatshop worker!!

Now, had I seen a photo ONLY of this, I think I would have freaked. Had I not figured it out, I think I would have freaked. I admit, I did have a moment of panic when I thought I''d have to call Leon and say, ''Mr. Mege, your PRONGS ARE CROOKED!''

Thank God I didn''t, lol.
41.gif
But it was interesting to see that custom doesn''t mean perfectly symmetrical in every way. In this case, CUSTOM meant that it shows off my slightly wonky stone in the best possible light.
36.gif
I am so glad that you came to this happy conclusion. I say if you have to look real hard to see it, then it is not worth freaking out about! Based on the cut of the stone, it makes total sense to me how it was set. It is sheer perfection from what I can see!

.....and after reading what you said, I was stuggling with a few details concerning my custom made sapphire ring from Dimend Scaasi. My stone is also a native cut, the prongs are not even............and YOU can see this right away, and my stone does have a tilt window too. Not sure if any setting could change the tilt window?? I took it to a jeweler and she louped my ring and felt that it was a "masterpiece". She also expressed that claws are extremely hard to do and match up consistantly with the others especially on a native cut stone...........and even more so if they are double claws! So that made me feel good to have her approval on it. I have learned totally not to sweat it at this point. Your ring really is a MASTERPIECE and I think Amelia will be over the moon to wear that someday!!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful TGal!!!!!

Very suiting for such a beautiful little girl. (And her mama too of course!)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2009 3:18:37 PM
Author: luv2sparkle
TGal- the ring and the stone are awesome. I didn''t go back to look at the prongs, but I never noticed it in any picture. All I could see was the beautiful stone.
It is quite possibly the most beautiful colored pad I have ever seen. It took my breath away. STUNNING!!!! I don''t think there are more words to
describe it. Wonderful, perfect, gorgeous!

What an eye you have! I don''t think I would have been able to figure out the reason for the difference in prong length. Maybe I haven''t hung around PS
quite long enough yet!

I would be staring at that baby all day long. Congratulations! Will it be a present to your baby girl someday?

What did you think when you saw the box! I was floored by that. I was expecting the fuzzy red one. Do you think Leon has upgraded his box presentation
permanently or did he just really like you? LOL. I don''t know why on earth a box would be so important, but it somehow is. go figure.
I was totally floored by it too. I reached in thinking I was going to grab bubble wrap, and I was like WTF? A box? And then I was excited about the box. And then I thought...boy, I''m sure many on PS will have something to say about the fact that it is SAD about getting excited about a box when you should be getting a box anyway when you do something with a jeweler, yadda yadda yadda, right?
2.gif

And I don''t know if it''s a permanent upgrade. I can''t imagine Leon particularly liking me as I really gave him no opportunity to get to know me...we didn''t talk much!!
33.gif

The box is nice. A rich, wine colored box with black furry interior. Do I need to post more pics of the box?
3.gif

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my TG, what an awesome ring!!
30.gif
30.gif
Love it, prongs and all!! Wear it in good health!

Date: 10/9/2009 3:10:36 PM
Author: MonkeyPie

Here''s hoping that other people working with Leon can be this pleased!
Am keeping my fingers crossed!
2.gif

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
30.gif
This ring is UNBELIEVABLE! I mean truly truly stunning.
30.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes! More pictures of the box!

Burk

Ideal_Rock
It''s absolutely PERFECT!!! Love it!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well heck yeah we wanna see the box too!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
absofreakinglutely you should post more pictures of the box. You said your gorgeous ring was just a Leon average five stone ( Oh so beg to differ), but for
crying out loud how many PS''ers actually got a cool box? Only one that I can think of! You rate girl!!!!!

Your ring is ''make me want to cry'' gorgeous.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
STUNNING!!!!!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
That pad is just drop dead gorgeous!!!!

What a great ring to pass on to your daughter... I hope you both get much joy from it
1.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2009 3:34:08 PM
Author: packrat
Well heck yeah we wanna see the box too!
Haha, OK, I took photos and will resize them after lunch.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
TGal, I absolutely LOVE it!!!
30.gif
It is truly perfect--Amelia is a lucky girl to be able to look forward to wearing that beauty one day! And in terms of working with Leon, I feel the same way as you and I''m so glad it all worked out. Congratulations, wear it in good health!!
1.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring. Love the 5-stone setting and the lovely sapphire. Wear it in good health!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

ETA - I absolutely agree with your approach with Leon. Pick a designer who work you absolutely love, and let them do their thing. I lack the designer gene, so I am constantly in awe of those who have the gift to design and create beautiful things.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
absolutely breathe taking ring...and yes post pics of the box!

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful ring! Definitely one of Leon''s best creations. Wear it in good health, and it''s a great heirloom ring for your little girl.

sasa

Brilliant_Rock
love the ring! It''s so beautiful~

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

OK, in the spirit of the dork that I am (and because I know some of you are dorks too), here it is...the Pièce de résistance! The LEON MEGE BOX!

The first pic I posted is the true to life color of the box from what I can see. Below it is a face up shot of the box, which is photographing a lot lighter.

LEONIMG_0514.JPG

LEONIMG_0615.JPG

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Profile view.

LEONIMG_0619.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results