carat
color
clarity

Leon 3 carat pad maybe I made a mistake

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
OP

Next you tell us that you bought it for 16K and sell it for 14K :naughty: :D

And in my opinion you made NO mistake buying this ring.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1432838652|3882338 said:
Accurate photography of colored gems is extremly difficult even if you have the best camera, lens, lighting and years of experience.

The vast majority of the public is drastically misinformed about photography.
There is this "the camera doesn't lie, only photoshop lies" mentality which is false on both counts.

What comes directly out of even the best cameras with the best lighting and environment is rarely true to life.
Correcting the pic to become more true-to-life happens in Photoshop, or a similar program.
Post processing is essential and, if done by a person with the goal of honesty not dishonesty, will result in a MORE true pic.

I'm sorry that you feel the gem does not match LM's pic.
But taking any pics and posting them proves nothing, absolutely nothing.
It only demonstrates how unreliable and not-believeable the photography process is.
I cringe several times a day here when people make judgements about gems based on pics taken by a hobbyist or a pro.
:knockout:

The only way to be truly confident about pic accuracy is to buy several colored gems from a vendor and discover that their pics are accurate.

Even though the ring does not meet your expectations I believe you'll have no trouble selling it, especially with an AGL report.

Also thanks for posting that LM accepted an offer 33% below list, at least in this case.
That is a powerful negotiating tool you have provided every person who reads this thread.

Good luck.

+1
Thank you Kenny, I have enjoyed your numerous Photoshop rants, as I agree with you 100%.

What I really hate to see is when someone says: "These pictures I took aren't how it actually looks to me, but gosh darn it, I'm going to post them anyway". This is not helpful, and often harmful. You may actually have a fantastic stone but photos lie and we all think, "gad that is hideous, return it!" so you do and miss out. Or, the vendor is branded for having "misleading" photos -misleading only in comparison to the consumer's photos, we don't actually know what the thing looks like.

It has been my experience in my profession that people always believe their eyes first, and rarely read descriptions (or follow directions).

BTW, OP: the photos you posted make this ring look gorgeous. Is it not that gorgeous in person, or do you think you just have buyers remorse?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PieAreSquared|1432841386|3882351 said:
BTW, OP: the photos you posted make this ring look gorgeous. Is it not that gorgeous in person, or do you think you just have buyers remorse?

I completely agree - it sure looks to be a drop dead gorgeous ring with a lovely heated pad from your photos. And it sounds like the Leon Mege setting is worth quite a bit - it is one of his settings, correct?

Pie: I also agree completely regarding your comment about people shopping with their eyes first. We all know that we must ask questions and carefully read the written descriptions, as well as judge by the photos. But still, photos do sell and everyone uses them for gem commerce, from rough to finished stone buyers and sellers. The caveat is that the photos should be as representative of what we see in hand (which, too, will change depending on one's longitude) and we buyers must be vigilant in learning which vendors have accurate photos - otherwise we bankrupt ourselves with the ancillary costs of shipping, etc. :(sad

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1432839172|3882342 said:
Kenny,
Most upstanding vendors do the best they can in trying to match the photograph to the stone. If it doesn't match up, they will make a note of it in the description. Many vendors have no qualms about making the pictures look better than the stone. I do not photoshop or make any colour correction. Yes, I take both accurate and inaccurate pictures this way, but I only post pictures that come even close to the actual stone. And yes, I throw out 100 bad pictures to get that 1 representative picture. If I were to purchase without relying on accurate pictures, I would be out thousands of dollars on shipping returns.

If the photo does not match up on whose monitor? In whose light conditions? A vendor in Bangkok or San Diego or Miami may post pictures that look 100% accurate to them. But if you are in Montreal or Dublin or Melbourne, will the gem look the same to you when it arrives? Probably not. Even their detailed description may not match up with what you see.

Excluding eBay sellers, and people selling very cheap stones, I do not believe any vendors that have a decent return policy purposely "make their pictures look better than the stone". What would be in it for them? Nothing but a lot of wasted time I suspect.

OP: I am sorry about your dilemma, but we all appreciate your honest candor. It is a good reminder to always read the fine print; buyer beware. I hope you find the solution you are looking for.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pie,
Actually, your question is very easy to answer. Gems love sunlight so when buying from Bangkok or country that is hot and sunny all the time, it will not look as nice in the USA, and probably worse in the Scandinavian countries. Gems photographed in San Diego and Miami will probably not look as nice when viewed in Maine. As odd as it sounds, some vendors do hope that the stone does not get returned. I've seen all too many cases here in PS where the buyer is too nice and feels awkward/mean in returning the stone to the vendor, and so ends up keeping a stone that he or she does not love.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
minousbijoux|1432842381|3882362 said:
The caveat is that the photos should be as representative of what we see in hand (which, too, will change depending on one's longitude) and we buyers must be vigilant in learning which vendors have accurate photos - otherwise we bankrupt ourselves with the ancillary costs of shipping, etc. :(sad
[/quote]

I agree 100% however comparing vendor photos with fellow PSer photos is still comparing photos, not the real thing. I have seen over and over conflicting views here of which vendors have the best/worst photo skills.
To me, the only way to know which vendors photos are "accurate" or maybe more important relevant to my locale, is to see their stones in hand, not digital images by other people. And you are right, depending on where buyers live, their experience may not represent what I would see anyway.
Yes, returns can get costly, but I think I usually save way more money buying online even having to return some stones, compared to settling for the overpriced, low quality, commercial-grade "gems" sold by many retail jewelers. Cheaper than sales tax sometimes too. :wink2:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
PieAreSquared|1432841386|3882351 said:
kenny|1432838652|3882338 said:
Accurate photography of colored gems is extremly difficult even if you have the best camera, lens, lighting and years of experience.

The vast majority of the public is drastically misinformed about photography.
There is this "the camera doesn't lie, only photoshop lies" mentality which is false on both counts.

What comes directly out of even the best cameras with the best lighting and environment is rarely true to life.
Correcting the pic to become more true-to-life happens in Photoshop, or a similar program.
Post processing is essential and, if done by a person with the goal of honesty not dishonesty, will result in a MORE true pic.

I'm sorry that you feel the gem does not match LM's pic.
But taking any pics and posting them proves nothing, absolutely nothing.
It only demonstrates how unreliable and not-believeable the photography process is.
I cringe several times a day here when people make judgements about gems based on pics taken by a hobbyist or a pro.
:knockout:

The only way to be truly confident about pic accuracy is to buy several colored gems from a vendor and discover that their pics are accurate.

Even though the ring does not meet your expectations I believe you'll have no trouble selling it, especially with an AGL report.

Also thanks for posting that LM accepted an offer 33% below list, at least in this case.
That is a powerful negotiating tool you have provided every person who reads this thread.

Good luck.

+1
Thank you Kenny, I have enjoyed your numerous Photoshop rants, as I agree with you 100%.

What I really hate to see is when someone says: "These pictures I took aren't how it actually looks to me, but gosh darn it, I'm going to post them anyway". This is not helpful, and often harmful. You may actually have a fantastic stone but photos lie and we all think, "gad that is hideous, return it!" so you do and miss out. Or, the vendor is branded for having "misleading" photos -misleading only in comparison to the consumer's photos, we don't actually know what the thing looks like.

It has been my experience in my profession that people always believe their eyes first, and rarely read descriptions (or follow directions).

:appl: :appl:

Excellent POST!!!!

Buyers remorse is something I noticed here several times - and then the stone is posted here to get arguments to send it back...

A bit unfair sometimes - imagine you offer a gem ( a real nice gem) on Loupetroop - I buy it and post it here that the stone is not beautiful ( with my very professional pictures :D ) - do you, dear PSer, think you can offer the stone again on LT and sell it??? Sometimes poor vendor!

In my opinion it is the best education to visit a larger or main gem show - compare Tsavos, Tanzanite etc. - maybe you have to spend some money for a hotel, a flight - but you will not regret it. You will see the whole color range of many stones and understand them much better...

An Kenny is right - we ( me too) judge gems from pictures - many here have a lot of experience but some have never seen a padparadscha for example in real life. But they give an advice whether somebody should buy or keep or return a stone....sometimes - sorry - ridiculous!

dori2002

Rough_Rock
I am starting to get the feeling I should not have started this topic at all. I am starting to get bashed. All I am saying, is I had a chance to get out of it and I didn't. My past experience with online vendors has always been I could return it if I wanted.That went out the door when I went ahead and bought it anyway. The stone in real life does not look like Leon's picture or my pictures. My intent was not to say see look it is not what I saw in the picture. My lesson is do not buy anything sight unseen without the ability to return it. Again not Leon's fault. I have no ulterior motive, and am not angry with Leon in any way.

img_8102.jpg

img_8103.jpg

img_8104.jpg

img_8105.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Add me to the list of those jealous and wanting this ring! It's beautiful, though I can appreciate the frustration with the transaction for sure.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dori, I'm sorry you are feeling bashed, I do think this thread has veered a little - I hope my post didn't contribute to you feeling badly.

The ring looks amazing on your hand! It's a beautiful ring and I love the color of the stone. I promise I'm not just saying this, I like the color in your pics better than Leon's pics. I also love oval halos, I think they are extremely flattering on the hand. How are you feeling about it now that you've had a chance to wear it for a while?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are the handshot pictures similar to what you see in person? If so, I think that's a gorgeous padparadscha colour. I am sorry that you were never given the option to return the ring, should it not be what you expected.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh I'm sorry you're being bashed. I completely understand the frustration you're feeling and I get why you made the thread.

I'll echo what everyone said in that the hand shots are stunning.

I hope whatever you decide it works out in the end. I think it will

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is beautiful and I agree with the others gemstone photography is super difficult I can make my own stones look many different colours depending on the room, the lighting, indoors or outdoors a whole range of factors.

I don't think this is your fault at all, at the end of the day it's your ring and you should LOVE it. List it on Loupetroop or consign it to Grace at Jewels by Grace and I am pretty sure you will have people lined up for it.

Another more difficult option if you love the setting would be to sell the centre stone and find something else you do love or get something specifically cut to go into that setting.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I'll agree that this thread did seem to develop a tone that I didn't personally like.

I, for one, really appreciate the info that the OP provided re: LM's absurd "return" (or lack thereof) policy. I've read a fair amount of negative things on PS about LM but have had no personal experience - I had no idea about this ridiculous policy. It's good information to have. After seeing the pad ring posted in the other thread, I browsed his site, and I was considering making an offer on a tsav ring he has ready to ship - but absolutely no way now. Way too risky.

The the OP - I must admit I do think the pad ring looks beautiful on you, and it's a lovely ring. However, I completely understand your disappointment. When buying a nonrefundable $12k ring based solely off of internet pics, I would certainly have the expectation that it should VERY closely resemble the pictures provided. Thank you for posting and I hope you find a resolution that makes you happy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dori, I am very sorry you are having this unpleasant experience especially when it should be an enjoyable one. Buying beautiful bling. I think it is a gorgeous ring and looks great on your hand but you are the only one whose opinion matters here. If you don't love the ring (and you should love it for that price) sell it. It seems as if there are a number of people in this thread who might be interested...Good luck and again I am sorry that the ring isn't what you hoped it would be and that Leon doesn't have a return policy.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
It's gorgeous! If your last time pictures are accurate and reflect what you see.
I like it better than Leon's photos, yours have a soft orange tone in it where his do not.
Really really gorgeous! Bravo! I think you should enjoy it :clap:

dori2002

Rough_Rock
The last three pictures closely resemble what it looks like in person. I am going to wear for a week, and then see how I feel. Thanks for all the supportive comments. Dori

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it!! More so in your pics than his. Hope you grow to love it once you get over the sticker shock, or make it all back in a quick sale.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dori, I'm sorry you're going through this. It's an unfortunate situation and I'm sorry you feel worse after posting. But I am glad you shared your story.

I think the ring looks lovely on your hand. I know the colour might not be what you hoped for but the ring itself looks very nice on you. We all have different preferences for colour so even if I like it it's your opinion that counts. I was going to suggest you wear it for a while and see if it grows on you but you've already made that decision. I've had it work both ways with rings and gemstones. I had one ring that I absolutely hated and I cried buckets after getting it and now I love it. I've had it happen in reverse as well. I have one ring that once the gemstone was set I looked at it and thought "it's nice but it's doesn't wow me". The more I wore it the more I liked it. Now I LOVE it and would never part with it. It's one of my favourites. I've discovered all it's little nuances and it never ceases to amaze me. I hope this happens to you with this ring. If it doesn't you can at least say you tried.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
NKOTB|1432853664|3882479 said:
I love it!! More so in your pics than his. Hope you grow to love it once you get over the sticker shock, or make it all back in a quick sale.

Ditto, it is quite a fabulous piece!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry it isn't what you were expecting and you are disappointed. I think it looks lovely on your hand and perhaps you might like it more after a few days of seeing it in different lighting situatins. If not, it sounds like many here like the ring so you could come out OK if you decide to sell. I agree with you that it is important to love it, not just think it is OK.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is there such a thing as a 'positive' pile on??? I am glad you posted about this experience as difficult as it was...........I'd only heard of LM in highest regard and hearing the reality of this situation is important information for people like me. And yet, here I am joining so many others in admiring the ring on your finger! You are the only person whose decision matters, but I'd be looking at it more than my food if we were dining at the same table...........heck, I'd probably be staring from a few tables away! :love:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think its a beautiful Padparadscha, it looks very nice on you and as others have mentioned, you got a good price.

But regardless, $12K is a lot of money and if you don't absolutely LOVE it personally, maybe it wasn't a good purchase for you. Since you can't return it, put the original picture out of your mind and wear it for a few days to see if you love it or not. The good news is that because of the price you got, you can probably sell it without taking a loss.

Did you buy it because you've always wanted a Pad or solely because you fell in love with the picture? I understand your disappointment because when I saw the vendor's picture, my first thought was "Now there's a Pad that even I would love to have (if I could afford)" I know that the Pad color tone, while wonderful, isn't for me personally so I would've been disappointed if I had bought the ring even if it is a gorgeous for what it is. Hope that makes sense.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dori - the ring looks beautiful on your hand. It really is stunning.

Sorry this has been a trying experience for you - buying and posting. But I suspect everyone who posted has your back and was trying to commiserate, even if it did not come across exactly that way. I hope after a week you love the ring. If not, then you can consider other options.

C

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dori,
Sorry you feel ganged up on. I think everyone sees an amazing padparadscha, the color is incredible! But if you don't absolutely love it, then it is a moot point. No returns on a $12,000 ring without having seen it is crazy town and I would be seriously let down if that were me.

On the bright side, I don't see you struggling to sell this ring should that be the avenue you choose. It is a fabulous, heirloom worthy treasure that someone will enjoy for many years to come!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
LM has a return policy but not if somebody uses "Make an offer" - but you saved 6500 $.

The pad is gorgous. Not these washed out stones - really nice. :appl:

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That's terrible service for a vendor. I can see if it was custom made or altered. How long after you received the ring did you ask to return it?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is very beautiful - if I had the money to spare, I'd happily buy it from you. But whether you like it is all that matters to whether you keep it or not, and the hand shots certainly look very different from the pic on the website that you based your purchase off of, so I can understand how that would be very frustrating. But I do think it would sell quickly if you don't want to keep it - there are always people coming through here looking for pads.

makeable

Shiny_Rock
I'm so glad you started this thread. I almost purchased from him and I'm glad I hesitated. I can't imagine not accepting returns on an in stock piece of jewelry even if you're not paying the full price. An odd policy IMO. That being said the ring is beautiful. It looks like it has that distinct orangy pink that's so coveted by collectors. But sometimes as lovely as the jewelry is an unexpected and rather startling experience can taint one's feelings about it. You already have interest in the ring. Should you decide to sell it please us know.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I think the OP was expecting a bright, hot pink sapphire.

That's basically what Leon's picture shows.

If I were expecting a vivid, hot pink, I'd be disappointed in a delicate pad color, no matter how beautiful.

I hope Leon is reading this, because obviously this ring would have sold long ago if it had been priced right ($12K v $18K). One poster mentions seeing it for years on his site.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results