shape
carat
color
clarity

How can I get best price for 2 OECs?

SGopher

Rough_Rock
I have 2 Old Euro cut diamonds, had them appraised 2 years ago. Worthy only offered 1/3 of appraised value. Now I need to get maximum value for 1 or both. Should I go to a nearby large city and get an appointment with an upscale jeweler or wholesale broker? or post here what I have? What would you recommend?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was your appraisal for retail value or replacement value? There can be a big swing in the two values. You can try consigning with Jewels by Grace, try to sell on Loupetroop yourself, or Diambondbistro. But without knowing more about the stones, size, color clarity, or if certified, it's hard to point you in the right direction.

Last edited:

SGopher

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the other leads- my appraisals were just on the loose diamonds thinking I might sell them. I didn't realize how things were done, and at the time a jeweler suggested I might have them set as earrings. They're kinda close but not a perfect match in my mind. The antique piece was my GG grandmothers. I had the diamonds removed, replaced with other much less valuable gems that I could wear without fear of losing the piece. Since the appraisals two years ago, I have not pursued selling them, but am hoping I could get more than 1/3 of the appraisals in hand.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You will likely need to get GIA reports for both of them.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the other leads- my appraisals were just on the loose diamonds thinking I might sell them. I didn't realize how things were done, and at the time a jeweler suggested I might have them set as earrings. They're kinda close but not a perfect match in my mind. The antique piece was my GG grandmothers. I had the diamonds removed, replaced with other much less valuable gems that I could wear without fear of losing the piece. Since the appraisals two years ago, I have not pursued selling them, but am hoping I could get more than 1/3 of the appraisals in hand.

You would do best to consign them. And get GIAs per @Kim N for them. a grace should be able to help. Talk to her.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
What are the estimated specs (ct weight, color and clarity) per the appraisal? I think we need a little more information about the stones first so that we can provide the appropriate suggestions/leads.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are the estimated specs (ct weight, color and clarity) per the appraisal? I think we need a little more information about the stones first so that we can provide the appropriate suggestions/leads.

agree with this. you haven't responded about the stones themselves. The appraisal must have some information that you can pass along. The advice we give you could be very different if the stones are 1/3 ct each or 3 cts each. And what the appraisal says about color and clarity will make a difference as well. Without this information you may end up getting the wrong advice here.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
As others have said, it depends on the stones.

Frankly if they are of a certain size you may have luck selling them here by posting them on Loupetroop

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Read your appraisal. Skip over the price and look for the definition of 'value'. With most, it's an estimate of what it would cost to replace the items with others of 'like kind and quality', at retail, new, locally. That's not what Worthy is saying. It's like selling your car for its weight in steel and then observing that the manufacturer got more than that. They did, but it's not evidence that the steel sale is a ripoff.

You, and more importantly your buyer, NEED to know what you have. Without that you will get bottom prices. Worthy is basing it on their own grading and they may or may not agree with your appraiser. They, of course, have competitors, and the competitors may grade it differently, but bids of 1/3 of some unspecified retail is not unusual.

The visible retail face of the jeweler will have nothing to do with it. It's far more a matter of your trust in them and in their grading. Upscale won't matter.

SGopher

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your patience...
I dug out my papers and the March 2020 local appraisals are not GIA, however the smaller 7.84 mm one I sent to Worthy Jun 2020 was evaluated by a GIA appraiser. Carat weight agrees- 1.75 carat. GIA evaluation says it is VS2, M color, while the other local appraisal says VS1, K color.
The larger one 7.98 mm was locally appraised March 2020 at 1.97 carat, VS1, K color.
Sounds like I do need to take them somewhere to get properly appraised. I am going to the SF area in a few weeks. Either I send them to Grace or meet with a broker in the Bay area... any thoughts and recommendations are appreciated, Thanks!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think at those sizes, I'd send them to GIA for their certs. That will certainly give you a size, color and clarity that others will rely on and the stones are large enough, that if they are attractive OECs may be able to bring more than 1/3 of what you were offered (maybe depending on what that is). Well cut OECs of VS1 and VS2 clarity, at M color, although warm, are not unpopular. Send them off to GIA. You may be able to sell them on loupetroop or something similar without paying consignment fees. Just a guess, but certainly worth a try. Make sure to have good photos and videos as those help a lot.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks everyone for your patience...
I dug out my papers and the March 2020 local appraisals are not GIA, however the smaller 7.84 mm one I sent to Worthy Jun 2020 was evaluated by a GIA appraiser. Carat weight agrees- 1.75 carat. GIA evaluation says it is VS2, M color, while the other local appraisal says VS1, K color.
The larger one 7.98 mm was locally appraised March 2020 at 1.97 carat, VS1, K color.
Sounds like I do need to take them somewhere to get properly appraised. I am going to the SF area in a few weeks. Either I send them to Grace or meet with a broker in the Bay area... any thoughts and recommendations are appreciated, Thanks!
If those grades are even close and you aren’t choking on the price or the time, go straight to GIA. You may still want to involve an appraiser to assist but id they’re pretty and I damaged, a VS K OEC will garner some enthusiasm with GIA papers that a house graded stone will not. instructions on how to do it and prices are at www.Gia.edu. Ship by usps registered mail (assuming you are in the US).

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Agree with all of this! GIA the way to go. Plus I commented so I can follow this thread :)

SGopher

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much everyone. As some of you noticed I put up my original pictures of the brooch on the antique thread asking how to wear the brooch. The pair of diamonds are stunning so I will get them GIA appraised soon before considering how to market them.

SGopher

Rough_Rock
Thanks, everyone for your help.
I made an appointment in SF, but was disappointed with the offer and did not sell there. I was able to find another jeweler who did vintage settings and have placed them on consignment in downtown SF. Hopefully the outcome will be substantially better and maybe accomplished by Christmas.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone for your help.
I made an appointment in SF, but was disappointed with the offer and did not sell there. I was able to find another jeweler who did vintage settings and have placed them on consignment in downtown SF. Hopefully the outcome will be substantially better and maybe accomplished by Christmas.

What was the consignment price?

Also, you may want to post in the Preloved subforum. There may be PSers that are interested.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results