carat
color
clarity

Women's March Jan 21, 2017

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1485208046|4118697 said:
by the age of 6 I could tell you the parts of the vagina, and I could tell you about the penis. By the age of 6 I could tell you in detail how a baby was made and where they came from. That was something my mother insisted on for all of her kids. I'm the youngest of 5, 3 boys in between and they knew the same info I did.

So thankfully by the time I had my period, there was no embarrassment. It was a natural part of growing up.

IMO, the human mind makes such things dirty or embarrassing. In and of themselves, they are a part of the human anatomy, normal and natural.

A parent that takes pride to teach their children about anatomy is a beautiful thing.

I wish all parents would teach their kids these things early BEFORE the crazy stuff they might hear in the streets.

THANK YOU. :clap:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1485208445|4118702 said:
by the age of 6 I could tell you the parts of the vagina, and I could tell you about the penis. By the age of 6 I could tell you in detail how a baby was made and where they came from. That was something my mother insisted on for all of her kids. I'm the youngest of 5, 3 boys in between and they knew the same info I did.

So thankfully by the time I had my period, there was no embarrassment. It was a natural part of growing up.

IMO, the human mind makes such things dirty or embarrassing. In and of themselves, they are a part of the human anatomy, normal and natural.

A parent that takes pride to teach their children about anatomy is a beautiful thing.

I wish all parents would teach their kids these things early BEFORE the crazy stuff they might hear in the streets.

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Common sense non hysterical parenting for the win!

+1. Children ask what body parts are called when they are young. Why on earth would you not tell them the correct words?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

We see nothing wrong with nudity in our house and we talk about it openly.
I was just not a fan of the vagina costumes, that's all. I actually saw a picture of a woman in a vagina costume and there was a young-ish boy standing next to her with a confused look on his face. I think that some of the things (signs, costumes, etc.) at the marches were more appropriate for adults, but I would support a parent's right to choose what they deem appropriate/inappropriate for their children.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Calliecake|1485208988|4118707 said:

+1. Children ask what body parts are called when they are young. Why on earth would you not tell them the correct words?

Cavalier attitude to have since children are so different. What might work for yours, might not work for mine. Some children are a bit slower to develop and understand.

And by what mom said about that young boy looking confused, it was obviously not working there.

Ok, so your child knows what a vagina is?

Now how do you explain to them why a bunch of women are dressed as one?

Do you explain the P word and all that Trump has done in his past to a 6 year old.

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
momhappy|1485207382|4118689 said:
No, I'm talking about women actually wearing giant vagina costumes. Google it. I'm guessing it wasn't a common thing, but I did see several pictures, so it certainly caught my attention.

I marched in DC and while I clearly didn't see all 500,000 attendees I say only 3 vulva/vaginas costumes. Though I am not surprised the media features them. I estimated half of the signs were about human rights/ woman's rights, peace and Inclusion. Perhaps 25% were about woman making decisions about their own bodies including reproductive decisions and decision when to engage in sex. They rear were trump- specific.

To be honest, initially I was not sure about the pink hats and I was a bit shocked to see the vag costumes but I quicky wished these topics were destigmized in my youth

ETA I respect every woman's decision about attending the parade and when and how to engage their children in discussions about their bodies. I am not blessed with children but spent a lot of time trying and also thinking about how I would like to raise my child. if I saw the media coverage I might not have wanted to take my child there. But in hindsight after participating in DC I would loved to take my child of any gender or age to the march and open a dialog with them. Just my opinion

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Sungura|1485209634|4118710 said:
momhappy|1485207382|4118689 said:
No, I'm talking about women actually wearing giant vagina costumes. Google it. I'm guessing it wasn't a common thing, but I did see several pictures, so it certainly caught my attention.

I marched in DC and while I clearly didn't see all 500,000 attendees I say only 3 vulva/vaginas costumes. Though I am not surprised the media features them. I estimated half of the signs were about human rights/ woman's rights, peace and Inclusion. Perhaps 25% were about woman making decisions about their own bodies including reproductive decisions and decision when to engage in sex. They rear were trump- specific.

To be honest, initially I was not sure about the pink hats and I was a bit shocked to see the vag costumes but I quicky wished these topics were destigmized in my youth.

Yes, Sungura, I actually thought that the costumes were probably not what the majority of women were wearing. In most of pictures I saw, I only saw a handful of costumes. I thought the march could have done without all of the p*ssy stuff (hats, etc.), but I understand that's why many of them were marching in the first place. It's not a word that I care to use, but to each their own.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1485209308|4118709 said:
Cavalier attitude to have since children are so different. What might work for yours, might not work for mine. Some children are a bit slower to develop and understand.

Yes, thank you! You made the right decision for you and your family! But yet you take on board the opinion of 3 major news networks as to whether people should make decisions best for their families about taking children to a protest. Who cares what they think, the same you didn't care when deciding for yours.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Rhea|1485210396|4118716 said:

Yes, thank you! You made the right decision for you and your family! But yet you take on board the opinion of 3 major news networks as to whether people should make decisions best for their families about taking children to a protest. Who cares what they think, the same you didn't care when deciding for yours.

As a young mother, we did not have the Internet yet.

So I relied on baby books. I had them all.

I liked to read all opinions on a matter and then decide. So why are you so afraid if the news channels and I have a different one then yours.

As far as not caring, I took all the advice I read and applied it as needed or not.

I never said mine was right. Nor is yours wrong. It is just another opinion.

common sense non hysterical parenting for the win! Just as this is an opinion. All those clapping hands do not make it fact, either.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ruby, Can I ask how old you are? I'm just curious.

My parents handled this the same way Arcadian's did. We were told what the parts of our bodies were called as soon as we asked the question.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mine too! My parents started with an anatomy book and facts at age 5. We sat down a few times a year and progressed more and more, from proper names for body parts through to reproduction and sex. Some of my friends only had playground education from other children and abstinence only sex by adults at school.

There is a not so funny video a couple years ago of adults trying to draw and name parts of a woman's anatomy. Makes me sad. www.google.co.uk/amp/s/m.mic.com/articles/amp/106974/we-asked-men-to-draw-vaginas-to-prove-an-important-point?client=ms-android-om-lge

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
momhappy|1485205938|4118671 said:
No marching for me - shocker :lol: ;-)
I was not a fan of the women who dressed up like vaginas (I felt it took away credibility, respect, etc.), but I support the right to march, to speak freely, etc.

There were ladies dressed as vaginas?! That sounds amazing - any pics? I didn't see a single vag in Seattle, I feel let down now...

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Erica, Ruby posted a link of someone in a vagina costume on page 4 of this thread.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1485212394|4118739 said:
Erica, Ruby posted a link of someone in a vagina costume on page 4 of this thread.

I love those pics. Love the costumes. Love the strong, nasty woman of the US (and the world!) coming together to send a message. I think it's freaking fantastic, and I'm proud of everyone involved (no matter what they wore to the event).

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
I also didn't see any vag costumes. But for anyone who is worried their child might have missed out, maybe they could just google up some pictures of the new FLOTUS's?

ETA: not that I care about her pictures, but I do think pearl clutching over some extremely non-sexual vagina costumes is a bit rich, considering.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Calliecake|1485212394|4118739 said:

Just saw that, thank you! I saw a couple of those going around FB by conservative acquaintances as representative of the marches, lol. I guess that's all they have to"grab" onto..haha see what I did there?

No vaginas that I could see in my section of the march, but my kid has a vagina so it would be fairly easy to explain lol. Nothing tricky about it.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
lovedogs|1485212733|4118741 said:
I love those pics. Love the costumes. Love the strong, nasty woman of the US (and the world!) coming together to send a message. I think it's freaking fantastic, and I'm proud of everyone involved (no matter what they wore to the event).

Hear, hear!! It was really something special!!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
jaaron|1485212768|4118742 said:
I also didn't see any vag costumes. But for anyone who is worried their child might have missed out, maybe they could just google up some pictures of the new FLOTUS's?

ETA: not that I care about her pictures, but I do think pearl clutching over some extremely non-sexual vagina costumes is a bit rich, considering.

Now that is a good point... :think:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1485210910|4118720 said:
Rhea|1485210396|4118716 said:

As a young mother, we did not have the Internet yet.

So I relied on baby books. I had them all.

I liked to read all opinions on a matter and then decide. So why are you so afraid if the news channels and I have a different one then yours.

As far as not caring, I took all the advice I read and applied it as needed or not.

I never said mine was right. Nor is yours wrong. It is just another opinion.

common sense non hysterical parenting for the win! Just as this is an opinion. All those clapping hands do not make it fact, either.

I'm not afraid, Ruby. I never said I was. I never said what I would or would not do regarding taking my children to protests or marches on this thread or I believe anywhere else on the internet. You've made it clear through several posts, quoted below, that you have concerns about others decisions. Yet you read everything you could and made a decision what was best for your own family. You can't have it both ways. You wanting to make your own decision about what was right for your family but questioning others ability to do the same for theirs.

ruby59|1485114628|4118133 said:
I saw some of the signs. Also the magnitude of the crowd. Besides the obvious if something happened, and how would you safely protect your children in that crowd - Does anyone else think, this was not a place to bring your children?

ruby59|1485116094|4118141 said:
As to the children, no matter how strongly you feel about attending that march, once you are a mother, your children come first.
It would be a long day for a young child in tow, they get hungry, tired, have to go to the bathroom.

But I am also referring to older children, those who are of reading age. I would hate to be caught between marchers with very explicit signs and have my children forced to look at them for the greater part of the day.

ruby59|1485139102|4118324 said:
I will speak up when I have questions and concerns.

If you find it offensive, then know I do as well when I see young children thrust into adult situations that they are too young for.

And I can certainly show concern when I think of young children in a crowd of people where one small incident could cause them to be hurt or separated from their parents.

All of you in the other thread agreed that Trump supporters should deal or move on if they read something they do not like. You are free to do the same.

Keep it on track - you mean only say positive things about the March.

ruby59|1485148719|4118400 said:
And what would have happened had it turned violent?

Or some anarchists decided to show up just for fun?

ruby59|1485197946|4118604 said:
Don't some of you think this might have been too long a day for young children?

ruby59|1485201895|4118631 said:
You are in a group of tens of thousands of women. I do not think it would be that easy to just get out, find your car, and drive home.

Have you ever tried to leave after a concert or sporting event? It can take hours just to get out, find your car, and be on the road.

ruby59|1485206807|4118684 said:
Try explaining that one to your young children.
This in reference to some of the outfits worn.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Calliecake|1485211024|4118721 said:
Ruby, Can I ask how old you are? I'm just curious.

My parents handled this the same way Arcadian's did. We were told what the parts of our bodies were called as soon as we asked the question.

ruby 59.

59 stands for the year I was born.

I will be 58 in May.

I feel older then my chronological age because I have experienced a lot during it. After my dad died, and my mom went into a depression, I had to grow up fast I also have some health problems that at times make me feel a lot older.

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
katharath|1485212920|4118745 said:
lovedogs|1485212733|4118741 said:

Hear, hear!! It was really something special!!

It was super empowering for me to be out there. I have long battled with body image issues. I'm been working on this for a few years now. Being among all those confident women at the march was like a final exam for me. I loved it!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was not a fan of the women who dressed up like vaginas (I felt it took away credibility, respect, etc.), but I support the right to march, to speak freely, etc.

Try explaining golden showers, or grabbing by the pussy. Thanks to our president those topics are dinner conversation now. To quote the cheesy Billy Joel song, we didn't start the fire.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Calliecake|1485208988|4118707 said:

And by what mom said about that young boy looking confused, it was obviously not working there.

Ok, so your child knows what a vagina is?

Now how do you explain to them why a bunch of women are dressed as one?

Do you explain the P word and all that Trump has done in his past to a 6 year old.

Isn't this what you're doing though? Maybe YOU wouldn't take your children to the march, but what if there are children who are quicker to understand, like my friend's children. I would never think twice about them going to the march and would expect no less.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
athenaworth|1485215855|4118769 said:

Try explaining golden showers, or grabbing by the pussy. Thanks to our president those topics are dinner conversation now. To quote the cheesy Billy Joel song, we didn't start the fire.

Pillow talk between spouses, maybe, but at the dinner table in front of young children, I hope not.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's just AMAZING to me that one person can continually twist things around to derail and make it all about them. So weird!

For the record, my 5 year old niece asked my brother and I what a pussy was. We had CNN on some months ago. And now that man is her president! So I made it a special point to have that talk with her about how her body is a wonderful thing to be respected, and we were very proud of her mom who chose to march.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Elliot86|1485216919|4118779 said:
It's just AMAZING to me that one person can continually twist things around to derail and make it all about them. So weird!

For the record, my 5 year old niece asked my brother and I what a pussy was. We had CNN on some months ago. And now that man is her president! So I made it a special point to have that talk with her about how her body is a wonderful thing to be respected, and we were very proud of her mom who chose to march.

Who are you babbling now to. Quote and paste might help.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the tip :lol: :lol: :lol:

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Elliot86|1485217616|4118787 said:
Thanks for the tip :lol: :lol: :lol:

When I had my unique way of posting, you accused me of trying to cause trouble and doing it on purpose.

So again quote, please,

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found out today the march was three times bigger than Trump's inauguration crowd. Oh MAN I bet that pisses him off!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
At what point Ruby do you realize that while you don't consider what you say to be offensive, it is. The lack of personal insight is alarming. This is a thread dedicated to the Women's March. When I mentioned I should have taken my 9 year old, you compared that to CHILD ABUSE. How should I and other people reacted? At some point you need to take responsibility for what you say. I say that to my 9 year old ALL THE TIME. She is very bright.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1485219084|4118803 said:
At what point Ruby do you realize that while you don't consider what you say to be offensive, it is. The lack of personal insight is alarming. This is a thread dedicated to the Women's March. When I mentioned I should have taken my 9 year old, you compared that to CHILD ABUSE. How should I and other people reacted? At some point you need to take responsibility for what you say. I say that to my 9 year old ALL THE TIME. She is very bright.

Go back a page. My response was to Chrono below. It had nothing to do with you.

Why are we women judging other women again? Why judge other's parenting styles and decisions? Only they know what their situation is and whether they can handle it. If they want to bring their child to the March, that is their choice. If they don't feel comfortable bringing their child to the March, that is their choice.

My answer is that if you see a situation then sometimes you need to speak up. It was for all situations in life not solely pertaining to the March. Believe it or not, Not all women are perfect in their decision making..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results