shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you post a neutral review of a well-regarded vendor?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I purchased a small and relatively inexpensive piece from a well regarded vendor. There were some problems with the experience that has taken about 6-7 hours of my time resolve. Nothing that's a red flag that would keep me from buying from them at all, but--I didn't get the experience that some other posters have, and I felt like the vendor put in little effort to help. I'm guessing that's likely because my purchase was not very expensive. I'm disappointed, though. I've spend a while eyeing their site, and definitely imagined myself purchasing from them in the future. I worry that writing a bad review would sever that relationship. But, I also worry that someone else might have a similar trying experience. Would you post a lukewarm review of a well regarded vendor?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Would you post a neutral review of a well-regarded vendo

Which vendor is it??? :cheeky:

I'd not post a review if I planned to do business w/them again IF my review was about customer service *and* I worked with them over the phone and planned to work w/them like that again (but why work w/someone who has provided bad customer service?). If my comments were about a general item they sold, then I'd post.

One vendor I've worked with many times has sent some so-so items and I have NO problem saying I've only kept half of what I've ordered because they have amazing customer service, so it hasn't been a personal issue, just when something arrived, it wasn't what I thought it would look like (these have all been stock items, not custom pieces). I've not started any threads, but made comments in other threads if questions have ever come up.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock

No, I wouldn't. I've had similar experiences and, like yours, the problem was resolved. I think the bottom line is the issue was resolved and you would buy from them again in the future. In this day and age with sites like Yelp etc, posting a neutral review is almost the same as a semi-negative review. People have high expectations. What message would you be trying to send to readers if you did post a neutral review?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

No, probably not if the issue was resolved and I felt that I would shop with them again. I would, however, leave a positive review, but then elaborate on how I was not 100% satisfied (some review systems allow you to post not only positive/negative, but also allow you to leave commentary on your experience).

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I have, because 1) in theory it could help resolve the issue and 2) it's not fair to people to ONLY see the good reviews. I've also posted some pretty scathing reviews of one of the most beloved. It caused a sh@tstorm doing so, but it was SO BAD that I felt it was necessary to post about it.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

I have written 1 semi luke warm review on a vendor. However in general I don't recommend it. I have seen too many people get slammed on PS by other members defending their 'chosen ones' (aka vendors). Just not worth the drama which is sad as being a prosumer forum you should feel safe to write about your experience.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock

Only if you want to read the replies of those here who hold them in high esteem. Your warning may make some hesitate to do business with the vendor but supporters will offer their accolades. That is a fair thing to happen, all may post their opinion, just don't go there if you will find that hurtful.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

You purchased a piece of jewelry that took 6 to 7 hours of your time to rectify. You felt that because you did not spend a lot of money on it, that maybe the vendor was justified in not giving you the quality and attention you deserved. And this did not raise a red flag?

A review should be of the quality of the jewelry and the customer service YOU received. Sounds more like a "negative" so I think you are being kind with just a "neutral."

I see people all the time stating they had a bad experience and others encouraging them to "out" the vendor. Why the change of heart here? Personally, I get very suspicious when all I see are rave reviews, because I know no one if perfect. Makes me wonder if some of them are plants.

IMO, post your experience - good or bad - as honestly as possible. How can anyone fault you for that?

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock

ruby59|1389812365|3593432 said:
You purchased a piece of jewelry that took 6 to 7 hours of your time to rectify. You felt that because you did not spend a lot of money on it, that maybe the vendor was justified in not giving you the quality and attention you deserved. And this did not raise a red flag?

A review should be of the quality of the jewelry and the customer service YOU received. Sounds more like a "negative" so I think you are being kind with just a "neutral."

I see people all the time stating they had a bad experience and others encouraging them to "out" the vendor. Why the change of heart here? Personally, I get very suspicious when all I see are rave reviews, because I know no one if perfect. Makes me wonder if some of them are plants.

IMO, post your experience - good or bad - as honestly as possible. How can anyone fault you for that?

As far as I can tell, This part is purely speculation. I have been the position where a lot of money (well over 5k) was involved and there were still communication issues etc.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ame|1389808882|3593388 said:
I have, because 1) in theory it could help resolve the issue and 2) it's not fair to people to ONLY see the good reviews. I've also posted some pretty scathing reviews of one of the most beloved. It caused a sh@tstorm doing so, but it was SO BAD that I felt it was necessary to post about it.

Yes, both good AND bad/neutral reviews need to be posted. I find them to be helpful personally.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Laila619|1389815124|3593469 said:
Yes, both good AND bad/neutral reviews need to be posted. I find them to be helpful personally.

Like SB, I've seen posters who write bad/neutral reviews get slammed by the vendor's strong supporters. I've been burned myself and
will no longer write a neutral or negative review. If you choose to do so, my advice is to put on your flame suit and be prepared for major drama.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby59 said:

crown1 said:
Only if you want to read the replies of those here who hold them in high esteem. Your warning may make some hesitate to do business with the vendor but supporters will offer their accolades. That is a fair thing to happen, all may post their opinion, just don't go there if you will find that hurtful.

I've written exactly one negative review of a beloved vendor and I will never do so again here on PS. The fact is that even when you're trying to be as honest, factual, and inoffensive as possible, you can never be completely unbiased... Some readers will recognise that, and will recognise that *you* recognise that, and voice agreement or objection to your review politely and reasonably, and stay on-topic, but others won't, and a few can be shockingly vicious.

So yeah... no thanks! I'm quite happy to think that my no-fingers-in-the-pie RT participation fulfills my civic duty requirement ::)

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

There seems to be bad blood among certain posters up and down these threads. And part of it is because some posters feel they cannot be true to themselves or they will be targeted. And then they resent it and post that they are leaving.

Unless you are a third party, it is impossible to be totally unbiased. And to those who disagree, politely respond. To those who flame, ignore them

I will be here 10 years next month, and I have seen it all. The only way to make it on a discussion board is to have a thick skin, pick your battles, and know that some people are going to drive you crazy, so give them a wide berth.

SMC

Ideal_Rock

IndyLady|1389806952|3593370 said:
I purchased a small and relatively inexpensive piece from a well regarded vendor. There were some problems with the experience that has taken about 6-7 hours of my time resolve. Nothing that's a red flag that would keep me from buying from them at all, but--I didn't get the experience that some other posters have, and I felt like the vendor put in little effort to help. I'm guessing that's likely because my purchase was not very expensive. I'm disappointed, though. I've spend a while eyeing their site, and definitely imagined myself purchasing from them in the future. I worry that writing a bad review would sever that relationship. But, I also worry that someone else might have a similar trying experience. Would you post a lukewarm review of a well regarded vendor?
I'm interested in reading these responses because I've had the same experience with another PS darling. There was a small fault with my finished piece and the vendor neglected some of my instructions. I don't think I'd create a specific thread mentioning my experience, but I'd likely bring it up in as a potential gotcha if anyone was looking to order the exact same item. My experience wasn't bad enough for me to never order from that vendor again either.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

+1. The flamers & vicious commenters are being given way too much influence & doing too much damage here lately. It's when people muzzle themselves and/or leave the forum that the whole bunch of us suffer. Ignore the babies, poorly raised, & immature and say what you have to say if you feel your experience will be useful to others.

--- Laurie

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If I had to spend 6-7 hours of my time to resolve a problem :errrr: , I would honestly have cancelled the order, and it would probably be reflected in my review. Most problems can be taken care of in a few emails or a couple of phone calls.

If I wanted to work with them again, I'd just post a SMTB post and mention there were some communication problems or it had to be remade or whatever, but you were happy with the end result and would work with them again.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock

I'm sorry that you didn't have a positive experience with your vendor. And I completely understand your desire to share this with the forum. I was in the same situation once and believe me when I say that many here have strong opinions and will definitely feel the need to vigorously support that vendor even to the point of sending your review to the vendor so that they may defend themselves. Just remember that reviews can negatively or positively impact businesses so be prepared that a less than positive review may in the end cost you any kind of future relationship with this vendor.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chrono|1389815330|3593472 said:
Laila619|1389815124|3593469 said:

Like SB, I've seen posters who write bad/neutral reviews get slammed by the vendor's strong supporters. I've been burned myself and
will no longer write a neutral or negative review. If you choose to do so, my advice is to put on your flame suit and be prepared for major drama.

That is a shame.

Of course, I guess I don't take my own advice, because I had a huge issue with Whiteflash in 2009 and I was too chickensh*t to post my review.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock

Given that your thoughts are more neutral, this may not apply to you, Indy. I understand that less than stellar reviews have their place, but when considering writing anything other than a positive review on a public forum, I think it's good to ask yourself is what I have to say worth causing this company a loss of business and potentially the loss of employee jobs? We often have no idea what results from of our bad reviews.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't get why people won't write negative or neutral reviews. Or rather... I don't get why people come out with pitchforks when it happens. As someone who uses PS to decide who to buy from, all reviews help me, and I'd rather hear about how you had X problem that they did Y to resolve and how much effort it took than not hear about it at all.

Maybe we should have a "negative or neutral reviews" thread, where anything that is not a review gets deleted.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby59|1389817595|3593496 said:
There seems to be bad blood among certain posters up and down these threads. And part of it is because some posters feel they cannot be true to themselves or they will be targeted. And then they resent it and post that they are leaving.

Unless you are a third party, it is impossible to be totally unbiased. And to those who disagree, politely respond. To those who flame, ignore them

I will be here 10 years next month, and I have seen it all. The only way to make it on a discussion board is to have a thick skin, pick your battles, and know that some people are going to drive you crazy, so give them a wide berth.

:wavey:

I don't know why I quoted your post and crown1's earlier - I didn't mean to! Hazards of posting on one's phone - I probably hit quote instead of reply.

Snicklefritz said:
Given that your thoughts are more neutral, this may not apply to you, Indy. I understand that less than stellar reviews have their place, but when considering writing anything other than a positive review on a public forum, I think it's good to ask yourself is what I have to say worth causing this company a loss of business and potentially the loss of employee jobs? We often have no idea what results from of our bad reviews.

I would hate to think that anyone takes reviews lightly, positive or negative. A "review" of OMG VENDORX IS SOOOOO AWESOME is just as useless as OMG VENDORX SUXXXXXXXXX, and both are less useful than saying nothing at all!

I put "reviews" in quotes above because IMO there's a HUGE difference between a "review" and a "rant".

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

I think it's fine to post a neutral or dissatisfied review; this forum accomplishes its objectives the best when people are honest about their experiences.

As far as 'vendor fans', I think there are tons of times when people come here expecting others to share in their outrage -- and blame is on fan-ism when they don't get that support instead of acknowledging that their expectations weren't reasonable.

For me, reasonable complaints would be things along these lines:

1. They didn't reply to several emails, and were equally unresponsive when I reached out to them via phone.
2. They committed to get back to me by x date, and instead of calling to tell me they needed more time, they just missed the date.
3. They assured me there was enough time to complete my project by my need-by date and then didn't deliver.

Here's are examples of things I find less sympathetic because I think they're unreasonable:

1. I'm mad because I don't think I should have to pay the design fee (even though I was told up front that fee was non-refundable).
2. I'm angry the vendor refuses to bend their policies for me, even though they were clearly stated up front (i.e. won't take back a stone post stated return period, etc.)
3. I expect the vendor to set aside policies to offset my poor decisions (i.e. I chose to not to inspect my multi-thousand dollar diamond during the inspection period so I could save $50, and now I've decided I want to return it and I'm mad they won't let me.)
4. I only gave the vendor 1.5 weeks to do a typically 3-week job, and now i'm upset they didn't meet my expectation (even though I'm at fault for not leaving enough time.)
5. I chose this vendor because I wanted the cheapest price, but I want him to give me all the same policies/perks the other vendors do (even though I didn't choose those vendors because they were more expensive).
6. I'm upset the vendor sold my diamond to be as a G because my local appraiser said it's an I (even though the AGS report, which is the fair marketing value of record, says it's a G).

I think all reasonable style feedback is fair game, and there's rarely fan-ism when someone's expectations and complaints are founded.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

aljdewey|1389825229|3593578 said:

1. They didn't reply to several emails, and were equally unresponsive when I reached out to them via phone.
2. They committed to get back to me by x date, and instead of calling to tell me they needed more time, they just missed the date.
3. They assured me there was enough time to complete my project by my need-by date and then didn't deliver.

Here's are examples of things I find less sympathetic because I think they're unreasonable:

1. I'm mad because I don't think I should have to pay the design fee (even though I was told up front that fee was non-refundable).
2. I'm angry the vendor refuses to bend their policies for me, even though they were clearly stated up front (i.e. won't take back a stone post stated return period, etc.)
3. I expect the vendor to set aside policies to offset my poor decisions (i.e. I chose to not to inspect my multi-thousand dollar diamond during the inspection period so I could save $50, and now I've decided I want to return it and I'm mad they won't let me.)
4. I only gave the vendor 1.5 weeks to do a typically 3-week job, and now i'm upset they didn't meet my expectation (even though I'm at fault for not leaving enough time.)
5. I chose this vendor because I wanted the cheapest price, but I want him to give me all the same policies/perks the other vendors do (even though I didn't choose those vendors because they were more expensive).
6. I'm upset the vendor sold my diamond to be as a G because my local appraiser said it's an I (even though the AGS report, which is the fair marketing value of record, says it's a G).

I think all reasonable style feedback is fair game, and there's rarely fan-ism when someone's expectations and complaints are founded.

A lot of times it's not that simple, and there are murky gray areas where the vendor is acting questionably.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it's fine to post a neutral or dissatisfied review; this forum accomplishes its objectives the best when people are honest about their experiences.

As far as 'vendor fans', I think there are tons of times when people come here expecting others to share in their outrage -- and blame is on fan-ism when they don't get that support instead of acknowledging that their expectations weren't reasonable.

I agree. As long as it is reasonable feedback it is appreciated by the majority of people. As Alj said that is a big part of this forum and can be extremely helpful.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Workmanship issues or the piece having defects/whatever that cause it not to hold up to "normal wear" should qualify as reasonable negatives that shouldn't require a flamesuit be donned.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

Thank you all SO much for your responses. I appreciate it very much, and am definitely enjoying hearing your thoughts and reading some opinions that run counter to my own.

MC|1389807806|3593377 said:
Which vendor is it??? :cheeky:

I'd not post a review if I planned to do business w/them again IF my review was about customer service *and* I worked with them over the phone and planned to work w/them like that again (but why work w/someone who has provided bad customer service?). If my comments were about a general item they sold, then I'd post.

One vendor I've worked with many times has sent some so-so items and I have NO problem saying I've only kept half of what I've ordered because they have amazing customer service, so it hasn't been a personal issue, just when something arrived, it wasn't what I thought it would look like (these have all been stock items, not custom pieces). I've not started any threads, but made comments in other threads if questions have ever come up.

I think I'll refrain for now too. I'd like to leave the option of buying from that vendor open for now.

Snicklefritz|1389808157|3593380 said:
No, I wouldn't. I've had similar experiences and, like yours, the problem was resolved. I think the bottom line is the issue was resolved and you would buy from them again in the future. In this day and age with sites like Yelp etc, posting a neutral review is almost the same as a semi-negative review. People have high expectations. What message would you be trying to send to readers if you did post a neutral review?

What message? That their customer service was--lacking. And, that if you're not someone that has the time to, or wants to, make up for poor customer service with your own efforts, then it might be best to chose another vendor.

momhappy|1389808365|3593382 said:
No, probably not if the issue was resolved and I felt that I would shop with them again. I would, however, leave a positive review, but then elaborate on how I was not 100% satisfied (some review systems allow you to post not only positive/negative, but also allow you to leave commentary on your experience).

That is an interesting half-way point--I'll definitely keep it in mind!

ame|1389808882|3593388 said:

I just hate the idea of a shit storm. I know just what you mean.

SB621|1389810869|3593411 said:
I have written 1 semi luke warm review on a vendor. However in general I don't recommend it. I have seen too many people get slammed on PS by other members defending their 'chosen ones' (aka vendors). Just not worth the drama which is sad as being a prosumer forum you should feel safe to write about your experience.

Definitely not interested in getting slammed.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

Laila619|1389826817|3593595 said:

A lot of times it's not that simple, and there are murky gray areas where the vendor is acting questionably.

Of course, Laila. I'd agree with that, but my examples above weren't meant to be the full and completely list but merely examples of things I find reasonable and thing that I find less reasonable.

I''m saying that there are times when posters seem really reasonable and stick to the facts without trying to go all scorched earth, and I find myself putting a good deal of stock in their experiences. I've seen many times, though, when people are being what I consider pretty unreasonable, and that's also when I notice more posters piping in to support a vendor they feel isn't being held to a reasonable standard. That's all.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock

I'll be honest, when I'm purchasing anything, be it a $5 screen protector for my phone or a multi-thousand dollar purchase, the only reviews/feedback that matter to me are the negative and neutral ones. I'm glad to see that there are X000 happy campers, and they have 99% positive feedback, but I want to know what my worst case scenario will likely look like. If I had an experience that legitimately warranted a neutral or negative review, I would wait a few days to cool down and look at things a bit more objectively, and then review away.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

crown1|1389811227|3593418 said:

Right. I guess it is up to me to find it 'hurtful' so you are totally right about it. Its just a matter of perspective.

ruby59|1389812365|3593432 said:

Yep. It did raise a red flag. I try to give a vendor as much leeway as possible. I understand any variation of 'shit happens' to 'miscommunication over email' so I definitely tried my best to let it go.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

IndyLady,

Why are you worried that if you write a neutral review on this vendor, you won't be able to shop with them again? If anything, I think they'd bend over backward to give you better service with the next purchase.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results