shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow - The DREADED color in diamonds...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
This post is not directed to anyone in particular nor I am writing this to upset anyone either...
Just somewhat venting out perhaps?

Is owning a colorless diamond (like a D color) a "status" thing for people?
I mean, I like colorless diamonds but to me... they are MEH ( on me ) I love to admire them on other people though.
Years ago I discovered the "lower" end of the spectrum of the color grading scale and a new world sorta opened itself to me that I never knew I''''d find fascinating... I LOVE yellow-warm diamonds. I just do. Their color flashes dance is just mezmerizing in my eyes and they have a personnality that I have not been able to find in other stones...

I think sporting a warm colored diamond in a white setting is all about personnality, just like a haircut.
To me, there is no right or wrong. I think a Z colored diamond would look aweomse in a rose gold setting. I think that a J-K-L looks great in a white setting, either with yellow diamonds in a halo (a la DiaDiva ) or even with pink diamonds! There is no boundaries and the sky is the limit! It''''s all about creativity here and how we can put in real our own preferences... Diamonds, colored stones, gold colors etc can give us such a beautiful canvas to open creativity... I just love to see what people do with that canvas... I guess I love PS and all of the beautiful people on here and the wonderful eye candy that is shared...

Hmmm... After reading my post, I guess it doesn''''t really have a point lol. Just thinking aloud... :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/16/2009 9:04:32 AM
Author:Amethyste

This post is not directed to anyone in particular nor I am writing this to upset anyone either...
Just somewhat venting out perhaps?

Is owning a colorless diamond (like a D color) a 'status' thing for people?
I mean, I like colorless diamonds but to me... they are MEH ( on me ) I love to admire them on other people though.
Years ago I discovered the 'lower' end of the spectrum of the color grading scale and a new world sorta opened itself to me that I never knew I'd find fascinating... I LOVE yellow-warm diamonds. I just do. Their color flashes dance is just mezmerizing in my eyes and they have a personnality that I have not been able to find in other stones...

I think sporting a warm colored diamond in a white setting is all about personnality, just like a haircut.
To me, there is no right or wrong. I think a Z colored diamond would look aweomse in a rose gold setting. I think that a J-K-L looks great in a white setting, either with yellow diamonds in a halo (a la DiaDiva ) or even with pink diamonds! There is no boundaries and the sky is the limit! It's all about creativity here and how we can put in real our own preferences... Diamonds, colored stones, gold colors etc can give us such a beautiful canvas to open creativity... I just love to see what people do with that canvas... I guess I love PS and all of the beautiful people on here and the wonderful eye candy that is shared...

Hmmm... After reading my post, I guess it doesn't really have a point lol. Just thinking aloud... :)
Yes due to marketing and preference a colourless diamond is a status symbol for some, not only for ' bragging rights' but also for cultural or purity reasons, same with clarity. I think though things are changing a bit, there is a growing fanclub of folks like you and I who love the lower colours and enjoy the beauty they can have! The nice thing about Pricescope is that everyone is catered for regardless of their preferences and it is well understood that if you get a great cut, any colour will look fab!

I thought you might enjoy looking at this ring if you haven't already seen it!!!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-pink-champagne-e-ring.78974/

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Agreed, Amethyst.

I have a "P", see avitar, set it white gold.

I love your stone, btw. I also love your thinking and style.

Do you do music, btw? Is that o.k. to ask?

---

Way cool ring & setting in Loreli's posts link.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/16/2009 10:09:41 AM
Author: sonomacounty
Agreed, Amethyst.

I have a ''P'', see avitar, set it white gold.

---

Way cool ring & setting in Loreli''s posts link.
Isn''t it something????
30.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I don't typically reply to posts like this but I don't even understand the vent. You like warmer diamonds other people like colorless. What is the big deal? More power to you because what you like actually comes with a lower price tag - you should be happy about that ... unless what you are saying is that you wished the lower colored diamonds cost more or the same because of their "personality".

I just like them all and don't feel a need to judge what people's preferences are .. be it colorless or not.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Amethyste, you have started a great trend here on PS -- lower color stones surrounded in white halos.

I love my M, it has a different personality and character -- one of the benefits of lower color stones; the other being reasonable prices because they are still unloved in the engagement ring marketplace.

There is a stigma, and I saw this stigma in action when I took my M to a Helzberg jewelry store in a maul, and found that their lights punish lower color stones - my M looked weird (still sparkled like crazy, but the color was strange). The sales associate treated my M like it was some kind of tainted stone. She said, "We typically recommend yellow gold for yellow stones."

It''s their loss -- I''m getting a custom setting from Wink instead.

But I agree with Lorelei, cut rules, and the stores in the maul can''t market good cut (they don''t sell those) so they push high color and high clarity, and the myth lives on.

What I''ve seen on PS, and I hope this carries over into the broader consumer market, is that people are thinking more about their own color preferences (whether it''s clear, icy white or a warm J-K, or, gasp, a YELLOW stone, L and lower) and about the color of the stone and how it meshes with their hair-skin color (great link to the ballet slipper pink stone, Lorelei!) and the color of metal they prefer.

We see so many pictures of very white stones in white metal, and that''s what becomes preferred because it''s familiar. I think as more of us post photos of unique combinations of stone colors and mixed metals, consumers will be more comfortable venturing out of the safe zone.

It''s hard to appreciate new things if you can''t imagine what they''ll look like IRL.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I don't like lower color stones. I have a K pendant and yes, it's beautiful, but the tint has become obvious to me and it's not something I enjoy seeing in my stone. If it was in a ring where I would constantly see it, I would have upgraded the color and sacrificed it's size long ago.

When I was looking at a replacement e-ring stone, I wanted white from all angles because i like it. No other reason. I looked and realized H was my limit in the size I wanted but winded up with a G. If I had the budget for a D, or E in the 2 1/2 carat range with VS clarity, I would of gone for that instead.

I don't think colorless is a status symbol anymore than having a large diamond is. Everyone has a preference, and many people have to compromise to get to get what they want. Be it color and, or clarity for size, or vice versa.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think she''s venting - just discussing.

Nothing wrong with that.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2009 10:32:17 AM
Author: elle_chris
I don't like lower color stones. I have a K pendant and yes, it's beautiful, but the tint has become obvious to me and it's not something I enjoy seeing in my stone. If it was in a ring where I would constantly see it, I would have upgraded the color and sacrificed it's size long ago.

When I was looking at a replacement e-ring stone, I wanted white from all angles because i like it. No other reason. I looked and realized H was my limit in the size I wanted but winded up with a G. If I had the budget for a D, or E in the 2 1/2 carat range with VS clarity, I would of gone for that instead.

I don't think colorless is a status symbol anymore than having a large diamond is. Everyone has a preference, and many people have to compromise to get to get what they want. Be it color and, or clarity for size, or vice versa.

That's it exactly, elle-chris! You chose a whiter stone because you wanted to see white from all angles, not because colorless stones are a status symbol for you.

But I believe it won't be until the average consumer -- not PS consumer -- understands that cut is what makes a diamond beautiful and color and clarity are preferences, that we'll see more well-cut "lower" color stones in the marketplace. And some maul stores are going to have to change their lighting before that will happen
38.gif

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2009 10:16:08 AM
Author: CharmyPoo
I don''t typically reply to posts like this but I don''t even understand the vent. You like warmer diamonds other people like colorless. What is the big deal? More power to you because what you like actually comes with a lower price tag - you should be happy about that ... unless what you are saying is that you wished the lower colored diamonds cost more or the same because of their ''personality''.

I just like them all and don''t feel a need to judge what people''s preferences are .. be it colorless or not.

Woah....
7.gif
I NEVER judged colorless diamonds or people loving them in my original post. I said I admire them on other people, but personally, i''d rather have tint in mine... That the industry is well trageting colorless diamonds when there are fabulous ones in the lower spectrum of the color scale...

I don''t want to make enemies here. I am just discussing. Sorry if I upset you.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2009 10:49:53 AM
I don't think she's venting - just discussing.
Perhaps but I was just using the words she used in her second line. I could see this discussion rubbing some people the wrong way. I know it isn't meant to offend and sometimes it is difficult to tell tone on the internet. There are some parts of the post that give off a negative vibe towards people who like colorless stones.

What if it was worded like this? Would it sound a little rude? It is essentially saying the same thing.
Is owning a warmer diamond (like a J color) just for people who can't afford a colorless stone?
I mean, I like warmer diamonds but to me... they are MEH ( on me ) I love to admire them on other people though.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2009 10:09:41 AM
Agreed, Amethyst.

I have a 'P', see avitar, set it white gold.

---
Way cool ring & setting in Loreli's posts link.

I love your stone Sonoma - it is beautiful and captivating... I need to go through your threads and get dose of golden goodness :)

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2009 11:19:42 AM
Author: CharmyPoo
Date: 8/16/2009 10:49:53 AM

I don''t think she''s venting - just discussing.

Perhaps but I was just using the words she used in her second line. I could see this discussion rubbing some people the wrong way. I know it isn''t meant to offend and sometimes it is difficult to tell tone on the internet. There are some parts of the post that give off a negative vibe towards people who like colorless stones.

What if it was worded like this? Would it sound a little rude? It is essentially saying the same thing.

Is owning a warmer diamond (like a J color) just for people who can''t afford a colorless stone?

I mean, I like warmer diamonds but to me... they are MEH ( on me ) I love to admire them on other people though.

Well, sorry if I didn''t word my post right and it has upset you. I wanted to start a discussion on the beauty of lower color diamonds. That a D color diamond is easier to find than a W one on the net, I am just trying to compare maybe the trend nowadays that targets colorless diamonds... Anyhow. Again, sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way.

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Double post.

FB.

Brilliant_Rock
Variety is the key. Different colours of stones, different colours of settings and different shapes of stones.
All good collections of diamond jewellery should have a mixture.
My Mrs prefers platinum and the cold colours - D to F, plus blues such as aquamarine. But she also wears lower colours in yellow gold and changes her jewellery every week or two.
I recently bought her the "D" coloured diamond and it''s mounted in platinum because the strong fluorescence was intended to be the key feature.
The next diamond that I purchase may well be a "J" in yellow gold - for variety. (She likes the surprise of getting an unexpected new piece of jewellery and prefers me to do the choosing of a diamond).

The problem with lower colours is that many people have a little knowledge that turns out to be worse than having no knowlegde.
Such people are numerous and they associate colours below H/I with being cheap and nasty - as seen in some of the "budget" shops.
The current catalogue for a "budget" jewellery company lists their diamonds as being certified as about J colour from a low-tier gem lab (the clarity is about I2 - but many people don''t think much about clarity or even the cut!).

The sellers of "quality" diamonds and jewellery tend to direct their customers towards about G colour and VS2 clarity, which is an excellent balance. I have been discouraged from buying F or higher colours on multiple occasions because it''s "too good" for jewellery.

When it comes to D colour, it is often considered to be a waste of money and I would only go for D in special situations (such as to show-off strong fluorescence), although D carries considerable "bragging rights" when women compete their rings or jewellery against each other. Some women really seem to like to compete against the size or quality of others jewellery, or a self-conscious about their own jewellery. They seem seems almost like teenage "boy racers" in their tuned-up sporty cars.
9.gif

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Author:

On one hand we have what nature gives us, and colorless is more rare.
On the other hand we strive to respect diversity since everyone is entitled to their own preferences and opinion.

But then is gets fuzzy and conflicted.
Does rarity make colorless better? more desirable? You could say it does because it certainly makes it more expensive.

Being more expensive and rare makes people want something more.
Wanting something that is beyond our reach is very human and common.
Is this wrong? I don't know.
It certainly motivates us to work hard to make more money, so perhaps not.

Next we have size.
A bigger diamond is more desirable, but nature made those more rare too.
7.gif

So we have the trade off. . . small and colorless or large and colored.

I think few people would admit the nice things they own, house, car, piano, are status symbols.
The terms status symbol and ego are frequently reserved as criticisms of others.
I wish people would stop doing that here.

Sorry, but it does strike me as ironic that someone with an enormous beautiful diamond to talk about others wanting high color as wanting a status symbol.

But I do understand the sentiment that stared this thread, intolerance and lack of respect for diversity.

The largest group here is the I/J, eye-clean SI group.
They get the most support and agreement.
You don't have to read PS long to notice how people on the edges of the bell curve would feel less support.

Many posters here push shoppers to the I/J SI region.
Anyone going for color and clarity that is much above or below this needs thick skin.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Love them all! From the icy colorless D''s to these chunky cushion L''s and M''s to the yellow U-Z. As long as they have a great cut they look good. The colorless diamonds are regal and traditional but the warmer shades are funky and full of uniqueness.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2009 11:26:00 AM
Author: Amethyste

Well, sorry if I didn''t word my post right and it has upset you. I wanted to start a discussion on the beauty of lower color diamonds. That a D color diamond is easier to find than a W one on the net, I am just trying to compare maybe the trend nowadays that targets colorless diamonds... Anyhow. Again, sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way.
Please don''t apologize. I don''t mean for my post to come across as mean. I am simply stating that I could see how your post can be offensive even though it isn''t meant to be. I certainly can agree that warmer stones can be very beautiful and that "society" may have an impact on why colorless diamonds are desirable. Heck .. why are pink, green, and blue diamonds so desirable too.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
We here at Pricescope know that it is all about personal preference based on knowledge! What I assumed Ames was targeting was the unquestioning acceptance that many have regarding media or cultural promotion of one attribute, in this case color. The same argument can be made about clarity, and David of DiamondsbyLauren is relentless in his position regarding 60/60 cut.

The purpose of Pricescope is to allow each individual consumer to gain the knowledge necessary to be able to develop his or her own personal preference, and I am glad to have benefited from this and to continue to be involved in the process.

That being said, my upgraded ering holds an I SI2 HRD certified (within HCA GIA parameters) ideal, but not H&A. I love the amazing fire it shoots off and the inclusions are colorless needles near the edge of the stone. Quite acceptable to me. But I have a number of other diamonds too! They range in color from G to L, clarity from VS1 to SI2.

I'm attaching a picture of what is probably my favorite diamond! It is estimated to be an M, old european cut (vintage cuts are my passion) set in 22k yellow hammered gold. I sometimes refer to it as my Flintstone ring, and the fire is beyond description!!

500x375.aspx

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2009 11:27:06 AM
Author: Moh 10

On the other hand we strive to respect diversity since everyone is entitled to their own preferences and opinion.

Does rarity make colorless better? more desirable? You could say it does because it certainly makes it more expensive.

Is it wrong? I don't know.

Next we have size.

7.gif

I think few people would admit the nice things they own, house, car, piano, are status symbols.

The terms status symbol and ego are frequently reserved as criticisms of others.

Sorry, but it does strike me as ironic that someone with an enormous beautiful diamond to talk about others wanting high color as wanting a status symbol.

But I do understand the sentiment that stared this thread, intolerance and lack of respect for diversity.

You don't have to read PS long to notice how people on the edges of the bell curve would feel less support.

Anyone going for color and clarity that is much above or below this needs thick skin.

Great post, Moh.

The only thing here I'm not sure I agree about is the rarity. I started a thread a few weeks ago trying to get at the exact rarity of higher color diamonds (say F) vs. low but not fancy diamonds (say S, or W), and nobody could say for sure that the Fs really are rarer than the Ws. That's a secret the mining companies keep close. I know they want us to think H is rarer than P, because that suits their marketing, but I don't know for a fact that it's true.

I have unusual preferences here. My favorite clarity is a carefully chosen I1. I like D-F diamonds better than J-M, but I also apparently prefer stronger yellows to the middle range. I recently bought an I1 S cut by Infinity, which I'm sure sounds dirty and too yellow to many people here.

Diamonds are not status symbols for me because nobody in my circle wears them or is impressed by them. My friends think I'm wasting money on them, if they even notice them. We have other status symbols instead: education, jobs, other professional accomplishments, apartments, kids' achievements...

Nobody here has given me a hard time about my diamond preferences or been anything but polite. Or if they have, I haven't noticed. Perhaps I have a thick skin because nobody in my circle cares about diamonds. If you criticized my professional accomplishments or neighborhood, which are status symbols for me, I would probably be much more sensitive to it.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amythyste, I do see your point. 22 years ago, when DH proposed to me, he gave me my 67 point SI1 K, given to him by his grandmother. I was floored by that beautiful rock. He gave me the appraisal, which I read and put away. Imagine my surprise a year later, when my friend's BF proposed and they started to look for her diamond. She liked my stone and asked for the details. All I recalled was the carat weight. She told me that she's learned that "H" was the best color to get. I had to look that up. Did I have a bad stone? When she got her ring, I couldn't see the color difference, didn't ask what she actually had, and shrugged it off. We both had beautiful rings. 15 years later, DH and I moved to a very affluent area. That's when I saw how diamonds could be status symbols. EVERYONE seemed to have huge rocks and when the subject came up, they'd be comparing stats. I stayed away from those conversations, saying I had a heirloom stone, was my status, I guess. Then a friend pointed out that at least a couple of those women with "high" stones were actuallly sporting QVC's cz or moissanite! They were beautiful, but not what they were claiming. In this circle, it was all about status. It can be so. Nobody talked about cut, btw. Just carat, color and inclusions. In the circle of PS, it's about knowledge and personal choice. With that combination, the possibilities are endless!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
FB.- As it''s usually the man who chooses the color of the diamond (in the real world, not PS), it would be the man who''s doing it for "bragging rights" and to "compete" against other men. Not the women.
Sorry, the bit about "when women compete their rings or jewellery against eachother", and "they almost act like teenage boy racers" really bugged me.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Ok... now I see how my phrasing construction can allude to some negativity... I am sorry, this was not supposed to be upsetting thread, but more of a candid discussion about personnal preferences, the media/publicity and what is pushed on the consumer, etc... I never wanted to bother people with my statement of "status". Not so much that people will know that your diamond is a D color, but mostly YOU know, is that a "personnal status" thing, without being competitive... I really don't know how to express what I am thinking with accuracy... I wish english was my first language!

I personally do not have anything against colorless diamonds. I like them but would rather have tint in mine. It doesn't mean that I don't understand people for wanting a D-IF diamond. Actually I admire such rocks as they do not come around too often and are always a sight to see. I know may come across to soome of you as "irritating", but I am really not wanting to stir bad emotions on this thread. I was trying to gather some point of views from people. I am sorry if if irritated some of you on the way... Please cary on :)

Venice

Brilliant_Rock

Author:

Is owning a colorless diamond (like a D color) a ''status'' thing for people?

Is this wrong? I don''t know.

Next we have size.
7.gif

You don''t have to read PS long to notice how people on the edges of the bell curve would feel less support.

Well said, Moh 10. I''d also like to add that the word "overkill" is used too much.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
2 years ago, I met a friend in the street who showed me her new D colored diamond.
Then we compared it to my I color ACA.
It was easy to see leakage in the table of her diamond.
When she saw the ACA (she didn''t know the color), she preferred to talk about something else.

What ever color you like, remember to concentrate on the cut.
I love white, light yellow, pink and green diamonds, but I don''t like brownish diamonds.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2009 1:24:09 PM
Author: Venice

Author:

Is this wrong? I don't know.

Next we have size.
7.gif

Well said, Moh 10. I'd also like to add that the word 'overkill' is used too much.
While there may be some on here who express their opinions on clarity rather harshy, I know I, Lorelei, strm and many others do not "push" anything on anybody. What we do, do, is make people aware of what may likely be eyeclean, yet not cost them as much. Many people come here either having been erroneously told/sold that high color and clarity make the most beautiful diamonds, or they've been to the mall and have seen SI1's that made them run away in fear, therefore they think all SI1's look like that and think they need to go way up the ladder on clarity.

So for those people, yes, overkill could be an appropriate term. However, once I/we have established exactly why someone may be wanting extremely high clarity, if it is truly a personal preference, we are more than happy to help them find it, and have on many occasions.

Those who appreciate high clarity may want to stop taking such posts personally.
1.gif

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My e-ring upgrade is a D color SI1 ideal H&A with strong blue fluoresence - exactly what I wanted. I like the icy whiteness of it, and the fluor kicks in a lot, even in lighting you don''t expect it to, giving it a "glow" like nothing else. I love it. I love seeing "nothing"... no color... no tint... just coolness.

That said, I also own my gr-grandmother''s transitional cut in platinum, and it is a lovely old lace color - it is tinted, but I love it for what it is - it suits the style of the cut and I wouldn''t change it a bit!

Cut is key, color is a personal preference. Whether you are "sacrificing" color for size for example is a matter of perspective and opinion, not a concrete law. I think we are very fortunate here on PS to be able to appreciate these aspects and love the diamonds for what they are, not degrading them for what color they were born to be.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2009 11:28:22 AM
Author: y2kitty
Love them all! From the icy colorless D''s to these chunky cushion L''s and M''s to the yellow U-Z. As long as they have a great cut they look good. The colorless diamonds are regal and traditional but the warmer shades are funky and full of uniqueness.

Well said!

I like checking out the D thread just as much as the threads on the lower colors.

What I like about PS is the variety. I''m not likely to see a well-cut D-F 3+ carat stone where I live, and I love drooling over the photos on PS.

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/16/2009 1:40:29 PM
Author: Ellen
Many people come here either having been erroneously told/sold that high color and clarity make the most beautiful diamonds, or they've been to the mall and have seen SI1's that made them run away in fear, therefore they think all SI1's look like that and think they need to go way up the ladder on clarity.

I agree, many newbies come here misinformed that high clarity and color are responsible for beauty rather than cut.
And yes I too will work to educate them.
I frequently mention that the majority of educated buyers here at PS DO land in I/J SI eye-clean range, without saying this range is better or worse.

Many people really do want to be part of the larger group, assuming it must be better, rather than doing all that homework to make a better-informed choice.
So be it.

After the education if their comfort zone in the I/J SI eye-clean range (or any grade) then that is perfect.

My only point is that (after education) joining a large group or a small group is equally groovy when it comes to diamond grade preferences.
Also I think a person who uses the terms status symbol and ego could do some soul searching.
I have several friends who think anyone who has to have the status symbol of a REAL diamond has as big ego.
Live and let live, I say.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
As a D owner I think there can be a type of reverse discrimination against colourless stones. So what if you have a lower coloured stone, it does not make the D''s of the world any less beautiful. If you like it you like it, end of.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results