shape
carat
color
clarity

Working on a tanzanite ring..

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your latest drawings! The tapered pave shoulders really accentuate the Cadillac shaped side stones. It’s going to be amazing!
Thank you! I think the tapered shoulders made a big difference. It feels more fluid now. :mrgreen:

I love @lovedogs suggestion
Here’s mine
4AE0DE19-D803-40BF-96D7-2694B1062B55.jpeg
But with a smoother curve than my cut n’ paste hack job :)
Thank you! It’s that big void under the sides that was bothering me so much. I definitely need to add to that area. :D

MY DW is super sensitive to this, so do you think the lowest diamond on each side of the shank will rub between your fingers?
Nope. My fingers have already been conditioned to feeling the diamond rub. :lol:

So I see I'm not the first to suggest it but yes to some filigree under the cadillacs!
Screenshot_20210831-203738_Gallery.jpg

Big thanks to you and @lovedogs for the profile suggestions. The extra filigree is exactly what I need. :kiss2:

voce

Ideal_Rock
I'd just do the single prongs, maybe tabs. Wouldn't want to cover up the concave cut too much!

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
I agree with voce on the single prongs. Because the concave facets are special I would keep the prongs as inconspicuous as possible.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd just do the single prongs, maybe tabs. Wouldn't want to cover up the concave cut too much!
Thanks, Voce. I appreciate the advice and love your reasoning. I’ll be keeping it as single prongs. :mrgreen:

It’s going to be so beautiful! That stone is electric!
Thank you! It really is such a neat stone. I absolutely love that concave cutting! :D

I agree with voce on the single prongs. Because the concave facets are special I would keep the prongs as inconspicuous as possible.
Thank you. I appreciate all the good advice. Single prong it is. :mrgreen:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
New Cad (#4). What do you think of the changes.

And a question. It looks like the side stones are regular prongs (vs claw prongs). Should I have claw prongs for everything so it matches? Or are standard prongs better for side stones?

394D1C12-AF3E-49D2-90D2-5D0452F8AFC7.jpeg

Does it look like the top of the shank is a tiny bit wider than before? I can’t quite tell. Maybe it’s just because the bottom of the shank is wider so it had to get a bit thicker.

I‘m also considering raising the ring height just a tiny bit. It would give the shoulders a bit more of a swoop up. Just spitballing here. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
@elle_71125 I can't tell if the top of the shank is wider than before, and I think you should have the ring height set too what is most comfortable for you. My two cents are that I wouldn't want too much of a swoop if it would show tilt windows in the Cadillac cuts, and I suggest getting a style of prongs that matches the pave style on the shank. Side stones are side stones and are supposed to take back stage, so no need to match the claw style prongs of the center stone.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elle_71125 I can't tell if the top of the shank is wider than before, and I think you should have the ring height set too what is most comfortable for you. My two cents are that I wouldn't want too much of a swoop if it would show tilt windows in the Cadillac cuts, and I suggest getting a style of prongs that matches the pave style on the shank. Side stones are side stones and are supposed to take back stage, so no need to match the claw style prongs of the center stone.

Thanks, Voce. I asked DK for a plastic so I can get a sense of the height in person. :mrgreen:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve had a couple more CADs done. Here’s the newest one. DK had to raise the height up, as the tanzanite was deeper than expected. Honestly, I like the height so that’s not a problem.

My question lies with the side stones. I don’t do many projects with sides so I’m not sure what the proper tilt angles are. Also, @voce brought up tilt windows in the cadillac sides so that comes into play as well.

6BB73630-0926-44CF-9BFC-4BDDB01F0FB0.jpeg

I tried modifying the tilt angle on the left side stone (so it faces up a bit more). Is this a necessary change? I don’t know. Any thoughts?
I think I’ll have to reach out to DK about the tilt window issue, since he has my stones.
64E0EE1F-D409-4743-AB96-C3957A0816B9.jpeg

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Elle i love the process and am learning so much!

This isn't specific to your project but seeing the CAD and wax got me wondering. The CAD (pre wax) makes the gallery look delicate and thin but the wax is a little chunkier. Which one do you normally see with the finished project? I realize the CAD is just a picture and the wax is something to be cast from so I wasn't sure which one the finished product would resemble more

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elle i love the process and am learning so much!

This isn't specific to your project but seeing the CAD and wax got me wondering. The CAD (pre wax) makes the gallery look delicate and thin but the wax is a little chunkier. Which one do you normally see with the finished project? I realize the CAD is just a picture and the wax is something to be cast from so I wasn't sure which one the finished product would resemble more

From what DK has explained to me, the plastic is thicker than the cad & finished product. Also, some of the finer details can be lost in cad (for example, the curls in my cad profile that are half missing in the plastic version. I think the finished product resembles the cad more than the plastic. Still, I tend to keep my plastics. I’ll see if I can grab some comparison pics for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results