shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you post a neutral review of a well-regarded vendor?

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Re: Would you post a neutral review of a well-regarded vendo

IndyLady|1389838530|3593726 said:
I just hate the idea of a shit storm. I know just what you mean.

Definitely not interested in getting slammed.

I'm on a different forum that also has a section for reviewing vendors related to that forum's interest. I had a less than stellar experience with a much-loved vendor, and I posted about it. I got attacked, even called a liar by one of their fan-boys. It got ugly, in part because I don't take kindly to garbage like that. I dropped the gloves. The way I see it, and vendor can drop the ball, and we're completely within out rights to talk about it. Just because a vendor has normally great customer service doesn't mean that someone who's at fault or lying. I'd rather you post an objective review, even if it means one of the vendors I love takes the hit. Just as long as you're posting a factual description, potential customers benefit from reading it.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock

IndyLady|1389849978|3593855 said:
crown1|1389811227|3593418 said:
Only if you want to read the replies of those here who hold them in high esteem. Your warning may make some hesitate to do business with the vendor but supporters will offer their accolades. That is a fair thing to happen, all may post their opinion, just don't go there if you will find that hurtful.

Right. I guess it is up to me to find it 'hurtful' so you are totally right about it. Its just a matter of perspective.

ruby59|1389812365|3593432 said:
You purchased a piece of jewelry that took 6 to 7 hours of your time to rectify. You felt that because you did not spend a lot of money on it, that maybe the vendor was justified in not giving you the quality and attention you deserved. And this did not raise a red flag?

A review should be of the quality of the jewelry and the customer service YOU received. Sounds more like a "negative" so I think you are being kind with just a "neutral."

I see people all the time stating they had a bad experience and others encouraging them to "out" the vendor. Why the change of heart here? Personally, I get very suspicious when all I see are rave reviews, because I know no one if perfect. Makes me wonder if some of them are plants.

IMO, post your experience - good or bad - as honestly as possible. How can anyone fault you for that?

Yep. It did raise a red flag. I try to give a vendor as much leeway as possible. I understand any variation of 'shit happens' to 'miscommunication over email' so I definitely tried my best to let it go.

Hi! I do not know if we had a meeting of the minds and just will clarify in case my comment was unclear. I was trying to say I have no problem with you reviewing your experience good or bad, I just did not want you to be hurt, if you got "slammed" by supporters. You are smart enough to know that I should have remained silent. Sorry!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I received an item last year that I planned on sharing with PS. It was a piece valued just under $2000. It came late, not a huge issue IMO, but it missed the significant anniversary it was intended for. The quality of the diamonds were less than promised, far less than what other PS'ers had obtained by giving the same instructions. I didn't bother posting. I figure I got what I paid for, but not what I asked for. The trouble was with only a minority of the diamonds. It was international shipping, so I didn't want to throw more money at it, for what I ended up deciding was a mind clean issue. I might have made a bigger issue of it, but my husband was already upset about it, so I just let it be. I'm fine with that decision. I would still buy from the vendor. I would offer to pay more to get what I wanted, not just accept that they would do their best or personally choose the right stones, etc. It's up to you.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Hm. Good question.

A year or so ago, I had a very unpleasant experience with a vendor - not a PriceScope vendor, but one who's mentioned on here fairly frequently. The vendor destroyed the ring attempting to refurbish it, dragged things out "fixing" the initial errors for three months (and making it worse in every iteration), finally grudgingly agreed to pay for a new one to be made to replace it, and then very classily sent me a check to cover it ... a check and just a check, no note saying "whoops, our bad," or anything.

It was the unrealistic plastic cherry atop the styrofoam cupcake of their customer service.

After that I was kind of vindictively looking forward to blasting them, until my husband said "C'mon, do you really want to be That Guy? Get somebody fired? Yes, you've been upset about it, but it's just a ring. You know yourself, you'll feel bad if you give in to your worst impulses." Which, okay, fair enough: I decided to let it go and practice my deep breathing.

My policy now is that I won't post a flamingly bad review if the vendor has rectified the error. But I will post neutral reviews, with the points raised by others in the thread earlier firmly in mind - i.e., this can cost a hard-working business its livelihood, everybody screws up sometimes, etc., etc., etc. - just because I think future customers are actually likelier not to post dreadful reviews of their own if they know what to expect.

If a customer knows off the bat that these guys have great prices, but take a week to respond to e-mail, they're less likely to be frustrated. If a customer knows off the bat that with those guys, you really truly need to emphasize that you want their upgraded melee, they're less likely to feel disappointed. And if a customer knows that those other guys are great with their own designs, not so much with translating customers custom ideas into practice, all the better for saving everybody concerned frustration: the customer doesn't wind up scratching their head and bomboarding the boards asking "What went wrong?!?!?" and the vendor doesn't have to do it over six times.

I kind of think of it as reverse matchmaking. Hey, if I'm sending two friends on a blind date, I'd warn them that despite both being great, one's a lousy tipper and the other one's liable to pull a filibuster left unchecked ... right? It's the oversell that will leave people feeling let down, every time.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

Circe|1389900045|3594143 said:
Hm. Good question.

A year or so ago, I had a very unpleasant experience with a vendor - not a PriceScope vendor, but one who's mentioned on here fairly frequently. The vendor destroyed the ring attempting to refurbish it, dragged things out "fixing" the initial errors for three months (and making it worse in every iteration), finally grudgingly agreed to pay for a new one to be made to replace it, and then very classily sent me a check to cover it ... a check and just a check, no note saying "whoops, our bad," or anything.

It was the unrealistic plastic cherry atop the styrofoam cupcake of their customer service.

After that I was kind of vindictively looking forward to blasting them, until my husband said "C'mon, do you really want to be That Guy? Get somebody fired? Yes, you've been upset about it, but it's just a ring. You know yourself, you'll feel bad if you give in to your worst impulses." Which, okay, fair enough: I decided to let it go and practice my deep breathing.

My policy now is that I won't post a flamingly bad review if the vendor has rectified the error. But I will post neutral reviews, with the points raised by others in the thread earlier firmly in mind - i.e., this can cost a hard-working business its livelihood, everybody screws up sometimes, etc., etc., etc. - just because I think future customers are actually likelier not to post dreadful reviews of their own if they know what to expect.

If a customer knows off the bat that these guys have great prices, but take a week to respond to e-mail, they're less likely to be frustrated. If a customer knows off the bat that with those guys, you really truly need to emphasize that you want their upgraded melee, they're less likely to feel disappointed. And if a customer knows that those other guys are great with their own designs, not so much with translating customers custom ideas into practice, all the better for saving everybody concerned frustration: the customer doesn't wind up scratching their head and bomboarding the boards asking "What went wrong?!?!?" and the vendor doesn't have to do it over six times.

I kind of think of it as reverse matchmaking. Hey, if I'm sending two friends on a blind date, I'd warn them that despite both being great, one's a lousy tipper and the other one's liable to pull a filibuster left unchecked ... right? It's the oversell that will leave people feeling let down, every time.

I look at it this way. What if that ring he destroyed was an irreplacable family heirloom? Or maybe the next ring might be. I do not want to see anyone losing their job, but not everyone is right for the job that are in. Yes I know we are not talking about an incompetent physician or traffic controller, but if any service provider is not up to the task, I would be grateful to someone giving me a heads up.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Circe|1389900045|3594143 said:
Hm. Good question.

Yes, I agree. It is all about expectations and if you know what to expect and have a realistic picture you are much less likely to be disappointed and more likely to be a satisfied customer. It's a win win situation.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock

Yes, I think it is good for people to have honest reviews to use when making buying decisions. But be mindful that there are a lot of super loyal consumers on here who have a tendency to bash anyone posting a review that does not agree with their own views on that particular vendor. I learned that the hard way many many years ago. I basically got called a gold digger and my husband a doormat because we were upgrading my ring several times due to not being happy. Which is super funny to me now as I watch people on here constantly buy and sell diamonds/settings etc.. So yes, be honest! It's good for consumers and for vendors. It helps them seem their faults and correct them for the next customer. But just remember not take it personally if someone goes all bat poop crazy on you for posting a non-glowing review of their favorite vendor.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jax172|1389907505|3594203 said:
Yes, I think it is good for people to have honest reviews to use when making buying decisions. But be mindful that there are a lot of super loyal consumers on here who have a tendency to bash anyone posting a review that does not agree with their own views on that particular vendor. I learned that the hard way many many years ago. I basically got called a gold digger and my husband a doormat because we were upgrading my ring several times due to not being happy. Which is super funny to me now as I watch people on here constantly buy and sell diamonds/settings etc.. So yes, be honest! It's good for consumers and for vendors. It helps them seem their faults and correct them for the next customer. But just remember not take it personally if someone goes all bat poop crazy on you for posting a non-glowing review of their favorite vendor.

It is funny how things can shift over time too. I remember when Leon Mege could practically do no wrong on the boards. Oh how times change!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

Snicklefritz|1389821480|3593541 said:
Given that your thoughts are more neutral, this may not apply to you, Indy. I understand that less than stellar reviews have their place, but when considering writing anything other than a positive review on a public forum, I think it's good to ask yourself is what I have to say worth causing this company a loss of business and potentially the loss of employee jobs? We often have no idea what results from of our bad reviews.

This comment was especially interesting to me. Is it worth causing this company a loss of business? Well, it is worth wasting my time and money on this business? I don't ask to be argumentative. But, how do you balance those interests? I do prefer not to waste either money or time. Is my interest in my money outweighed by the interest of the business' success?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

crown1|1389897761|3594124 said:
IndyLady|1389849978|3593855 said:
crown1|1389811227|3593418 said:
Only if you want to read the replies of those here who hold them in high esteem. Your warning may make some hesitate to do business with the vendor but supporters will offer their accolades. That is a fair thing to happen, all may post their opinion, just don't go there if you will find that hurtful.

Right. I guess it is up to me to find it 'hurtful' so you are totally right about it. Its just a matter of perspective.

ruby59|1389812365|3593432 said:
You purchased a piece of jewelry that took 6 to 7 hours of your time to rectify. You felt that because you did not spend a lot of money on it, that maybe the vendor was justified in not giving you the quality and attention you deserved. And this did not raise a red flag?

A review should be of the quality of the jewelry and the customer service YOU received. Sounds more like a "negative" so I think you are being kind with just a "neutral."

I see people all the time stating they had a bad experience and others encouraging them to "out" the vendor. Why the change of heart here? Personally, I get very suspicious when all I see are rave reviews, because I know no one if perfect. Makes me wonder if some of them are plants.

IMO, post your experience - good or bad - as honestly as possible. How can anyone fault you for that?

Yep. It did raise a red flag. I try to give a vendor as much leeway as possible. I understand any variation of 'shit happens' to 'miscommunication over email' so I definitely tried my best to let it go.

Hi! I do not know if we had a meeting of the minds and just will clarify in case my comment was unclear. I was trying to say I have no problem with you reviewing your experience good or bad, I just did not want you to be hurt, if you got "slammed" by supporters. You are smart enough to know that I should have remained silent. Sorry!

Crown, thank you! I totally saw your point. I was responding furiously just before stepping out for dinner, so I phrased myself in a short way. I really appreciate that you are looking out for me, and don't want me to be hurt :wavey:

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think as long as the vendor does their level best to make you happy and make it right... All good.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Yes. I have put a negative review of a well esteemed vendor before, after I had done absolutely everything I could think of to resolve it. Given that I lost about $1800 (I still do not use the custom setting), I think I my review was very understated, and it was accepted on PS.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Funnily enough I just received a very... curt reply (which did not even answer my question) to an email I sent out regarding a custom project from a very esteemed PS gem seller. Needless to say I won't be going that route for future projects! :roll:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would post honest reviews regardless. As i know people have said, its important for people to here HONEST feedback, not just fluff. It makes me sad to think site doesnt offer that for fear of repercussion.

I dont think it should be overly mean because your emotions have you hot (i mean the general you, not you in particular) but i think it should be an accurate portrayal of your work with them.

If they sucked then eventually made it right. Id like to hear that. Because if i hear 6 reviews in a year like that, i find it relevant. Or maybe ill respect the way they "made it right" for the customer, and will find a neutral review just as helpful

IF they were terrible? If they were great? tell me that too.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

IndyLady, hello, I've pretty much read most of this thread.. many great thoughts.. I would like to read your EXPERIENCE with a vendor(s)..

Someone above wrote the "OMG THIS VENDOR IS GREAT" or the "OMG THIS VENDOR SUCKED" reviews are usually biased, which I think is very true.... but your experience has lead you to form a opinion AND assuredly you would buy again from the vendor.. frankly in this world that is usually how it goes down.. the GREAT, the good, the mediocre and the jeez that sucked experience is how most of us experience any buy not just jewelry.. What I discerned was that your experience was good and a bit of 'man that 'sucked' but all in all it's a nice product'.. personally I think that people like to read this type of info.. There are people who have replied who've been around a heck of a lot longer than and have many more experiences with multiple vendors who's knowledge is invaluable.

I read a thread here from a lovely woman who kept having her stone reset by different jewelry artists :) till she got what she wanted.. after reading that thread I would have chose the vendor who's product I liked the best, not necessarily her choice.. I found that to be a very good thread.. I think people have varied experiences and all experiences are great to read.

peace.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock

IndyLady|1389911310|3594237 said:
Snicklefritz|1389821480|3593541 said:
Given that your thoughts are more neutral, this may not apply to you, Indy. I understand that less than stellar reviews have their place, but when considering writing anything other than a positive review on a public forum, I think it's good to ask yourself is what I have to say worth causing this company a loss of business and potentially the loss of employee jobs? We often have no idea what results from of our bad reviews.

This comment was especially interesting to me. Is it worth causing this company a loss of business? Well, it is worth wasting my time and money on this business? I don't ask to be argumentative. But, how do you balance those interests? I do prefer not to waste either money or time. Is my interest in my money outweighed by the interest of the business' success?

No, but as far I know there are no forums where businesses get to review or rate their experiences with customers and tell other businesses not to deal with them. And nor do I think there should be; just pointing out that it's usually pretty one sided. As a result, I think that when is comes to reviews on public forums, it's good to consider all repercussions and if it's worth it to you to post, then type away. I think I'm coming off as being anti-critical reviews, but that's not the case. :saint:

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Circe!!!

I have to say i'm curious who the vendor was that did your ring and botched it! I had a beautiful antique sapphire setting that a non-PS vendor (but mentioned all the time on RT) completely botched for me. he was just supposed to reset a new diamond into my antique ring and instead adding a bezel and made several other changes that to me DESTROYED the look of the ring. After many frantic phone calls and several very rude emails he fixed 90% of the "damage" to my ring and still charged me $500 for a bezel I never wanted and asked to be removed. Just thinking about it boils my blood. I have thought about posting my review on PS as it would warn others that he does great work but probably shouldn't do antique rehap unless you WRITE OUT SPECIFICALLY WHAT YOU WANT DONE. :angryfire: :angryfire:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wish that you guys would post your true feelings/reviews about the vendors you work with because that is the only way for people's expectations to be realistic and as I wrote before it is a win win situation for all involved.

For the vendor because the customer going into the project will have reasonable expectations and for the customer so they won't be disappointed with the outcome. Of course there will still be problems but I think overall the situation will be improved than if said vendor only has all glowing reviews. And yes, it might change one's mind as to which vendor to work with but isn't it better to find the best match for you re vendor/consumer?

I for one really appreciated HOT's less than stellar review last year of a PS vendor. It allowed me to reevaluate and though I had a positive result with that vendor I would be more careful moving forward if I were to enter a project with them again.

I find reviews incredibly helpful and not just for PS vendors. I would never buy on ebay if the rating system didn't exist and ditto for Amazon and other sites. And even for doctors-I like to read other reviews and while I may take them with a grain of salt it can be very helpful. In fact, that is how I found my current GYN who I love. I have been going to her for a few years now and I found her through amazing reviews online. And they were all correct!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SB621|1389973193|3594653 said:
Circe!!!

I have to say i'm curious who the vendor was that did your ring and botched it! I had a beautiful antique sapphire setting that a non-PS vendor (but mentioned all the time on RT) completely botched for me. he was just supposed to reset a new diamond into my antique ring and instead adding a bezel and made several other changes that to me DESTROYED the look of the ring. After many frantic phone calls and several very rude emails he fixed 90% of the "damage" to my ring and still charged me $500 for a bezel I never wanted and asked to be removed. Just thinking about it boils my blood. I have thought about posting my review on PS as it would warn others that he does great work but probably shouldn't do antique rehap unless you WRITE OUT SPECIFICALLY WHAT YOU WANT DONE. :angryfire: :angryfire:

Oh no, SB, what happened?!! I remember you'd mentioned having a reset done but I don't remember anything about this - email me?

nyquestioner

Shiny_Rock

I guess this is naive, but I'm disappointed at how many people don't post neutral/negative reviews. I feel like an important part of this forum is learning about other people's experiences with vendors, and if only positive reviews are posted then you can't get a full picture. Then there are a few vendors that people feel comfortable posting negative reviews about because a critical mass of people have done so before them, and you end up with a very skewed picture where you may assume that if a vendor has little or no neutral/negative feedback, then it means that no one has had any negative experiences with them. I think it's unfortunate for several reasons.

1. It continues a cycle of adulation of certain vendors where people think they can do no wrong, and point to the fact that no one has had problems with them (or only that one person, who must be a troublemaker...) More people need to post their feedback to break this cycle.

2. People have remarked that they worry about affecting a vendor's business. But I think it's fair to say that not every vendor is good at every thing. For example, a vendor may just not be very good at rehabbing an antique ring. Is it fair for an unsuspecting fellow pricescoper to send her precious family heirloom to that vendor when you could have avoided that? It doesn't mean that people will automatically stop using that vendor for everything. I would like to know who caused several of the problems mentioned above, because I might avoid them _for specific types of projects_. It doesn't mean I would avoid them for everything.

3. Negative reviews about customer service or about communication are very important because they can help people avoid a lot of frustration or unrealistic expectations and teach them in what circumstances they may want to use a vendor and how to communicate best with them. For example, if you post that a vendor is very slow to respond to emails, it could help someone know not to use them for an asap project but the same person may be happy to use them for a leisurely project without frustration. Or for example, I read a lot of the negative feedback about Leon, and I still used Leon! But it actually helped me know what to expect from his communication style and know, for example, what things I had to be very specific about, and what things not to take offense at, etc. I would actually feel more comfortable using some of the other vendors if I knew more about what their weaknesses were.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

nyquestioner|1389978751|3594721 said:
I guess this is naive, but I'm disappointed at how many people don't post neutral/negative reviews. I feel like an important part of this forum is learning about other people's experiences with vendors, and if only positive reviews are posted then you can't get a full picture. Then there are a few vendors that people feel comfortable posting negative reviews about because a critical mass of people have done so before them, and you end up with a very skewed picture where you may assume that if a vendor has little or no neutral/negative feedback, then it means that no one has had any negative experiences with them. I think it's unfortunate for several reasons.

1. It continues a cycle of adulation of certain vendors where people think they can do no wrong, and point to the fact that no one has had problems with them (or only that one person, who must be a troublemaker...) More people need to post their feedback to break this cycle.

2. People have remarked that they worry about affecting a vendor's business. But I think it's fair to say that not every vendor is good at every thing. For example, a vendor may just not be very good at rehabbing an antique ring. Is it fair for an unsuspecting fellow pricescoper to send her precious family heirloom to that vendor when you could have avoided that? It doesn't mean that people will automatically stop using that vendor for everything. I would like to know who caused several of the problems mentioned above, because I might avoid them _for specific types of projects_. It doesn't mean I would avoid them for everything.

3. Negative reviews about customer service or about communication are very important because they can help people avoid a lot of frustration or unrealistic expectations and teach them in what circumstances they may want to use a vendor and how to communicate best with them. For example, if you post that a vendor is very slow to respond to emails, it could help someone know not to use them for an asap project but the same person may be happy to use them for a leisurely project without frustration. Or for example, I read a lot of the negative feedback about Leon, and I still used Leon! But it actually helped me know what to expect from his communication style and know, for example, what things I had to be very specific about, and what things not to take offense at, etc. I would actually feel more comfortable using some of the other vendors if I knew more about what their weaknesses were.

All very good points.
However, having started one of those threads (for exactly those reasons, honestly) that did become very heated, to the point where the vendor in question accused me of having an agenda and using my post history on PS to further it, one PSer took the "bashing" - which I was rather desperately trying to avoid, or at least squelch - to a new level and called my new ring a 'distorted jumble of wire', and yet another PSer seemingly decided that it was evidence of me being too unreasonable for anyone to ever work with and apparently actually contacted another vendor I'd mentioned reaching out to offline several months later for a different project to warn him off of working with me (I believe there were a couple of others on that blacklist too) - I'm far too thin-skinned for that battlefield. I will also now refrain from posting about pending projects and personal circumstances.

ETA: To be fair, most of the commentary - agreement and disagreement - was very reasonable and polite, my situation was unusual and I think I happened to hit some sore spots with my thread that most reviews usually wouldn't!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have seen many examples of people being on both sides of the fence. Either being criticized for giving an honest review, or being the ones who are critical of another's ring. In fact, I just revisited a thread with such examples because I am considering David Klass for part of my upcoming ring project. His prices aren't insane and he does beautiful work but has been ripped. to. shreds. in a thread about someone's ring. And it can hurt the owner of the piece no matter which side of the fence they are on. Sometimes it is best to say nothing at all if it risks making a person feel horrible about a treasured piece of jewelry.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elliot86|1389983710|3594767 said:
I have seen many examples of people being on both sides of the fence. Either being criticized for giving an honest review, or being the ones who are critical of another's ring. In fact, I just revisited a thread with such examples because I am considering David Klass for part of my upcoming ring project. His prices aren't insane and he does beautiful work but has been ripped. to. shreds. in a thread about someone's ring. And it can hurt the owner of the piece no mateer which side of the fence they are on. Sometimes it is best to say nothing at all if it risks making a person feel horrible about a treasured piece of jewelry.

oh my gosh yes....
someone who post a rave review of DK can get slammed with people saying " yeah but..."

and dare speak a negative comment about VC and you be in for it....

i do not think that that is necessarily a positive attribute of this forum. I just hate the idea that opinions are only welcome when they dont make waves.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have seen many examples of people being on both sides of the fence. Either being criticized for giving an honest review, or being the ones who are critical of another's ring. In fact, I just revisited a thread with such examples because I am considering David Klass for part of my upcoming ring project. His prices aren't insane and he does beautiful work but has been ripped. to. shreds. in a thread about someone's ring. And it can hurt the owner of the piece no matter which side of the fence they are on. Sometimes it is best to say nothing at all if it risks making a person feel horrible about a treasured piece of jewelry.

In someone's SMTB thread?
I don't remember that - I hope that's not the case. SMTB threads aren't the place for anything but gushing.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie|1389985005|3594778 said:

I don't remember that - I hope that's not the case. SMTB threads aren't the place for anything but gushing.

No, but interestingly enough it was a PS spinoff discussion of the equivalent of a SMTB thread taking place of a different site. I don't mention it to start trouble or reopen any hurt feelings, but rather to point out that sometimes preconceived bias does exist and can sting in both directions. So it is good to be conscious of how personal feelings towards projects and their outcomes might affect the person behind the screen who is wearing it. In the end I would probably not end up sharing my finished piece on here if I decided to go with DK because I know the vendor I am potentially choosing is not well recieved on this site.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

I think people should post honest reviews good/bad/neutral with all the information.
But can people take responsibility when they destroy a ring?

Every time I read, my rings only 3 months old and its crushed flat but I'm super careful and didn't do anything to it so its not my fault and the vendor wont fix it for free, I wanna puke.
These days I don't even bother finish reading them much less answering.

Another thing:
It is a fact that once a ring is damage and needs extensive repairs it is never no matter how good the benchman going to be the same and there is no guarantee it will even turn out well.
I think some vendors are too happy to please and should say no that is too far gone much more often.
Knowing that when deciding on a repair would save a lot of heartache.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elliot86|1389985434|3594787 said:

No, but interestingly enough it was a PS spinoff discussion of the equivalent of a SMTB thread taking place of a different site. I don't mention it to start trouble or reopen any hurt feelings, but rather to point out that sometimes preconceived bias does exist and can sting in both directions. So it is good to be conscious of how personal feelings towards projects and their outcomes might affect the person behind the screen who is wearing it. In the end I would probably not end up sharing my finished piece on here if I decided to go with DK because I know the vendor I am potentially choosing is not well recieved on this site.

I don't remember it still, I'm afraid, but I think you're right not to link it here.

I'm not entirely sure what to say but I feel compelled to say something... I've said some things I've regretted on the subject of DK. My opinion on some of his practices has not changed, but I regret those posts because I knew at the time that what I had to say might hurt another consumer on the other side of another monitor and I dismissed that fact because I considered expressing my point of view more important than her feelings. Of course, once the frustration died off that soapbox collapsed and I just felt bad for having said what I wanted to in the way that I did :(sad

Yes, I have strong feelings on some subjects and I'm vocal about them, but after that incident I've taken care with how I express those feelings and I've tried to word posts in ways that won't hurt people's feelings. I'm excited about your rose cut custom design project and I selfishly hope you will share it on PS, whatever vendor you go with, because I'd love to see the final ring!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

JewelFreak|1389817967|3593504 said:
+1. The flamers & vicious commenters are being given way too much influence & doing too much damage here lately. It's when people muzzle themselves and/or leave the forum that the whole bunch of us suffer. Ignore the babies, poorly raised, & immature and say what you have to say if you feel your experience will be useful to others.

--- Laurie

I just want to say that I think all reviews are important, and that how an "unfortunate incident" or worse is handled says a lot about the vendor. I remember an incident many years ago when a vendor was viciously attached about a "defect" that was microscopic (literally) in nature. I truly felt the vendor was not at fault and I felt that the OP was being ridiculously unfair using his microscope at work to criticize a setting job that looked perfect to the eye.

Flaming though, for expressing an honest opinion should always be reported to the moderator. Use the report post button. To paraphrase Chicago's Mayor Daly, report post early and report post often until the flaming is stopped. Flaming can destroy a vibrant community if it is allowed to continue.

Just my opinion of course.

Wink

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie|1389990285|3594843 said:
Elliot86|1389985434|3594787 said:

I don't remember it still, I'm afraid, but I think you're right not to link it here.

I'm not entirely sure what to say but I feel compelled to say something... I've said some things I've regretted on the subject of DK. My opinion on some of his practices has not changed, but I regret those posts because I knew at the time that what I had to say might hurt another consumer on the other side of another monitor and I dismissed that fact because I considered expressing my point of view more important than her feelings. Of course, once the frustration died off that soapbox collapsed and I just felt bad for having said what I wanted to in the way that I did :(sad

Yes, I have strong feelings on some subjects and I'm vocal about them, but after that incident I've taken care with how I express those feelings and I've tried to word posts in ways that won't hurt people's feelings. I'm excited about your rose cut custom design project and I selfishly hope you will share it on PS, whatever vendor you go with, because I'd love to see the final ring!

I appreciate your thoughts Yssie and my comments were in no way a direct lecture of any sort, I just happened to be ruminating on the subject because of my recent correspondance with DK. I could just have easily cited an example from CS a few weeks ago where one PSer was excited to show off a new stone and it disolved into a back and forth about the quality produced by a particular vendor for settings. In the end it resulted in frustration on both sides-those who love her work and the OP who does not-and consequently the set stone has not reappeared on the boards (that I know of). In any case we should all agree that less sparklies to look at because of fear that they won't live up to "The Pricescope Standard" is a bad thing! :lol:

Polished

Brilliant_Rock

Wink|1389990477|3594848 said:
I just want to say that I think all reviews are important, and that how an "unfortunate incident" or worse is handled says a lot about the vendor. I remember an incident many years ago when a vendor was viciously attached about a "defect" that was microscopic (literally) in nature. I truly felt the vendor was not at fault and I felt that the OP was being ridiculously unfair using his microscope at work to criticize a setting job that looked perfect to the eye.

Wink

A situation like that can be so over the top that it actually draws attention to just how good the vendor is. :razz:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results