clarity

Women's March Jan 21, 2017

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AGBF|1485051790|4117863 said:
Calliecake|1485047619|4117841 said:
ericad|1484957922|4117183 said:
My husband and I will be marching in Seattle!!!

I would love to hear about your day Erica.

I would, too. And also yours, Sungura.

Deb :wavey:

Just getting on, was a tad under the weather today (not that it stopped me!) so I zonked out on the couch when we got home lol. It was AWESOME! 3x the expected turnout, so many men and children present, and peaceful all around. I had the fortune of marching next to some ladies blasting Janet Jackson's Nasty on their phone, which was icing on a perfect day. We were at the front of the march, so once we had reached our endpoint some 3.5 miles away, we walked back via parallel street and seeing that sea of people who kept swelling through the streets as far as the eye could see was truly something to behold.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the cheerful moment, Erica! :wavey:

Hugs,
Deb

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
Hello All

Thanks for the well wishes and thanks katharath, Ericad and Lovedogs for posting pics and articles. I was in Washington DC for the march and it was one of the most unforgettable experience of my life. The crowd was hopeful, enthusiastic, inclusive and kind. I was shocked by the patience and calm this massive group displayed. Whether waiting a full hour to exit the metro station or being too far away from the speakers to hear, or marching in a sea of humanity that stopped marching often for no apparent reason, every attendee, without exception, was aware of those around them and kind to each other. The crowds parted easily for strollers and wheelchairs. No one bumped into me without excusing themselves and no one tried to move past me or in front of me without looking me in the eye first and saying "excuse me". This patience and kindness was extraordinary and deeply affected me.

I loved seeing people of every description. My crude estimate is that the crowd was 75% women and girls and appeared roughly consistent with the demographics of the US as a whole (excluding gender of course). People were supporting many causes and the majority of posters and signs were positive messages. The majority appeared to be about inclusion, and human rights for all followed by so many proud women asking for he right to make decisions about their bodies. Any many honoring Mother Earth and calling for her protection. There were also many, clever and funny messages. I'll make a collage of my favorites as ericad did and post shortly

Though raised in a household in NJ with a mother who actively supported social justice efforts and a moderate republican father, I was never active politically. My first opportunity to vote was the regan carter election and I didn't vote again until 2008. My grandmother graduated from university before she had the right to vote and she supported that effort. My mother marched in Washington many times during the civil rights and earlier women's movements and my siblings marched against the Vietnam war. I guess I thought that was all behind us and my activism was focused outside the US. I am now engaged locally as part of my dark blue town was just gerrymandered into a republican district.

Thanks all for sharing your thoughts in this thread. I Hope other will share their experiences regardless of whether they walked or participated by watching online.

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
Others I loved:
  • let's talk about the elephant in the womb
    You can't comb over bigotry
    Deport Hate
    A woman's place is in the House and in the Senate
    Women's rights are human rights
    March forward, not backward

img_14637.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Matata|1485112980|4118117 said:
Women's March biggest protest in history. http://usuncut.com/news/womens-march-largest-protest-us-history/

I saw a meme on FB stating that the DC police issued a statement that there were no arrests but it lacked a citation so don't know if it's accurate.

I saw some of the signs. Also the magnitude of the crowd. Besides the obvious if something happened, and how would you safely protect your children in that crowd - Does anyone else think, this was not a place to bring your children?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1485114628|4118133 said:
Women's March biggest protest in history. http://usuncut.com/news/womens-march-largest-protest-us-history/

I saw a meme on FB stating that the DC police issued a statement that there were no arrests but it lacked a citation so don't know if it's accurate.

I saw some of the signs. Also the magnitude of the crowd. Besides the obvious if something happened, and how would you safely protect your children in that crowd - Does anyone else think, this was not a place to bring your children?

I can't believe I'm about to say this... but for the second time today WE AGREE!

In addition to safety in terms of what could go wrong when your're in a group of that many people, what if you were somehow separated? Another reason (in my opinion) is that the child has no voice in this so to put their face out there seems somehow wrong to me. I mean, what if the child, when later in life with the capacity to reason and make his or her own decisions, feels being at that rally was wrong and in retrospect given the choice would have chosen not to go?

(BTW, I do understand that people may not have had anyone with whom to leave the child. I guess in that scenario you have to make the choice as to what is "better," i.e., going and taking the child or not going.)

I've also seen pictures of people at the events with dogs. And no, I'm not equating dogs to children, but it also struck me as a bad idea. How do you protect the pooch? What if you got separated? What if (god forbid) the crowd ran for some reason and the animal was trampled?

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1485115305|4118137 said:

I can't believe I'm about to say this... but for the second time today WE AGREE!

In addition to safety in terms of what could go wrong when your're in a group of that many people, what if you were somehow separated? Another reason (in my opinion) is that the child has no voice in this so to put their face out there seems somehow wrong to me. I mean, what if the child, when later in life with the capacity to reason and make his or her own decisions, feels being at that rally was wrong and in retrospect given the choice would have chosen not to go?

(BTW, I do understand that people may not have had anyone with whom to leave the child. I guess in that scenario you have to make the choice as to what is "better," i.e., going and taking the child or not going.)

I've also seen pictures of people at the events with dogs. And no, I'm not equating dogs to children, but it also struck me as a bad idea. How do you protect the pooch? What if you got separated? What if (god forbid) the crowd ran for some reason and the animal was trampled?

With the dogs, in a crowd of that many people, even the most socialized ones could be easily frightened.

And from a practical point of view, during that long day, a dog needs food, water, a place to do its business. How were people taking care of that in a crowd where you could barely move?

As to the children, no matter how strongly you feel about attending that march, once you are a mother, your children come first.
It would be a long day for a young child in tow, they get hungry, tired, have to go to the bathroom.

But I am also referring to older children, those who are of reading age. I would hate to be caught between marchers with very explicit signs and have my children forced to look at them for the greater part of the day.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much Sungura and Erica for sharing your day with all of us here. What an experience! I am so proud of you both!!!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was in Los Angeles yesterday!
It was amazing. A gathering of 750,000, so I've read. Marching for Love, Compassion, and Peace.
In such a huge crowd, you might think it would be scary, but no, I did not ever feel anything but support for one another.
I saw women, I saw men. I saw people of all ages (and no, I would not have taken children or animals, but I saw some very young children and dogs.)
I saw mostly able bodied, and also some in wheelchairs or on scooters.
Not one moment of tension. I never even saw a police officer.
On the street, on the train, on the bus, everyone was full of friendship, love and support.
This is how America should be and how it can be, if we decide to make it so.
I hope and pray this will be, one day.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1485115305|4118137 said:

I actually really wished I had gone and brought my daughter. At the young age of 9 my daughter has strong opinions regarding our new president. What a wonderful opportunity to show her how to peacefully and respectfully express her concerns. I loved seeing the children at the marches. What a wonderful experience for them to see. I saw a beautiful photo on FB of a woman holding her young, sleeping daughter. Her sign said "If you aren't angry, you aren't paying attention." This goes so beyond political parties.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why are we women judging other women again? Why judge other's parenting styles and decisions? Only they know what their situation is and whether they can handle it. If they want to bring their child to the March, that is their choice. If they don't feel comfortable bringing their child to the March, that is their choice.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1485120690|4118191 said:
Why are we women judging other women again? Why judge other's parenting styles and decisions? Only they know what their situation is and whether they can handle it. If they want to bring their child to the March, that is their choice. If they don't feel comfortable bringing their child to the March, that is their choice.

Again, where am I judging anyone.

Simply asking questions of women who were there.

In a crowd of that magnitude, where you could barely move, how were you able to take care of the needs of your pets and children?

I was a young mother once and I could not imagine how some could hold a 9 month old child and a sign in a very crowded area for the better part of a day. How did you maneuver feedings, diaper changes.

With the dogs, how did you calm them? Were there designated areas for them to do their business? Were they given water throughout the day.

As a young mother I also thought I could handle a situation with them until I realized I could not.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock

:clap: :clap: :clap:

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1485121314|4118200 said:

Even all 3 news stations were questioning letting young children see many of those signs.

Curious but would you feel the same way if you saw a woman abusing her child or putting it in what you thought was a dangerous situation?(And I am not referring to the march).

All women are not invincible. Some can even be dead wrong in their decisions.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ruby,
Again, it is the parent's choice, whether it is right or wrong in anyone else's mind.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1485121487|4118202 said:
Ruby,
Again, it is the parent's choice, whether it is right or wrong in anyone else's mind.

We have laws to protect children.

Again, not referring to the march.

But we have children taken away daily from their parents by DYCF for making poor choices

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
ruby59|1485121415|4118201 said:
Tacori E-ring|1485121314|4118200 said:

Even all 3 news stations were questioning letting young children see many of those signs.

Curious but would you feel the same way if you saw a woman abusing her child or putting it in what you thought was a dangerous situation?(And I am not referring to the march).

Luckily I don't make my parenting decisions based on random opinions. I think it would be a great, historic moment to be part of. I have not read any incidents of violence or danger. Please link an article if I missed it. To compare my desire for my daughter to see the power of love and a common voice to child abuse is insulting. :rolleyes: I think you are crossing a line here.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ruby,
I am talking about bringing children to the March, nothing else. There is no law barring parents from bringing their child to the March. This thread is to discuss the March. If you wish to discuss laws about protecting children and taking them away from their parents for neglect and abuse, please start a new thread about it and I will participate.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1485121782|4118207 said:
Ruby,
I am talking about bringing children to the March, nothing else. There is no law barring parents from bringing their child to the March. This thread is to discuss the March. If you wish to discuss laws about protecting children and taking them away from their parents for neglect and abuse, please start a new thread about it and I will participate.
Thanks for attempting to keep us on track Chrono. Ruby: that is an offensive analogy and doesn't even make sense.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It made my eyes well up with happy tears to see many of my dear friends bring their children to the march yesterday. I'm sure if the children had any questions they were given thoughtful and enriching answers. So glad there are parents who will teach their kids about social justice early in life!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh. And in a crowd of half a million, not a single arrest was made at the women's march in DC. It's too bad some women choose to dismiss how strong, smart, and capable other women can be, but it seems lots of tough ladies handled things just fine!

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
I can't think of a safer place to bring a child than with a group of women. If there were any threat or any help needed I guarantee women would be all over it. From what I experienced yesterday in DC, all attendees were helping groups to stay together.

As for the "content" of the march and signs - there were so many opportunities for teachable moments for children of any age; and children of any race or gender or ability or creed could find countless examples of other confident people just like them marching for their hopes and dreams and rights.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't know if you also meant me. I wasn't intending to judge, I am sorry if I came across that way. I was more concerned that such a large, crowded gathering might be difficult or frightening. Of course, all parents must make the best choices for their own families.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
lovedogs|1485129158|4118248 said:
Ruby,
Thanks for attempting to keep us on track Chrono. Ruby: that is an offensive analogy and doesn't even make sense.

I will speak up when I have questions and concerns.

If you find it offensive, then know I do as well when I see young children thrust into adult situations that they are too young for.

And I can certainly show concern when I think of young children in a crowd of people where one small incident could cause them to be hurt or separated from their parents.

All of you in the other thread agreed that Trump supporters should deal or move on if they read something they do not like. You are free to do the same.

Keep it on track - you mean only say positive things about the March.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
ruby59|1485139102|4118324 said:
Ruby,

If you find it offensive, then know I do as well when I see young children thrust into adult situations that they are too young for.

And I can certainly show concern when I think of young children in a crowd of people where one small incident could cause them to be hurt or separated from their parents.

All of you in the other thread agreed that Trump supporters should deal or move on if they read something they do not like. You are free to do the same.

Wow.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tacori E-ring|1485139864|4118328 said:
ruby59|1485139102|4118324 said:
Ruby,

Wow.

The first bold is your opinion, not fact. Obviously the children's parents disagreed with you. The second bolded part is just silly. What I mean by "keep it on track" was in response to this quote by you:

You moved away from the march and began discussing what to do if we saw a woman abusing her child. And then somehow brought it around to talk about how all women aren't invincible. If you can't see why I labeled that as getting "off track", then I'm not sure what else to tell you...

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Popping in to say thanks to Sungura and Erica for the great pics and description. So moved by yesterday, and thankful for it. I will exit before saying anything too controversial, lol.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to share that yesterday, DD was at work. The cafe closed early because everything sold out early (due to the march in Raleigh). When she went to leave, bus service was apparently delayed/halted, so she ventured around downtown a bit to check it out. She shared with me that it was a really enjoyable, peaceful event with women and some men, all ethnicities and orientations. People were talking, marching, and being very respectful of others as well as the community, streets, etc. The only "unpleasant" incident she witnessed was a small group of pro-lifers who were attempting to engage/disrupt/provoke some of the marchers, but thankfully it did not turn violent.

DD estimated the crowd to be in the thousands, but unsure exactly since they were spread out over a few blocks.

Just thought you all might appreciate a report from another town. :wavey:

ETA: DD is 18, just to offer an age perspective.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1485143696|4118362 said:
Just wanted to share that yesterday, DD was at work. The cafe closed early because everything sold out early (due to the march in Raleigh). When she went to leave, bus service was apparently delayed/halted, so she ventured around downtown a bit to check it out. She shared with me that it was a really enjoyable, peaceful event with women and some men, all ethnicities and orientations. People were talking, marching, and being very respectful of others as well as the community, streets, etc. The only "unpleasant" incident she witnessed was a small group of pro-lifers who were attempting to engage/disrupt/provoke some of the marchers, but thankfully it did not turn violent.

DD estimated the crowd to be in the thousands, but unsure exactly since they were spread out over a few blocks.

Just thought you all might appreciate a report from another town. :wavey:

ETA: DD is 18, just to offer an age perspective.

Thanks for sharing, Jen! Glad to continue hearing that things were almost entirely peaceful. It makes me really happy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results