shape
carat
color
clarity

Yoo hoo Yssie! Metal question for you :-)

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
ringcat|1386161600|3567284 said:
valmanin|1386123634|3567061 said:
ringcat|1385542621|3563767 said:
Not sure if you are still reading this Val or Yssie, but Val, I am also wanting to set my M stone in UPWG, and like yourself am thinking solitaire. But have the same concerns as you:

1 - how will it look on my olive skin in a solitaire? I too have only seen UPWG in elaborate settings.

2 - I like to get stacking bands in plat to go with my other solitaire and wonder if it will look good with UPWG?

Would anyone have pics of 18k UPWG set against platinum or WG?

Hope you see this Val! :wavey:

Hi ringcat! I just looked this thread up for reference on something else and saw your post! Sorry I didn't see it before.

I would think UWG (in general...of course there are many different alloys) would look lovely on olive skin. I actually found a local jeweler who had a few UWG pieces. I tried them on and was quite underwhelmed at how they looked on my skin tone. Kind of ho hum...blended in. :| But, I don't have olive skin...my undertone is more pink.

What kind of solitaire are you thinking of? For some reason I really feel like most metals lend themselves more to certain designs. In general, though, I think UWG would look nice in a solitaire...it would be more subtle (ie. have less contrast with your M color stone) than platinum. It would be an overall softer look. Would you like that?

I had a platinum band on when I tried on the UWG. I wasn't crazy about the look together. The platinum made the UWG look kind of dirty or off. But, next to YG it looked warm and beautiful.

Would love to hear more about your project. Good luck! ;-)

Hopefully Yssie will see this and chime in for you. :D

Hi Val,

Thanks for seeing this and posting. I have been following the thread on your Tiffany Lotus inspired setting. Your stone is just amazing!!!

I have a 2.07 M AVR that I am trying to set. I think UPWG would work for me. Hubby likes the colour of Yssie's 5 stone 18UPWG-palladium alloy. I think I would like to go UPWG too. At first I was looking at 18kUPWG nickel, but now I am also considering palladium 18kUPWG. However, my concern is matching bands to it, and I havent found a way round it yet.

I do find what you said about "The platinum made the UWG look kind of dirty or off" to be true. So, now I am thinking perhaps at 18kUPWG nickel may be better. It is more akin to YG.

LOL! I am still very confused and conflicted as to what to do.

For a setting, I am looking at Vatche U113 type settings but with a comfort fit band, instead of tapered knife edge. For now I think I am after a semi-temporary setting. I want to get to know the stone first before I do something elaborate with it. The other reason is I think I may want to upgrade in about 5 years too.

For a band, I love the this JM band of Coati's:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...es-caleb-meyer-ann-mckay-and-the-like.108008/
and I love this stack:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-antique-cushion-solitaire-has-some-new-pals.168614/

So, I think I will get the solitaire and JM style band to match in the UPWG, and then with my other stackers, I may be confined to plat if I want to wear them with my other rings too.

I have to say I love that set of coati's. But I already have bezels and I would like a prong set solitaire this time.

Thanks for spotting this Val. I hope Yssie spots it too.

Excited to hear about your AVR! Diamondseeker has her 2.29 AVR (I think that's the size?) mounted in the Vatche U-113 and it looks :love: !!!
It is true that matching metals becomes a problem with the UWG. I think it matters what kind of person you are. I have recently discovered that I am not a matchy-matchy girl (well, I knew that, but now I realize it with jewelry as well). I think with the right style/panache you could pull off throwing together all different metals. I know Bastecat mixes and matches all her metals, plat, UWG, YG, etc. and it looks great on her! But, some people really like everything to match. Totally understandable. So, which kind of person are you? :D

Here is my thread about mixing: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/metal-color-referencee-rg-yg-wg-all-together.195366/

If you are the matching type, you could go two ways: 1. UWG and get a matching band from the same vendor. I wouldn't mess around with getting UWG from a different vendor...that would be a real PITA. 2. Just go with platinum! It is timeless, elegant and you can match bands to your hearts content. Plus, I really think the Tiffany repros just look great in plat.

ringcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Val, thank you so much for the link to the thread and the advice.

I am a non-matchy matchy person :)

So I think I am going to go UWG! I may get a band made to match in the same gold but after that, I think I will just mix and match whatever I have... YG, RG, plat... I think only trial and error on my own skin is ultimately going to give me the right answer.

Your 20k RG sounds delicious- can't wait to see!!! Following your thread closely, your stone is amazing and your ring is going to be TDF!!

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
ringcat|1386214579|3567914 said:
Val, thank you so much for the link to the thread and the advice.

I am a non-matchy matchy person :)

So I think I am going to go UWG! I may get a band made to match in the same gold but after that, I think I will just mix and match whatever I have... YG, RG, plat... I think only trial and error on my own skin is ultimately going to give me the right answer.

Your 20k RG sounds delicious- can't wait to see!!! Following your thread closely, your stone is amazing and your ring is going to be TDF!!

Sounds like a good plan. I do think having one matching band is good because you can make a little RG or YG sandwich with it and everything flows!

Thanks for the compliment on my stone. I do love and miss her!

ringcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That sandwich thing is a great idea! I like it!

Thank you for your help V. I am pretty sure that's what I am going to do now! :appl:

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
ringcat|1386257369|3568100 said:
That sandwich thing is a great idea! I like it!

Thank you for your help V. I am pretty sure that's what I am going to do now! :appl:

We need to see a pic of your AVR!!! :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results