shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow - The DREADED color in diamonds...

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Amethyste, Aug 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
  1. LGK
    Ideal_Rock

by LGK » Aug 26, 2009
    Erica, I've had a zillion conversations like that too about my M colored OEC. People ask WAY more often "Is that a D color- I've never seen a stone sparkle like that!" versus "Why's it yellow?" I've had maybe two people wonder why it had color and/or say something disparaging about the color, and I have about one conversation with a stranger about my ring per day, or or more. Generally people are gobsmacked when you tell them an M color- like mine- is going to be way cheaper than a colorless stone. People tend to believe sparkle comes from a white color and a high clarity rather than a good cut, so when they see a super sparkly stone, they all assume it has to be colorless.

Personally, I would NOT trade my M colored OEC for a coloress stone if I could for free. I like the way it looks. It speaks to me. I just don't love the uber-white look, especially in the antique cuts I prefer. I find the color is more flattering to my skin tone- super pale with yellow undertones, which describes the stone too lol.

2. Italiahaircolor
    Ideal_Rock

by Italiahaircolor » Aug 26, 2009
    When my BIL & SIL got engaged, he wanted to get her the "best" diamond he could...he went through Blue Nile and got her a just under 1 carat, D IF round brillant. He explained to me that he needed for the stone to of primo quality because it was going to be bezel set (she''s an artist) and it needed to be able to stand alone without much light reflecting.

That, right there, is the proof that people are undereducated when buy/setting stones. Assuming that a colorless, flawless stone would bounce light better than a well cut stone...well...you know that''s just silly. But it speaks of the lack of information the general population has when talking diamonds. They assume the closer you get to the top of the scale, the better off you are. We here on PS know a little differently.

My stone is not a D...it''s not an IF. But bump mine up next to my SIL and you''d be hard pressed to find much difference. Maybe I''m color blind...but I think my BIL got ripped off.

3. NeverEndingUpgrade
    Brilliant_Rock

by NeverEndingUpgrade » Aug 27, 2009
    Me too! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.