shape
carat
color
clarity

Daniel K asscher ring temptation

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
isaku i thought of something last nite in relation to you and this project...

a stunning asscher in the hand is better than an asscher in the bush!
9.gif

may or may not be true but i thought it was kind of funny.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2006 12:41:27 PM
Author: Mara
isaku i thought of something last nite in relation to you and this project...

a stunning asscher in the hand is better than an asscher in the bush!
9.gif

may or may not be true but i thought it was kind of funny.
That''s cute!!!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Mara and kaleigh...That''s very appropriate here. It''s just that I''m nosy; if I can get a view of that" asscher in the bush" and see that it''s a dud and that the ring is overpriced, my curiosity would be satisfied......Otherwise, I''m going to wonder whether I made the right choice going with the custom setting.

Judging from the setting prices I have so far, the Daniel K shouldn''t cost that much more, but ....
33.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Well, I for one can't wait until you find out what they're asking for the Daniel K....so curious!

Your 2.26er is indeed gorgeous, but I'm sure DK uses only top quality stones in their pieces, too.

widget

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2006 4:01:55 PM
Author: widget
Well, I for one can''t wait until you find out what they''re asking for the Daniel K....so curious!

Your 2.26er is indeed gorgeous, but I''m sure DK uses only top quality stones in their pieces, too.

widget
Thanks, widget....That''s what waiting a few more days is going to tell me, I hope.

There are a few things to consider: The quality of the asscher ;the price of the finished ring; the turnaround time.......

Hopefully, by Monday I''ll have some answers.

Actually, I''m a little disappointed that I have yet to see a picture of the stone and hear the "knock your socks off price". Why would the vendor have to get DK''s final word on the price before giving me an idea of what the cost will be?

I''m learning that it''s part of the jewelry industry''s game; set out the bait and make her wait! (hey, poetry..)
9.gif

FYI, the setting prices of the custom ring have ranged between 6k (for a liittle over a carat tw) to $9600 for 3.10c. I don''t know what the ctw of the DK would be....yet.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
isaku,

I would definitely find out more info about the DK and wouldn''t worry too much about the stone as he uses all ex/ex high quality. I would want all the numbers to compare it with the one you have. I''d go with the real deal if the price is right and everything checks out. I think some of the DK settings are very intricate and would really only trust someone who had made many, many of them to do it. Anyway, I would seriously research who is offering such a deal. DK comes with a premium and doesn''t make it easy for vendors to discount, like many designer pieces so I''d definitly do some serious checking. Also, glad to know it wasn''t a PS vendor making such an offer
38.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I understand it, it was a vendor she had first contacted. So I think there is nothing wrong with a vendor getting back with a customer when they get in something that fits what they were looking for. I have some that check in with me when they get new diamonds because I emailed a few when I first started my diamond search.

I just wanted to add that you would really need to check the asscher specs. I was looking at a Harry Winston ring the other day on Signed Pieces and checked the cert, and that diamond was not the quality we expect on here.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2006 10:13:40 PM
Author: mrssalvo
isaku,

I would definitely find out more info about the DK and wouldn''t worry too much about the stone as he uses all ex/ex high quality. I would want all the numbers to compare it with the one you have. I''d go with the real deal if the price is right and everything checks out. I think some of the DK settings are very intricate and would really only trust someone who had made many, many of them to do it. Anyway, I would seriously research who is offering such a deal. DK comes with a premium and doesn''t make it easy for vendors to discount, like many designer pieces so I''d definitly do some serious checking. Also, glad to know it wasn''t a PS vendor making such an offer
38.gif
Thanks for your insight, mrssalvo.

The fact that the setting is a very intricate one and very difficult to do was mentioned by the would-be vendor of the DK as a selling point.

Also, as you mention, "DK comes with a premium and doesn''t make it easy for vendors to discount" might explain why they have to check with DK before they offer the price of the ring.

Thanks for clearing things up.
35.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2006 10:22:19 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
As I understand it, it was a vendor she had first contacted. So I think there is nothing wrong with a vendor getting back with a customer when they get in something that fits what they were looking for. I have some that check in with me when they get new diamonds because I emailed a few when I first started my diamond search.

I just wanted to add that you would really need to check the asscher specs. I was looking at a Harry Winston ring the other day on Signed Pieces and checked the cert, and that diamond was not the quality we expect on here.
You are absolutely right, diamondseeker, and I should have made that clear at the outset.
7.gif

The administators are so "on the ball" here that Irina got in touch with me right away to be sure I wasn''t referring to a PS vendor who wasn''t playing by the rules.
38.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Isake, the plot thickens! Nothing in life is simple, though these are good problems to have!!

The size (2.19 to 2.26) is not hugely different, the specs will tell the story better. I liked the first picture, from the top view, a bit better, because it looked, to me, a bit more delicate. HOWEVER...they are both stunning and if you go with the new option your ring is DONE. But, patience is a good virtue to have (I do not have it sad to say)...so just satisfy your little niggling voice inside, and then decide and be comfortable you were not hasty!!! I simply cannot wait to see this gorgeous ring...OMG is this gonna be one stunning piece of eye candy!! CONGRATS...

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2006 10:43:21 PM
Author: diamondfan
Isake, the plot thickens! Nothing in life is simple, though these are good problems to have!!

The size (2.19 to 2.26) is not hugely different, the specs will tell the story better. I liked the first picture, from the top view, a bit better, because it looked, to me, a bit more delicate. HOWEVER...they are both stunning and if you go with the new option your ring is DONE. But, patience is a good virtue to have (I do not have it sad to say)...so just satisfy your little niggling voice inside, and then decide and be comfortable you were not hasty!!! I simply cannot wait to see this gorgeous ring...OMG is this gonna be one stunning piece of eye candy!! CONGRATS...
You''re so right, diamondfan, when you say that "the plot thickens" and that these are good problems to have.

I did post the specs of the 2.19 earlier in this thread and while the asscher looks good on paper, I won''t be really convinced until a see some pictures and "scopes". I''ll probably be back asking for input on that too (collective groan heard from PS''ers).
11.gif

Like you, I''m not a patient person, but when I''m going to be spending lots of $$$, I want to make sure that I make a smart decision .......Are diamonds ever a "smart decision"? I think I''d better re-phrase that and say " an informed decision".
9.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always joke with my hubby about need and want..."Did you NEED another pair of shoes?" "No, but I WANTED them!'' Subtle but true...so, yes, an informed decision, with something of this nature, is vital. BUT, just know, even once you decide and have it on your hand, your eyes will go to other rings and you will go ooooooohhhh how pretty...I have done it here MANY times. At that point, you have to figure, you can appreciate it all like fine art but you have yours and you love it (one hopes!)...ah, a tough dilema to be in!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
After some mental musings on who might not be a PS vendor but who would be a Daniel K retailer AND who might use terminology like 'knock your socks off'...I think I know who this vendor is...it will be interesting to hear if my hunch is correct!
2.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2006 2:19:59 AM
After some mental musings on who might not be a PS vendor but who would be a Daniel K retailer AND who might use terminology like ''knock your socks off''...I think I know who this vendor is...it will be interesting to hear if my hunch is correct!
2.gif
Mara, your "mental musings" are just too funny.
9.gif
Face it , you''re a sleuth at heart!
28.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Diamondfan, you are soooooo right. Once one project is finished, I''m at it again.....DH says I''ll never be satisfied, and I tell him to be thankful I''m into jewellery and not into collecting husbands.
11.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2006 10:55:01 AM
Author: isaku5
Diamondfan, you are soooooo right. Once one project is finished, I''m at it again.....DH says I''ll never be satisfied, and I tell him to be thankful I''m into jewellery and not into collecting husbands.
11.gif
LOL!!!!
3.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2006 10:45:14 AM

After some mental musings on who might not be a PS vendor but who would be a Daniel K retailer AND who might use terminology like ''knock your socks off''...I think I know who this vendor is...it will be interesting to hear if my hunch is correct!
2.gif
Mara, your ''mental musings'' are just too funny.
9.gif
Face it , you''re a sleuth at heart!
28.gif
hehe F&I is our resident SpyGirl! ... I am just a trainee.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Isaku, that is too funny! There is always a way to make upgrades and buying stuff sound better!!! (Honey, be glad it is just a ring and not a boyfriend or a new hubby! Bet that works!)''

I just want to enjoy it because it sounds like it will be stunning!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Isaku,

Just reading here but away from my email. I can get you DK if you prefer not to get the 2.26ct. We find that Asschers are a mixed bag when it comes to cut quality from most manufacturers including them. We generally don''t call in stuff from DK becuase they mount most of it and it can not be assessed loose for a critical exam and they refuse to unmount it for inspection.
40.gif

Regarding photography, we use a consistent and specific setup which allows people familiar with that photography to assess certain cut information from the photograph. I''m just saying this because it is easy to manipulate a photograph and make a stone appear better depending on how the lighting is setup etc. If you are comfortable making a purchasing decision with none of the information we provide except a GIA Report and a photograph let me know via email and we can arrange to have this in for you unless of course you prefer not to do business with us and I respect whatever decision you''d like to do.

Kind regards,

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have also said that it is better that I get a new set of rings for our anniversary than get a new husband in order to get new rings!
9.gif

And there ya go...Jonathan can examine the Daniel K and you can make a really informed decision about which stone/ring to go with!!!!
36.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
2.gif

I have been having mental musings as well and think I may have a pretty good idea myself.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2006 1:22:14 PM
Author: Rhino
Hi Isaku,

Just reading here but away from my email. I can get you DK if you prefer not to get the 2.26ct. We find that Asschers are a mixed bag when it comes to cut quality from most manufacturers including them. We generally don''t call in stuff from DK becuase they mount most of it and it can not be assessed loose for a critical exam and they refuse to unmount it for inspection.
40.gif

Kind regards,

That''s interesting Jonathan. I was under the impression that the DK manufacturers were among the more consistant and better ones when it came to the asschers and cushions cut quality
40.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrssalvo, you know, I think it is just that we are spoiled here! These guys like Daniel K, Tiffany, Harry Winston, etc. probably do use diamonds that are in the top 10-20% or so. But we are used to the top 3-5% on PS, so 20 doesn''t look so good in comparison! That''s just what I think the situation is, but I could be wrong.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
after seeing that asscher that isaku was buying, honestly i don''t know that i could ''settle'' for a pre-set by a designer. hehee...but those are nice problems to have. filet mignon or kobe steak?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2006 2:23:48 PM
mrssalvo, you know, I think it is just that we are spoiled here! These guys like Daniel K, Tiffany, Harry Winston, etc. probably do use diamonds that are in the top 10-20% or so. But we are used to the top 3-5% on PS, so 20 doesn''t look so good in comparison! That''s just what I think the situation is, but I could be wrong.

I agree we are spoiled here. I have seen some tiffany stones and HW on Signed pieces website that we not cut to PS standards at all. I was just under the impression that the Daniel K cutters supply stones with only ex/ex polish and sym. so those stones are going to perform well and be in the top 3-5% and would meet most PS standards. I don''t know much about asschers and trust Jonathan and other PS vendors who have experience with DK to believe what they say, I was just surprised. Todd at NiceIce said in an old thread that they only stock DK asshers and cushions b/c the cut is far superior to most that is out there. I am considering a DK cushion for my upgrade so I''ve done a fair amount of research about him and his stones. We are not at the purchase place yet so I''ve haven''t asked the specific questions about my future stone and getting the info I''d want at that time. It will be interesting to see when the time comes.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2006 1:22:14 PM
Author: Rhino
Hi Isaku,

40.gif

Regarding photography, we use a consistent and specific setup which allows people familiar with that photography to assess certain cut information from the photograph. I''m just saying this because it is easy to manipulate a photograph and make a stone appear better depending on how the lighting is setup etc. If you are comfortable making a purchasing decision with none of the information we provide except a GIA Report and a photograph let me know via email and we can arrange to have this in for you unless of course you prefer not to do business with us and I respect whatever decision you''d like to do.

Kind regards,
Hi again Jon ( my previous attempt has disappeared into cyberspace????) I will try again with hopefully better results.

I hope you know that I have enjoyed working with you so far on this awesome 2.26 asscher!!!

We are definitely on the same wavelength.

The problem is not with the asscher, but with the setting of this spectacular stone. As you know, I have been in contact with Marie who has spoken to Jacob about this difficult setting. Unfortunately, Jacob does not do CAD''s or waxes of his settings and, frankly, that worries me.

I really don''t want to send the superstar asscher on a cross-country tour to get prices on settings either. Maybe to Quest, but that would be it.

When I was approached about an asscher (whose quality has yet to be determined) in a beautiful setting (whose price remains a mystery), I was tempted to wait for "the reveal" which should hapoen tomorrow. If the heel-dragging continues on the pictures and scopes of the 2.19, I wiil call a halt to the whole idea as I am not buying for the Daniel K name. It is only the allure of a finished ring that attracted me in the first place.

Please do not take my curiosity and temptation to mean that I have any issues with you. Quite the contrary, I would love to continue my relationship with GOG, but realize that you can not guarantee a drop-dead gorgeous setting befitting the 2.26 asscher.

If you would like to contact me regarding this, please don''t hesitate. You know the address.

Best regards as always,
35.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isaku, Jon is saying that he can price the same exact ring for you. That way you could buy it through him if it turns out to be what you want instead of the other stone. He has the advantage over the other vendor in that he can see both stones together if you are seriously interested in the Daniel K.

ETA: Well, going back and rereading, I was assuming this new vendor didn't have the stone in his possession, and if it is indeed at DK, then Jon can access it, too. I was just assuming that they didn't have it due to the fact they can't even give you a price on it.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2006 3:23:43 PM
Isaku, Jon is saying that he can price the same exact ring for you. That way you could buy it through him if it turns out to be what you want instead of the other stone. He has the advantage over the other vendor in that he can see both stones together if you are seriously interested in the Daniel K.
Thanks diamondseeker,

I''m surprised and pleased by your message. I didn''t realize (after reading his post twice!!!!) that he was willing to do that.
9.gif

That would be the ultimate
36.gif
36.gif
solution.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2006 3:31:13 PM

Date: 6/4/2006 3:23:43 PM
Thanks diamondseeker,

I''m surprised and pleased by your message. I didn''t realize (after reading his post twice!!!!) that he was willing to do that.
9.gif

That would be the ultimate
36.gif
36.gif
solution.
ETA I don''t think the other vendor has the asscher in his possession: otherwise, why the hesitation on sending pictures????

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it would be a great solution! From what I have seen, these designers have a computerized list of stock, and vendors can call in what they are interested in. That''s why I was assuming that Jon could access the same list and get the prices, too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results