shape
carat
color
clarity

Worth it to downgrade size in order to get ACAs? Thoughts appreciated.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
As some of you might know I put my existing studs on the market for sale, but I know how tough it can be to sell to an individual when the price tag is high. I have 3 ctw diamond studs that are GIA SI2 and I in color; one is triple x and one is xx VG. Anyway I have also asked a couple of local jewelers what they might offer me. For their offer I could probably use those funds to get 2ctw ACAs (and I would still have to put forth some $$ on my own). I have never seen these types of super ideals irl, and I was wanting your input. Are the ACAs so mind-blowing that it would be worth it to go down that much in size? I had 2ctw for years and loved them, but I definitely love the bigger presence of the 3 ctw on my ears especially since I have large lobes.

If I did get more for them than what the jeweler is offering me and I went 3 ctw, I would have to go down from an I to a K in color. That also concerns me a bit, but not too bad because I am not color sensitive.

Finally, I remember @mrs-b saying you can do the work to find GIAs that fit the proportions of ideals and thus they are unbranded and cost less. Was wondering how significant of a savings (10%? more?) this might be. I like the idea of just knowing that ACA will fit the bill, especially with the generous upgrade policy WF has. So anyway just a bit all over the place at the moment!!!

For reference I am attaching a pic of my GIA reports (edit; the image is coming out small; GIA numbers are 2366389729 and 6341591695)
so you can see what they are like and how they might compare to ACA or equivalent; also I am posting a pic (can't find a really good one and not wanting to take a new one asap) of my earrings in my ears to show the presence of 3 ctw on ear.

Thanks everyone!!

BA459B40-B6DA-4863-A1BA-1DCF7A5E4707.jpeg IMG_2009.jpg

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This is a good topic. Similarly, I had the same dilemma, I still don't have a solution yet, but I am putting it aside until I decide what I want. I too have a similar pair of 3ctw studs, I - color as well, each is 1.5 ct, I VS and SI (GIA XXX). I thought of selling them and put the money into an ACA, I am not color sensitive, so I would have no problem going to a K - visually. However, in my mind, I just cannot get pass the thought of getting the same size, and much warmer color, even though my eyes won't be able to tell. Also, DDS has already kicked in and I "NEED" a 4ctw size now..... so ACA is no longer an affordable option. In other words, it's not an option for me to go from a 3ctw to 2ctw, though owning an ACA will be so dreamy.

Secondly, having a super ideal earrings is not as important to me as having a super ideal ring. I don't have any ACA, CBI, BG, etc, so if I get to have this luxury, my first priority would be to own a super ideal ring rather than earrings.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I would not take the resale and size hit to get ACA studs. You can't see the studs when you are wearing them to fully appreciate the ideal cut! Also, I feel cut and clarity matter less for earrings because they are harder to see and often behind ears, etc. Enjoy the studs you already have!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I could write a book about my personal journey, but in the end I am glad I finally went for the super ideal for an MRB. I started this trip in 2012, when I knew nothing and really didn't think I would be able to see the difference. And if I did I didn't think it would be worth the money. Having owned a GIA 3x for 3-4 years, I started noticing the difference after 9 months. It just bugged me more and more over time. From PS, I KNEW that better existed, but how much better? I still wasn't ready to "invest" in a super ideal, fell for old cuts, which is a whole different story. But it got so bad I just had to get rid of my GIA 3X.

Later I had a chance to spend a lot of time with an AGS 000, which was an amazing stone. Loved it. Super fiery and just a stunner. I could still see something in the stone that wasn't perfect but strangely it didn't bother me. Unfortunately that stone was not mine and I decided to go on the hunt for myself.

This was 8 years after I first started on my diamond journey. Even though I had never seen a colorless over 2 carat super ideal, I had tried enough non-super ideals that didn't fit the bill. So I ordered one after another to find "the" one. And now after having worn my 2.47 ACA E, VS1, I can say with confidence that it outshines my old GIA 3x by a mile, and even out performs the AGS 000 that I loved. I don't regret it. Honestly, I still chastise myself for not having done this sooner and saved a xxxxload of money. Sigh... And yes, I went down in size b/c my OEC is 3 carats and my original GIA 3x was 2.59. The OEC isn't exactly a fair comparison because that is really more of a branching and expanding of interests. They are so different that it's like comparing apples and oranges. But I was used to looking at a 3 carat on my hand. Now I'm looking at a 2.47. But I threw that badboy in a 3 stone, and that horizontal finger coverage with big side stones is keeping DSS at bay.

Every time I look at my finger I am AMAZED at this stone. Honestly though, I'm not much of a compromising person, and I'm pretty black and white so I shoulda known I would be this anal and notice these little differences and would end up needing a super ideal cut. Everyone's different. I get it. In the end, it just depends on you and what you need.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
This is a good topic. Similarly, I had the same dilemma, I still don't have a solution yet, but I am putting it aside until I decide what I want. I too have a similar pair of 3ctw studs, I - color as well, each is 1.5 ct, I VS and SI (GIA XXX). I thought of selling them and put the money into an ACA, I am not color sensitive, so I would have no problem going to a K - visually. However, in my mind, I just cannot get pass the thought of getting the same size, and much warmer color, even though my eyes won't be able to tell. Also, DDS has already kicked in and I "NEED" a 4ctw size now..... so ACA is no longer an affordable option. In other words, it's not an option for me to go from a 3ctw to 2ctw, though owning an ACA will be so dreamy.

Secondly, having a super ideal earrings is not as important to me as having a super ideal ring. I don't have any ACA, CBI, BG, etc, so if I get to have this luxury, my first priority would be to own a super ideal ring rather than earrings.

All good points and yes 4 ctw is my hg size too haha but that won't happen until a VERY long time if ever. For ring, I'm mainly an OEC fan so prefer old cuts for diamonds in general. I even though of old cuts for earrings and I'm still contemplating but the sparkle factor for ears makes me lean toward ACA...

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
So I could write a book about my personal journey, but in the end I am glad I finally went for the super ideal for an MRB. I started this trip in 2012, when I knew nothing and really didn't think I would be able to see the difference. And if I did I didn't think it would be worth the money. Having owned a GIA 3x for 3-4 years, I started noticing the difference after 9 months. It just bugged me more and more over time. From PS, I KNEW that better existed, but how much better? I still wasn't ready to "invest" in a super ideal, fell for old cuts, which is a whole different story. But it got so bad I just had to get rid of my GIA 3X.

Later I had a chance to spend a lot of time with an AGS 000, which was an amazing stone. Loved it. Super fiery and just a stunner. I could still see something in the stone that wasn't perfect but strangely it didn't bother me. Unfortunately that stone was not mine and I decided to go on the hunt for myself.

This was 8 years after I first started on my diamond journey. Even though I had never seen a colorless over 2 carat super ideal, I had tried enough non-super ideals that didn't fit the bill. So I ordered one after another to find "the" one. And now after having worn my 2.47 ACA E, VS1, I can say with confidence that it outshines my old GIA 3x by a mile, and even out performs the AGS 000 that I loved. I don't regret it. Honestly, I still chastise myself for not having done this sooner and saved a xxxxload of money. Sigh... And yes, I went down in size b/c my OEC is 3 carats and my original GIA 3x was 2.59. The OEC isn't exactly a fair comparison because that is really more of a branching and expanding of interests. They are so different that it's like comparing apples and oranges. But I was used to looking at a 3 carat on my hand. Now I'm looking at a 2.47. But I threw that badboy in a 3 stone, and that horizontal finger coverage with big side stones is keeping DSS at bay.

Every time I look at my finger I am AMAZED at this stone. Honestly though, I'm not much of a compromising person, and I'm pretty black and white so I shoulda known I would be this anal and notice these little differences and would end up needing a super ideal cut. Everyone's different. I get it. In the end, it just depends on you and what you need.

Yes I remember reading about your journey and your AMAZING stones - that three stone - wow!!! And yeah I hate thinking about the wasted $$ I'm actually annoyed at myself because I upgraded from 2 to 3 ct in Nov 2020 and I had posted a bit on PS but not a ton and then about a month later I really started reading. I just wish I had read up on it before upgrading but you can't turn back time!! I know that this is in regard to your ring; do you have earrings as well and are they ACA?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I would not take the resale and size hit to get ACA studs. You can't see the studs when you are wearing them to fully appreciate the ideal cut! Also, I feel cut and clarity matter less for earrings because they are harder to see and often behind ears, etc. Enjoy the studs you already have!

Fair point and I am struggling with this too - I stare at my ring all day long but don't "see" my earrings unless I'm looking in a mirror. I'm still seduced though...

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I remember reading about your journey and your AMAZING stones - that three stone - wow!!! And yeah I hate thinking about the wasted $$ I'm actually annoyed at myself because I upgraded from 2 to 3 ct in Nov 2020 and I had posted a bit on PS but not a ton and then about a month later I really started reading. I just wish I had read up on it before upgrading but you can't turn back time!! I know that this is in regard to your ring; do you have earrings as well and are they ACA?

My side stones are not ACAs. One is my old e-ring, which I am keeping in my 3 stone for sentimental reasons. The other is an expert selection from WF. These previously were my studs. I no longer have any studs, and do not miss them. Maybe some day in the future, 4-5 years down the line? I wore nothing but studs for 4 years so maybe I'm sick of them. But I also feel weird having a bunch circles on me. 3 stone e-ring. Usually AVR diamond pendant. I need something to break it up and it's usually my earrings and bracelets which are mainly VCA or Cartier.

If I got earrings again, I would start small with ACAs. Maybe under 1 carat each and bezel them. Then I get the size without paying a big price. I can't see myself wearing big studs anymore because my ring is big enough. I try to wear only one statement piece on my person at a time, and these days this ering kinda screams, more so than my OEC. Then after 3-4 years after I'm bored or want something bigger, I can upgrade.

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Mreader looky what I found!

Ok, not to sidetrack anyone, but if you want your hg 4+ carat diamond ACA (Whiteflash) then take a look here!:kiss2:

but it is a J colored..I be okay with that…humm should ask hubby about this…but then I can’t retire for awhile…

-C4C
PS. It’s offered at $45k and you can make an offer. It’s not selling for $100k…
(edit to include actual price/offer)

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

Ok, not to sidetrack anyone, but if you want your hg 4+ carat diamond ACA (Whiteflash) then take a look here!:kiss2:

but it is a J colored..I be okay with that…humm should ask hubby about this…but then I can’t retire for awhile…

-C4C

Ha! Well what I meant was 4ctw would be my HG earring studs not my ring; but hey I wouldn't refuse!!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

-C4C

Wow, whoever is seeing this is counting on the buyer NOT looking at the WF website! $100,000? What tosh!

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, whoever is seeing this is counting on the buyer NOT looking at the WF website! $100,000? What tosh!

Whoopsie @mrs-b, forgot to say the WF stone above is offered at $45k or you can make a best offer….

-C4C

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
One more thought why I haven't pull the plug for an ACA earrings, it is because with ring, it is easier to keep clean, you can easily take it off to clean and put it back on without touching the surface of the diamond, but with studs, you will have to touch the stones all over the place when putting them on, leaving oily finger prints. I personally have bad habits of touching ears all the time. You will need to religiously clean your studs all the time, and the hassle just wasn't worth it for me.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
One more thought why I haven't pull the plug for an ACA earrings, it is because with ring, it is easier to keep clean, you can easily take it off to clean and put it back on without touching the surface of the diamond, but with studs, you will have to touch the stones all over the place when putting them on, leaving oily finger prints. I personally have bad habits of touching ears all the time. You will need to religiously clean your studs all the time, and the hassle just wasn't worth it for me.

I use a little polishing cloth when I remove and put on my earrings but honestly that’s another reason I’m tempted by ACA I figured they would be more likely to shine through the dirt!

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
@Mreader this is tough! I would say it is only worth it if you plan to have enough funds to upgrade to the 3ctw size in ACAs in the future. Your current studs are a great size on you, and I feel like with studs the size matters hugely! While the sparkle and fire on your ACAs will obviously be incredible, I worry a lot about downgrading in size, especially since you are already used to a 3ctw pair.

I've been struggling with this myself; I have 2.27 ctw super ideals from Brian Gavin (G color, eye clean SI1 and SI2), and I am kind of regretting going for super ideals instead of well-cut but bigger non-branded stones. To go from 1.1 ct each to 1.5-1.6 ct each is going to cost more than twice what I already paid for my current pair, and I don't know if I can convince my husband to let me spend that much, and I honestly would rather not have that much of my bling money tied up in just one item. (And I also don't even know how feasible an upgrade is for me, as Brian Gavin doesn't have anything in their inventory that would work. I found a pair of Whiteflash ACAs that would be perfect, but I contacted Whiteflash and they aren't interested in making an offer for me to trade in my current stones. So I'm not sure what options I have, other than to sell at a loss and then start over again, ugh)

Anyway, good luck with your decision and sale of your current pair!! I know this can just be a really stressful process.

I don’t know how valuable my perspective on this is, as someone who doesn’t own any super ideals and does not plan to ever fork out the premium, but personally, as someone with gigantic elephantine earlobes, size >>> anything else for earrings.

So much of it will depend on what you value. I recently had the opportunity to see a super ideal (I won’t mention which company) in person, and yes, it was a GORGEOUS stone, but very honestly, I walked away more resolved that I wouldn’t personally want to pay that premium. That’s a personal choice ofc, a lot of people wouldn’t agree with me. In this case, the ring-wearer told another friend who is popping the question soon, that in her opinion as well, the size differential would’ve been preferable and she kind of wished her fiancé had thought to maximise size a bit even at the expense of the perfect cut. And that was for a ring, and she had no frame of reference for a 1ct or a 1.5ct on her hand.

You however, do. You’ve worn 3ctw for a long time, you have an idea of how they look in your ears and what kind of presence they command. You might find that the sublime cut blows you away, but imo the nuances of cut are difficult/near impossible to distinguish in your ears. If it was a question of purely a difference in colour, and you just had to go down in colour to get the same size, I’d say that super ideals are def an option because colour is also difficult to distinguish on the ear. But since there’s a significant size difference…

Why are you trying to sell your earrings btw?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
For what it's worth, IMO the biggest difference in a super ideal and a well cut stone is the scintillation (sparkle) when the stone is moving. If the stone is stationary, it looks pretty similar. Fire and light return are similar. But this all differs depending on the comparison stone too.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Garry said some interesting things about shallow stones being brighter and better for earrings on your other thread. If it were me, I would keep my current studs and use the money I was going to use to upgrade to ACAs to buy some old cuts studs;-). Like these (not these specific ones just posting them as an example):

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t own any super ideal cut stones so can’t speak to that aspect however size definitely matters with studs IMO. As they are farther away close inspection doesn’t happen. As a person who wears 3.4 carat studs in first hole primarily I know I could never go back to smaller 2 carats for daily wear. I had this size prior. They are going to seem too small especially as your accustomed to the larger studs. I have two additional pairs of studs that I rotate and I never keep smaller studs in my first hole long. They just feel small. Honestly I could stand to go up to 5 carat studs but my coin prevents it.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
You however, do. You’ve worn 3ctw for a long time, you have an idea of how they look in your ears and what kind of presence they command. You might find that the sublime cut blows you away, but imo the nuances of cut are difficult/near impossible to distinguish in your ears. If it was a question of purely a difference in colour, and you just had to go down in colour to get the same size, I’d say that super ideals are def an option because colour is also difficult to distinguish on the ear. But since there’s a significant size difference…

Why are you trying to sell your earrings btw?

Thank you for your thoughts @AllAboardTheBlingTrain - and to answer your question about why I am trying to sell mine it is because if I can get closer to 15k then I can get some WF of the same size for that price. They currently have a pair of ACA in K color so I would be going down two grades of color from my current pair, but not sacrificing price and being out less $. If I could get that for my current pair I would go for it. But if I cannot and can only pull about 10k for current pair (what jeweler has offered) then that is why I was wondering about downgrading size.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
We’re you happy with your studs before you came to Pricescope? An unfortunate side effect of this lovely forum is that it can make you feel some of your jewellery is not up to scratch! I know, it has happened to me.

Garry’s post might be helpful,

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...d-pendant-budget-us-1-200.267668/post-5001102

I was happy with them but funny enough they seemed to sparkle less than the 2ctw pair that I had (and those were uncerted); but I thought that bigger studs sometimes had a bright appearance perhaps. And yes it's true that when you join PS and read you start to overanalyze what your currently have.

I have looked at that chart repeatedly and I guess my brain doesn't work mathematically because I still cannot figure out if my current stones meet the parameters. Also his chart seems to say that earrings should have LESS fire? I think? And when I try to read my numbers it seems some fall within the earring category and others within the ring...maybe someone could look at my numbers and help me interpret. I would love that! I will say that are 2 something on HCA and everyone says below 2 is best.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Garry said some interesting things about shallow stones being brighter and better for earrings on your other thread. If it were me, I would keep my current studs and use the money I was going to use to upgrade to ACAs to buy some old cuts studs;-). Like these (not these specific ones just posting them as an example):

Those are pretty but those measurements - so small! Bc of cut. Also I wouldn't want to put 13k extra into the project. If I sold my current ones for the price I hope to, then I wouldn't have to put much extra in.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@SandyK I went back and read over some of your threads about studs. I think you made the right decision bc you got super ideals and also with someone with a good upgrade program. So even though they aren't as large as you want, hopefully you can upgrade in the future :)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can only speak for myself here, but yes, I'd get them. I'd get them at a smaller size, then work on upgrading them as time passed. I probably wouldn't get them if going to ACAs meant I'd be locked into a smaller size than I wanted interminably.

But I enjoy long term projects like that, so I'd enjoy each new iteration. This isn't to everyone's taste, tho, so might not work for you.

Something I've never understood is the fascination with plain solitaire studs. Visually, I think almost anything is more interesting to look at on the ear, so I'd be doing clusters (which is what I did, and continue to do!), or drops, or halos, or bezels, or something! When my studs are redone this year, they'll be over 5ctw and very substantial on even the biggest lobes (mine are huge) - but will cost me a fraction of the price of what they'd cost if solitaire studs. I have top flight diamonds in them (colorless, ideal cut, eye clean), but even so - they'll be a bargain for the impact they make!

So were it me, I'd go the ACA route and either upgrade over time, or switch up the design for way more impact.

Good luck!

ETA - the solitaire stud thing is a taste issue and there is no right or wrong on that. They do look awesome on some people. They do look complete rubbish on me.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Simple solitaire studs are my all time favorite go-to earrings. I have double piercings and have had diamond studs in all holes for 15 years straight. 365/7/24. (We can debate on if this is smart or not forever but that’s not my point).

For me, diamond stud earrings are my holy grail piece that I wear and feel instantly put together. I would rather go bra-less in public than stud-less. Weird, I know.

How important are studs to you? I can’t imagine owning 3ctw because I’m young and somewhat broke now. But if I DID, holy moly that would be awesome. I wouldn’t want to downsize at all. Especially since earrings are so hard to keep clean. For me for earrings, size is king. Especially since you have such nice specs on your studs now!

I guess if it were me, I would keep the 3ctw until I could upgrade to an identical pair of ACAs where I wouldn’t downgrade on anything. Keep (or upgrade) the size, color, clarity. But that’s just me :) you do whatever is going to make you happy!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@mrs-b I LOVE your clusters; I have seen those before on other threads. I do love a good cluster and halo, but I just love the classic look of simple studs :) I also am fortunate enough to have some amazing earrings that are yellow diamonds w halos:

IMG_2635.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b I LOVE your clusters; I have seen those before on other threads. I do love a good cluster and halo, but I just love the classic look of simple studs :) I also am fortunate enough to have some amazing earrings that are yellow diamonds w halos:

IMG_2635.jpg

They are sublime!

Just gorgeous! And the yellow with the white is everything!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I guess if it were me, I would keep the 3ctw until I could upgrade to an identical pair of ACAs where I wouldn’t downgrade on anything. Keep (or upgrade) the size, color, clarity. But that’s just me :) you do whatever is going to make you happy!

I guess I still have some thinking to do; in the meantime I will keep my current pair up for sale and perhaps see some other jewelers. If I kept the same size I would really have to change color bc I just don't forsee spending 30k on earrings which is what it would be if I kept the same size AND color. This is largely because most of their ACAs have amazing clarity too. My clarity is SI2 and most ACA that I have seen are in the VS category which really ups the cost.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Also for reference: my current studs (pic 1), 8.5 mm (HG size - these are czs - pic 2) and pic 3 was my 2ctw and was the only pic I could find that showed them ok bc for some reason I never took deliberate pics with my original 2 ct studs :confused:

Sometimes it seems the 3 ctw aren't noticably bigger than the 2 ctw but I wonder if the settings have to do with it (2 ctw were in baskets; 3 ctw martini where they lay flatter - I read martinis show more diamond). Bc of that, that is why I thought about going back to 2 ctw if I went for ACA. But again still thinking...

IMG_2640.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg

IMG_7602.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results