shape
carat
color
clarity

Working on a tanzanite ring..

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I‘m happy to be starting a new project with David Klass. This cool concave cut tanzanite was just begging to be set and who am I to say no? I mean, look at those internal fireworks! This is my first concave cut gem and I love it!!

853147B1-E7E4-4753-A73A-882CEBA6806F.jpeg

FB42458C-4754-4E1A-AF35-38B42CEE21F7.jpeg CF066425-4741-4A94-BF07-6B59D9773850.jpeg DEE5B009-A030-45A4-A484-0DBCB58E1C39.jpeg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I made a mock up to show you all what I’m aiming for. I have two small cadillac sides that I plan to use for it.

27BBCA65-1271-44BA-A714-084406F88BF7.jpeg

This was my first cad. I asked for the halo around the side stones to be removed. I also felt like the center stones halo was a little too big so I asked for the diamonds to be a little smaller.
AED16DEE-BFC9-459D-976B-41F34C183FC2.jpeg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s my second cad. I hate to admit it but…now I think the diamonds in the halo may be too small. :doh:

CBCD3AC3-74E2-4835-844E-2D93D805666F.jpeg

I haven’t submitted any changes yet because I’m stuck on a couple elements of the design. I‘m not in love with the profile view. Also, I don’t care for the way the shoulders connect at the side stones.

I like the way these shoulders taper so it’s not a blunt edge connecting to the side stones. However, I’m not sure if this shape would work with diamonds running down the side. And you know, I love my bling so I’m not sure I want to give that up. :lol:

F1B97833-DC20-44F8-A832-356A4FD9D425.jpeg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Random bling p*rn to aid in my journey. :kiss2:
I like the swirly profile design on the top right ring. I think I would need to raise my ring height a little to make it work properly.

B658CFB1-39A4-4B4A-8AFF-031F4E97E7D0.jpeg

A4610CDC-B1AB-4C7D-B045-059AEF460FCD.jpeg

So, you can see I’m rather stuck on the profile design. I’m used to working on galleries for halos, not three stones. I’d love to see more profile designs, if you guys want to share.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Damn! I came here to make some snarky comment about how you "might want to halo it" but I see you're a few steps ahead of me. :lol-2:

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
That is a very beautiful stone! I look forward to seeing the finished product!! (I am not good at visualizing, even with CADs, so I can't help with suggestions.)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the reason why the people isnt super appealing right now is that the overall angle of the side stones is too flat. I think the side stones need to be more angled downwards similar to the ring in the bottom left of your inspo.

In the previous CAD, the side stones were at a sharper angle (which I prefer).

I think if you combined the angle of the side stones from CAD 1 with the new galley in CAD 2 it would be lovely.

IMHO I prefer the smaller halo stones bc it will allow the concave center to be the "star" of the show.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
That’s awesome!! Can’t wait to see what you do!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a fabulous stone, the ring is going to be gorgeous!

It does seem there's rather a lot of prongs in that halo. Are pave set diamonds out of the question?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love love love your mock up. But what are Cadillacs? From your picture they look like trapezoids????

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't wait to see this finished, on your hand.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
It’s going to look amazing, like the rest of your fabulous collection

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the design you’re going with! It’s going to look gorgeous with your tanzanite! :kiss2:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Here’s my second cad. I hate to admit it but…now I think the diamonds in the halo may be too small. :doh:

CBCD3AC3-74E2-4835-844E-2D93D805666F.jpeg

I haven’t submitted any changes yet because I’m stuck on a couple elements of the design. I‘m not in love with the profile view. Also, I don’t care for the way the shoulders connect at the side stones.

I like the way these shoulders taper so it’s not a blunt edge connecting to the side stones. However, I’m not sure if this shape would work with diamonds running down the side. And you know, I love my bling so I’m not sure I want to give that up. :lol:

F1B97833-DC20-44F8-A832-356A4FD9D425.jpeg

A couple years ago DandyT had a diamond set by DK and I remember she had that tapered shoulder ...I wish I could find the pics.. but the shoulders were still studded with diamonds, just smaller at the top and getting larger down the shank. It was stunning.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Damn! I came here to make some snarky comment about how you "might want to halo it" but I see you're a few steps ahead of me. :lol-2:
Bahahaha…you know it! Halo hoe all the way. :lol:

That is a very beautiful stone! I look forward to seeing the finished product!! (I am not good at visualizing, even with CADs, so I can't help with suggestions.)
Thank you! I have a hard time visualizing as well so I hear you. :D

That’s awesome!! Can’t wait to see what you do!
Thank you. :mrgreen:

I can't wait to see this finished, on your hand.
Me too! I’d like to skip ahead of all this cad work and just have the finished product. :lol-2:

It’s going to look amazing, like the rest of your fabulous collection
Aw, thank you! You’re so sweet. :kiss2:

I love the design you’re going with! It’s going to look gorgeous with your tanzanite! :kiss2:

Thank you! I can’t wait to see how it turns out. It’s both exciting and nerve racking.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the reason why the people isnt super appealing right now is that the overall angle of the side stones is too flat. I think the side stones need to be more angled downwards similar to the ring in the bottom left of your inspo.

In the previous CAD, the side stones were at a sharper angle (which I prefer).

I think if you combined the angle of the side stones from CAD 1 with the new galley in CAD 2 it would be lovely.

IMHO I prefer the smaller halo stones bc it will allow the concave center to be the "star" of the show.

Thank you! I think you may be right about the angle on the side stones. I prefer a more downward angle too. I do wonder if that will make them appear smaller though (from a face up perspective).

I agree on the smaller halo making the center stone the star of the show. That why I asked for the diamonds to be a little smaller. My concern in cad 2 is how the prongs seem to have taken over. :shock:Not sure I’m loving that part.

Thanks again for your feedback. I’ve been stuck on this cad for like 2 weeks now. Just sitting in limbo. Lol.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a fabulous stone, the ring is going to be gorgeous!

It does seem there's rather a lot of prongs in that halo. Are pave set diamonds out of the question?
Thank you. I don’t mind the prongs in cad 1 (where the diamond halo is larger) but they do seem to take over quite a bit in cad 2. I’m not ruling anything out yet so pave set could be an option.

Love love love your mock up. But what are Cadillacs? From your picture they look like trapezoids????
Thank you! Now I just have to create a setting that looks as close to my mock up as possible. Lol.

The sides are cadillacs. They are the side diamonds in this pic. They look similar to trapezoids but the outside edge comes to a point, instead of being a straight shot. Hope that makes sense.

834A94BE-8D18-4AB1-8A00-77C90927707D.jpeg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple years ago DandyT had a diamond set by DK and I remember she had that tapered shoulder ...I wish I could find the pics.. but the shoulders were still studded with diamonds, just smaller at the top and getting larger down the shank. It was stunning.

Ahh ok found it in her IG account. I guess she put a spess in it and sold it...
Screenshot_20210822-214256_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20210822-214241_Instagram.jpg

I can always count on you to pop in with the perfect thing. This is exactly what I’m looking for! Thank you! :kiss2:

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

David did tapered pave on my three stone ring too. It definitely gives the band a dainty look. For my size 8 ring finger I now realize I like more finger coverage and I wish I would have had the band made the same width at the shoulder. The tapered band would look lovely on your slender hand though.
Here’s what mine looked originally before I had some changes made.

25BC46E6-CDCB-417A-BA2E-91597A5C298A.jpeg

and after I had the side stones switched for green garnets and milgrain added.
B13CA6ED-FF81-45A2-BFE9-4A9A08004788.jpeg

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I can always count on you to pop in with the perfect thing. This is exactly what I’m looking for! Thank you! :kiss2:

Aww.. thanks. Happy to help ;-)
I'm sure the DK team will remember the ring. That's the same ring I modeled my spinel shank from...it gets deliciously rounded and thick at the bottom. :lickout:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
David did tapered pave on my three stone ring too. It definitely gives the band a dainty look. For my size 8 ring finger I now realize I like more finger coverage and I wish I would have had the band made the same width at the shoulder. The tapered band would look lovely on your slender hand though.
Here’s what mine looked originally before I had some changes made.

25BC46E6-CDCB-417A-BA2E-91597A5C298A.jpeg

and after I had the side stones switched for green garnets and milgrain added.
B13CA6ED-FF81-45A2-BFE9-4A9A08004788.jpeg

Ooh, that’s gorgeous! I remember your ring now. Those green garnets really make the whole thing pop! This is definitely the vibe I’m going for on the shank. I like the way it tapers. :kiss2:

Aww.. thanks. Happy to help ;-)
I'm sure the DK team will remember the ring. That's the same ring I modeled my spinel shank from...it gets deliciously rounded and thick at the bottom. :lickout:

Oh man, I love that spinel ring. You did an amazing job on it! :kiss2:
I‘m going to spend some time working on my CADs now that I have a better idea on the shank. Thank you!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's the new cad (Cad# 3).
The following changes were made (in theory. I haven't actually had a chance to sit down with it yet). :mrgreen:
- bumped the halo up to 1.2mm diamonds.
- tapered the shoulders.
- swoop on shoulders.

I'm still at a loss regarding the profile view.
What do you guys think so far?

DK 70759-QUAD-4.jpg

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's the new cad (Cad# 3).
The following changes were made (in theory. I haven't actually had a chance to sit down with it yet). :mrgreen:
- bumped the halo up to 1.2mm diamonds.
- tapered the shoulders.
- swoop on shoulders.

I'm still at a loss regarding the profile view.
What do you guys think so far?

DK 70759-QUAD-4.jpg
Ignore that my drawing skills with a mouse are horrible, but could he try to incorporate some of the swirls from the top right pic in your inspiration above (which I believe is from Shubach's jewelers)?
InkedDK 70759-QUAD-4_LI.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ignore that my drawing skills with a mouse are horrible, but could he try to incorporate some of the swirls from the top right pic in your inspiration above (which I believe is from Shubach's jewelers)?
InkedDK 70759-QUAD-4_LI.jpg

That's a great idea. Thank you! :D

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love your latest drawings! The tapered pave shoulders really accentuate the Cadillac shaped side stones. It’s going to be amazing!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
MY DW is super sensitive to this, so do you think the lowest diamond on each side of the shank will rub between your fingers?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results