shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you trade an antique diamond for lab grown?

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
I have a natural OEC diamond solitaire that I eventually wanted to make into a three stone ring. Because of price and difficulty of finding matching side stones, I’ve kind of given up on that, but I still really want a three stone ring. I could get what I want for definitely below the price of what I could sell my current ring for, but is that stupid to sell my antique diamond for some lab grown ones?? It’s not sentimental - I picked it out myself for an upgrade from my original diamond, but I just have never been happy with it the way that I have it set.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
If you get an lab oec, do you think it will be your “forever” ring or would you possibly resell it in the future?

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I think it depends on whether you like antique stones for the look of them or for the history. If the draw to antiques is the fact that somebody hand cut the stone 100+ years ago, you obviously won't get that with a lab grown. That said, if you simply love the faceting and performance, I don't think it's stupid at all!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I would not, personally. But, I'm also very skeptical of how the lab market will do in a few years. Why not just have stones that are labs custom cut to make a three stone? I am sure that you could find a vendor that would do that for you. Distinctive Gem comes to mind. Diamonds by Lauren also gets in some antique cut labs, so they may be worth asking as well, as they can likely contact the cutters for you. That way, you get your three stone ring, but at a lower cost.

Also, depending on where you want the setting made, it is often easier to have your vendor look for matches. David Klass, Sako, CvB, and many others do that for the client. I wouldn't give up on it, but I'd ask a vendor do it for me, if that is what you want. Finding it yourself online, trawling ebay and IG is beyond tedious.

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
If you get an lab oec, do you think it will be your “forever” ring or would you possibly resell it in the future?

I change my mind all the time about what I want . But I do know that lab grown won’t have resale value…

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
I think it depends on whether you like antique stones for the look of them or for the history. If the draw to antiques is the fact that somebody hand cut the stone 100+ years ago, you obviously won't get that with a lab grown. That said, if you simply love the faceting and performance, I don't think it's stupid at all!

My original diamond was transitional and a higher color - I miss its color and performance which is why I have considered going to lab grown. My OEC is 2.5 carats and I just can’t justify buying a natural diamond at a higher color in that kind of size. So just considering LGD…

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
I would not, personally. But, I'm also very skeptical of how the lab market will do in a few years. Why not just have stones that are labs custom cut to make a three stone? I am sure that you could find a vendor that would do that for you. Distinctive Gem comes to mind. Diamonds by Lauren also gets in some antique cut labs, so they may be worth asking as well, as they can likely contact the cutters for you. That way, you get your three stone ring, but at a lower cost.

Also, depending on where you want the setting made, it is often easier to have your vendor look for matches. David Klass, Sako, CvB, and many others do that for the client. I wouldn't give up on it, but I'd ask a vendor do it for me, if that is what you want. Finding it yourself online, trawling ebay and IG is beyond tedious.

Do you mean having side stones cut in LGD to go with my current OEC to make a 3 stone?

I have tried some vendors for matches and haven’t had much luck that route either. But I didn’t try that for very long - I kind of gave up after a couple of tries. The size I want for side stones kind of turned out to be more money than I was wanting to spend. So I’m just looking at other ways of getting my three stone. I worry about the lab grown market as well, though. Maybe I should keep my OEC and just get a three stone made in s smaller size than I originally wanted and have both! Win win!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with @elizat..I would look into getting OECs cut to make your side stones. I would also consider having someone find you OEC earrings which are already matched to be your side stones. I personally wouldn’t trade in your OEC.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I also agree with @elizat especially because it sounds like you ultimately want a 3 stone with a 2.5+ center and also sizable side stones. I think the lab market is too volatile and unknown for 2+ carats right now.

ETA: I think it would be much harder to find a replacement for your current earth mined OEC (supply-wise and $$$) if you end up regretting selling it in a couple of years.

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
I also agree with @elizat especially because it sounds like you ultimately want a 3 stone with a 2.5+ center and also sizable side stones. I think the lab market is too volatile and unknown for 2+ carats right now.

ETA: I think it would be much harder to find a replacement for your current earth mined OEC if you were to regret selling it in a couple of years.

I would probably regret it. But I don’t think I would get a 2.5 center. It’s pretty big for a 3 stone which was part of my issue with making one with my OEC. I just didn’t think the project through very well when I bought the big diamond haha! Maybe I should just get a smaller lab grown 3 stone and keep my solitaire.

nojs

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I would never trade a natural OEC for lab stones. It would be very hard to replace if you let it go now, as others have mentioned. But I would be open to mixing it up with lab side stones.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I would probably regret it. But I don’t think I would get a 2.5 center. It’s pretty big for a 3 stone which was part of my issue with making one with my OEC. I just didn’t think the project through very well when I bought the big diamond haha! Maybe I should just get a smaller lab grown 3 stone and keep my solitaire.

I have a three stone with a 2.34 old mine, with .90ish sides. I can post photos if you want. It's sizable, but not gigantic. I don't intend to ever reset the stones again from the setting.

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
I have a three stone with a 2.34 old mine, with .90ish sides. I can post photos if you want. It's sizable, but not gigantic. I don't intend to ever reset the stones again from the setting.

Yes I would love to see! I have long size 6.5 fingers so can wear sizable rings, but I just worried that it would be ridiculous looking at that size as a three stone.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock

I don’t think it would look too big or ridiculous at all!

The one on the top here has a bigger center than yours and the middle one is just tad smaller. The bottom one has smaller sides more like accent stones if you want to go that route. I think they are all beautiful!
A72164B5-16B6-4118-BB9F-9BF9B62389F8.jpeg

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Yes I would love to see! I have long size 6.5 fingers so can wear sizable rings, but I just worried that it would be ridiculous looking at that size as a three stone.

I wear the same size essentially. I can wear a 6 solo but not stacked. This is 6.75 minus, so a smidge above 6.5 to allow for a band and humidity (Florida).

Here are photos. It is full coverage but not ridiculous looking, in my view! The sides tilt and tuck a bit. PXL_20220712_160127580.jpg PXL_20220712_160144935.jpg PXL_20220714_145354830.jpg PXL_20220712_160540240.jpg

PXL_20220714_180811081.jpg

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
This. As the pics show above, it would look beautiful and not over the top. Your stone is beautiful!

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
I wear the same size essentially. I can wear a 6 solo but not stacked. This is 6.75 minus, so a smidge above 6.5 to allow for a band and humidity (Florida).

Here are photos. It is full coverage but not ridiculous looking, in my view! The sides tilt and tuck a bit. PXL_20220712_160127580.jpg PXL_20220712_160144935.jpg PXL_20220714_145354830.jpg PXL_20220712_160540240.jpg

PXL_20220714_180811081.jpg

Beautiful and not over the too big. It’s definitely got presence, like you said, but it’s not too big.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Glad that you are thinking about keeping your beautiful stone! Here's a (slightly larger) example of a current market comp:

If you want to try out a three stone look, here is a returnable tester (mrb) you could try.

ETA: not sure about the approx mm of the stones but it looks about right

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful and not over the too big. It’s definitely got presence, like you said, but it’s not too big.

I think keep the solitaire, do a lab three stone or do a three stone with your center.

I work primarily on things with CvB or Sako (above was Sako), but also DK as well. I think any of them would help source sides or help you find labs cut to match. Currently, finding mined old cuts in matching pairs still appears scarce, but really depends on the size you want. For smaller stones and more accent like, it is probably easier, tbh. Larger matched pairs seem harder.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did just that and have no regrets. But if you think you might miss your OEC, I wouldn't do it.

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
I would never sell a large natural antique stone in exchange for a LGD, especially if it was a well-cut antique. I'd be holding on to that and keeping it in the family!

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
I think keep the solitaire, do a lab three stone or do a three stone with your center.

I work primarily on things with CvB or Sako (above was Sako), but also DK as well. I think any of them would help source sides or help you find labs cut to match. Currently, finding mined old cuts in matching pairs still appears scarce, but really depends on the size you want. For smaller stones and more accent like, it is probably easier, tbh. Larger matched pairs seem harder.

Maybe I should think about smaller side stones, especially since my center is pretty big for a 3 stone. Sako tried to help me before but I wasn’t finding anything I liked and I gave up. Maybe I’ll reach out again. Thanks!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I would never ever sell a nice antique diamond for labs. There, I said it :roll: I would be less particular for modern stones

True antiques that are nicely cut in that exact size range are becoming really tough to find

You also have an L, which isn’t like you’re looking for high color which adds to the difficulty

Who have you reached out to? Have you tried Adam and OWD, Sako, CVB, jewels by grace, etc? It’s overwhelming to hunt on your own, I’d leave it to a vendor! Don’t give up

Also I think you can rock a 3 stone with a size 6.5! I used to think anything above 2 carats would be garish on me but boy, after jumping from 1.3 carats to 3.5 carats she feels right at home after a mere few weeks :lol:

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I am in the process of making a 3 stone with my 3.09 OEC M VS2. I found an antique setting on Etsy but my jeweler couldn’t source a pair of OECs to fit for what I was willing to pay. I finally found a pair of studs on eBay. 1.13 ct each oecs, non certed and chipped but $8000. I got them re-cut and certified. 1.09 J VS2 now, w/GIA certs.

It has been quite the journey, but it should be done next week and I will post pictures. Hope the J and M goes together all right. They looked good resting in the setting, but I’m still nervous. I have a 3.23 J VS2 transitional in a solitaire setting I wear now that I can swap with the M, but my jeweller thinks I won t see the difference. So I’m trying it her way.

I love my OECs and transitionals and would not want to swap them for lab-grown diamonds.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I want to add - is there something you don’t love about your particular OEC? I wonder if there is something else that is going on, or if you just feel overwhelmed trying to assemble a 3-stone

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in the process of making a 3 stone with my 3.09 OEC M VS2. I found an antique setting on Etsy but my jeweler couldn’t source a pair of OECs to fit for what I was willing to pay. I finally found a pair of studs on eBay. 1.13 ct each oecs, non certed and chipped but $8000. I got them re-cut and certified. 1.09 J VS2 now, w/GIA certs.

It has been quite the journey, but it should be done next week and I will post pictures. Hope the J and M goes together all right. They looked good resting in the setting, but I’m still nervous. I have a 3.23 J VS2 transitional in a solitaire setting I wear now that I can swap with the M, but my jeweller thinks I won t see the difference. So I’m trying it her way.

I love my OECs and transitionals and would not want to swap them for lab-grown diamonds.
I hope you do a thread on your journey for this.
And document it like Ken Burns would do.
:) :) :)

Sorry for the divert, OP.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results