shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you trade an antique diamond for lab grown?

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
I hope you do a thread on your journey for this.
And document it like Ken Burns would do.
:) :) :)

Sorry for the divert, OP.

Haha no problem! I’d love to see as well!

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
I want to add - is there something you don’t love about your particular OEC? I wonder if there is something else that is going on, or if you just feel overwhelmed trying to assemble a 3-stone

Yes, there are a few issues I have had/have. How much time do you have? :lol::lol:

My stone is an L, and while a lot of the time I love it, in some lights I don’t. I also don’t love the setting I have it in. DK made it, but it looks squatty to me. That’s an easy enough fix, but I worry that I still won’t be happy if I change the setting. I get frustrated because I want to buy different bands but not everything goes with old cuts. So if I want an eternity band with round diamonds to wear with it, they have to be similar or it just looks weird. So the three stone I feel like would give me more bling without m wanting more bands, but it’s definitely an overwhelming process. I’m jealous of the people who just call up Whiteflash and make a three stone with the snap of a finger.

I think I’m just too picky or maybe will never be satisfied.

Last edited:

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
I would never ever sell a nice antique diamond for labs. There, I said it :roll: I would be less particular for modern stones

True antiques that are nicely cut in that exact size range are becoming really tough to find

You also have an L, which isn’t like you’re looking for high color which adds to the difficulty

Who have you reached out to? Have you tried Adam and OWD, Sako, CVB, jewels by grace, etc? It’s overwhelming to hunt on your own, I’d leave it to a vendor! Don’t give up

Also I think you can rock a 3 stone with a size 6.5! I used to think anything above 2 carats would be garish on me but boy, after jumping from 1.3 carats to 3.5 carats she feels right at home after a mere few weeks :lol:

I’ve tried Adam, Sako, Jewels by Grace, and Alex Park. Sako found some that I tried but the color was a little off, and then I realized this project was going to be more money than I wanted to spend, I gave up. But maybe if I went smaller for the side stones it would be more doable.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a natural OEC diamond solitaire that I eventually wanted to make into a three stone ring. Because of price and difficulty of finding matching side stones, I’ve kind of given up on that, but I still really want a three stone ring. I could get what I want for definitely below the price of what I could sell my current ring for, but is that stupid to sell my antique diamond for some lab grown ones?? It’s not sentimental - I picked it out myself for an upgrade from my original diamond, but I just have never been happy with it the way that I have it set.

if its not sentimental and you wont miss it then go for it
you only have to please yourself
but if it was in any way senitmental or a family stone i would say no

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve tried Adam, Sako, Jewels by Grace, and Alex Park. Sako found some that I tried but the color was a little off, and then I realized this project was going to be more money than I wanted to spend, I gave up. But maybe if I went smaller for the side stones it would be more doable.

Jewels by Grace has a pair of Ls

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Yes, there are a few issues I have had/have. How much time do you have? :lol::lol:

My stone is an L, and while a lot of the time I love it, in some lights I don’t. I also don’t love the setting I have it in. DK made it, but it looks squatty to me. That’s an easy enough fix, but I worry that I still won’t be happy if I change the setting. I get frustrated because I want to buy different bands but not everything goes with old cuts. So if I want an eternity band with round diamonds to wear with it, they have to be similar or it just looks weird. So the three stone I feel like would give me more bling without m wanting more bands, but it’s definitely an overwhelming process. I’m jealous of the people who just call up Whiteflash and make a three stone with the snap of a finger.

Dish as many details as you like, seriously! You are in good company. I don’t think you’re being too picky at all. Have you thought about selling your current stone for a higher color?

If you’re not loving the color (which is totally understandable) I am not sure if a 3 stone is going to give you what you’re after. If you would like to have a stone that is more versatile with bands, you should have one!

Depending on your budget, even a J/K might make a big difference for your eyes.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
I wear the same size essentially. I can wear a 6 solo but not stacked. This is 6.75 minus, so a smidge above 6.5 to allow for a band and humidity (Florida).

Here are photos. It is full coverage but not ridiculous looking, in my view! The sides tilt and tuck a bit. PXL_20220712_160127580.jpg PXL_20220712_160144935.jpg PXL_20220714_145354830.jpg PXL_20220712_160540240.jpg

PXL_20220714_180811081.jpg

Love the detail on this! :kiss2:

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
69EBCD3F-F577-4056-A72E-DCC196D82EFC.jpeg

Yes, I have done that. I had a GIA .84ct OMC, K color with faint brown and strong blue fluorescence. I sold that thing lickety split to buy an AVC lab diamond.

Zero regrets.

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
69EBCD3F-F577-4056-A72E-DCC196D82EFC.jpeg

Yes, I have done that. I had a GIA .84ct OMC, K color with faint brown and strong blue fluorescence. I sold that thing lickety split to buy an AVC lab diamond.

Zero regrets.

Love it! What are the specs on your lab AVC?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Then you have found your people :)

I had a 3 stone CVB Maria and was warned that it would be a “big” look. Ended up selling it because it wasn’t enough of a “big” look for me. Can you get a CZ 3 stone to play with and see how you feel about it? Because the side stones are angled it is a more refined look than “in your face”, IMO. Based on your ring size I think a 3 stone would look really nice on you.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
That seems to be the consensus. Thanks for talking me off the ledge haha!

I didn’t read all the comments but is this your 2.49? That you were originally going to sell? If that’s the stone in question then no I would never trade in for lab. I would only consider selling for upgrading another natural OEC that’s just as well cut which would probably be a difficult thing to find!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I am in the process of making a 3 stone with my 3.09 OEC M VS2. I found an antique setting on Etsy but my jeweler couldn’t source a pair of OECs to fit for what I was willing to pay. I finally found a pair of studs on eBay. 1.13 ct each oecs, non certed and chipped but $8000. I got them re-cut and certified. 1.09 J VS2 now, w/GIA certs.

It has been quite the journey, but it should be done next week and I will post pictures. Hope the J and M goes together all right. They looked good resting in the setting, but I’m still nervous. I have a 3.23 J VS2 transitional in a solitaire setting I wear now that I can swap with the M, but my jeweller thinks I won t see the difference. So I’m trying it her way.

I love my OECs and transitionals and would not want to swap them for lab-grown diamonds.

Omg please make a thread on this!!!!

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
Then you have found your people :)

I had a 3 stone CVB Maria and was warned that it would be a “big” look. Ended up selling it because it wasn’t enough of a “big” look for me. Can you get a CZ 3 stone to play with and see how you feel about it? Because the side stones are angled it is a more refined look than “in your face”, IMO. Based on your ring size I think a 3 stone would look really nice on you.

Haha yes I love this place! I might try getting the CZ and trying out the three stone. I think maybe I’ll try the lab side stone route bc the natural are just too expensive for the size that I want.

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
I didn’t read all the comments but is this your 2.49? That you were originally going to sell? If that’s the stone in question then no I would never trade in for lab. I would only consider selling for upgrading another natural OEC that’s just as well cut which would probably be a difficult thing to find!

Yes this is the same one. Thanks for the opinion! I think I’ll keep it and if I decide to do a three stone maybe do lab sides. Or maybe just buy a lab three stone in addition to my solitaire! Lol

Diamond Best Friend

Rough_Rock
From what I've read and continue to read about Lab Grown Diamonds, they do not hold their value on the resale market or when you go to trade them in. I am not in the trade, just an avid prosumer to a point. If you will allow me, I will give you my opinion on OMC and OEC diamonds. I think over time, they will become more and more rare and only increase somewhat in value. Many OMC and OEC which have been traded or sold have been recut into the modern brilliant cut unbeknown to the new buyer. So many of these stones have disappeared from existence. What you have is a beauty, keep it! If you did purchase a LGD and you were to ever try and sell or trade a LGD, you will lose most of what you actually pay for it. There are ways to test the LGD by GIA and some other labs. There is talk in the diamond industry and market that there may be an infiltration of these LGD being sold wholesale and retail as earth mined diamonds. Again, what you have is a true gem.

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
From what I've read and continue to read about Lab Grown Diamonds, they do not hold their value on the resale market or when you go to trade them in. I am not in the trade, just an avid prosumer to a point. If you will allow me, I will give you my opinion on OMC and OEC diamonds. I think over time, they will become more and more rare and only increase somewhat in value. Many OMC and OEC which have been traded or sold have been recut into the modern brilliant cut unbeknown to the new buyer. So many of these stones have disappeared from existence. What you have is a beauty, keep it! If you did purchase a LGD and you were to ever try and sell or trade a LGD, you will lose most of what you actually pay for it. There are ways to test the LGD by GIA and some other labs. There is talk in the diamond industry and market that there may be an infiltration of these LGD being sold wholesale and retail as earth mined diamonds. Again, what you have is a true gem.

Thanks so much for your perspective. I think being on sites such as Pricescope, I always see other stones/rings and want something different/better/more perfect when in reality, what I have is probably what I should stick with and be happy and grateful for.

itskcc

Rough_Rock
I would probably regret it. But I don’t think I would get a 2.5 center. It’s pretty big for a 3 stone which was part of my issue with making one with my OEC. I just didn’t think the project through very well when I bought the big diamond haha! Maybe I should just get a smaller lab grown 3 stone and keep my solitaire.

Shrinkage syndrome is real! I have a 2.3 center stone with .80 on each side, size 6.25. When I first got it I thought it looked huge and now I'm like, this could be bigger!

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely Not

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
Shrinkage syndrome is real! I have a 2.3 center stone with .80 on each side, size 6.25. When I first got it I thought it looked huge and now I'm like, this could be bigger!

Your ring is literally my favorite ring of all time!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results