shape
carat
color
clarity

Yssie's reset thread!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A big part of me cannot believe I'm saying this, but...

I've had it for a couple of weeks now, and I'm realising that I'm not entirely thrilled with some aspects - namely the way the trellis structure meets the shank. I was disappointed to learn that VC is not willing to work on it further, as it might irreversibly change its condition.

I am torn. On the one hand it was a LOT of money to spend to not be completely over the moon, and the objective is to be completely over the moon.

On the other hand - this ring is beautiful in its own right, and it's merely unfortunate that my main gripe *is* such a visible aspect of it.

And if I had a third hand - custom work does often take multiple iterations to achieve aesthetic perfection - I found this with Butterflies, so I don't know why I am so surprised that that might be the same case with this more complex design.

I'm certainly not going to have another vendor work on this ring, if the maker, who knows it intimately, is unwilling to do so. So I suppose we'll see if I learn to look past it, or if it bothers me enough to take some other action... DH is a gem, he is supportive of whatever I choose.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie, I really hate to hear this, but I can see why Victor doesn't want to touch it. He already has said he'd never make another because of the difficulty and time it took to make this one. It took you three tries to get the 3 stone ring right, and I loved the last version. So it was worth pursuing the better versions. I don't think anyone else can outdo Victor, and I doubt anyone will invest the time to make and then rework a ring when they have already done the best they can at achieving what you have asked for. I am glad your husband is supportive, and I am glad mine is too! But really, I wish you could love this ring because I am not sure who could achieve the perfection you are after besides Victor. {{{hugs}}}

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh Yssie, that stinks! I'm sorry that you're not in love with every tiny iota of your new ring. I agree with you that if VC isn't comfortable tweaking it anymore, then it probably can't be tweaked safely. I'm so glad that your DH is supportive either way. It would be tough if he wasn't. I hope that you grow to accept that part of your ring and learn to love it over time. It truly is gorgeous!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie, please don't shoot me :rodent: , but I honestly think this design would have been best as a CAD/cast job. It's not at all that Victor didn't do a great job (he is a master!), but I think this trellis is just so hard to create and refine by hand. Is that sort of what you're thinking, too? If you could do anything right now, what would you want to do? I want you to be 100% thrilled!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1321919901|3066408 said:
Yssie, I really hate to hear this, but I can see why Victor doesn't want to touch it. He already has said he'd never make another because of the difficulty and time it took to make this one. It took you three tries to get the 3 stone ring right, and I loved the last version. So it was worth pursuing the better versions. I don't think anyone else can outdo Victor, and I doubt anyone will invest the time to make and then rework a ring when they have already done the best they can at achieving what you have asked for. I am glad your husband is supportive, and I am glad mine is too! But really, I wish you could love this ring because I am not sure who could achieve the perfection you are after besides Victor. {{{hugs}}}

That, DS, is one of my main concerns.

I would not want anyone working on this ring - or, indeed, replicating the design, as I don't think there's a way to do this *better*, certainly not fully handforged - VC's workmanship is very good.

It's unfortunate that the one specific element is very visible - a remake would require a design change. I have some thinking to do over the next several days/weeks. Is having a fully handforged piece very important to me? Is having aesthetic perfection very important to me? Is it important enough to take active action?

Thanks yenny... I really don't want to sound like I'm fit for the loony bin. I am just that nitpicky, and I feel like it was pricey enough to warrant the pickiness, so I don't feel I'm being unreasonable in wanting the look *I* want - it's so unfortunate that the super smooth transition I want is incompatible with hand-forging this piece, and that we didn't know this beforehand! I understand why VC doesn't want to work on it further, if durability is a concern - and I'm certainly not going to have someone else work on it! So... I'm just not sure... Well, we'll see how I feel in the coming days!

This is the specific element I'm referring to - the abrupt change from shank to trellis structure.

Comparison-Bulge.jpg

We added a triangular engraving to aid the visual transition, but it's still more visible than I would like, and the side-view is also affected:

Comparison-Bulge2.jpg
SideViewExplanation.jpg

Laila - you are correct. I tempted fate by choosing a design and a method of manufacture that were incompatible, and that necessitated me having less control over the final look and feel than is apparently my limit, and I lost the gamble.

If I could do anything right now... I would have it remade. I had a lovely meeting with a fantastic vendor Sunday, who does lovely work - and more importantly is local (or, at least, local enough to have some of these discussions in-person, and I am realising maybe this is just something I must never compromise on), and in talking to him this evening he gave me an off-hand quote that was very reasonable. But I am emotional right now - it's been a long couple of days and I recognise that I may be taking everything to extremes.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I agree that does look abrupt I think because the thickness of the shank and the trellis are not the same. Can just a little more gold be added to the trellis so it matches the sides of the shank and flows better?

And I would not say you 'lost' as it's still a lovely VC piece!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1321921379|3066426 said:
Yes, I agree that does look abrupt I think because the thickness of the shank and the trellis are not the same. Can just a little more gold be added to the trellis so it matches the sides of the shank and flows better?

Apparently not - it was one of the first things I asked about actually. Apparently it's very difficult to make adding metal afterward look good, and putting more heat near solder points can be damaging :sick:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1321921532|3066429 said:
Laila619|1321921379|3066426 said:

Apparently not - it was one of the first things I asked about actually. Apparently it's very difficult to make adding metal afterward look good, and putting more heat near solder points can be damaging :sick:

Oh, darn. I thought that could be a nice, quick fix.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you able to show us through drawing what you would ideally like it to look like? Is it the angle that the last stone creates that makes it more difficult to do?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila - Yeah, I did too! I asked about actually shaving a fillet in too, instead of engraving the triangle, but that would remove too much metal, so that's not a possibility.

ETA: yes, it is!

MGR - from what I understand it's not the number or angle of stones, it's the fact that the trellis wires are wires and the shank was a bar with rectangular cross-section that was rounded out by filing the corners. The endprong is a single wire soldered into the box, which causes the side-view in the pic. The trellis wires are single wires soldered into the cross-section of the shank, which creates the abrupt side-transition.

What I'd ideally like is to literally splice them together, with the "What I Like" side view from above -

ideal_1.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, makes sense.

I guess it now comes down to whether or not you can live with it as is or if you want to start all over again. I think you're wise to heed the fact that you're very emotional about it right now and by all means you'd not want to rush your decision. My heart hurts for you and the unfortunate place this puts you in.

However, on the bright side, it's a beautiful ring and I'm sure it garners its fair share of oohs and aahs! You'll just have to figure out if the ring as a whole is acceptable or whether that one design element warrants starting all over. Starting over requires more emotion and of course, more dollars. It's a tough call to make but one that fortunately, doesn't have to be made today. You could wear and enjoy this ring for six months or six years without having to make a decision. My guess though is that you're very impatient to have this done and over - one way or another. Good luck to you and lots of hugs!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Yssie, I am so sorry you are going through this! I have no advice to offer except to take your time in deciding what to do and the main thing is that you have a darling supportive husband who will stand by you no matter what you decide. It is a gorgeous ring but I totally see what you are saying and the question is can you still love the ring despite its "imperfection". I know I am thankful my dh loves me despite my (numerous) imperfections (so even though I am not a ring) -imperfect can sometimes work!
Big hugs!!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yssie I am so sorry to hear this...obviously you have put a lot of time, effort, and thought into each iteration of your (stunning!) ring...

do you think part of the problem is that in the new design, there is no trellis wire connecting inward from the last sidestone, creating that awkward gap? (it's not really awkward but I can't think of any other words at the moment)

I have to run now but I will try to post some pictures of what I mean.

anyway, either way it really is a gorgeous piece yssie...I just hope you can find something that you are truly happy with!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1321924698|3066460 said:
OK, makes sense.

I guess it now comes down to whether or not you can live with it as is or if you want to start all over again. I think you're wise to heed the fact that you're very emotional about it right now and by all means you'd not want to rush your decision. My heart hurts for you and the unfortunate place this puts you in.

However, on the bright side, it's a beautiful ring and I'm sure it garners its fair share of oohs and aahs! You'll just have to figure out if the ring as a whole is acceptable or whether that one design element warrants starting all over. Starting over requires more emotion and of course, more dollars. It's a tough call to make but one that fortunately, doesn't have to be made today. You could wear and enjoy this ring for six months or six years without having to make a decision. My guess though is that you're very impatient to have this done and over - one way or another. Good luck to you and lots of hugs!!

Thank you MGR, you are wise.

Could I live with it? Absolutely. Could I live with it knowing how much was spent, and knowing that I don't love love love it after all of that? That's what I don't know, but I know myself well enough to have my doubts.

I am so fortunate in that we can afford to fix it right away if I want. And you are right, every part of me is saying Fix Now, but... if I *do* reset, I will be doing so very, very, very carefully, triple checking each step and quadruple checking every last detail...

DH is watching a youtube clip on loop and cackling like a hyena every thirty seconds - of the jacksonville QB rookie throw the ball away backward and losing an extra ten yards, apparently the hair tackle is next ::)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
slg47|1321925453|3066468 said:
yssie I am so sorry to hear this...obviously you have put a lot of time, effort, and thought into each iteration of your (stunning!) ring...

do you think part of the problem is that in the new design, there is no trellis wire connecting inward from the last sidestone, creating that awkward gap? (it's not really awkward but I can't think of any other words at the moment)

anyway, either way it really is a gorgeous piece yssie...I just hope you can find something that you are truly happy with!!

Hmm... please do post a picture, I think I understand what you're saying but I'm not sure?

One of the design changes I was considering was something like this, but as far as I can tell the threestone and the fivestone *could* meet the shank in the same way, so it should be more of a preference of look than a necessity... well - as far as I can tell!

DESIGNCHANGE.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like that - makes a more uniform look as well!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1321926027|3066478 said:

Hmm... please do post a picture, I think I understand what you're saying but I'm not sure?

One of the design changes I was considering was something like this, but as far as I can tell the threestone and the fivestone *could* meet the shank in the same way, so it should be more of a preference of look than a necessity... well - as far as I can tell!

DESIGNCHANGE.jpg

YES! That would look so much better! :appl:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh? Thanks MGR, Laila, it's good to have PSers' input!

Kinda like this in profile, only with the shank tapering to the thickness of the single end-prong -

sevenstone.png

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Oh Yssie, I am sorry that you aren't 1000% happy. Your ring is GORGEOUS a work of art! but i understand that you want to be completely happy with the ring.

I like your solution and think it would look better and more organic if it is possible.

If you do get a new setting made, what would you do with this one? :Up_to_something:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bella_mezzo|1321929605|3066522 said:
Oh Yssie, I am sorry that you aren't 1000% happy. Your ring is GORGEOUS a work of art! but i understand that you want to be completely happy with the ring.

I like your solution and think it would look better and more organic if it is possible.

If you do get a new setting made, what would you do with this one? :Up_to_something:

Thank you Bella - and absolutely no idea!

Totally OT but DH and I were discussing this afternoon and I showed him some of your FHH posts - I swear his grin was a mile wide :bigsmile:

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Yssie, I think your reset is beautiful!! But, at the risk of sounding blunt, I think the problem you're encountering is due to a conflict between your idealized view and the ability to achieve that look in reality. Handmade and handforged have certain limitations, and the jewelsmith has the knowledge to know what is possible to execute and what is not. The reason these types of design are cast is to give them the structural integrity to last. Yes, they may look a bit thicker, and it may be hard to understand why the "trellis" heads cannot be handmade. You've just found out why. I think you're going to have to decide what is most important to you, handmade or swoopy.

I did think the triple wire approach would have worked. I am one of the people who have the Beverly K design with the triple wire and I find it quite comfortable to wear. I also like how their is still the delicate look of wire, but more structural strength. I wish you the best and hope you can find your perfect ring!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Uppy. I appreciate your thoughts.

It's interesting - I had all sorts of hesitations and concerns about going handforged, but this wasn't one of them. In fact, this wasn't even something I *thought* about as a potential limitation - I just assumed it would be done the way the WF is done, because that's all I've ever seen!

And I suppose VC didn't warn me because he didn't think of it as a potential limitation either, because despite the number of things I thought to specify to the nth, at no point did I explicitly draw out the trellis/shank meet... had I known I would have chosen tri-wire, though.

If the choice you give me is indeed my choice - handmade vs. aesthetic - aesthetic is going to win every time. I honestly didn't know that was my choice, and of course there were no sketches or waxes or CADs to warn either of us of upcoming disagreements! I suppose certain people are just not cut out for lack of foresight in design, and I'm one of them...

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1321927980|3066502 said:
Yssie|1321926027|3066478 said:

DESIGNCHANGE.jpg

YES! That would look so much better! :appl:

yes, that is what I meant...I was just not sure how to word it...in your example you have the end prong connecting to part of the trellis instead of just being part of the shank.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohh Yssie I'm sorry it's not everything you'd hoped for! FWIW, I adore it the way it is, but it's not mine so..you do what you feel is right. I like the pic of it upside down where you drew in how you'd like it..it kind of cups the stone and is very pretty.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I almost hate to say this, but since you already are reconsidering the design, I actually liked how the last setting did the 6:00 and 12:00 prongs on the center stone better, too. Then those arms could have swooped up to one of the smaller stones instead of up to the center stone. That really did not cross my mind until you posted the old setting next to the new one.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Packy, DS.

Packy - The extra cup prong - I don't know what else to call it - is definitely something I will broach, should this turn into a re-design!

DS - I'm pretty set on 8 prongs on the centre, in one form or another - I simply adore the top-view in-person :love: Can you see a good way to turn those sorts of prongs at 6 and 12 o'clock into an 8prong design on the centre? I'm open to pretty drastic re-designs, so if you think of anything please do post even if it's not particularly close to what I have now.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1321935380|3066591 said:
I actually liked how the last setting did the 6:00 and 12:00 prongs on the center stone better

I do too, DS. Only because I think the prong orientation at 6:00 and 12:00 gives the center stone a very nice round outline. But eight prongs is still nice, too.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1321938042|3066612 said:
diamondseeker2006|1321935380|3066591 said:
I actually liked how the last setting did the 6:00 and 12:00 prongs on the center stone better

I do too, DS. Only because I think the prong orientation at 6:00 and 12:00 gives the center stone a very nice round outline. But eight prongs is still nice, too.

Haha I suppose I could work my way up to 12... I suspect it'd look rather like antennae, though :halo:

missy I missed your post earlier, I don't know how! Thank you, though. We'll see what happens, I guess. DH is being a real gem about all of this.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie

I am so sorry your ring is not everything you thought it would be. I cannot even begin to comprehend how you are feeling right now. I can only hope you find a way to make this right, whatever that may mean. Your ring is a beauty. One that you created. You did a wonderful job and I hope you can find peace with it. Sending you a hug.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Yssie, I like the changes that you have made to the design, incorporating the last stones prong into the trellis . Can you get it redone before I do mine? :tongue: kidding. :mrgreen: :halo:

I think if you are not 100% happy with it right now it's probably not going to improve and if your hubby is happy for you to have a re-do then I say go for it! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results