shape
carat
color
clarity

Leon 3 carat pad maybe I made a mistake

dori2002

Rough_Rock
I will preface this post with I do not blame Leon at all. I saw this ring posted on "someones got to buy this ring" a few days ago, and though what a lovely color. It was listed at 18500, so without really thinking it thru, I put in offer of 12000 thinking it will get rejected and I can go on my merry way. Well the offer was excepted. The first thing I did was check the return policy, ah there was none. I emailed Leon and then called, he said sorry all sales are final, and the ring was very nice. I had given him my credit card, and still owed him the balance, at that point I could have disputed the charge with AX and probably gotten out of the sale, but I did not,and sent him the rest of the money. My mistake was assuming there was a return policy, as I have bought from many vendors recommended from pricescope, and they all allowed returns. I take full responsibility and learned a lesson. I hope I remember to always ask about the return policy before pushing the button. It is not a bad ring, the actual color is not as vibrant or pink, the stone to me does not have a lot of color maybe that is inherent with most pads I have not seen them in person only in pictures. Sorry for the long monologue.

_30646.jpg

img_8095.jpg

img_8097.jpg

img_8099.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no! Well that's sucks you dont like it, it really seems like a sticking ring of it looks like the first picture posted. And 12k seems very fair.

Post or on loupetroop or have it consigned. I think it would sell quickly at that price.

If only I had the money.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me know if you want to sell it, I won't deal with Leon any more for that reason - he makes up his own rules of engagement, sometimes as he goes along and many of them defy what is fair and reasonable to expect from decent vendors. My details can be found pretty easily on Loupetroop, or if you list it on there I am sure people will make you offers!!!! Out of curiosity did it come with a proper certificate stating it is a genuine Pad sapphire or is it just a pink sapphire he has labelled as such?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I had the money I'd buy it from you.. it looks regal, like royal jewels.. it's truly beautiful! I'd say it's not a mistake. it's a piece of art.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe you just need a few days to see if it grows on you or not. What colour were you expecting?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The question, as mentioned, is what were you expecting? I know that Leon amps up his pictures and videos through artful background usage and such. His picture looks very pink but a true padparadscha will be a soft pink/orange combination. Rarely will it be a strong colouration. I presume the stone is heated? Did you purchase it based on the colour or the name, or both?

dori2002

Rough_Rock
I took a lot of pic's, those where the clearest. I certainly did not pick the worst ones. The ring absolutely looks different in person, not like Leon's picture or my pictures. To me it looks like a pastel color, I was hoping it would look exactly like his picture. Thanks for the feedback.

_30647.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dori2002|1432813895|3882164 said:
I took a lot of pic's, those where the clearest. I certainly did not pick the worst ones. The ring absolutely looks different in person, not like Leon's picture or my pictures. To me it looks like a pastel color, I was hoping it would look exactly like his picture. Thanks for the feedback.

Do you have any pictures that turned out blurry but represents the color you see?

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
If it looks anything like your first photo I think the colour is beautiful and the ring of course is gorgeous.

Having said that, you don't seem to love it, and at that price I think you should love it to keep it.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take or post a pic of what you actually see and then one on your hand in lighting which represents the colour closest to what you actually see. The vendor pic is on a black background - as the others have already suggested which "amps up" the colour so far your pics are not showing that much of an unexpected difference in colour.

shulaibaoma

Shiny_Rock
Frankly, I just like the ring so much and I wish I have money to buy it. Enjoy the ring, it is good color good setting and good everything........ :hand:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry that your purchase was disappointing!

Pads are supposed to be a delicate pink orange and I think a more vivid color would mean its not really a pad. I don't know that AGL would give their seal of approval for vivid pink orange (they may I don't know I've just never seen a vivid one called a pad before)

But there are some good sides to this; Its beautiful and, its a real pad, that AGL brief gives weight lots of weight to that
Plus, its a Leon, and a really lovely one too. The Leon I priced out for my anniversary ring would have STARTED at 7K. Yeah that wasn't gonna happen!!

And as much as I like the JbG Sapphire, its NOT a pad, and did not get the seal of approval from AGL that it was. Its still pretty but NOT a pad and a non pad should never be called one.

That may not help considering its not what you wanted but its really a beautiful ring with great workmanship. Maybe give it a couple of days, see it in all types of lighting, and if you still don't want to keep it, put it up for sale. I don't think you'll have a problem selling this one if you go that route.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The padparadscha in this Basel Gem Show video at 13:38 is vivid and TDF. :love: It used to be that only the pale orange/pinks from Sri Lanka only could be considered a padparadscha but this has now changed to include stones from other locations and stones with stronger saturation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPWu9xqGk3E

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This makes me so sad. I watched this ring for literally years. I had hoped whoever bought it would love it as much as I have admired it from afar.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Arcadian I thought AGL classified the stone as a pad and that' was why it was advertised as such. You're right there's no copy of the AGL report on the website. I agree with what you said.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pad sapphires do come in a darker pinky orange but in this size these days expect because they are becoming fairly rare to pay 4 to 5 times the price or more of this stone/ring for a decent one.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1432819657|3882201 said:
The padparadscha in this Basel Gem Show video at 13:38 is vivid and TDF. :love: It used to be that only the pale orange/pinks from Sri Lanka only could be considered a padparadscha but this has now changed to include stones from other locations and stones with stronger saturation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPWu9xqGk3E

Thanks Chrono. you were NOT kidding about vivid! I would imagine that the more vivid hues are mega money too no matter the size. The way they designate is so darn hard to keep up with.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovinggems|1432820397|3882208 said:
Arcadian I thought AGL classified the stone as a pad and that's why it was advertised as such. You're right there's no copy of the AGL report on the website. I agree with what you said.

I would have on site thought it was a pad, but according to their writeup, if reading it correctly, its classified as orangey pink. Its not heated but still, shouldn't be called a pad if its not. Its a fine line to walk you know?

@arkieb1, thanks for the info. I have to admit I would be interested to see the pricing on a 'vivid' pad of about the same size. My eyes would probably pop out of my head but still....lol

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1432821152|3882212 said:
Lovinggems|1432820397|3882208 said:
Arcadian I thought AGL classified the stone as a pad and that's why it was advertised as such. You're right there's no copy of the AGL report on the website. I agree with what you said.

I would have on site thought it was a pad, but according to their writeup, if reading it correctly, its classified as orangey pink. Its not heated but still, shouldn't be called a pad if its not. Its a fine line to walk you know?

@arkieb1, thanks for the info. I have to admit I would be interested to see the pricing on a 'vivid' pad of about the same size. My eyes would probably pop out of my head but still....lol

http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/padparadscha-sapphire.htm

I have always thought of the top coloured ones as a colour shifting flamingo pink paler than the examples in this article but darker than the OPs stone - but the stones I have seen and liked were excessive dollar wise. If I find any pics tomorrow I will post them as it's very late into the am now here.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry that you don't love your ring. I didn't realize that Leon didn't allow returns even on ready-made/off the shelf jewelry pieces..

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It may have come as a shock that the bid was accepted and that you have spent so much money. Even though it seems a great price for this gorgeous ring. Give it some time to see whether it grows on you. I am sure you will not have any difficulties selling this ring!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I did not know that any vendor with such a quality reputation would be so difficult. I don't really understand someone of that caliber having a no return policy. :(sad

It was overvalued at $18.5K. After all, it is a heated padparadscha sapphire, not an unheated one. But that said, it is sizable and you have the AGL brief denoting it as a padparadscha. You don't know origin (I maintain that these days I'm not sure origin plays as big a part as it used to). The biggest downside is that its not as nice as represented. Depending upon its true color - and not the amped up color portrayed by Leon Mege - the stone is likely worth in the $6K - $9K range. The setting would make up the difference, so at $12K, it is likely worth what you paid for it, if that is any consolation.

I am sorry that he is not customer service oriented.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
The AGL report says it's a pad. Look at the top line, everybody. :wavey:

It's a rare object, OP. That is a very good price for it. I thought 18K was too high, but 12K is a deal, quite frankly.

Here's a much smaller stone, and it's $7K. http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/one-time-price-reduction-was-8000-dollars-dot-00-now-7000-dollars-dot-00-2-dot-29-cts-magnificent-agl-report-padparascha-sapph

As the carat weight grows, the rarity grows, and the price goes up exponentially. I think the price you paid, covers the stone at 10K, and even a cheap setting would cost $2K.

If you decide you don't like it, email Christies or Sotheby's, send pics, and they will give you an auction estimate. I suspect you may end up making money on it. :naughty:

Minous- I'm not surprised about Leon, he has had plenty of posters commenting on his attitude over the years. I don't think much of him, quite frankly.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
A ring offered for 18500 - your offer ( 12000 = around 63% ) was accepted and the FIRST thing is you try to find is the return policy????

Not "HURRAY" - I got this fantastic ring???

dori2002

Rough_Rock
I just wanted the option to return it if wasn't something that didn't wow me. I have never had that problem with any other vendor, but again I take full responsibility. My fault not Leon. Do not most people like to see what they are buying. I am going to take a few outdoor pic's a little latter. Thanks again for the feedback.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dori2002|1432828311|3882256 said:
I just wanted the option to return it if wasn't something that didn't wow me. I have never had that problem with any other vendor, but again I take full responsibility. My fault not Leon. Do not most people like to see what they are buying. I am going to take a few outdoor pic's a little latter. Thanks again for the feedback.

Did Leon tell you that there's no return before or after you paid for it? Even if you negotiated a price, you wouldn't have been obligated to pay if the contractual agreements weren't to your liking. This would have been the time to ask about returns. If he said no returns at this point, then you ideally would have said no thanks and continued on. AFTER money has exchanged hands, generally that means you and he are in some sense contractually obligated. But there's loopholes in that too. If you feel the item is misrepresented, then you have the option of going through your credit card and receiving a refund.

Though many of us feel it was an excellent deal, only you can decide if it was really worth it. And no ring does you any good if it sits there unworn or unloved, KWIM?

We can't make you love it, but man, that ring is sure on a lot of people's wish lists! :lol:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dori, sorry about all of this…I too would have thought that such a high-priced item would have some kind of return policy, we're not talking about a $100 item off of ebay for goodness sake. But that said, your story is a cautionary one and it highlights the importance of checking for a return policy before hitting the buy button, so thank you for sharing your experience. I know it probably didn't make you feel great to share it.

And, this probably won't help, but FWIW I think the ring is absolutely stunning and it does seem to me that you paid a very reasonable price for it. The setting alone is very expensive. I love the color of the stone in your pics, and the setting oooh la la. I hope you can begin to feel better about this whole thing, but if not I'm sure you could sell it. I don't know if you're in the mood, but could you post a few hand shots so that I can drool a little more? One thing is for sure, it is a really gorgeous ring.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Accurate photography of colored gems is extremly difficult even if you have the best camera, lens, lighting and years of experience.

The vast majority of the public is drastically misinformed about photography.
There is this "the camera doesn't lie, only photoshop lies" mentality which is false on both counts.

What comes directly out of even the best cameras with the best lighting and environment is rarely true to life.
Correcting the pic to become more true-to-life happens in Photoshop, or a similar program.
Post processing is essential and, if done by a person with the goal of honesty not dishonesty, will result in a MORE true pic.

I'm sorry that you feel the gem does not match LM's pic.
But taking any pics and posting them proves nothing, absolutely nothing.
It only demonstrates how unreliable and not-believeable the photography process is.
I cringe several times a day here when people make judgements about gems based on pics taken by a hobbyist or a pro. :knockout:

The only way to be truly confident about pic accuracy is to buy several colored gems from a vendor and discover that their pics are accurate.

Even though the ring does not meet your expectations I believe you'll have no trouble selling it, especially with an AGL report.

Also thanks for posting that LM accepted an offer 33% below list, at least in this case.
That is a powerful negotiating tool you have provided every person who reads this thread.

Good luck.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1432838652|3882338 said:
I cringe several times a day here when people make judgements about gems based on pics. :knockout:

Kenny,
Most upstanding vendors do the best they can in trying to match the photograph to the stone. If it doesn't match up, they will make a note of it in the description. Many vendors have no qualms about making the pictures look better than the stone. I do not photoshop or make any colour correction. Yes, I take both accurate and inaccurate pictures this way, but I only post pictures that come even close to the actual stone. And yes, I throw out 100 bad pictures to get that 1 representative picture. If I were to purchase without relying on accurate pictures, I would be out thousands of dollars on shipping returns.

ETA
Forgot to add that I always ask additional questions and request hand shots. Leon probably will not provide additional pictures but should be able to answer more questions about the stone. Although lab report and brief pictures are not meant to show colour, I also look at them to give me some clues as to their colour (how much photo manipulation has taken place or how inaccurate the vendor's pictures might be). In this particular case, the sapphire looks baby pink, which tells me that it probably isn't highly saturated in person. I am sorry that the stone isn't what you expected. You paid a fair price for it though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results